Bandcamp Friday...Again

Bandcamp Friday...Again

Postby lewdd » Fri Feb 05, 2021 6:55 am

It's bandcamp Friday again where all proceeds go to the bands and bandcamp skips their cut. I bought a few things this morning and will revisit again this afternoon.

For those that remember Joe Rivas who used to post on here years ago, he has 5 songs from one of his bands, Out Of Trust, available to purchase digitally.

https://outoftrust.bandcamp.com/album/idiocracy
lewdd

Re: Bandcamp Friday...Again

Postby scannest » Fri Feb 05, 2021 7:11 am

I figure someone here must have a clue about this:

https://shop.alonasdreamrecords.com/alb ... n-may-1981

DC hardcore punk legends Assault & Battery featured members of the original lineup of Government Issue, Artificial Peace, Marginal Man and Savage Beliefs.

Rob Moss - bass
Brian Gay - guitar
Mike Manos - drums
Steve Polcari - vocals
"It's got some great chanting on it" - gregpolard.
scannest

Postby lewdd » Fri Feb 05, 2021 8:34 am

I have that on my wish list. Would be nice to get some insight from someone on here about that record.
lewdd

Postby gregpolard » Fri Feb 05, 2021 9:01 am

scannest wrote:I figure someone here must have a clue about this:

DC hardcore punk legends Assault & Battery featured members of the original lineup of Government Issue, Artificial Peace, Marginal Man and Savage Beliefs.

Rob Moss - bass
Brian Gay - guitar
Mike Manos - drums
Steve Polcari - vocals

This sounds rad! Thanks for sharing.

Edit: It's bandcamp friday so I preordered the vinyl
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby version sound » Fri Feb 05, 2021 9:28 am

Thanks for the heads up, scanny. I was aware of A&B - they were on Bouncing Babies and I think Lost & Found released this demo at some point - but not of this particular release. Obviously, they were basically an early incarnation of Artificial Peace, and a lot of these songs ended up on the AP demo. Still interesting to hear. Now I have to decide whether I NEED this...
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby gregpolard » Fri Feb 05, 2021 11:23 am

version sound wrote:Thanks for the heads up, scanny. I was aware of A&B - they were on Bouncing Babies and I think Lost & Found released this demo at some point - but not of this particular release. Obviously, they were basically an early incarnation of Artificial Peace, and a lot of these songs ended up on the AP demo. Still interesting to hear. Now I have to decide whether I NEED this...

I figured why not? it's bandcamp friday. haha
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby lewdd » Fri Feb 05, 2021 12:50 pm

It probably would have been cheaper for me to go to the record store today than buy what I did on bandcamp. The downside is I am running out of physical space for records and CDs.
lewdd

Postby Marc M » Fri Feb 05, 2021 2:32 pm

Marc M

Postby scannest » Fri Feb 05, 2021 2:48 pm

Anyone ever mention these guys here?

https://highcameras.bandcamp.com/album/4-song-ep

Adam Wade on drums. I think it's pretty excellent. Maybe Matt posted it on FB or something?
scannest

Postby version sound » Fri Feb 05, 2021 3:29 pm

scannest wrote:Anyone ever mention these guys here?

https://highcameras.bandcamp.com/album/4-song-ep

Adam Wade on drums. I think it's pretty excellent. Maybe Matt posted it on FB or something?

Ooooh, I like that. It has the kind of Big Star influence that’s often promised and seldom delivered.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby Gary » Fri Feb 05, 2021 4:18 pm

Rob Moss - bass
Brian Gay - guitar
Mike Manos - drums
Steve Polcari - vocals

I think some of that that recording is on this

https://www.discogs.com/Artificial-Peac ... er/1704243
Gary

Postby version sound » Fri Feb 05, 2021 4:24 pm

Gary wrote:

Rob Moss - bass
Brian Gay - guitar
Mike Manos - drums
Steve Polcari - vocals

I think some of that that recording is on this

https://www.discogs.com/Artificial-Peac ... er/1704243

I think you’re right. I don’t think that AP ever recorded “Evidence,” so some of that is definitely A&B.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby gregpolard » Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:53 am

What's everyone's bandcamp Friday pickups?

