Favorite official LPs/12"s that never got (re)released on CD

Favorite official LPs/12"s that never got (re)released on CD

Postby soulforce » Sat Jan 16, 2021 1:33 am

Question is pretty much clear, I believe. If an album was released on CD as part of a compilation (Anthology, Best of, etc.) do not include it here. Also, let's keep it punk-related. Official releases only, no bootlegs! Here's my list:

Funeral Oration - S/T LP (1987)
Funeral Oration - "Say No To Life" LP (1989) -- released in '93 in less than 500 copies
7Seconds - "Praise" 12"EP (1987) -- rumour has it the mastertapes were stolen
Braille Party - "Welcome To Maryland" LP (1984) -- overlooked masterpiece, their only release
Scream - "Live! at Van Hall, Amsterdam" LP (1988) -- great live with Dave Grohl on drums
Bad Religion - "Into The Unknown" LP (1983) -- ummm... this was rereleased on bootlegs though

Also, how do you prefer to listen to the albums in your list? Do you only play them on the turntable at home? Or do you have them digitized -- by yourself or downloaded -- to play on your DAP/phone?
soulforce

Re: Favorite official LPs/12"s that never got (re)released o

Postby version sound » Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:22 am

AFAIK, none of these have been (officially) released on CD. The ones I owned in the ‘80s, I usually taped, then listened on my Walkman. More recently, if I have the vinyl, I’ll listen to that, or sometimes stream them on YouTube. I don’t remember the last time I ripped a CD, and I’ve never owned a turntable with a USB out.

SS Decontrol - The Kids Will Have Their Say
SSD - How We Rock
Necros - Conquest for Death
GISM - M.A.N.
Sleepers - Painless Nights (original mix)
Crime + The City Solution - all the early EPs with Rowland S. Howard
Reptile House - Listen to the Powersoul
Crow - The Door of the End
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby captain2man » Sat Jan 16, 2021 11:01 am

Lots of SST stuff falls into this category:

Saccharine Trust - Surviving You, Always (this did appear on The Sacramental Element compilation - but that itself was a cassette-only release)
The Stains LP
Angst - Lite Life, Mending Wall & Mystery Spot
The Subhumans (CAN) - No Wishes, No Prayers

(there's plenty of SST stuff never released on CD that borders on unlistenable....but I dig all of these albums quite a lot).
captain2man

Postby lewdd » Sat Jan 16, 2021 11:53 am

The Gas - Emotional Warfare
Shattered Faith - Volume II
Pork Dukes - Pink Pork
VA - They Only Come Out at Night
VA - The Big Apple Rotten to the Core
VA - Rodney on the ROQ Vol 1-3
VA - Posh Hits Vol 1
VA - Let Them Eat Jellybeans
Channel 3 - Last Time I Drank
Channel 3 - Airborne

VS, you can buy a device like this to be able to rip vinyl to your computer without having a USB output on your turntable.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07MJ ... UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002G ... UTF8&psc=1

I could give you a good deal on either of them as they are sitting in my storage room not being used.
lewdd

Postby version sound » Sat Jan 16, 2021 12:56 pm

I actually have one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/3826-RECORDER-PLAYER-DUPLICATOR-SYSTEM/dp/B00EOASFRW

I’ve just been too lazy to use it lately.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby lewdd » Sat Jan 16, 2021 1:36 pm

Gotcha, I have a Sony one of those. Haven't used it in at least 5+ years since I moved. I hooked it up last week to my second system in my office.
lewdd

Postby Neal » Sat Jan 16, 2021 2:18 pm

76% uncertain - hunka hunka burnin' log
couch flambeau - ghostride
corrupted morals - cheese-it
drunk injuns - frontside grind
sorry - imaginary friend
payola$ - in a place like this
the neighborhoods - the high hard one
identity - me to be
subhumans - no wishes, no prayers
doggy style - side by side (that terrible cleopatra reissue doesn't count!)
fingerprintz - distinguishing marks
hell's kitchen - if you can't take the heat...
state of confusion - a street

i don't currently have a record player, but want one just to digitize these. i tried to a long time ago and because of my receiver or something, everything came out with too much treble, not enough bass.
Neal

Postby version sound » Sat Jan 16, 2021 2:36 pm

Frontside Grind is on this, if anyone really wants it on CD:

https://www.discogs.com/Drunk-Injuns-Indigenous/release/12710295
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby Neal » Sat Jan 16, 2021 3:23 pm

version sound wrote:Frontside Grind is on this, if anyone really wants it on CD:

yeah, i just missed grabbing that from a skate website not knowing it was very limited. still not sure how official it is or what it's sourced from.
Neal

Postby drew » Sun Jan 17, 2021 7:22 am

captain2man wrote:Lots of SST stuff falls into this category:

Saccharine Trust - Surviving You, Always (this did appear on The Sacramental Element compilation - but that itself was a cassette-only release)
The Stains LP
Angst - Lite Life, Mending Wall & Mystery Spot
The Subhumans (CAN) - No Wishes, No Prayers

(there's plenty of SST stuff never released on CD that borders on unlistenable....but I dig all of these albums quite a lot).

