Bad Brains Reissues 2021

Bad Brains Reissues 2021

Postby earthdog70 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:09 pm

So there is an ad in the latest Razorcake that is talking about new remasters coming. Org Music is supposed to be putting it out. You can sign up to be notified at badbrainsrecords.com. Apparently it will be:

Pay To Cum
Bad Brains
I&I Survive
Rock For Light (Original Mix)
Quickness
The Youth are Getting Restless
Omega Sessions
Live at the Fillmore

:arrow:
"And so it goes."-Kurt Vonnegut
earthdog70

Re: Bad Brains Reissues 2021

Postby lewdd » Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:38 pm

has this stuff been out of print?
lewdd

Postby drew » Tue Nov 24, 2020 6:43 am

lewdd wrote:has this stuff been out of print?

It probably is. But not that expensive and pretty available, except the OG RFL.
drew

Postby version sound » Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:06 am

Is “Bad Brains” the AT 12”?

The only thing I need/want is (maybe) Black Dots, which of course doesn’t seem to be forthcoming...
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby Nico » Tue Nov 24, 2020 12:46 pm

Black Dots was reissued last year I think.

Only thing I am after is the Rock For Light with the Caroline mix, but that one is hard to come by.
Nico

Postby version sound » Tue Nov 24, 2020 2:55 pm

Nico wrote:Black Dots was reissued last year I think.

Only thing I am after is the Rock For Light with the Caroline mix, but that one is hard to come by.

Yes, BD was reissued, but it was 1500 copies on white vinyl and is long gone and already going for $45 on Discogs.

I used to have 2 copies of RFL (bought one at a library store for 50 cents) but I sold the spare a few years ago.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby AssWreckersInc » Tue Nov 24, 2020 4:17 pm

They need to press the 1980 demo. 6 monstrous recordings that were never released
AssWreckersInc

Postby Nico » Wed Nov 25, 2020 2:49 am

version sound wrote:
Nico wrote:Black Dots was reissued last year I think.

Yes, BD was reissued, but it was 1500 copies on white vinyl and is long gone and already going for $45 on Discogs.

That is crazy.
Nico

Postby version sound » Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:43 am

Yup. I should probably just buy a used CD and be done with it.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby patient_ot » Wed Nov 25, 2020 1:14 pm

Nico wrote:Only thing I am after is the Rock For Light with the Caroline mix, but that one is hard to come by.

The Caroline 1991 mix is a remix and should not be too difficult to find. The original mix is a different story. That was only issued on pre-1991 pressings.
patient_ot

Postby patient_ot » Wed Nov 25, 2020 1:17 pm

Org Music usually does a good job but I am not a fan of their move to digital sources for reissues in recent years. Used to be they would cut from tape and use top mastering studios like Bernie Grundman and so on.

Definitely a "wait and see" thing for me.

Happy to see the original mix of RFL coming back in print though. I much prefer it to the later Caroline remix. Fortunately I bought a German Line CD of the original mix several years back before the prices went up.
patient_ot

Postby version sound » Wed Nov 25, 2020 1:32 pm

patient_ot wrote:Happy to see the original mix of RFL coming back in print though. I much prefer it to the later Caroline remix. Fortunately I bought a German Line CD of the original mix several years back before the prices went up.

I have the vinyl, but I still regret passing up a used copy of the OG PVC CD at $10 a few years ago. This is a record worth having in multiple formats...
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby drew » Wed Nov 25, 2020 3:34 pm

version sound wrote:
patient_ot wrote:Happy to see the original mix of RFL coming back in print though. I much prefer it to the later Caroline remix. Fortunately I bought a German Line CD of the original mix several years back before the prices went up.

I have the vinyl, but I still regret passing up a used copy of the OG PVC CD at $10 a few years ago. This is a record worth having in multiple formats...

I have the PVC CD I didn't know that was worth anything. Cool.
drew

Postby version sound » Wed Nov 25, 2020 3:37 pm

drew wrote:
version sound wrote:

I have the PVC CD I didn't know that was worth anything. Cool.

Yup, the PVC and Line CDs have the original mix, unlike every other CD since 1991.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby gregpolard » Wed Nov 25, 2020 4:33 pm

Was hoping for "Rise" to be reissued as that one is very hard to find. I have most of the others in original form or otherwise.
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby Nico » Thu Nov 26, 2020 8:01 am

patient_ot wrote:
Nico wrote:Only thing I am after is the Rock For Light with the Caroline mix, but that one is hard to come by.