Today I grabbed the Tuning LP on Indecision Records (fans of Verbal Assault, etc take note)
And then I thought I was done until they sent that email about the Lungfish reissue of "Love Is Love" and added "Talking Songs for Walking" since I no longer have any of their stuff on vinyl that I had in the 90s.
gregpolard

Postby lewdd » Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:56 am

I'm sure I will drop about $100 this afternoon on items on my wish list. I think I received about 30 emails from Bandcamp already this morning from bands/labels who I have bought from in the past.
lewdd

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Fri Mar 05, 2021 10:02 am

I've bought like $50 worth of Bandcamp records in the past few months. I guess I should start listening to most of the them.
xxxMidgexxx

Postby scannest » Fri Mar 05, 2021 11:06 am

So far this morning I've bought:
The J ROBBINS covers EP and hisnew single ("Automaticty")
A new single by THE RUBS
The SKULL PRACTITIONERS 'Death Buy' EP
A pre-order of THE BLIPS S/T album out in April
The digital download of SLOAN's 'One Chord to Another' box set which was way too expensive for me to buy on vinyl when it came out.
scannest

Postby patient_ot » Fri Mar 05, 2021 11:25 am

Not buying anything today but I will plug a friend's project. This is an underground hip hop compilation.

https://icypalmsrecords.bandcamp.com/album/reheated

Right now it's cassette only with a free digital download. When the tapes sell out, digital will be available. It looks like 2xLP vinyl might happen eventually also.
patient_ot

Postby earthdog70 » Fri Mar 05, 2021 1:54 pm

J. Robbins-New single
Roger Miller's Trinary System-Single
Hale Bopp Astronauts-JESOMET

:bag:
"And so it goes."-Kurt Vonnegut
earthdog70

Postby lewdd » Fri Mar 05, 2021 3:15 pm

Cheap day so far but I didn't start drinking beers yet.

Berlin Blackouts (with Peter from the Test Tube Babies) - Make Punk Rock Great Again
DBL - Lonely Town
The Pogos (Media, PA band) - Drinkin' till the End and Ten Beers In songs that have been on my list for over a year.

I had 116 items on the wish list before I started today. Got down to 97 with those that were free and that I was able to find elsewhere. Now I will have to be more selective of the remaining 93 to see which ones get my money today.
lewdd

Postby lewdd » Fri Mar 05, 2021 6:50 pm

Bought a few things from No Fraud from FL that were not free and downloaded the rest for free. I am gonna grab Sloth Fist from Maxey to support a Daghouser like I have on a few other Bandcamp Fridays.

Greg, do any of your bands have stuff on Bandcamp?
lewdd

Postby Marc M » Fri Mar 05, 2021 10:12 pm

lewdd wrote:Bought a few things from No Fraud from FL that were not free and downloaded the rest for free. I am gonna grab Sloth Fist from Maxey to support a Daghouser like I have on a few other Bandcamp Fridays.

Greg, do any of your bands have stuff on Bandcamp?

Thanks Lew! Lemme know what you think.
Marc M

Postby Markonomicon » Thu Mar 18, 2021 4:56 pm

I ordered a couple cds...

Writhing Squares "Chart For The Solution"

https://thewrithingsquares.bandcamp.com ... e-solution

One description read something like "Suicide meets Hawkwind". I checked it out and was sold. 2 man band...distorted bass, garage punk vocals, saxophone, trippy.

Spectres "Nostalgia"

I was already familiar with their earlier stuff. It was ok. This lp, however, is incredible. Had it on my want list a while. Imagine Joy Division meets Modern English.

https://spectresvancouver.bandcamp.com/album/nostalgia
Markonomicon

Postby Neal » Thu Mar 18, 2021 5:57 pm

spectres would have my last show before lockdown. they played here on the way down the coast and i skipped it. then on their way back up, everything went into lockdown and their intended 2nd show got canceled. great band though. dragged my non punk friends to their show in spain a few years ago and they all really liked them too.

last bc friday i got the john henry west studio tracks discography. and i bought all the cds from headsparks, who you might like if you like snuff and british melodic/pop punk type stuff. ex gan, servo, donfisher.
https://headsparks1.bandcamp.com/
Neal

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Thu Mar 18, 2021 6:08 pm

Neal wrote:last bc friday i got the john henry west studio tracks discography.

They were a very good band. I knew Jon Bower when he was in Scherzo. They stayed at my house. Extremely excellent folk. I still talk to Marc Tamo. ‘Suffering and Joy’ is one of my favorite Lookout! Records.
xxxMidgexxx

Postby Neal » Thu Mar 18, 2021 6:32 pm

xxxMidgexxx wrote:
Neal wrote:last bc friday i got the john henry west studio tracks discography.

