Reunited and it Feels So Good...

Reunited and it Feels So Good...

Postby scannest » Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:55 am

Bands that got back together after a lengthy hiatus (let's say at least 10 years between releases) with records on par with their heyday:

DESCENDENTS (2x!. Well, I guess there was only 9 years between ALL and SUCKS, but there was 12 between COOL and HYPERCAFFIUM)
NY DOLLS
DINOSAUR JR.
SUPERCHUNK

Give me some more! Other than SWERVEDRIVER and HUM, but sure - SWERVEDRIVER and HUM, too.
"It's got some great chanting on it" - gregpolard.
scannest

Re: Reunited and it Feels So Good...

Postby version sound » Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:19 am

Swervedriver
My Bloody Valentine
Slowdive

Not sure if they qualify: Hum. They have been playing live intermittently over the years, but just released their first record since 1997.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby version sound » Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:35 am

Bands that made reunion records that were good, but not as good as their initial run:

Ride - Weather Diaries is not as good as their first two albums (or many EPs), but is as good or better than their later releases.
Crime - Exalted Masters is enjoyable but not half as good as their ‘70s recordings.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby scannest » Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:41 am

How did I forget about MISSION OF BURMA? Their records on Matador in the early aughts were pretty great.
scannest

Postby gregpolard » Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:46 am

Lifetime : Jersey's Best Dancers was released in 1997 and the self titled came out in 2007.

Shades Apart : Sonic Boom came out in 2001 and Eternal Echo in 2020.

Dag Nasty did it at least twice (I'm speaking of Minority of One and the newest 7")

Trying to think of more as they come
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby scannest » Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:48 am

gregpolard wrote:Dag Nasty did it at least twice (I'm speaking of Minority of One and the newest 7")

Only a crazy person would argue that those records hold a candle to the first three.
scannest

Postby gregpolard » Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:58 am

scannest wrote:
gregpolard wrote:Dag Nasty did it at least twice (I'm speaking of Minority of One and the newest 7")

Only a crazy person would argue that those records hold a candle to the first three.

OK, I re-read the OP :lol:

While I think both of these are solid, I retract my statement. I am keeping Lifetime and Shades Apart though, dammit!
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby version sound » Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:58 am

scannest wrote:

I like the Cold Heart single a lot, but strangely enough, it sounds more like Red Hare than Dag Nasty, and I’m talking about the music, not just the vocals. I probably like it better than anything Dag did after Wig Out, but it just doesn’t really feel like a DN record to me. I thought there was talk of them doing an LP at some point...
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby scannest » Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:15 am

I like it too, but it sounds like something they banged out in an afternoon. Its' unpolished and raw in a way that nothing else they've ever done comes close.
scannest

Postby captain2man » Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:50 pm

Deep Purple's Perfect Strangers album is a classic. It came out in '84, so technically not 10 years since the last DP album before that (which would have been Come Taste the Band in '75) - but it was 11 years since that specific line-up had released an album (Who Do We Think We Are - '73).

But - the new X album that came out last year - Alphabetland - is also soooo good. First X album since '93 (Hey Zeus)....but the first X album with the original four since Ain't Love Grand ('85) - and I'd take Alphabetland over Ain't Love Grand.
captain2man

Postby scannest » Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:55 pm

Can't speak to DEEP PURPLE, but X is a good call. New record is terrific.
scannest

Postby Dinko » Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:25 pm

The Last. 17 years.
The law of average says you will survive.
Dinko

Postby FormerLurker » Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:42 pm

I'm convinced Dino Jr is the best reunion of all time.
FormerLurker

Postby version sound » Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:55 pm

FormerLurker wrote:I'm convinced Dino Jr is the best reunion of all time.

I saw them play on their first reunion tour but haven’t really listened to the new records. Which one is the best?
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby FormerLurker » Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:04 pm

version sound wrote:

I saw them play on their first reunion tour but haven’t really listened to the new records. Which one is the best?

Man, hard to choose. I really like "I Bet on Sky."
FormerLurker

Postby JGJR » Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:47 pm

version sound wrote:

Beyond but I haven't listened to any of them in a while; best tour was 2005 when they just played stuff from the 1st 3 records including a lot of stuff from the debut and Lou sang lots; incredible.
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby JGJR » Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:50 pm

captain2man wrote:Deep Purple's Perfect Strangers album is a classic. It came out in '84, so technically not 10 years since the last DP album before that (which would have been Come Taste the Band in '75) - but it was 11 years since that specific line-up had released an album (Who Do We Think We Are - '73).

But - the new X album that came out last year - Alphabetland - is also soooo good. First X album since '93 (Hey Zeus)....but the first X album with the original four since Ain't Love Grand ('85) - and I'd take Alphabetland over Ain't Love Grand.