The Caroline 1991 mix is a remix and should not be too difficult to find. The original mix is a different story. That was only issued on pre-1991 pressings.

On cd it is easy, but on vinyl it is cheaper/easier to find the OG mix.
Nico

Postby Marc M » Sat Nov 28, 2020 6:13 pm

Nice. I was actually just looking yesterday to grab a copy of Rock For Light or the ROIR sessions on vinyl and realized they were all out of print and going for $40+. Guess I'll wait a bit.
Marc M

Postby version sound » Sat Nov 28, 2020 8:08 pm

It’s even more expensive if you want ROIR from the master tapes. Supposedly, the last time those were used was around 1990. They have been AWOL for decades.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby patient_ot » Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:23 am

version sound wrote:It’s even more expensive if you want ROIR from the master tapes. Supposedly, the last time those were used was around 1990. They have been AWOL for decades.

Recently I got the '89 ROIR CD and compared that to the '96 remaster. I need to do some more comparisons but the '89 *might* sound better.
patient_ot

Postby patient_ot » Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:27 am

Nico wrote:
On cd it is easy, but on vinyl it is cheaper/easier to find the OG mix.

I guess it depends where you are located in the world and what specific pressings you want. The OG mix on vinyl, at least for a non-bootleg, isn't really cheap anymore unless you are looking at bootleg pressings which may or may not be the OG mix.

That said, the Caroline mix was only pressed on vinyl a few times, and even those are going for $40+. I'm not sure why anyone would really bother though, unless they are fixated on the vinyl format and really like the Caroline mix. It's a digitally mastered LP and probably won't sound better than the '91 Caroline CD.

I should also say that I don't really care for the Caroline mix at all anymore. It was okay when it was my only option during the mid-90s or whatever.
patient_ot

Postby pedro » Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:48 am

As someone who normally scratches his head and shrugs when people go on and on about mixes and pressings, I do have to say the Caroline CD version of Rock for Light is awful. If I remember correctly it is too fast, too high pitched and too thin. I haven't listened to it since seanTM sent me a rip of the original vinyl.

I am grateful to seanTM. Except for the maple syrup stains on the paper sleeve he sent it in.
Hello.
pedro

Postby patient_ot » Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:52 am

pedro wrote:As someone who normally scratches his head and shrugs when people go on and on about mixes and pressings, I do have to say the Caroline CD version of Rock for Light is awful. If I remember correctly it is too fast, too high pitched and too thin. I haven't listened to it since seanTM sent me a rip of the original vinyl.

I am grateful to seanTM. Except for the maple syrup stains on the paper sleeve he sent it in.

Right, the speed is wrong, throwing off the pitch. Of course I didn't know that when I first heard the album. But since hearing the OG mix around 10 years ago I can't go back either.
patient_ot

Postby lewdd » Mon Nov 30, 2020 12:01 pm

after seeing them play a Riot Fest show, I have a hard time listening to them without the poorest performance I have ever seen ruining it for me. One of these days, I will have to go back through their catalog from start to finish and figure out if I like a lot of their songs or just the 5 or so that I think I like.
lewdd

Postby gregpolard » Tue Dec 08, 2020 9:15 am

I caved and ordered the Pay To Cum 7" on color (I don't have a physical copy of it) and the Blue Note color version of "ROIR". I'm happy about it. Since they're not all coming at once I'll most likely just get the color versions of each one.
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby version sound » Tue Dec 08, 2020 10:57 am

The Org site made claims about “original tapes,” so since I don’t have ROIR on vinyl, I’ll bite on that one. I liked those Blue Note covers generally, but don’t love the one for ROIR and I don’t care about colored vinyl, so I’ll save $5 and get the black vinyl/OG cover. I’ll probably grab I Against I too. I don’t love it like the earlier stuff, but relistened recently and liked it better than I remembered. I also might go for Live at the Fillmore, but will probably settle for the CD.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby creature » Tue Dec 08, 2020 11:22 am

creature

Postby gregpolard » Tue Dec 08, 2020 11:30 am

version sound wrote:The Org site made claims about “original tapes,” so since I don’t have ROIR on vinyl, I’ll bite on that one. I liked those Blue Note covers generally, but don’t love the one for ROIR and I don’t care about colored vinyl, so I’ll save $5 and get the black vinyl/OG cover. I’ll probably grab I Against I too. I don’t love it like the earlier stuff, but relistened recently and liked it better than I remembered. I also might go for Live at the Fillmore, but will probably settle for the CD.