Great call on all of these. THE STAINS reissue is supposedly happening. I had the Saccharine Trust cassette BITD but no more. I never had a vinyl copy of Surviving you, Always and it pisses me off.....
drew

Postby drew » Sun Jan 17, 2021 8:15 am

Did UNIFORM CHOICE "Screaming For Change" get an actual CD release or the "Straight and Alert" version? I never saw that on cd other than bootlegs......
drew

Postby patient_ot » Sun Jan 17, 2021 9:08 am

drew wrote:Did UNIFORM CHOICE "Screaming For Change" get an actual CD release or the "Straight and Alert" version? I never saw that on cd other than bootlegs......

There was an official CD in the 90s but it didn't have great distribution and was often hard to find. I've had 2 copies of it over the years. And yeah those shitty L&F boots were often more common at distros and record shops at various points.

Southern Lord remastered the album but I don't remember offhand if they made CDs or just vinyl. You can get a flac download of that version off Bandcamp.

I like the original CD.
patient_ot

Postby patient_ot » Sun Jan 17, 2021 9:11 am

Neal wrote:
version sound wrote:Frontside Grind is on this, if anyone really wants it on CD:

yeah, i just missed grabbing that from a skate website not knowing it was very limited. still not sure how official it is or what it's sourced from.

Did not know about this one. I'd be curious about the sound. Seems difficult to find.
patient_ot

Postby patient_ot » Sun Jan 17, 2021 9:13 am

Neal wrote:76% uncertain - hunka hunka burnin' log
couch flambeau - ghostride
corrupted morals - cheese-it
drunk injuns - frontside grind
sorry - imaginary friend
payola$ - in a place like this
the neighborhoods - the high hard one
identity - me to be
subhumans - no wishes, no prayers
doggy style - side by side (that terrible cleopatra reissue doesn't count!)
fingerprintz - distinguishing marks
hell's kitchen - if you can't take the heat...
state of confusion - a street

i don't currently have a record player, but want one just to digitize these. i tried to a long time ago and because of my receiver or something, everything came out with too much treble, not enough bass.

Rubellan Remasters, a legit label, did a Fingerprintz comp from actual master tapes last year. The label guy says if it sells he will consider doing the albums. I do have maybe 5 releases on the label but haven't bought the Fingerprintz one yet.
patient_ot

Postby Neal » Sun Jan 17, 2021 3:54 pm

patient_ot wrote:Rubellan Remasters, a legit label, did a Fingerprintz comp from actual master tapes last year. The label guy says if it sells he will consider doing the albums. I do have maybe 5 releases on the label but haven't bought the Fingerprintz one yet.

yeah, i actually have that and a vinyl rip of the album (the reissue versions sound a lot better). incomplete retrospective cds are so annoying. there's also one for the payola$, couch flambeau and a couple bands i forgot to add, the fred banana combo (fbc lp) and perfect daze (bubblegum 12").
Neal

Postby patient_ot » Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:31 am

Neal wrote:
patient_ot wrote:Rubellan Remasters, a legit label, did a Fingerprintz comp from actual master tapes last year. The label guy says if it sells he will consider doing the albums. I do have maybe 5 releases on the label but haven't bought the Fingerprintz one yet.

yeah, i actually have that and a vinyl rip of the album (the reissue versions sound a lot better). incomplete retrospective cds are so annoying. there's also one for the payola$, couch flambeau and a couple bands i forgot to add, the fred banana combo (fbc lp) and perfect daze (bubblegum 12").

I hear you. It's annoying for the fan that wants everything in one place for convenience. However, after peering into the inner workings of a label a bit I understand why it doesn't always happen. Money, licensing agreements, ownership of masters, lost masters, etc. It's all much more of a PITA than people know.

Scott is one of the good guys because he is reissuing these CDs on his own dime with superb sound quality and taking a big financial risk. Plenty of labels go for the quick cash-in, master stuff from shit sources and put out stuff with half-assed packaging but he doesn't do that. So he will always have my support even if not every release he does is to my taste.

My guess is he wanted to test the waters on the Fingerprintz stuff. They are somewhat obscure and aren't going to sell in the same quantity as say Visage, Ric Ocasek, or Missing Persons. Just the reality of the situation.

