What are you reading?

Re: What are you reading?

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Wed Mar 24, 2021 5:30 pm

xxxMidgexxx wrote:"Everything That Rises Must Converge" - Flannery O'Connor
Collection of short stories covering the period after segregation was no longer a thing. She died pretty young

Update:
Good writer, but some of these stories are pointless and get me pissed off. I wonder if she was trying to show what assholes people can be.
xxxMidgexxx

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Wed Mar 24, 2021 5:32 pm

A Deadly Influence by Mike Omer
No idea what I'm getting myself into here. I'm going into this by a suggestion from Amazon based on my reading taste. Probably some dark, psychotic shit up ahead.
xxxMidgexxx

Postby xxxHunterxxx » Wed Mar 24, 2021 6:29 pm

Sam Shepard - Seven Plays. True West is great.
World’s biggest Snakes fan.
xxxHunterxxx

Postby scannest » Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:12 am

xxxHunterxxx wrote:Sam Shepard - Seven Plays. True West is great.

That collection went everywhere with me when I was 18, 19. Tried to put on True West at my high school (a year or two after I graduated) but the administration wouldn't go for it. Fuckers.
"It's got some great chanting on it" - gregpolard.
scannest

Postby xxxHunterxxx » Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:47 am

scannest wrote:
xxxHunterxxx wrote:Sam Shepard - Seven Plays. True West is great.

That collection went everywhere with me when I was 18, 19. Tried to put on True West at my high school (a year or two after I graduated) but the administration wouldn't go for it. Fuckers.

That would’ve been amazing. I’ve read four of the seven plays thus far. They’re all good/interesting but True West is my fave. I’d love to see it performed.
xxxHunterxxx

Postby scannest » Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:02 am

xxxHunterxxx wrote:That would’ve been amazing. I’ve read four of the seven plays thus far. They’re all good/interesting but True West is my fave. I’d love to see it performed.

There was a version with Gary Sinise and John Malkovich that was broadcast on PBS in 1984 that blew my little mind wide open. I think you can watch it on YouTube.
I also got to see Vincent D'Onofrio star in a production of The Tooth of Crime in the early '90s. Can't say I understood much of what was going on (it is a LOUD r'n'r musical and we were sitting in the front row almost under D'Onfrio's boots most of the time), but the visceral impact was massive.
scannest

Postby version sound » Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:04 am

What aren’t I reading?

“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby xxxHunterxxx » Thu Mar 25, 2021 12:05 pm

scannest wrote:
xxxHunterxxx wrote:That would’ve been amazing. I’ve read four of the seven plays thus far. They’re all good/interesting but True West is my fave. I’d love to see it performed.

There was a version with Gary Sinise and John Malkovich that was broadcast on PBS in 1984 that blew my little mind wide open. I think you can watch it on YouTube.
I also got to see Vincent D'Onofrio star in a production of The Tooth of Crime in the early '90s. Can't say I understood much of what was going on (it is a LOUD r'n'r musical and we were sitting in the front row almost under D'Onfrio's boots most of the time), but the visceral impact was massive.

I’ll look for the Malkovich/Sinise version. I would’ve loved to see it with Peter Coyote.

The D’Onofrio production sounds awesome. Tooth of the Crime seems like it’s much better experienced than read.
xxxHunterxxx

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Fri May 28, 2021 12:44 am

xxxMidgexxx

Postby JGJR » Fri May 28, 2021 9:11 am

I just finished the 33/13 on You're Living All Over Me the other week and am working on a few other books. Thanks again to VS for sending that to me as well as the one on Loveless.
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby version sound » Fri May 28, 2021 4:27 pm

Remain in Love by Chris Fartz
Mark of Athena by Rick Riordan
Paul McCartney: Many Years From Now by Barry Miles
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:35 am

Just finished the Audiobook of I Alone Can Fix It by Carol Leonnig and Phil Rucker.

Washington Post reporters collaborate on a pretty shocking book. Well...maybe not that shocking. I was actually impressed and happy to hear that a LOT of the cabinet Republicans really tried to do the right thing and stop this maniac former pres from a ton of ridiculous (and illegal) bullshit.

Prediction is that they get a Pulitzer for this. Carol already has a few.

https://www.npr.org/2021/07/15/1015877795/how-it-went-down-authors-go-deep-into-doomed-2020-trump-white-house

Also working through The Book of Black Magic and of Pacts by Arthur Edward Waite. Kinda meh to start. Hope it picks up.