"I Against I" isn't part of this set of reissues (I'm assuming because SST?)
gregpolard

Postby version sound » Tue Dec 08, 2020 11:46 am

gregpolard wrote:"I Against I" isn't part of this set of reissues (I'm assuming because SST?)

Well, shit. I think I misread I and I Survive as I Against I when I initially glanced over the list. It’s currently OOP on SST too. In other news, I DO like the Blue Note cover for RFL. I’ll have to break out my PVC copy and give it a listen to see what kind of shape it’s in. If I need a back-up/replacement/upgrade, I might grab the BN version when it goes up for preorder...
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby earthdog70 » Thu Dec 10, 2020 7:53 pm

I'm glad I signed up on the email list on their site so I could be notified about the re-issues...via punknews.org :lol:

Who was in charge of the email distribution list-HR? :bag:
"And so it goes."-Kurt Vonnegut
earthdog70

Postby version sound » Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:06 am

earthdog70 wrote:I'm glad I signed up on the email list on their site so I could be notified about the re-issues...via punknews.org :lol:

Yup. I signed up and only found out that some of the pre-orders were up from this thread. Can we appoint Greg the official updater of this thread? I don’t trust Bad Brains to update me about anything.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby gregpolard » Fri Dec 11, 2020 4:16 pm

version sound wrote:
earthdog70 wrote:I'm glad I signed up on the email list on their site so I could be notified about the re-issues...via punknews.org :lol:

Yup. I signed up and only found out that some of the pre-orders were up from this thread. Can we appoint Greg the official updater of this thread? I don’t trust Bad Brains to update me about anything.

haha! I'll do my due diligence! I figure I'll get the regular version of ROIR from the record store if I see fit but glad I grabbed the color.
gregpolard

Postby version sound » Sat Dec 19, 2020 3:19 pm

Shockingly enough, it doesn’t look like the Blue Note cover version of the first LP has sold out. I’m listening to my copy of RFL right now, and it’s pristine. Zero surface noise. I don’t remember where I bought this copy, but I don’t think it’s ever been played, or if it has, it was handled ver delicately. There are no spindle marks whatsoever. Long story short, I probably won’t buy the RFL reissue after all. Maybe I will buy the limited version of the first album if it’s not sold out after the holidays...
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby lewdd » Sat Dec 19, 2020 4:05 pm

version sound wrote:Shockingly enough, it doesn’t look like the Blue Note cover version of the first LP has sold out. I’m listening to my copy of RFL right now, and it’s pristine. Zero surface noise. I don’t remember where I bought this copy, but I don’t think it’s ever been played, or if it has, it was handled ver delicately. There are no spindle marks whatsoever. Long story short, I probably won’t buy the RFL reissue after all. Maybe I will buy the limited version of the first album if it’s not sold out after the holidays...

Do you use a carbon fiber brush and or cleaning solution and brush to clean your records before each play?
lewdd

Postby version sound » Sat Dec 19, 2020 5:27 pm

I used the old school Discwasher. Sometimes with fluid, sometimes without. Audiophile nerds will say that this just pushes the dust around, and it ends up on your needle, but I’ve been using one of these things since the 80s, and I have never found that to be the case.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby lewdd » Sat Dec 19, 2020 5:35 pm

version sound wrote:I used the old school Discwasher. Sometimes with fluid, sometimes without. Audiophile nerds will say that this just pushes the dust around, and it ends up on your needle, but I’ve been using one of these things since the 80s, and I have never found that to be the case.

I use the carbon fiber followed by the discwasher style pad. I have a lit magnifying glass that is supposedly used to look at diamonds (but less than $10) that works well to see if you have gunk on the needle. I then clean that up.

I find that if you can keep the records and the needle clean and static free that I have very few crackles and pops on new and used records and they stay very silent between songs and no noise during songs.
lewdd

Postby JGJR » Tue Dec 22, 2020 1:05 pm

version sound wrote:It’s even more expensive if you want ROIR from the master tapes. Supposedly, the last time those were used was around 1990. They have been AWOL for decades.