They were a very good band. I knew Jon Bower when he was in Scherzo. They stayed at my house. Extremely excellent folk. I still talk to Marc Tamo. ‘Suffering and Joy’ is one of my favorite Lookout! Records.

yeah, i love scherzo and monsula. i got the life is change vol. 3 cd recently and it has a couple unreleased scherzo songs. i still need to get that araby 7" with jon bower.
Neal

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Thu Mar 18, 2021 6:40 pm

Neal wrote:yeah, i love scherzo and monsula.

First time I saw Scherzo was with Monsula. Bill is another very good cat. I saw them in Billings, Montana. Summer 1991. Maybe 30 people showed up but good for a weeknight in the sticks and both bands kicked butt.
Last edited by xxxMidgexxx on Thu Mar 18, 2021 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
xxxMidgexxx

Postby Markonomicon » Thu Mar 18, 2021 7:48 pm

That Scherzo lp was pretty good.

One of the guitar players went on to Enemy You/Western Addiction/Dead To Me.
Markonomicon

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:58 pm

Whoever doesn’t have the Too Many Voices album should really rectify that and buy on Bandcamp. Truly a GREAT album. The grooves, the melodies, the production are pretty damn flawless. And plenty of tempo control which especially makes it nice. Have this one in regular rotation for a few weeks now.
xxxMidgexxx

Postby JGJR » Sun Mar 21, 2021 12:02 pm

Markonomicon wrote:

Spectres "Nostalgia"

I was already familiar with their earlier stuff. It was ok. This lp, however, is incredible. Had it on my want list a while. Imagine Joy Division meets Modern English.

So after this recommendation and that of jaybird, I decided to give this a listen earlier. You weren't kidding. I'd describe it as much more early New Order (particularly Movement) meets early Modern English, but with hints of other bands of that great era like The Chameleons. I like it a lot. It's one of the better records I've heard in that style in recent years.
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby lewdd » Sun Mar 21, 2021 1:20 pm

I invested about 15 seconds in listening to the Spectres. I can get behind listening to more at a later date.
lewdd

Postby JGJR » Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:12 am

lewdd wrote:I invested about 15 seconds in listening to the Spectres. I can get behind listening to more at a later date.

Oh your late '80s Moz, New Order, etc. listening self would love that album, lewdd. Glad I'm not wrong.
JGJR

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Fri Apr 02, 2021 7:47 am

Just purchased Signal the Witch 'Lupita' EP. 5 songs from this Brooklyn 'band'. Very tuneful HEAVY 60's psych sound that could be neo-shoe gazer. Addictive. Worth the few bucks I spent. And more.l
xxxMidgexxx

Postby pedro » Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:02 am

I just bought Los Straitjackets cover of "Funk #49". They have been releasing a cover every couple of weeks and they are quite good, if you're into that kind of thing.
Hello.
pedro

Postby scannest » Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:08 am

I bought Scott Reynolds' acoustic album that he recorded will Bill out at the Blasting Room. The man drives me nuts, but there is no denying the awesomeness of "The Boy Who Stole Your Heart."
scannest

Postby lewdd » Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:20 am

I went with compilation releases so far today. Will probably grab a few other things before the day is out.

The Best of Heartbeat Records by Various Artists
SLC Punkcast: A Benefit Compilation by SLC Punkcast
Punx Unite by Charged Records
Oi! Lis'sen to this! Give Depres... by 8UP Records
Oi! Lis'sen to this! Give Depres... by 8UP Records
Give Depression The Boot Vol. 3 by 8UP Records
lewdd

Postby jaybird » Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:20 am

JGJR wrote:
Markonomicon wrote:

Spectres "Nostalgia"

So after this recommendation and that of jaybird, I decided to give this a listen earlier. You weren't kidding. I'd describe it as much more early New Order (particularly Movement) meets early Modern English, but with hints of other bands of that great era like The Chameleons. I like it a lot. It's one of the better records I've heard in that style in recent years.

I think you may have me confused with someone else who recommended this band... or maybe i recommended them in a late-night drunken/fugue state and do not remember doing so.... either way, upon listening today, I do agree with your description and 2nd this suggestion (again?)
jaybird

Postby lewdd » Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:40 am

This will wrap it up for me for today. I will catch that Dopamines singles/rarities release in May.

