Slayer vs. Metallica - First Four Albums

Slayer vs. Metallica - First Four Albums

Postby version sound » Wed Jan 27, 2021 4:07 pm

Sure, sugar britches, you can like both. I imagine that most of us do. But I’m interested in which you like more and why.

I’m going with Slayer. Those first four records are savage. Even after the first four, they had a AC/DC-like consistency, and I’ve never heard a Slayer record that I didn’t enjoy. The same cannot be said of Metallica, though I have to admit that their first four are pretty great, not just Kill ‘em All, as I have certainly been guilty of claiming from time to time. Master of Puppets, in particular, is a lot better than I remembered. UPDATE: AJFA is pretty killer too. I don’t think I had listened to it since the ‘80s and kind of remembered it as their step toward a more rock, mainstream sound. I was totally wrong.
Last edited by version sound on Wed Jan 27, 2021 4:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Re: Slayer vs. Metallica - First Four Albums

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Wed Jan 27, 2021 4:24 pm

Metallica all the way. Not even a question.
xxxMidgexxx

Postby gregpolard » Wed Jan 27, 2021 5:10 pm

Metallica, absolutely no contest.

Yes, I love Slayer and think that as a whole they had a better career, but I can't tell you the last time I reached for "Show No Mercy" whereas I *can* tell you that for "Kill 'Em All".
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby version sound » Wed Jan 27, 2021 5:20 pm

gregpolard wrote:Metallica, absolutely no contest.

Yes, I love Slayer and think that as a whole they had a better career, but I can't tell you the last time I reached for "Show No Mercy" whereas I *can* tell you that for "Kill 'Em All".

I love Show No Mercy. Those first three records are perfect.

Where are my Slayer peeps??? This is turning into the Dag vs ROS thread all over again.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby Gary » Wed Jan 27, 2021 5:21 pm

Metallica

Controversial Slayer opinion. I like the first two best. The Haunting the Chapel record is my Favourite Slayer record overall.
Gary

Postby gregpolard » Wed Jan 27, 2021 5:23 pm

version sound wrote:

Where are my Slayer peeps??? This is turning into the Dag vs ROS thread all over again.

I'm gonna be real. As a "fugazi demo is their best stuff" guy, before I even clicked on this thread I knew what your vote was. :lol:
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Wed Jan 27, 2021 5:36 pm

Slayer found a popular formal and pretty much never deviated. Under the banner of 'staying true to their sound'. Even when they did the punk album covers it was still thrash metal versions. Not complaining, but that gets redundant.

Metallica made some dodgy career and sound risks, some paid off and many were just awful, but they corrected themselves (like when Rush went too far into keyboard territory and it was too f'n much for people). I don't listen to Slayer half as much as I listen to Metallica. Never have.
xxxMidgexxx

Postby version sound » Wed Jan 27, 2021 7:02 pm

gregpolard wrote:
version sound wrote:

I'm gonna be real. As a "fugazi demo is their best stuff" guy, before I even clicked on this thread I knew what your vote was. :lol:

That’s logical in the sense that Slayer is definitely closer to hardcore than Metallica ever were, which is probably why I prefer them. I honestly thought that Slayer would be an easy win on a board full of hardcore fans. I guess I forgot that it’s also a board of melodic hardcore fans, so I guess the preference for Metallica makes sense. Other than KEA, I don’t think I’ve really listened to Metallica since the late ‘80s. Today I listened to RTL, MOP, and a bit of AJFA, and I did enjoy them all more than I thought I would. However, I listened Hell Awaits and Reign in Blood yesterday, and I fucking LOVE those records.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby gregpolard » Wed Jan 27, 2021 7:25 pm

version sound wrote:
gregpolard wrote:
version sound wrote:

That’s logical in the sense that Slayer is definitely closer to hardcore than Metallica ever were, which is probably why I prefer them. I honestly thought that Slayer would be an easy win on a board full of hardcore fans. I guess I forgot that it’s also a board of melodic hardcore fans, so I guess the preference for Metallica makes sense. Other than KEA, I don’t think I’ve really listened to Metallica since the late ‘80s. Today I listened to RTL, MOP, and a bit of AJFA, and I did enjoy them all more than I thought I would. However, I listened Hell Awaits and Reign in Blood yesterday, and I fucking LOVE those records.

