What are you reading?

What are you reading?

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Mon Nov 02, 2020 8:16 pm

Right now: 'Home' by Harlan Coben
'Books of Blood Volume I' - Clive Barker

Up next: 'Girl in a Band' Kim Gordon
Audiobook: Blowout' - Rachel Maddow

In 2020 so far:
"Too Much and Never Enough: How My Family Created the World’s Most Dangerous Man" - Mary Trump
'Suffer the Children' - John Saul
'Ghost Rider' - Neil Peart
xxxMidgexxx

Re: What are you reading?

Postby target » Mon Nov 02, 2020 9:15 pm

My commute was the only time I was able to read and I lost that in March. Before that this year I read the broken earth trilogy by nk jemisen, shock doctrine by naomi klein and the three body problem by cixin liu.

I’m now working on the happiest toddler on the block
target

Postby version sound » Tue Nov 03, 2020 10:15 am

I’m nearing the end of a really effing long book about the Beatles. Spoiler Alert: John “Give Peace a Chance” Lennon is a total asshole.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby Hal » Tue Nov 03, 2020 11:43 am

Just finished the Bad Religion book Do What You Want. Started Dave Brubeck: A Life In Time last night.
Hal

Postby lewdd » Tue Nov 03, 2020 12:48 pm

Hal wrote:Just finished the Bad Religion book Do What You Want. Started Dave Brubeck: A Life In Time last night.

I need to give Brubeck more of a listen, but so far I have not been able to get into his music.
lewdd

Postby gregpolard » Tue Nov 03, 2020 1:01 pm

I just finished "The History of Nemesis Records...and Big Frank Harrison" by Patrick Kitzel/Reaper Records

Just started a short one, "The Cycle of The Werewolf" by Stephen King
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby scannest » Tue Nov 03, 2020 1:23 pm

I'm reading Richard Brautigan's "The Abortion: An Historical Romance 1966". I really enjoying his style. Highly entertaining and poetic.

I recently finished "Make My Day: Movie Culture in the Age of Reagan" by J Hoberman. Incredibly informative and insightful like all his books (he is one of my favorite film authors). The parallels between Reagan and Trump were oddly comforting.
"It's got some great chanting on it" - gregpolard.
scannest

Postby drew » Tue Nov 03, 2020 1:47 pm

Just finished -Chris Frantz- REMAIN IN LOVE Very enjoyable story about one of my favorite bands.

Peter Hook- UNKNOWN PLEASURES It's not the first of his trilogy but I'm way more interested in Joy Division than what it was like running The Hacienda club. But I like his style so I'm going to pick up that one next.

Eamon Loinsgraph- DIVIDE THE DAWN: FIGHT The third in his early-20th century series about the Irish gangs of Brooklyn

Up Next- Bob Dylan- CHRONICLES

Ted Ch'iang- EXALTATION Short Stories

Audiobook- Picard- The last best hope Prequel to to the new series before I start watching
drew

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Tue Nov 03, 2020 4:38 pm

drew wrote:Just finished -Chris Frantz- REMAIN IN LOVE Very enjoyable story about one of my favorite bands.

I heard good things about that book. I might add that to my list.
xxxMidgexxx

Postby Hal » Tue Nov 03, 2020 4:45 pm

lewdd wrote:
Hal wrote:Just finished the Bad Religion book Do What You Want. Started Dave Brubeck: A Life In Time last night.

I need to give Brubeck more of a listen, but so far I have not been able to get into his music.

I'm not that familiar with much of his work beyond Time Out. I plan to take a deep dive into his catalog as I read the book.
Hal

Postby lewdd » Tue Nov 03, 2020 4:54 pm

Hal wrote:
lewdd wrote:

I'm not that familiar with much of his work beyond Time Out. I plan to take a deep dive into his catalog as I read the book.