I'm glad I've kept my tape all of these years then; didn't know that. Oh and these are only the ones that the band has the rights to, hence why it's only some ofthe pre-SST and Caroline stuff.
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby version sound » Mon Jun 21, 2021 6:58 pm

Got my S/T today. Looks good. I’ll give it a spin when I get the chance. Anyone else get their order yet?
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby drew » Tue Jun 22, 2021 2:57 pm

Flipping through the Zine now. Some pretty interesting news among the accolades & photos.

I’ll put it on for a listen a little later
drew

Postby drew » Tue Jun 22, 2021 5:28 pm

I feel like I’m hearing the Bass-playing on “Banned In D.C.” for the first time......and it is freaking amazing.
drew

Postby gregpolard » Tue Jun 22, 2021 7:47 pm

I got mine (the Pay to Cum 7" and the Blue Note ROIR) the other day. Haven't had a chance to play yet but they look great!

It looks like the Rock For Light isn't out til like September which means I won't get either that or the I and I...EP until then since they ship together.
gregpolard

Postby version sound » Wed Jun 23, 2021 2:06 pm

Just listened to the S/T LP. The pressing is great, flat and quiet vinyl. Side two looks like it might be slightly off center, but not enough to be audible. The recording itself still sounds like shit. The reggae songs sound much better than the punk songs. Maybe they weren’t recorded as hot? Anyway, if anyone was hoping for a miracle, we didn’t get it. I can fully understand people being in love with this recording if it was the first Bad Brains album they heard, but I heard RFL first and always felt that this paled in comparison. This version did not change that.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby patient_ot » Wed Jun 23, 2021 2:45 pm

version sound wrote:Just listened to the S/T LP. The pressing is great, flat and quiet vinyl. Side two looks like it might be slightly off center, but not enough to be audible. The recording itself still sounds like shit. The reggae songs sound much better than the punk songs. Maybe they weren’t recorded as hot? Anyway, if anyone was hoping for a miracle, we didn’t get it. I can fully understand people being in love with this recording if it was the first Bad Brains album they heard, but I heard RFL first and always felt that this paled in comparison. This version did not change that.

You can't "fix" the recording with any amount of remastering. It's raw and was not recorded in a professional studio. I like RFL (the o.g. mix anyway) a lot more than the s/t but the energy of the performances on the s/t is there and what makes me return it when I'm in the mood.
patient_ot

Postby version sound » Wed Jun 23, 2021 4:57 pm

I had the original cassette in ‘83 or ‘84 (years before the masters supposedly disappeared) and always thought it sounded like crap compared to RFL. I’ve read claims that the original Dutch East India vinyl sounded good because it came from the masters, but that seems pretty hard to believe. Good compared to later versions that were even worse, maybe.

I need to listen to the AT 12” and see if that sounds any better. This recording is still essential if you’re a Bad Brains fan, but yeah, it doesn’t seem like it will ever sound very good.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby patient_ot » Thu Jun 24, 2021 6:34 am

version sound wrote:I had the original cassette in ‘83 or ‘84 (years before the masters supposedly disappeared) and always thought it sounded like crap compared to RFL. I’ve read claims that the original Dutch East India vinyl sounded good because it came from the masters, but that seems pretty hard to believe. Good compared to later versions that were even worse, maybe.

I need to listen to the AT 12” and see if that sounds any better. This recording is still essential if you’re a Bad Brains fan, but yeah, it doesn’t seem like it will ever sound very good.

If you had the original tape that's probably as good as it will ever sound. I don't know anything about the 1990 DEI release but I have the '89 In-Effect CD. The In-Effect and We Bite versions appear to be the first time the album was reissued, both on CD and vinyl, and both being released the same year. I might say the In-Effect CD sounds slightly better than the '96 ROIR CD but again, you can't fix the recording itself which was never a professional recording in the first place.
patient_ot

Postby version sound » Thu Jun 24, 2021 3:18 pm

I listened to the AT 12” this afternoon, and it sounds just as bad as the ROIR/Org versions. On the bright side, I don’t have to waste time tracking down the DEI version. Again, the reggae track on the 12” sounds better than the punk tunes. It’s got a lot more bottom end. The punk stuff seems to have very little bottom or top. Maybe they recorded the reggae tracks differently.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby patient_ot » Fri Jun 25, 2021 7:47 am

version sound wrote:I listened to the AT 12” this afternoon, and it sounds just as bad as the ROIR/Org versions. On the bright side, I don’t have to waste time tracking down the DEI version. Again, the reggae track on the 12” sounds better than the punk tunes. It’s got a lot more bottom end. The punk stuff seems to have very little bottom or top. Maybe they recorded the reggae tracks differently.