Reign In Blood *is* perfect.
gregpolard

Postby drew » Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:17 pm

SLAYER!!

I know I am in the minority of humans but I can't stand Metallica. I wasn't a Thrash guy and I'm super-selective with my metal but they never did it for me. Slayer however, is awesome. Not every album is great but enough are and they were always great live. I saw Metallica once and they were meh.....
drew

Postby SamDBL » Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:38 pm

In the long run, Slayer. But I think I’d go with Metallica under these circumstances. I feel like Metallica peaked early. While slayer hit their stride a little later on. Although I do love their early albums, as well.
SamDBL

Postby scannest » Thu Jan 28, 2021 7:25 am

No one wants or needs my opinion on this, right?
"It's got some great chanting on it" - gregpolard.
scannest

Postby lewdd » Thu Jan 28, 2021 8:29 am

scannest wrote:No one wants or needs my opinion on this, right?

Probably similar to mine
lewdd

Postby scannest » Thu Jan 28, 2021 8:47 am

lewdd wrote:Probably similar to mine

Midge's, too. You know what they say about a stopped clock...
scannest

Postby version sound » Thu Jan 28, 2021 9:12 am

drew wrote:I saw Metallica once and they were meh.....

In the ‘80s, I was definitely more into Metallica. I bought RTL through AJFA when they were new. I even had a bootleg live LP from the Mustaine era. I saw them live on the AJFA tour and was completely underwhelmed. My friend and I spent a lot of the show outside the arena proper walking around shooting the shit.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby gregpolard » Thu Jan 28, 2021 9:15 am

Nah. I still want it. Dish.
gregpolard

Postby version sound » Thu Jan 28, 2021 9:46 am

gregpolard wrote:

Nah. I still want it. Dish.

I predict some form of “neither, but Metallica if forced to choose.”
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby version sound » Thu Jan 28, 2021 9:49 am

SamDBL wrote:...slayer hit their stride a little later on.

Whereabouts, discography wise? I haven’t really spent much time with anything past South of Heaven.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby scannest » Thu Jan 28, 2021 10:15 am

version sound wrote:I predict some form of “neither, but Metallica if forced to choose.”

WRONG.

I love Metallica. I think James is one of the great rhythm guitar players of all-time. They have more than their share of amazing riffs in that catalog. My faves are MoP, AJfA, and Death Magnetic, but there are things to love on every release.

Slayer I can take in small doses. "South of Heaven" is an amazing song. I admire their dedication to one sound (although connoisseurs can argue they mix things up more than I've ever noticed), but a lot of it is too generic for me in a literal sense. They adhere strictly to a genre that doesn't connect with me all that much.
scannest

Postby JGJR » Thu Jan 28, 2021 12:39 pm

SamDBL wrote:In the long run, Slayer. But I think I’d go with Metallica under these circumstances. I feel like Metallica peaked early. While slayer hit their stride a little later on. Although I do love their early albums, as well.

Mostly this (except that I definitely prefer Metallica overall and it's not close) precisely because I think Metallica peaked early (albums 2 to 4). I listened to them all the time as a kid and still love those records today. Like G Warrior, I've never liked Slayer half as much. Controversial Slayer opinion: Seasons in the Abyss is by far my favorite.
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby JGJR » Thu Jan 28, 2021 12:42 pm

version sound wrote:

Whereabouts, discography wise? I haven’t really spent much time with anything past South of Heaven.