I have an early UK copy on vinyl of the Passions album he did and I daresay his CD version sounds better. It's too bad he couldn't reissue their first two albums, but those were already done by another label, so not possible for licensing/business reasons. The "other" label that did the first album could have done a way better job, but they tend to take half-assed shortcuts with a lot of things.
patient_ot

Postby lewdd » Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:46 am

I just sold those two Fingerprintz albums to a local record store about 6 months ago. I would like a FLAC version of that reissue, but I don't like enough of the bands songs for me to want to buy the CD. I have SS FLAC rips of those albums and I did rip the Dancing with Myself EP to wav, but have not edited into individual files yet.
lewdd

Postby patient_ot » Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:57 am

Not strictly punk but more like post-punk. Here are two favorites that were never done on CD properly

Modern Eon - Fiction Tales LP

-There is a shitty needledrop on streaming/digital platforms that sounds awful.

The Wildflowers - The Joy of It All LP

-Same deal, another shitty needledrop. Loads of IGD on it too, probably done on a crap rig with a crap cartridge.

Modern Eon might be reissued from master tapes eventually but there's some things going on that might throw a wrench into that.

A big one for me, actually metal, not punk

Sodom - Obssessed By Cruelty LP (Steamhammer version)

There are two completely different recordings sessions of this album. The first one isn't that great and the label originally rejected it. So the band went to re-record it a little afterwards and it sounded much better. That is the version on the original Steamhammer LP.

When the album was licensed to Metal Blade and other labels, Steamhammer fucked up and sent the wrong session tape to those labels. The "wrong" version is the one most people have heard, hence all the whining you hear about the sound quality and production of the album.

Then later Steamhammer reissued the album on CD. They fucked up again and used the wrong session tape. To date, the "good" version has never been officially re-issued properly on any format.

There is a shitty label that tried to do an LP reissue of OBC, as a double LP, containing both versions of the album. What they don't tell you is that they used a needledrop for the good version of the album.

No idea on the status of the master tapes, whether the "good" ones even exist anymore. Luckily I do have the Steamhammer LP, but would love a good CD/digital version.
patient_ot

Postby FormerLurker » Mon Jan 18, 2021 11:35 am

jaybird is gonna write about some Nils shit you've never heard of.
FormerLurker

Postby SamDBL » Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:15 pm

FormerLurker wrote:jaybird is gonna write about some Nils shit you've never heard of.

:lol: :lol:
SamDBL

Postby Markonomicon » Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:27 pm

I'll second the 2 Funeral Oration LPs and add:

Young Wasteners 'We Got Ways'
Vogue 'Pompshit'
Pig Children 'Blood For The State' (a 12", but an EP...listing anyway. Haha.)
The Guns - Discography
Chaos Horde 'Demo 86'
Criminal Damage 'S/T'
76% Uncertain 'Estimated Monkey Time' & 'Nothing But Love Songs' - That German comp. from the 90s is long OOP and the layout sucks, so I'm listing this. :lol:
Dave Burns 'Warming Up!'
Enemy You 'Fade Away'
Mind Spiders 'Prosthesis'
Sickoids 'S/T'
The Keys 'The Keys Album'
Normals 'So Bad, So Sad' comp.
Sadhugold 'The Gold Room'
So Much Hate 'How We Feel' & 'Blind Alley'
Tales Of Terror 'S/T'
Sonny Criss 'I'll Catch The Sun'
Tenement 'S/T' & both Bruised Music collections
Straw Man Army 'Age Of Exile'
Talk Is Poison - Discography
Subculture 'I Heard A Scream'
Oblivionation 'Language Of Violence'
Badbadnotgood 'I' & 'II'
Markonomicon

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Thu Mar 18, 2021 11:04 pm

soulforce wrote:Funeral Oration - S/T LP (1987)
Funeral Oration - "Say No To Life" LP (1989) -- released in '93 in less than 500 copies

I have a few Funeral Oration songs on my Spotify hXc playlist from their discography. Tracks 'Overland' and 'Killing You'. 1987. I had some of their records ages ago. What strange song structures backed up by even more bizarre mixing choices. I mean that in a good way. You could tell that this band was not affected nor influenced by the whole ultra-compressed Epitaph "make everything in your face" sound. Maybe I should go back and explore again.
xxxMidgexxx

Postby soulforce » Fri Mar 19, 2021 7:10 am

xxxMidgexxx wrote:

I have a few Funeral Oration songs on my Spotify hXc playlist from their discography. Tracks 'Overland' and 'Killing You'. 1987. I had some of their records ages ago. What strange song structures backed up by even more bizarre mixing choices. I mean that in a good way. You could tell that this band was not affected nor influenced by the whole ultra-compressed Epitaph "make everything in your face" sound. Maybe I should go back and explore again.

You definitely should go back and revise their older records. "Communion", their debut LP from 1985, is the album that every serious fan of the early 80's US/European hardcore must hear at least once in their lifetime. You do it - you know what I mean.

You can't just pass by a debut LP that starts like this...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7bHq05YBHs
soulforce

Postby lewdd » Fri Mar 19, 2021 7:20 am

xxxMidgexxx wrote:

Start another thread and post your hXc spotify playlist. I would like to check it out.
lewdd

Return to daghouse