Please post back on your thoughts on the book when you are complete with it.
lewdd

Postby Hal » Wed Nov 04, 2020 9:22 am

Aye, aye captain. I'm about 50 pages in and it's some intense reading. Good writing, but a bit over the top.
Hal

Postby Knutsen » Thu Nov 05, 2020 10:41 am

The latest Ian Rankin book.
Listening to Punk today is like listening to Glenn Miller in 1982.
Knutsen

Postby FlexMyHead » Thu Nov 05, 2020 5:06 pm

I'm reading my first 100% online book, it's that rough draft one about New York Hardcore that the guy gave up on and just put it up for free in a very draft form:

https://www.scribd.com/document/2499236 ... oenig-2009
FlexMyHead

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Thu Nov 05, 2020 9:31 pm

FlexMyHead wrote:I'm reading my first 100% online book, it's that rough draft one about New York Hardcore that the guy gave up on and just put it up for free in a very draft form:

https://www.scribd.com/document/2499236 ... oenig-2009

I'm not a big fan of NYHC, but David Koenig is indeed a great source and prolly one of the best people to write this book. He was certainly there for the glory days.
xxxMidgexxx

Postby pedro » Fri Nov 06, 2020 9:30 am

I just finished Educated by Tara Westover.

Quite a story.
Hello.
pedro

Postby version sound » Mon Nov 09, 2020 1:59 pm

I started reading Richard Lloyd’s book. Wow, what a weirdo.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby Marc M » Wed Nov 11, 2020 10:28 pm

Just finished Less Than Zero

In the middle of Moonwalking With Einstein.

Up next, the NOFX & Beastie Boys books.
Marc M

Postby version sound » Thu Nov 12, 2020 11:18 am

Finished the Beatles tome and jumped back into the Dean Wareham autobiography, which is much more entertaining than I remembered. Still also reading the Richard Lloyd book. Still think he’s a weirdo.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby earthdog70 » Sat Nov 14, 2020 5:38 pm

Look Homeward, Angel by Thomas Wolfe.

I will probably start on Rob Halford's Confess next :lol:
"And so it goes."-Kurt Vonnegut
earthdog70

Postby FlexMyHead » Sun Nov 15, 2020 8:18 am

Right this very second, I'm drinking coffee & listening to the Faction "Hidden Messages" [Green vinyl, Beer City repress] and reading this really nice collection of Mike Gitter's xXx fanzine. Will write a review in that Book thread somebody started a while back....

FlexMyHead

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Sun Nov 15, 2020 5:59 pm

Audiobook: Blowout' - Rachel Maddow

About 2/3 done and it is intense as all hell. It appears to be all based on fact or as she is making it seem like it is. After looking up some of the 'characters' in her book, the plot got more frightening.

IMO, she is the smartest person on ANY television channel right now.
xxxMidgexxx

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Fri Jan 01, 2021 10:21 am

New book acquisitions yesterday:

Occult America (Mitch Horowitz)
The Mark (Lahaye/Jenkins)
Stepford Wives (Original hardcover. Ira Levin)
xxxMidgexxx

Postby version sound » Fri Jan 01, 2021 11:37 am

Setting The Record Straight by John McDermott and Eddie Kramer
The Lady from the Black Lagoon: Hollywood Monsters and the Lost Legacy of Milicent Patrick by Mallory O'Meara
When Can I Fly? by Michael Belfer with Will York
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby Hal » Fri Jan 01, 2021 11:56 am

Current: DUNE - Frank Herbert

On Deck: Beastie Boys Book
Hal

Postby JGJR » Fri Jan 01, 2021 1:33 pm

drew wrote:Peter Hook- UNKNOWN PLEASURES It's not the first of his trilogy but I'm way more interested in Joy Division than what it was like running The Hacienda club. But I like his style so I'm going to pick up that one next.

I definitely recommend the last book in the trilogy, which is his autobiography Substance: Inside New Order. The amount of bitterness towards Barney in particular (while acknowledging his talents) makes me think a reunion would be impossible, but that's the only distraction from a pretty fascinating story. He goes into the details of Joy Division, too, so some of it might be repeated from the Unknown Pleasures book?
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby JGJR » Fri Jan 01, 2021 1:38 pm

version sound wrote:Finished the Beatles tome and jumped back into the Dean Wareham autobiography, which is much more entertaining than I remembered. Still also reading the Richard Lloyd book. Still think he’s a weirdo.