Both good choices (much more familiar with X, but a good friend played Deep Purple's "Knocking on Your Back Door" (I think that's what it's called; I know, heh heh) from that initial reunion album and I thought it was terrific.

I can't agree that I'd take Alphabetland over Ain't Love Grand only because the latter just means too much to me personally. I know that album is derided a lot because of its production and whatnot and it has its faults, but it has some AMAZING tunes. "My Goodness" and "Around My Heart" are 2 of their very best IMO. Otherwise, I really dug Alphabetland.
JGJR

Postby Fillavoid » Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:04 pm

version sound wrote:

I like Farm and Beyond the best. I think there’s great stuff on all of them, though.
Fillavoid

Postby SamDBL » Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:10 pm

I have to agree. They took whatever I liked best about their older albums and distilled it to its purest form on the newer records.
Also, good call on perfect strangers.
SamDBL

Postby version sound » Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:15 pm

FormerLurker wrote:
version sound wrote:

Man, hard to choose. I really like "I Bet on Sky."

Listened to I Bet On Sky and Beyond. Currently listening to Farm. All three are pret-ty damn good.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby lewdd » Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:17 pm

Not a band, but Buddy Guy's come back from 1991 on has been better than his early recordings IMO.

Other than that, I would have to go with the Descendents. I will say the next ALL album will be that way too.
lewdd

Postby drew » Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:51 pm

Moving Targets- Both “wires” & “humbucker” are really good

Saint Vitus- s/t from 2019 was my fave with the OG singer since 1985!
drew

Postby version sound » Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:02 am

Saccharine Trust - The Great One Is Dead is an excellent record. I probably like it better than a couple from their original run.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby scannest » Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:17 am

version sound wrote:Listened to I Bet On Sky and Beyond. Currently listening to Farm. All three are pret-ty damn good.

I've probably listened to the most recent one ("Give a Glimpse of What Yer Not") more than any of their other reunion records. I love it. J seemed to be stretching out a little with his guitar sound. I mean, it's not like he started sound liked Johnny Marr or anything, but he plays a lot of Tele on that album (and the subsequent tour) and it seemed to lighten his sound a bit.
scannest

Postby jaybird » Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:30 am

The Nils*

*Asterisked because no Alex, but the 2015 Shadows and Ghosts record does consist of about 75% of Alex's songs. So maybe this band resides somewhere between a tribute and a true re-union, kinda like Thin Lizzy/Black Star Riders. Carlos Soria has been posting pics of the Nils in studio during quarantine, so they are working on new material, but whether that's more full-band versions of old acoustic demos that Alex left behind or actually 100% new songs remains to be seen.

And yeah, last year's X record out of the blue just surpassed all expectations... how do a bunch of near 70-year olds drop one of their best records ever? imma have to listen to it again today.
jaybird

Postby Gary » Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:46 pm

I liked Radio Birdmans zeno beach record,but I thought it sounded more like a New Christs record than Birdman.
Gary

Postby version sound » Fri Jan 15, 2021 4:06 pm

Gary wrote:I liked Radio Birdmans zeno beach record,but I thought it sounded more like a New Christs record than Birdman.

Agreed.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby version sound » Thu Jun 24, 2021 3:43 pm

version sound wrote:Saccharine Trust - The Great One Is Dead is an excellent record. I probably like it better than a couple from their original run.

Such a good record. Tied with Paganicons as their second best.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby Knutsen » Sat Jul 03, 2021 6:53 am

version sound wrote:
Gary wrote:I liked Radio Birdmans zeno beach record,but I thought it sounded more like a New Christs record than Birdman.

Agreed.

They were so fucking good live 2-3 years ago. Incredible rocking band with great songs and fucking on fire in their late sixties /seventies. (I guess)
Listening to Punk today is like listening to Glenn Miller in 1982.
Knutsen

Postby JGJR » Sat Jul 03, 2021 8:29 am

Knutsen wrote:
version sound wrote:

Agreed.

They were so fucking good live 2-3 years ago. Incredible rocking band with great songs and fucking on fire in their late sixties /seventies. (I guess)

Was Pip with them? I was fortunate enough to see them twice in 2006 and then again in 2007 and I think those were the only times they ever came to the U.S. The first time was in Philly with Pip on keyboards and the second time was in Baltimore w/ no keyboards and both shows were fantastic. Great band.
JGJR

Postby Knutsen » Sat Jul 03, 2021 10:48 am

JGJR wrote:
Knutsen wrote:
version sound wrote:

Agreed.

Was Pip with them? I was fortunate enough to see them twice in 2006 and then again in 2007 and I think those were the only times they ever came to the U.S. The first time was in Philly with Pip on keyboards and the second time was in Baltimore w/ no keyboards and both shows were fantastic. Great band.

I would say yes. See for yourself. Same year, different show.
Listening to Punk today is like listening to Glenn Miller in 1982.
Knutsen

Return to daghouse