I said this in my previous post in this thread, but you must check out Seasons in the Abyss. I listen to it way more than the earlier stuff tbh. I think you'd enjoy the hardcore covers Lp that G Warrior mentioned, too. It's called Undisputed Attitude.
JGJR

Postby version sound » Thu Jan 28, 2021 3:42 pm

JGJR wrote:
version sound wrote:I said this in my previous post in this thread, but you must check out Seasons in the Abyss. I listen to it way more than the earlier stuff tbh. I think you'd enjoy the hardcore covers Lp that G Warrior mentioned, too. It's called Undisputed Attitude.

I have listened to SITA a couple of times. Maybe I need to listen a couple more. I listened to the covers comp once and really didn’t enjoy it much.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby gregpolard » Thu Jan 28, 2021 3:45 pm

version sound wrote:

Where's that thread?
gregpolard

Postby version sound » Thu Jan 28, 2021 4:04 pm

gregpolard wrote:
version sound wrote:

Where's that thread?

That was a long time ago. Possibly two board iterations ago. In retrospect, it seems completely obvious that Dag would be preferred here, but I joined because Stabb and Smalley were posters, as was my old friend (VB) Dave Brown, not because I was such a huge Dag fan. I didn’t think that I was all that unique in that regard, but I was wrong.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby FormerLurker » Thu Jan 28, 2021 8:49 pm

Lars is one of the worst successful drummers ever.
FormerLurker

Postby SamDBL » Thu Jan 28, 2021 8:58 pm

version sound wrote:

I mean, I love all of their albums. But quite obvious to me that reign in blood is the game changer. There they (with the help of Rick Rubin, I guess) solidified the trademark Slayer sound. That and every album after that was varying degrees of greatness with a sound only they could deliver. Even the maligned god hates us all is brutal as fuck, imo. I liked the last couple as well. Christ illusion kicked ass.
SamDBL

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Thu Jan 28, 2021 11:10 pm

FormerLurker wrote:Lars is one of the worst successful drummers ever.

That is just sooo wrong.
xxxMidgexxx

Postby scannest » Fri Jan 29, 2021 7:52 am

He's a bit of a one trick pony.
I think we had a discussion once about great bands with crummy drummers. There aren't many. I volunteered U2 and Pink Floyd. Oh, and The Byrds.
scannest

Postby FormerLurker » Fri Jan 29, 2021 7:54 am

scannest wrote:

I think we had a discussion once about great bands with crummy drummers. There aren't many. I volunteered U2 and Pink Floyd. Oh, and The Byrds.

Nick got lazy over time, but he was really good in the early years. Have you seen the Pompeii video?
FormerLurker

Postby FormerLurker » Fri Jan 29, 2021 7:55 am

scannest wrote:

If he was good in the beginning, he definitely stopped practicing when they got rich.
FormerLurker

Postby patient_ot » Fri Jan 29, 2021 8:26 am

I like both, but Metallica is a bit overplayed for me over the years. So I'd go with Slayer if I had to choose.
patient_ot

Postby scannest » Fri Jan 29, 2021 8:34 am

FormerLurker wrote:Nick got lazy over time, but he was really good in the early years. Have you seen the Pompeii video?

I have (it's my favorite era for them - post Syd up to DSotM). He's not terrible, but there's never a moment where I think he brings anything all that special.
scannest

Postby drew » Fri Jan 29, 2021 9:30 am

scannest wrote:

I never listen to U2 but one thing I used to like about them was the Gtr. & drums were a little unique. They had a different sound from their peers. But they have sucked for 30 years so who cares? Lol
drew

Postby version sound » Fri Jan 29, 2021 10:25 am

drew wrote:
scannest wrote:

I never listen to U2 but one thing I used to like about them was the Gtr. & drums were a little unique. They had a different sound from their peers. But they have sucked for 30 years so who cares? Lol

