Foxhall Stacks

Foxhall Stacks

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Sun Dec 27, 2020 9:45 pm

Got played on Little Stevie's Underground Garage tonight. All band members got a shout out from Little Stevie van Zandt.

Supersuckers also got played. But I think I heard them before on his show.

Nice.
xxxMidgexxx

Re: Foxhall Stacks

Postby scannest » Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:18 am

They got a "Coolest Song in the World This Week" run earlier in the year which means they are in the hunt for "The Coolest Song in the World 2020". I voted for them.
"It's got some great chanting on it" - gregpolard.
scannest

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Mon Dec 28, 2020 12:12 pm

I've said it countless times and I'll say it again.

Little Stevie's show is a rare instance of where I find myself liking or loving around 90 - 95% of his setlist. Dude has an amazing ear for a catchy tune.
xxxMidgexxx

Postby scannest » Mon Dec 28, 2020 1:36 pm

It's the first station we turn to whenever we're in the car. He once described their m.o. as "playing all the songs the Ramones loved and all the bands that love(d) the Ramones." I thought that summed up about 95% of what I like.
My only complaint is that when it comes to new stuff he tends to favor shitty songs by his old buddies (Ringo, Joe Walsh, Michael DeBarres, etc.) and/or bands signed to his record label.
scannest

Postby Marc M » Tue Dec 29, 2020 12:17 pm

Fun fact, there's a Foxhall Stacks song that "steals" (Brian's words when I asked him about it) the music from the old Careless song "Hanging on the Chandelier".
Marc M

Postby jaybird » Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:02 am

Marc M wrote:Fun fact, there's a Foxhall Stacks song that "steals" (Brian's words when I asked him about it) the music from the old Careless song "Hanging on the Chandelier".

I think the Careless version is a little more hair-metallish, but yeah, "The Old Me" is my favorite song on this record and is maybe the most classically "Dag" sounding song he's recorded in nearly 30 years. Easily could have been on Wig Out.

This record is still in near-weekly rotation for me. Flawless gem of an album.
jaybird

Postby scannest » Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:45 pm

I listened to the full-length and the EP on my lunchtime walk and goddamn, they are both pretty excellent. Big, booming r'n'r with tons of hooks. I am a complete sucker for this sorta thing.
scannest

Postby gregpolard » Wed Dec 30, 2020 2:11 pm

Awesome band. This reminds me I need to snag a vinyl copy.
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Wed Dec 30, 2020 4:13 pm

gregpolard wrote:Awesome band. This reminds me I need to snag a vinyl copy.

Sold!
xxxMidgexxx

Postby gregpolard » Wed Dec 30, 2020 5:06 pm

xxxMidgexxx wrote:
gregpolard wrote:Awesome band. This reminds me I need to snag a vinyl copy.

Sold!

Oh?
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby kel » Sat Jan 09, 2021 2:28 pm

Marc M wrote:Fun fact, there's a Foxhall Stacks song that "steals" (Brian's words when I asked him about it) the music from the old Careless song "Hanging on the Chandelier".

Immediately heard it, as well as the Nirvana easter-egg callout. :)
"Before" exhibit, por ejemplo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ctmpvr4Z9-4&t=704s

Yeah, anyway, I couldn't sleep last night, so popped in headphones and just checked this album out for the first time last night, kinda fun! I liked "Worried", except -- while I'm in my twilght trying-to-drift-off mode, the dissonance of the last words just ENDING and NOT RHYMING kept making me awake and rewind to see if I just lost my wifi connection before the song had truly ended.

THIS IS POP! IT'S SUPPOSED TO HAVE CLOSURE! IT'S INCREDIBLY HOOKY AND THEN ENDS ABRUPTLY! WHO *DOES* THAT?

:lol:

Got me worried about the weather I'm worried about the government I'm worried about the pills I took.
I'm worried about the verse and I'm worried about the chorus, I'm worried about the bridge and the hook.
The start and the finish, the hours and the minutes, the echoes, the signals, the codes.
I’m worried about the warnings, I’m worried about the consequences.

"CODES" and "CONSEQUENCES" get introduced in the last four seconds of the song with no literary tieup!

I'm now searching for a "Director's Cut" of this. :D
kel

Postby jaybird » Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:32 am

I really love all the little "bells and whistles" on this record... the back-up harmony vocals, the little percussive accents like handclaps, tambourine and sleigh bells, even little sound samples, like the 2" tape noise after "...the tapes are rewinding..." on "Turntable Exiles".... the sort of things you don't immediately hear right away but become more apparent the more you listen. You can tell they really took their time with the whole recording and put a lot of thought and care into the arrangements and production. Even the physical design, photography and packaging of the vinyl is top notch. I usually kinda roll my eyes when people say an album is a "work of art" but this is a a case where that phrase is definitely earned, IMO.
jaybird

Postby kel » Sun Jan 10, 2021 4:26 pm

jaybird wrote:I really love all the little "bells and whistles" on this record... the back-up harmony vocals, the little percussive accents like handclaps, tambourine and sleigh bells, even little sound samples, like the 2" tape noise after "...the tapes are rewinding..." on "Turntable Exiles".... the sort of things you don't immediately hear right away but become more apparent the more you listen. You can tell they really took their time with the whole recording and put a lot of thought and care into the arrangements and production. Even the physical design, photography and packaging of the vinyl is top notch. I usually kinda roll my eyes when people say an album is a "work of art" but this is a a case where that phrase is definitely earned, IMO.

Or, as I refer to them as "headphone albums". :)

I can appreciate all the production experiements to outright-gimmicks that bands/producers do... the left-right pans and fore-aft fades, the musically-timed echoes, the backwards-Mould-esque playing, tape tricks, massive harmony experiments, etc. where the gimmicks become part of the art.

From the Beatles overdriving the console to get that "Revolution" guitar sound to Bob's backwards tape guitar all over "Warehouse" by Husker Du... fun stuff that really only comes out when you're listening isolated left-right headphones.

The Foxhall album, yeah, the 60's-era rubber-glove-claps, the nice mixes of guitar tones, etc. sort of disappeared in the mix when I played it a day later in the car. That's definitely a headphone album for me to get the full appreciation.
kel

Postby scannest » Sun Jan 10, 2021 5:10 pm

I love the record, but we're not talking about Dark Side of the Moon or anything. It's a big, well produced rock record. Y'all listen to too much punk rock.
scannest

Postby gregpolard » Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:48 am

Finally got a vinyl copy a couple weeks back. What a great record!

Am I missing something or is the 4 song EP digital only?
gregpolard

Postby scannest » Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:57 am

gregpolard wrote:Am I missing something or is the 4 song EP digital only?

Yer not missing anything. Digital only. I think it was a Bandcamp Friday, proceeds go to charity sort of thing.
scannest

Postby gregpolard » Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:08 am

scannest wrote:
gregpolard wrote:Am I missing something or is the 4 song EP digital only?

Yer not missing anything. Digital only. I think it was a Bandcamp Friday, proceeds go to charity sort of thing.

Thanks! I wish this would be pressed to vinyl - love the EP too
gregpolard

Return to daghouse