The thing about reggae (and I don't know how much regular reggae you listen to) is that you can have a poor, unconventional recording and it can still sound good. Many famous reggae albums that weren't hugely popular in the mainstream (e.g. not Marley) were often recorded in a very raw manner and sometimes even mixed to mono, even in the 70s.
patient_ot

Postby version sound » Fri Jun 25, 2021 6:57 pm

patient_ot wrote:The thing about reggae (and I don't know how much regular reggae you listen to) is that you can have a poor, unconventional recording and it can still sound good. Many famous reggae albums that weren't hugely popular in the mainstream (e.g. not Marley) were often recorded in a very raw manner and sometimes even mixed to mono, even in the 70s.

I think this goes for a lot of early punk and hardcore too. In this case, I’m beginning to think that part of the issue was that “upgrading” my amplifier is revealing flaws that weren’t as noticeable before. I listened to a bit of it on Apple Music, and it actually sounded better. I think the increased compression and lower fidelity smoothes it out a bit.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby patient_ot » Fri Jun 25, 2021 11:40 pm

version sound wrote:I think this goes for a lot of early punk and hardcore too. In this case, I’m beginning to think that part of the issue was that “upgrading” my amplifier is revealing flaws that weren’t as noticeable before. I listened to a bit of it on Apple Music, and it actually sounded better. I think the increased compression and lower fidelity smoothes it out a bit.

There's that, but I even back when I was listening to tunes on a $99 boombox or discman and $50 headphones in high school I never though the ROIR album sounded that great. I did hear some of it once at a friend's place. I think he had a typical "party stereo" set up with a big amp and huge Cervin Vega speakers. Just about any heavy/aggro music sounded great on a rig like that, no matter how poorly recorded, e.g. a Mohinder 7''.
patient_ot

Postby JGJR » Sat Jun 26, 2021 11:23 am

patient_ot wrote:
version sound wrote:I think this goes for a lot of early punk and hardcore too. In this case, I’m beginning to think that part of the issue was that “upgrading” my amplifier is revealing flaws that weren’t as noticeable before. I listened to a bit of it on Apple Music, and it actually sounded better. I think the increased compression and lower fidelity smoothes it out a bit.

There's that, but I even back when I was listening to tunes on a $99 boombox or discman and $50 headphones in high school I never though the ROIR album sounded that great. I did hear some of it once at a friend's place. I think he had a typical "party stereo" set up with a big amp and huge Cervin Vega speakers. Just about any heavy/aggro music sounded great on a rig like that, no matter how poorly recorded, e.g. a Mohinder 7''.

I remember buying the Mohinder 7" at a now-legendary show in '95 that ended up being Ignite's first East Coast show (though they weren't on the flyer) and the first Texas is the Reason show. They opened the show and we got there late, so we missed their set and I didn't see them until 2012 or something. Anyway, the greater point is that I wish I still had that Mohinder 7". That must have bee an experience to hear it on a system like that.
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby patient_ot » Sat Jun 26, 2021 11:39 am

JGJR wrote:I remember buying the Mohinder 7" at a now-legendary show in '95 that ended up being Ignite's first East Coast show (though they weren't on the flyer) and the first Texas is the Reason show. They opened the show and we got there late, so we missed their set and I didn't see them until 2012 or something. Anyway, the greater point is that I wish I still had that Mohinder 7". That must have bee an experience to hear it on a system like that.

At the time, those 7''s were fairly expensive and the guy who had it was very excited to get it. This would've been in the late 90s. The 7'' he showed me had a handmade cover made of magazine pages which I think were screenprinted over. Party stereo systems like that are not meant for sound quality. They are meant for loud volumes with heavy bass. They can be fun to listen to with certain types of music but not something I would want for my main rig to listen to music on.
patient_ot

Next

Return to daghouse