Down By Law-New Record

Re: Down By Law-New Record

Postby jaybird » Mon Mar 08, 2021 2:53 pm

scannest wrote:
jaybird wrote:My only beef is as usual with the last few records they've done with Kung-Fu/Cleopatra, no MP3 download card with vinyl releases. No idea how or why the label decided on that business plan, as vinyl + download card pretty much seems to be the industry standard these days, but they also seem to to continually be expanding their (already vast) artist repertoire and cranking out new releases and re-issues on a regular schedule, so it seems to be working for them.

If you actually use the download codes that come with your records, you are in the minority. Most folks who buy vinyl just use a streaming service if they want to listen digitally. I understand labels wanting to save the money - they're not cheap (can add 50-70 cents per piece).

Yeah, I guess that makes sense... but then I hear all the bitching and complaining and so forth about how streaming services are ripping off artists and paying embarrassing/laughable fractions-of-a-cent per song play, so I try to avoid those as much as possible... I guess no one has really figured out a solid business model yet, except for "let's just not pay the artists, lol" like Spotify, etc.
jaybird

Postby scannest » Mon Mar 08, 2021 3:09 pm

jaybird wrote:Yeah, I guess that makes sense... but then I hear all the bitching and complaining and so forth about how streaming services are ripping off artists and paying embarrassing/laughable fractions-of-a-cent per song play, so I try to avoid those as much as possible... I guess no one has really figured out a solid business model yet, except for "let's just not pay the artists, lol" like Spotify, etc.

Streaming is terrible for musicians (every one else involved is making a small fortune), but I don't think any musician would begrudge someone who bought their music on some physical format also streaming it.
"It's got some great chanting on it" - gregpolard.
scannest

Postby SamDBL » Mon Mar 08, 2021 4:15 pm

I have gotten complaint emails from a few fans disappointed by the lack of dl codes. I agree that if someone is doing us a solid by actually buying our product instead of heading straight to the streaming services that they ought to get the royal treatment and not be punished by not getting a digital copy to listen to. I brought the complaint to the label. Their response was ‘nah. Nobody does that anymore’. Seems short sighted to me. But unfortunately I have no control over how the label distributes their stuff and it’s ultimately their call.
SamDBL

Postby version sound » Mon Mar 08, 2021 5:07 pm

This isn’t really in my wheelhouse, but I gave it a listen today and really liked most of it. Probably the best DBL record I’ve heard.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Mon Mar 08, 2021 5:58 pm

After much consideration, I am re-titling this album..

"Grace Under Lonely Street".
xxxMidgexxx

Postby SamDBL » Tue Mar 09, 2021 11:47 am

version sound wrote:This isn’t really in my wheelhouse, but I gave it a listen today and really liked most of it. Probably the best DBL record I’ve heard.

Thank you, version.
SamDBL

Postby Hal » Tue Mar 09, 2021 11:49 am

xxxMidgexxx wrote:After much consideration, I am re-titling this album..

LOL, yes!
Hal

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Tue Mar 09, 2021 11:57 am

Hal wrote:

LOL, yes!

The guitar effect (to me) sticks out, and it works in the mix. For years I thought that the effect was done with the tremolo bar alone.
xxxMidgexxx

Postby Hal » Tue Mar 09, 2021 12:21 pm

xxxMidgexxx wrote:
Hal wrote:

LOL, yes!

The guitar effect (to me) sticks out, and it works in the mix. For years I thought that the effect was done with the tremolo bar alone.

Yup, had a good convo with Sam about it on another board. Sounds more like Power Windows to me though.
Hal

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Tue Mar 09, 2021 2:22 pm

Hal wrote:Sounds more like Power Windows to me though.

Fair enough since both PW and GUP were from the same time period. There was a time in punk rock when guitar FX were (almost) taboo. Then bands wanted bigger production values and the rest is....
xxxMidgexxx

Postby version sound » Tue Mar 09, 2021 3:26 pm

There are parts of “Gleam” that remind me of the most recent Hum record. Very cool and unexpected. Also loving the almost surf rock guitar accents in “This Heart Remains.”
Last edited by version sound on Tue Mar 09, 2021 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby gregpolard » Tue Mar 09, 2021 4:23 pm

scannest wrote:
jaybird wrote:My only beef is as usual with the last few records they've done with Kung-Fu/Cleopatra, no MP3 download card with vinyl releases. No idea how or why the label decided on that business plan, as vinyl + download card pretty much seems to be the industry standard these days, but they also seem to to continually be expanding their (already vast) artist repertoire and cranking out new releases and re-issues on a regular schedule, so it seems to be working for them.

If you actually use the download codes that come with your records, you are in the minority. Most folks who buy vinyl just use a streaming service if they want to listen digitally. I understand labels wanting to save the money - they're not cheap (can add 50-70 cents per piece).

Gotta go with Scannest on this one. I buy lots of vinyl and almost never use the download cards if it's on streaming services. The only time I use is when they're not on any service. Case in point, Just yesterday I just gave my co host a download code for the Into Another s/t (he has it on tape) that I bought in 2015.
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby scannest » Tue Mar 16, 2021 8:25 am

scannest wrote:
jaybird wrote:Yeah, I guess that makes sense... but then I hear all the bitching and complaining and so forth about how streaming services are ripping off artists and paying embarrassing/laughable fractions-of-a-cent per song play, so I try to avoid those as much as possible... I guess no one has really figured out a solid business model yet, except for "let's just not pay the artists, lol" like Spotify, etc.

Streaming is terrible for musicians (every one else involved is making a small fortune), but I don't think any musician would begrudge someone who bought their music on some physical format also streaming it.

Here's a seemingly clever way to deal with the digital download issue. I bought a copy of the NEW RISING SONS record on Arctic Rodeo and in the sleeve was a slip of paper, just like a download card. But instead it just said "IF YOU'D LIKE A DIGITAL DOWNLOAD, please email us at..." Much easier to just email the files to the handful of people who respond than supply a distinct code that has to be hosted somewhere.
"It's got some great chanting on it" - gregpolard.
scannest

Postby JGJR » Tue Mar 16, 2021 8:28 am

scannest wrote:
scannest wrote:

Here's a seemingly clever way to deal with the digital download issue. I bought a copy of the NEW RISING SONS record on Arctic Rodeo and in the sleeve was a slip of paper, just like a download card. But instead it just said "IF YOU'D LIKE A DIGITAL DOWNLOAD, please email us at..." Much easier to just email the files to the handful of people who respond than supply a distinct code that has to be hosted somewhere.

Even as of 4 years ago or so, I know only about 10% of those who purchased a record with a code actually used it and it's likely less now as streaming becomes more and more popular, so that way makes a lot of sense to me as well.
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Previous

Return to daghouse