Last edited by xxxMidgexxx on Fri Jul 30, 2021 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
xxxMidgexxx

Postby gregpolard » Thu Jul 29, 2021 6:10 am

"End of Watch" which is the third book in a trilogy by Stephen King centered around retired detective Bill Hodges. I'm about halfway through
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby xxxHunterxxx » Thu Jul 29, 2021 7:09 am

xxxMidgexxx wrote:Just finished the Audiobook of Only I Can Fix It by Carol Leonnig and Phil Rucker.

Washington Post reporters collaborate on a pretty shocking book. Well...maybe not that shocking. I was actually impressed and happy to hear that a LOT of the cabinet Republicans really tried to do the right thing and stop this maniac former pres from a ton of ridiculous (and illegal) bullshit.

Prediction is that they get a Pulitzer for this. Carol already has a few.

https://www.npr.org/2021/07/15/1015877795/how-it-went-down-authors-go-deep-into-doomed-2020-trump-white-house

Also working through The Book of Black Magic and of Pacts by Arthur Edward Waite. Kinda meh to start. Hope it picks up.

Carol was there the night Gore Vidal told you to shut up.
xxxHunterxxx

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Thu Jul 29, 2021 7:22 am

xxxHunterxxx wrote:Carol was there the night Gore Vidal told you to shut up.

Are you joking? I ADORE her!!
xxxMidgexxx

Postby JGJR » Thu Jul 29, 2021 7:37 am

I just got Ska Boom! by Marc Wasserman in the mail a few days ago and am really looking forward to digging into it.

http://www.diwulf.com/books/ska-boom-an ... -wasserman

It's an oral history of American ska and reggae from 1980 to 1993.
JGJR

Postby xxxHunterxxx » Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:45 am

xxxMidgexxx wrote:

Are you joking? I ADORE her!!

No. She’s my neighbor — a regular attendee (and dancer) at PRINCESS gigs.
xxxHunterxxx

Postby scannest » Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:28 am

That's insane. Was she sitting with Mr. Vidal at the time of The Incident?
scannest

Postby xxxHunterxxx » Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:04 am

scannest wrote:

Nah. She was just somewhere within the walls of the Parthenon Grill/Chevy Chase Lounge.
xxxHunterxxx

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:27 am

xxxHunterxxx wrote:
scannest wrote:

Nah. She was just somewhere within the walls of the Parthenon Grill/Chevy Chase Lounge.

Is that where the WaPo celebs hang out? You should invite me down on a regular basis. If Carol (or Phil) told me to shut up, it would be an honor.
As far as Mr. Vidal is concerned, we all know how he wound up after he mouthed off to me.
Last edited by xxxMidgexxx on Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
xxxMidgexxx

Postby scannest » Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:29 am

xxxHunterxxx wrote:Nah. She was just somewhere within the walls of the Parthenon Grill/Chevy Chase Lounge.

Well, thanks for the memories. Before Dag or GI? I think it was me, you, Pilster, and Twinkle Toes. Maybe Pedro?

Good times, good times.
scannest

Postby xxxHunterxxx » Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:32 am

scannest wrote:
xxxHunterxxx wrote:Nah. She was just somewhere within the walls of the Parthenon Grill/Chevy Chase Lounge.

Well, thanks for the memories. Before Dag or GI? I think it was me, you, Pilster, and Twinkle Toes. Maybe Pedro?

Good times, good times.

GI at the Black Cat. 2010, maybe?
xxxHunterxxx

Postby pedro » Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:46 am

I was there to see Princess. GI was an added bonus.
Hello.
pedro

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:49 pm

version sound wrote:Remain in Love by Chris Fartz

Freudian slip?
xxxMidgexxx

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Tue Aug 17, 2021 9:20 pm

Dangerous Visions 1967. Science fiction short story anthology.
Razorcake zine Issue #123. Good columns. Especially Jim Ruland's "Where's Dando" column. I guess some things have not changed.
Directions to the Outskirts of Town: Punk Rock Tour Diaries Still working through Welly's book. Geez. I'm glad I don't drink anymore. I could never tour with a band like Chaos UK. I'd be dead if that was now.
Steven Comic by Doug Allen. Re-buying all the old issues. I miss it.

Ordered the hardcopy of: Punk USA. The Rise and Fall of Lookout! Records.
xxxMidgexxx

Postby earthdog70 » Wed Aug 18, 2021 6:52 pm

Midge wrote: Razorcake zine Issue #123. Good columns. Especially Jim Ruland's "Where's Dando" column. I guess some things have not changed.

Oh? What about insightful record reviews by a Daghouse regular :lol:
"And so it goes."-Kurt Vonnegut
earthdog70

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Wed Aug 18, 2021 7:09 pm

earthdog70 wrote:
Midge wrote: Razorcake zine Issue #123. Good columns. Especially Jim Ruland's "Where's Dando" column. I guess some things have not changed.