SKA AU GO GO by Neville Staple
Gimme Some Lovin' (OWTH) by Off With Their Heads
GOO GOO DOLLS Ego, Opinion, Art ... by Beat The SysTem Label
Day Drinker by Day Drinker
Violent Way - EP by VIOLENT WAY
Assisted Armageddon by The War Goes On
Destination Unknown by Drinking Squad
Full of Hope by Drinking Squad
lewdd

Postby JGJR » Fri Apr 02, 2021 12:03 pm

scannest wrote:I bought Scott Reynolds' acoustic album that he recorded will Bill out at the Blasting Room. The man drives me nuts, but there is no denying the awesomeness of "The Boy Who Stole Your Heart."

Is this about the solo album from a few years back that was delayed a bunch or something else? He has helped me in a time of great distress years ago, so I'd have a lot of leeway with him.
JGJR

Postby JGJR » Fri Apr 02, 2021 12:05 pm

jaybird wrote:
JGJR wrote:
Markonomicon wrote:

Spectres "Nostalgia"

I think you may have me confused with someone else who recommended this band... or maybe i recommended them in a late-night drunken/fugue state and do not remember doing so.... either way, upon listening today, I do agree with your description and 2nd this suggestion (again?)

Ha ha. Glad you like.

JGJR

Postby earthdog70 » Fri Apr 02, 2021 5:40 pm

The Eye Captain-Vanessa (digital single)
Mikey Erg-S/T-Vinyl
Ugly Buggs-(Gene Loves Jezebel related)-digital
Robyn Hitchcock-The Man Upstairs-Demos CD

The Dopamines demos collection sold out on vinyl guess I will have to get the digital at some point :x
earthdog70

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:46 pm

Recent purchases:

Signal the Witch
Very good neo 60's indie rock and/or shoe gaze from Brooklyn.

https://signalthewitch.bandcamp.com/track/son-of-soon
https://signalthewitch.bandcamp.com/album/lupita

Vision Quest
2 song female fronted brutal crusty hardcore from the UK. Rages!

https://visionquestukhc.bandcamp.com/album/vision-quest
xxxMidgexxx

Postby lewdd » Fri May 07, 2021 10:49 am

So far, I downloaded these items. May buy something else after I have a few beers. I think I have most everything by Daghousers but if I have not bought your stuff yet LMK.

VICE OF SPADES EP by VICE SQUAD
Boots, Braces & A Bad Attitude by DOUG & THE SLUGZ
Sleepwalking by The Officials
Homicide by 999
4 Past Midnight by Beat The SysTem !!
Sect 59 / Scum by CROWN COURT
Move It On by Hard Wax
Hard Pass: Singles/Rarities 2006... by The Dopamines
lewdd

Postby scannest » Fri May 07, 2021 12:07 pm

I picked up the following:

Williamson Brothers - S/T (these brothers (duh) moonlight as the rhythm section in Lee Bains' band, the Glory Fires)
Crimi - Luci e Guai (Afro-Italiano guitar pop from...France, I think?)
Chris Brokaw - Puritan (holy hell, this SMOKES)
scannest

Postby gregpolard » Fri May 07, 2021 1:48 pm

I grabbed:

digital EP by a band called Zinske
digital / demo tape of a friends band The Deadline (yes, I know Flex Your Head...)
Two vinyl copies of the Split Moon LP for friends
gregpolard

Postby earthdog70 » Fri May 07, 2021 7:58 pm

I got:

Stars Apart-Wagon of Eternity
Two Man Advantage-Dynasty-CD

:arrow:
earthdog70

Postby lewdd » Fri Jun 04, 2021 9:52 am

I don't think I am buying anything today.
lewdd

Postby gregpolard » Fri Jun 04, 2021 10:09 am

scannest content : Sloan put up two of their "bootleg" live albums for download. I might hafta cop.
gregpolard

Postby earthdog70 » Fri Aug 06, 2021 7:14 am

Hey guys-does anyone know if it is Bandcamp Friday today? Oh yeah I just got 50 emails this morning :lol:

Tar box set (with MXV live recording/record) secured.

:bag:
earthdog70

Postby JGJR » Fri Aug 06, 2021 8:46 am

JGJR

Postby gregpolard » Fri Aug 06, 2021 9:05 am

I grabbed one!

I try to get any of the Dischord color vinyl as it pops up.
gregpolard

Next

Return to daghouse