Embrace "Dance of Days" charity tee

Embrace "Dance of Days" charity tee

Postby gregpolard » Thu Jan 07, 2021 3:13 pm

Figured this would be of interest to some in here.

This week on "Where It Went" we talked about the final Youth of Today 7". In the layout there's a picture of Porcell with an Embrace tee on that was designed by the late Alex Brown of Gorilla Biscuits / Side By Side / Project X / Schism Fanzine. We decided that everyone should have a chance to own this cool shirt and that we would donate 100% of the proceeds to a charity in Alex's name (charity TBD by his family)

Check it out and spread the word if interested!

https://www.contrabandgoods.com/collect ... efit-shirt
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Re: Embrace "Dance of Days" charity tee

Postby earthdog70 » Fri Jan 15, 2021 6:39 pm

Well I was in the market for a "ChrisBald96" shirt but this will have to do :lol:

Thanks for posting Greg-grabbed one under the wire :!:
"And so it goes."-Kurt Vonnegut
earthdog70

Postby gregpolard » Fri Jan 22, 2021 1:47 pm

We were able to donate $2000 to the Alex Brown Foundation thanks to this run of shirts.
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby scannest » Tue Feb 09, 2021 1:56 pm

I regret not getting one of these. I like that Embrace record more every time I give it a spin.
"It's got some great chanting on it" - gregpolard.
scannest

Postby gregpolard » Tue Feb 09, 2021 6:15 pm

scannest wrote:I regret not getting one of these. I like that Embrace record more every time I give it a spin.

If somehow there are any extras I will let you know! I don't think there are, but you never know. (I don't handle the printing, that's all Javier)

I was stoked that we sold over 200 of them in a week!
gregpolard

Postby scannest » Wed Feb 10, 2021 7:28 am

Thanks, please keep me in mind.

When I listened a few days ago I thought this must have sounded positively Sgt. Pepper-esque to folks expecting some sort of Minor Threat/Faith hybrid.
scannest

Postby lewdd » Wed Feb 10, 2021 7:50 am

scannest wrote:Thanks, please keep me in mind.

When I listened a few days ago I thought this must have sounded positively Sgt. Pepper-esque to folks expecting some sort of Minor Threat/Faith hybrid.

There was a time I preferred to listen to that Embrace album over the MT discography.
lewdd

Postby JGJR » Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:43 am

lewdd wrote:
scannest wrote:Thanks, please keep me in mind.

There was a time I preferred to listen to that Embrace album over the MT discography.

This is basically me all the time. It's my favorite thing out of everything Ian's ever done.
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby scannest » Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:48 am

JGJR wrote: It's my favorite thing out of everything Ian's ever done.

You prefer EMBRACE to FUGAZI? That's crazy talk.

And there's still a little too much finger-wagging for my taste in Ian's EMBRACE lyrics.
scannest

Postby lewdd » Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:56 am

I prefer Embrace to Fugazi especially beyond the first two Fugazi CDs
lewdd

Postby JGJR » Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:58 am

scannest wrote:
JGJR wrote: It's my favorite thing out of everything Ian's ever done.

You prefer EMBRACE to FUGAZI? That's crazy talk.

And there's still a little too much finger-wagging for my taste in Ian's EMBRACE lyrics.

I knew that this would get a reaction, but I'm serious here. I LOVE Fugazi, particularly everything from 1988-1991 and The Argument (but I generally celebrate the whole catalog to one extent or another), but Ian's lyrics and vocals never got more personal, emotional, and moving IMO. I also really love Michael Hampton's guitar sound on that record; UK post-punk (not just the oft-cited Empire, but other stuff like Bob Andrews' previous band Generation X) filtered through the DC sound.

As for the finger-wagging, I'm a now essentially a middle-aged hardcore kid like most of the folks on this board and you're not, so I totally get your aversion to that. In his defense, he was in his early 20s when he wrote those lyrics, but I still think they come across as much more mature than his years there.
JGJR

Postby JGJR » Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:58 am

lewdd wrote:I prefer Embrace to Fugazi especially beyond the first two Fugazi CDs

You get me (though I love some of the later Fugazi stuff, too).
JGJR

Postby scannest » Thu Feb 11, 2021 1:19 pm

JGJR wrote:I LOVE Fugazi, particularly everything from 1988-1991 and The Argument (but I generally celebrate the whole catalog to one extent or another...)

I'd like to witness that celebration. I picture a garland of flowers, maybe a maypole.