I loved Dean's book, especially re-reading it last year. I think I got it around when it came out, though I can't remember if I bought it new or used, and read it then initially. My favorite non-musical part might've been his observations about America in the '80s and Dan Rather wearing a Mujahadeen outfit on national TV during the USSR/Afghanistan war.
JGJR

Postby JGJR » Fri Jan 01, 2021 1:40 pm

Marc M wrote:Just finished Less Than Zero

I assume you mean Bret Easton Elli's 1st book? I haven't read it in many years, but I am a fan. I thought it was better than the film FWIW (aside from Robert Downey Jr's performance).
JGJR

Postby lewdd » Fri Jan 01, 2021 1:52 pm

online help sites to restart one of my synology servers since Midge refused to help because he didn't get any bbq
lewdd

Postby earthdog70 » Fri Jan 01, 2021 3:18 pm

Hal-I got that for my son for Xmas, I will most likely read it after he is done.

Savage Art-biography on Jim Thompson (Author of The Grifters, The Getaway etc)
"And so it goes."-Kurt Vonnegut
earthdog70

Postby Hal » Fri Jan 01, 2021 3:31 pm

earthdog70 wrote:Hal-I got that for my son for Xmas, I will most likely read it after he is done.

I'm looking forward to it! Haven't done a Beasties audio binge in a while either.
Hal

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Mon Feb 08, 2021 4:50 pm

Cheating. Listening....

Audiobook. 'The Watergate Girl: My Fight for Truth and Justice Against a Criminal President' by Jill Wine-Banks

Started yesterday.

(Psst: Jill answers all my emails and messages. And I love this the way I love how Rollins answers my emails.) :D
xxxMidgexxx

Postby lewdd » Mon Feb 08, 2021 6:00 pm

Vive Le Rock Issue #79 - The Story of Oi! and Streetpunk
lewdd

Postby Fillavoid » Tue Feb 16, 2021 4:51 pm

I just finished reading How To Write One Song by Jeff Tweedy. I enjoyed learning about his songwriting process.
Fillavoid

Postby lewdd » Tue Feb 16, 2021 5:05 pm

The Best Seat in the House: A Cock Sparrer Story written by their drummer, Steve Bruce. I read about 100 pages last night. Will probably work thru it in the next few evenings. Up next is The Hammer: Confessions of a Hockey Enforcer by Dave "The Hammer" Schultz.
lewdd

Postby version sound » Tue Feb 16, 2021 5:34 pm

Um...this thread?
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby scannest » Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:27 am

I'm reading "Shutter Island" right now. I saw the film when it came out but don't remember much about it. Then, about 20 pages into the book, I realized that there was a big twist at the end and it immediately came back to me. So the question became, do I keep reading even though I already know the surprise ending? I am, and it's good.
scannest

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Mon Mar 08, 2021 11:54 am

"Everything That Rises Must Converge" - Flannery O'Connor
Collection of short stories covering the period after segregation was no longer a thing. She died pretty young
xxxMidgexxx

Postby lewdd » Mon Mar 08, 2021 12:20 pm

chapters in The Da Capo Jazz and Blues Lover's Guide to the US in preparation for a vacation in April
lewdd

Postby scannest » Mon Mar 08, 2021 12:52 pm

"Can't Slow Down: How 1984 Became Pop's Blockbuster Year" by Michaelangelo Matos.
Last edited by scannest on Tue Mar 09, 2021 7:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
scannest

Postby Fillavoid » Mon Mar 08, 2021 3:18 pm

xxxMidgexxx wrote:"Everything That Rises Must Converge" - Flannery O'Connor
Collection of short stories covering the period after segregation was no longer a thing. She died pretty young

Nice! I've read some of her short stories, and they're pretty amazing. I really liked "A Good Man is Hard to Find" and "Revelation". For me, those stories were a bit like getting smacked in the face, but in a good way (I guess O'Connor was kind of metal in that sense...haha). It’s definitely hard to believe someone so young wrote those stories.
Fillavoid

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Mon Mar 08, 2021 6:13 pm

Fillavoid wrote:
xxxMidgexxx wrote:"Everything That Rises Must Converge" - Flannery O'Connor

Nice! I've read some of her short stories, and they're pretty amazing. I really liked "A Good Man is Hard to Find" and "Revelation". For me, those stories were a bit like getting smacked in the face, but in a good way (I guess O'Connor was kind of metal in that sense...haha). It’s definitely hard to believe someone so young wrote those stories.

