Grub Hub/Seamless

Grub Hub/Seamless

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Sat Feb 06, 2021 4:44 pm

I work from home and wake up whenever I want. I'm fortunate.

But what the fuck is up with these delivery services charging obscene amounts of money for vegetarian nachos?

Wait, I object.
xxxMidgexxx

Re: Grub Hub/Seamless

Postby lewdd » Sat Feb 06, 2021 5:10 pm

so what exactly are vegetarian nachos
lewdd

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Sat Feb 06, 2021 5:18 pm

:?
xxxMidgexxx

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Thu Sep 30, 2021 1:26 pm

Anyone else LIVE for Seamless like me?

I'm a fat fuck that can't be bothered cooking. Give me convenience or give me death.

I just had an Impossible Whopper and jalapeño poppers.
xxxMidgexxx

Postby lewdd » Thu Sep 30, 2021 2:14 pm

What is Seamless?

The only delivery I get is from a pizza shop or from Jersey Mike's on days when they offer free delivery.
lewdd

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Thu Sep 30, 2021 2:53 pm

:?

Do you even Google, bro?
xxxMidgexxx

Postby lewdd » Thu Sep 30, 2021 4:45 pm

xxxMidgexxx wrote::?

Do you even Google, bro?

Why when I have you?
lewdd

Postby scannest » Fri Oct 01, 2021 7:34 am

Those services rip off delivery people and the restaurants they work with equally. Fuck them. Just call the place directly. Many times they deliver themselves without the extra fees. And if the don't (McDonalds, Wendys, etc.), why are you ordering take out from them in the first place?
"It's got some great chanting on it" - gregpolard.
scannest

Postby patient_ot » Fri Oct 01, 2021 8:59 am

In my area, Doordash has taken over most of the delivery services. Very few restaurants do any delivery on their own. They do take a substantial cut, but the restaurants responded by increasing prices for food sold on Doordash. If you want lower prices you call and place a carry out order, and then go pick it up yourself. Right now I'm trying to prepare food at home more and limit myself to delivery or carry out only once a week.
patient_ot

Postby JGJR » Fri Oct 01, 2021 9:01 am

scannest wrote:Those services rip off delivery people and the restaurants they work with equally. Fuck them. Just call the place directly. Many times they deliver themselves without the extra fees. And if the don't (McDonalds, Wendys, etc.), why are you ordering take out from them in the first place?

I agree with most of this, but an exception is the Slice app, which apparently takes care of the restaurants and delivery people much more than Seamless/Grubhub. It's just for pizza, though, but I try to use that instead of the others or to just get it from them directly whenever possible.
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Fri Oct 01, 2021 12:06 pm

From what was explained to me, not every restaurant has their own delivery person. Seamless was supposed to be providing a delivery person as well to be able to allow a LOT of these places to service on line area customers that they wouldn't be able to deliver to in the first place. So that actually gives the stores MORE business.
xxxMidgexxx

Postby patient_ot » Fri Oct 01, 2021 1:28 pm

xxxMidgexxx wrote:From what was explained to me, not every restaurant has their own delivery person. Seamless was supposed to be providing a delivery person as well to be able to allow a LOT of these places to service on line area customers that they wouldn't be able to deliver to in the first place. So that actually gives the stores MORE business.

That's the theory. The value prop is the app provides a way to order online and an on-demand delivery driver so the restaurant doesn't have to invest in those things or pay the overhead associated with them. The downside is these apps can skim up to 30% of the restaurant's gross income per order. If the restaurant can raise prices so they don't have to eat that 30% and still retain online customers at a decent volume, it's worth it for them. If the restaurant cannot do that these apps mean the restaurant loses money or barely breaks even. During the pandemic some places felt compelled to use them and not raise prices, which is basically business suicide over the long term. Like I said, most restaurants in my area eventually raised prices and customers that want the food delivered seem okay with paying a premium for it.

Now, what I did not like is the various scandals where the app service was skimming off tips or taking the entire tip instead of giving it to the delivery driver. This problem seems to be somewhat solved after people complained about it and publicly embarrassed these companies for being shitbags.

As much as there are downsides to these apps I still think they are a much better deal for a restaurant than the crap trend a few years back with Living Social and Groupon.
patient_ot

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Fri Oct 01, 2021 1:36 pm

There is 1 VERY small mom and pop deli around 15 minutes from me that have no delivery person. But I LOVE their food and since I work from home all day long during the week, I never have time to get there. I was very pleased to see that they were on Seamless and that they deliver. I give them 3 orders a week which includes a big on line grocery selection too.

If they were not on Seamless, they would be getting zero dollars from me a week.
xxxMidgexxx

Postby patient_ot » Fri Oct 01, 2021 4:03 pm

xxxMidgexxx wrote:There is 1 VERY small mom and pop deli around 15 minutes from me that have no delivery person. But I LOVE their food and since I work from home all day long during the week, I never have time to get there. I was very pleased to see that they were on Seamless and that they deliver. I give them 3 orders a week which includes a big on line grocery selection too.

If they were not on Seamless, they would be getting zero dollars from me a week.

Yep, we have places like that here too. Places that are out of the way, don't feel like driving down to, weird hours, virtual restaurants that only take online orders, etc. As long as the restaurant has a good business model for delivery orders and is not letting the delivery company eat into profits too much, it can work out okay for the restaurant. I do think over time the restaurants will have to put pressure on these companies to be more efficient and lower their cut. One thing they can start with is the delivery service equivalent of BC Friday.
patient_ot

Postby lewdd » Fri Oct 01, 2021 9:16 pm

Look at the end of the day as long as the business doesn't have to add more staff to support the additional volume from the incremental business they get from these delivery services any incremental gross margin net of delivery service fees they are making goes into their pockets.

Bad business is bad business. If they are losing money on the order they shouldn't accept the business and use these delivery services. Part of the problem is that these people running business have great products but may not have great business acumen and understanding of where their profits are made. Don't blame that on the delivery service.
lewdd

Postby lewdd » Sat Oct 02, 2021 10:19 am

I just ordered from Jersey Mike's....free on Saturday until sometime in November
lewdd

Postby NotBaker » Thu Oct 07, 2021 10:53 am

Looks like I'm an outlier, but I generally don't do delivery food. Maybe I'm just old or cheap. Mostly I think I don't see picking it up as too much of a hassle and don't want my food to potentially arrive cold or late.
NotBaker

Postby scannest » Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:47 pm

xxxMidgexxx wrote:If they were not on Seamless, they would be getting zero dollars from me a week.

Using that very same argument, musicians you LOVE should be thrilled to get the pennies per month they make when you stream their music. Cuz if it wasn't for streaming, they'd get zero dollars from you. Right?
"It's got some great chanting on it" - gregpolard.
scannest

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Thu Oct 07, 2021 4:20 pm

scannest wrote:
xxxMidgexxx wrote:If they were not on Seamless, they would be getting zero dollars from me a week.

Using that very same argument, musicians you LOVE should be thrilled to get the pennies per month they make when you stream their music. Cuz if it wasn't for streaming, they'd get zero dollars from you. Right?

I will give my deli (and all others) your name and number and let them know that you have issue with the entire miserable system and have convinced me not to order from them anymore.

Let me know how it works out.
xxxMidgexxx

Return to daghouse