And I don't think Ian's EMBRACE lyrics were more "personal" than anything he wrote for Fugazi. More direct, sure (a less polite description might be more obvious, less subtle, etc.), but I'm certain he feels them all just as deeply.
scannest

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Thu Feb 11, 2021 2:09 pm

Fugazi made 1 mediocre album. Red Medicine.
xxxMidgexxx

Postby scannest » Thu Feb 11, 2021 2:43 pm

xxxMidgexxx wrote:Fugazi made 1 mediocre album. Red Medicine.

It just took a little while to get acclimated to that one. I love it.

Fuckin' BIRTHDAY PONY, Midge!
scannest

Postby lewdd » Thu Feb 11, 2021 2:55 pm

Is today Midge's birthday? I forgot to send him BBQ again. Dammit.
lewdd

Postby JGJR » Thu Feb 11, 2021 5:09 pm

scannest wrote:
JGJR wrote:I LOVE Fugazi, particularly everything from 1988-1991 and The Argument (but I generally celebrate the whole catalog to one extent or another...)

I'd like to witness that celebration. I picture a garland of flowers, maybe a maypole.

And I don't think Ian's EMBRACE lyrics were more "personal" than anything he wrote for Fugazi. More direct, sure (a less polite description might be more obvious, less subtle, etc.), but I'm certain he feels them all just as deeply.

You're making it sound more like a scene out of Gilmore Girls than what it really would be, just me listening to the catalog either in the privacy of my living room or on headphones while walking or whatnot. :lol:

I didn't mean to imply that his Fugazi (or Evens or Coriky) lyrics are less "personal" to him. I was talking about how they feel to me and yeah direct, obvious, etc. are more what I really meant. They're not juvenile, though. They're just about trying to find your place in the adult/material world and dealing with grief, so I think anyone at any age can relate.

At least I don't have to figure out what he's talking about half the time tbh. My favorite lyricist is Elvis Costello, so I'm all about head-scratching, puns, lyrical allusions, allegories, et al. and so I appreciate Fugazi's lyrics quite a bit, too, but there's just something about that Embrace Lp that puts it over the top for me Sly Stallone style.
JGJR

Postby earthdog70 » Fri Feb 12, 2021 5:48 pm

I wonder when my shirt will get here? :lol:
"And so it goes."-Kurt Vonnegut
earthdog70

Postby Marc M » Sat Feb 13, 2021 8:27 pm

earthdog70 wrote:I wonder when my shirt will get here? :lol:

Got mine a few days ago.
Marc M

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Sun Feb 14, 2021 7:21 am

scannest wrote:
xxxMidgexxx wrote:Fugazi made 1 mediocre album. Red Medicine.

It just took a little while to get acclimated to that one. I love it.

Fuckin' BIRTHDAY PONY, Midge!

Birthday Pony is THE worst Fugazi song.
xxxMidgexxx

Postby JGJR » Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:12 am

scannest wrote:

I think I misspoke (miswrote?) here slightly. I was listening to Jim Spellman's interview on the End on End podcast episode for the Embrace Lp and he echoed a thought I had about it which is that Ian's lyrics (while perhaps not more "personal") are just much, much more vulnerable on that Lp than anything he's ever done before or since and that's why (besides Mike Hampton's insane guitar work) I like it the best. I think that his other bands, especially Minor Threat and Fugazi, especially projected confidence, conviction, etc. and there is always room for that, but the themes on the Embrace Lp are universal for anyone who struggles with well, life, and that's many of us if not all.
Last edited by JGJR on Mon Mar 22, 2021 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JGJR

Postby gregpolard » Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:26 am

JGJR wrote:
scannest wrote:

I think I misspoke (miswrote?) here slightly. I was listening to Jim Spellman's interview on the End on End podcast episode for the Embrace Lp and he echoed a thought I had about it which is that Ian's lyrics (while perhaps not more "personal") are just much, much more vulnerable on that Lp than anything he's ever done before or since and that's why (besides Mike Hampton's insane guitar work) I like it the best, I think that his other bands, especially Minor Threat and Fugazi, especially projected confidence, conviction, etc. and there is always room for that, but the themes on the Embrace Lp are universal for anyone who struggles with well, life, and that's many of us if not all.

That was such a great interview.
gregpolard

Postby BAIN » Mon Mar 22, 2021 12:27 pm

side story

one of my first purchases on discogs

I bought what I thought was the red vinyl 2009 remaster from a seller

when it showed up in the mail it was the first pressing

was a pretty awesome day
BAIN

Return to daghouse