I'm almost done watching the film 'Wise Blood' from 1979 with Brad Dourif as well. I think its pretty good so far. She certainly has a way of storytelling.

Also, PBS has a documentary on her coming out this month.

https://www.pbs.org/wnet/americanmasters/flannery-oconnor-documentary/16694/
xxxMidgexxx

Postby scannest » Tue Mar 09, 2021 7:20 am

xxxMidgexxx wrote:I'm almost done watching the film 'Wise Blood' from 1979 with Brad Dourif as well. I think its pretty good so far. She certainly has a way of storytelling.

Great movie.
My wife is reading some Flannery right now too. Funny coincidence.
scannest

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:51 am

scannest wrote:
xxxMidgexxx wrote:I'm almost done watching the film 'Wise Blood' from 1979 with Brad Dourif as well. I think its pretty good so far. She certainly has a way of storytelling.

Great movie.
My wife is reading some Flannery right now too. Funny coincidence.

I get the Thirteen/PBS newsletter since I donate $ to them occasionally. This forthcoming bio piqued my interest and I was down the rabbit hole. Brad Dourif is pretty good to great with almost anything he does really. This film is no exception. Though I came to really loathe the character of Hazel Motes by the end of the film.
xxxMidgexxx

Postby scannest » Tue Mar 09, 2021 12:53 pm

xxxMidgexxx wrote:Brad Dourif is pretty good to great with almost anything he does really. This film is no exception. Though I came to really loathe the character of Hazel Motes by the end of the film.

Dourif is a fantastic actor (he's the unsung MVP of "Deadwood"). And it's okay to hate Hazel Motes. I'd say it's the correct response. You can still love a movie even if you hate the main character (see also Taxi Driver and There Will Be Blood and The Social Network...)
scannest

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Tue Mar 09, 2021 11:40 pm

scannest wrote:
xxxMidgexxx wrote:Brad Dourif is pretty good to great with almost anything he does really. This film is no exception. Though I came to really loathe the character of Hazel Motes by the end of the film.

Dourif is a fantastic actor (he's the unsung MVP of "Deadwood"). And it's okay to hate Hazel Motes. I'd say it's the correct response. You can still love a movie even if you hate the main character (see also Taxi Driver and There Will Be Blood and The Social Network...)

I may even have to eventually bring myself to sit through Exorcist III in its entirety. It's gotten some real good reviews though that franchise sucked after the first one.
xxxMidgexxx

Postby scannest » Wed Mar 10, 2021 7:15 am

xxxMidgexxx wrote:I may even have to eventually bring myself to sit through Exorcist III in its entirety. It's gotten some real good reviews though that franchise sucked after the first one.

Exorcist III has one genuinely scary scene and that's it. Recommended only if you love over the top George C. Scott.
scannest

Postby drew » Wed Mar 10, 2021 4:49 pm

scannest wrote:
xxxMidgexxx wrote:I may even have to eventually bring myself to sit through Exorcist III in its entirety. It's gotten some real good reviews though that franchise sucked after the first one.

Exorcist III has one genuinely scary scene and that's it. Recommended only if you love over the top George C. Scott.

Exorcist III is really good. Totally worth a watch.

Finishing up DARK SITE by Patrick Lee. last part of a trilogy. Next up- SPIN by Robert Charles Wilson first part of a trilogy.....
drew

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Tue Mar 16, 2021 2:14 pm

Audiobook: The Sum of Us: What Racism Costs Everyone and How We Can Prosper Together (Heather McGhee)
Heard her on Al Franken's podcast and I was impressed enough to buy the audiobook. Starting.......now!
xxxMidgexxx

Postby lewdd » Tue Mar 16, 2021 2:49 pm

Hidden History of Music Row
lewdd

Next

Return to daghouse