Yeah, I always thought that Larry Mullen Sr’s son was good at what he did. He was a good post-punk drummer. Then again, as we all know, I don’t pay that much attention to standard rock drumming. Unless a drummer is outside of the norm in some way, for good or ill, I just don’t notice. John Bonham is always held up as a great rock drummer (which no doubt he is), but players like Mitch Mitchell are more likely to get my attention.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby scannest » Fri Jan 29, 2021 11:22 am

None of the guys I mentioned are terrible, they just don't bring anything special to what are otherwise pretty special groups (in one way or another). Imagine the Beatles without Ringo, or the Who without Keith, the Stones without Charlie. These guys are essential to the band's sound. Tommy on those first Ramones records, Topper with the Clash, Bill Stevenson with Descendents. Take the drummer out of the equation and I can't imagine what these bands would have sounded like.

So...do we need to talk about Peter Criss?
scannest

Postby Gary » Fri Jan 29, 2021 11:25 am

I used to think Peter Criss was terrible,but I really came round to him. I love him now.
Gary

Postby JGJR » Fri Jan 29, 2021 11:27 am

FormerLurker wrote:
scannest wrote:

Nick got lazy over time, but he was really good in the early years. Have you seen the Pompeii video?

Even during the 2005 reunion, I thought that Nick sounded fantastic, just like mid '70s era; such a unique sound.
JGJR

Postby WrEtcH » Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:49 pm

I’m biased being from the Bay Area

Metallica, Exodus, Megadeth then Slayer.

I saw Slayer in the clubs during Show No Mercy, they didn’t get heavy until they opened up and ripped off Exodus (case, Haunting The Chapel was taken from Impaler) heck even Metallica took things from Exodus ( not just Kirk :lol: )

If ask me, Mustaine is the better composer of the four and right after that Hetfield
^v^
WrEtcH

Postby JGJR » Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:51 pm

100% this.
JGJR

Postby Neal » Thu Mar 04, 2021 4:03 pm

i would go with slayer. kill 'em all vs. reign in blood would be tougher, but seasons is my fave. i never really loved metallica besides kill 'em all. the stuff after doesn't seem thrashy to me. and the songs are too long and (gulp) complicated sounding (except for the drums of course). i can see laying on your bed with big old headphones taking them all in, but live and recorded, they never did much for me.

i went to a school of rock - thrash metal performance one time about 15 years ago and they mostly did the big 3, but some other stuff. they totally nailed everything, and the drumming between metallica and slayer was such a stark difference.
Neal

Postby neutral knieval » Thu Mar 04, 2021 4:22 pm

kill em all: ive listened to it so much back in the day my default opinion has to be 'excellent'
ride the lightning: i like 'trapped under ice' and 'escape', the song everyone seems to universally despise. meh, i could live without hearing any of it again
master of puppets: same as kill em all. i still dont remember the last time i listened to either of them
and justice for all: i like, i will still listen to it sometimes. im a fan of the drum sound that people also seem to despise

show no mercy: not outstanding but ill play it every so often
hell awaits: not my favorite but listened to that the other day, so theres that
reign in blood: spotless
south of heaven: almost spotless
neutral knieval

Postby drew » Thu Mar 04, 2021 4:30 pm

version sound wrote:
drew wrote:I saw Metallica once and they were meh.....

I saw them live on the AJFA tour and was completely underwhelmed. My friend and I spent a lot of the show outside the arena proper walking around shooting the shit.

That's how most Arena concerts are for me now. An hour in I usually start walking around, getting a beer and doing laps around the venue.
I still love club shows more than anything and need to see some freakin live music real soon.......
drew

Postby version sound » Thu Mar 04, 2021 5:30 pm

WrEtcH wrote:I’m biased being from the Bay Area

Metallica, Exodus, Megadeth then Slayer.

I saw Slayer in the clubs during Show No Mercy, they didn’t get heavy until they opened up and ripped off Exodus (case, Haunting The Chapel was taken from Impaler) heck even Metallica took things from Exodus ( not just Kirk :lol: )

If ask me, Mustaine is the better composer of the four and right after that Hetfield

I need to revisit Exodus. I remember hearing Bonded by Blood in the ‘80s and really liking it, but I don’t think I’ve heard it since.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby version sound » Thu Mar 04, 2021 5:39 pm

Neal wrote:i would go with slayer. kill 'em all vs. reign in blood would be tougher, but seasons is my fave. i never really loved metallica besides kill 'em all. the stuff after doesn't seem thrashy to me. and the songs are too long and (gulp) complicated sounding (except for the drums of course). i can see laying on your bed with big old headphones taking them all in, but live and recorded, they never did much for me.

neutral knieval wrote:kill em all: ive listened to it so much back in the day my default opinion has to be 'excellent'
ride the lightning: i like 'trapped under ice' and 'escape', the song everyone seems to universally despise. meh, i could live without hearing any of it again
master of puppets: same as kill em all. i still dont remember the last time i listened to either of them
and justice for all: i like, i will still listen to it sometimes. im a fan of the drum sound that people also seem to despise

show no mercy: not outstanding but ill play it every so often
hell awaits: not my favorite but listened to that the other day, so theres that
reign in blood: spotless
south of heaven: almost spotless

Generally agree with both of you. Kill Em All is the only Metallica record I’ve listened to with any regularity in the last 30 years, though I did enjoy all four when I recently revisited them. Seems like I dig early Slayer more than most people on the board. There is something about the residual NWOBHM vibes on Show No Mercy that I really like. I also love Hell Awaits, even though RIB might technically be a better record.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby patient_ot » Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:22 am

I'm surprised at all the love for KEA. I enjoy it for what it is, but the next two Metallica albums are much better IMHO. KEA is almost like a Motorhead tribute album in a way.
patient_ot

Postby JGJR » Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:41 am

patient_ot wrote:I'm surprised at all the love for KEA. I enjoy it for what it is, but the next two Metallica albums are much better IMHO. KEA is almost like a Motorhead tribute album in a way.

I've always liked it a lot, but I agree with this. I think it's by far the weakest of the 1st 4. My favorite is RTL.
JGJR

Postby version sound » Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:46 am

patient_ot wrote:I'm surprised at all the love for KEA. I enjoy it for what it is, but the next two Metallica albums are much better IMHO. KEA is almost like a Motorhead tribute album in a way.

That’s what I like about it. The rest of their records can veer a little too close to “regular” heavy metal for my taste. I do like trad metal, but that wasn’t really what I wanted from Metallica.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby WrEtcH » Fri Mar 05, 2021 10:09 am

version sound wrote:

That’s what I like about it. The rest of their records can veer a little too close to “regular” heavy metal for my taste. I do like trad metal, but that wasn’t really what I wanted from Metallica.

I think the appeal of KEA and the garage days ep was basically the band at its most simplest. Albums 2-4 are all great but it becomes a predictable pattern

Song 1 - fast tune
Song 2 - mid tempo title track
Song 3 - heavy slow tempo track
Song 4 - ballad
^v^
WrEtcH

Postby version sound » Fri Mar 05, 2021 7:11 pm

I listened to Bonded by Blood today, and it’s not hard to believe that Slayer borrowed from Exodus. I also listened to Darkness Descends by Dark Angel, and I would rate that above anything by Metallica and on par with most Slayer.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby lewdd » Fri Mar 05, 2021 7:26 pm

While I was waiting for my cheese steak to be served today, they pizza shop had a radio station playing on their speakers. The station had Lars from Metallica on for an interview about their second release backed by a full orchestra. I didn't eat for 17 hours before that meal so I got distracted eating and missed the meat of the interview. At least, I am semi on subject unlike JGJR ;)

Carry on! (sans Midge)
lewdd

Next

Return to daghouse