Oh? What about insightful record reviews by a Daghouse regular :lol:

oh?
xxxMidgexxx

Postby FormerLurker » Thu Aug 19, 2021 10:16 am

I've spent my summer working through Steinbeck's lesser novels.
FormerLurker

Postby jaybird » Thu Aug 19, 2021 11:40 am

FormerLurker wrote:I've spent my summer working through Steinbeck's lesser novels.

I had to read The Pearl the summer before I started 9th grade, and had to be ready to write an essay on it like first week of school. Total gut-punch/depressing ending. Enjoy your summer kids!
jaybird

Postby FormerLurker » Sun Aug 22, 2021 8:40 am

jaybird wrote:
FormerLurker wrote:I've spent my summer working through Steinbeck's lesser novels.

I had to read The Pearl the summer before I started 9th grade, and had to be ready to write an essay on it like first week of school. Total gut-punch/depressing ending. Enjoy your summer kids!

I cannot fuckin' believe that "The Red Pony" is regarded as a young adult standard. I nearly puked two different times reading it.
FormerLurker

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Sun Aug 29, 2021 1:45 am

I’m a good way through “The Outlaw Bible of American Poetry”.

Borrowed it from my roommate. It was published in 1999 and has a lot of familiar names but mostly unfamiliar to me. Plus a bit of their backstories and the probable reasons for their obscurity. Lots of this material is really good shit. Got a few of them in trouble with the police back in the day.
xxxMidgexxx

Postby scannest » Mon Aug 30, 2021 7:56 am

My wife got me this book that should be right up my alley - it's about George Harrison and Eric Clapton and the time that their lives and careers intersected. It covers "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" and ALL THINGS MUST PASS and LAYLA and when they both played with Bonnie & Delaney, their mutual obsession with The Band, the insanity that was their mutual love for Patti Boyd, etc. But I have to say, Eric Clapton's most recent trajectory into full blow asshole-ism is really keeping me from digging in too deep. Sure, you can counter that he's always been an asshole, and that's totally fair. But trying to read this a few days after he put out that abomination of a song (I'm not gonna link to it, but you can find it easy enough) is all but impossible.
scannest

Postby JGJR » Mon Aug 30, 2021 12:17 pm

scannest wrote:My wife got me this book that should be right up my alley - it's about George Harrison and Eric Clapton and the time that their lives and careers intersected. It covers "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" and ALL THINGS MUST PASS and LAYLA and when they both played with Bonnie & Delaney, their mutual obsession with The Band, the insanity that was their mutual love for Patti Boyd, etc. But I have to say, Eric Clapton's most recent trajectory into full blow asshole-ism is really keeping me from digging in too deep. Sure, you can counter that he's always been an asshole, and that's totally fair. But trying to read this a few days after he put out that abomination of a song (I'm not gonna link to it, but you can find it easy enough) is all but impossible.

I'd argue it's pretty consistent with what really made him a full-blown asshole back in the '70s.

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/er ... 49024.html

Van Morrison is competing with Slow Hand for asshole of the year award amongst classic rock veterans.
JGJR

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Wed Sep 01, 2021 12:52 am

Punk USA. The Rise and Fall of Lookout! Records.

Reminding myself how many great albums I bought from this label. Damn shame how it went down.
xxxMidgexxx

Postby lewdd » Wed Sep 01, 2021 7:14 am

Send me that book today so i have something to read this weekend.

I'm reading Vive Le Rock issue #85.
lewdd

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Wed Sep 01, 2021 9:17 pm

lewdd wrote:Send me that book today so i have something to read this weekend.

But I just started it a few days ago.
xxxMidgexxx

Postby earthdog70 » Thu Sep 02, 2021 6:12 pm

Just finished Robyn Hitchcock's lyric book, now in the middle of the latest Razorcake :arrow:
earthdog70

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Wed Sep 08, 2021 2:10 pm

earthdog70 wrote:the latest Razorcake :arrow:

I think its *probably* my favorite zine right now. Loving that podcast called 'Thirsty Thursdays with the Dollar Boys'. They have a terrific show. I would love to join them on that if I lived closer.
xxxMidgexxx

Postby lewdd » Wed Sep 08, 2021 2:48 pm

xxxMidgexxx wrote:
earthdog70 wrote:the latest Razorcake :arrow:

I think its *probably* my favorite zine right now. Loving that podcast called 'Thirsty Thursdays with the Dollar Boys'. They have a terrific show. I would love to join them on that if I lived closer.

Vive Le Rock > Razorcake
lewdd

Postby lewdd » Wed Sep 08, 2021 2:50 pm

I'm reading

2 Tone - Before, During, and After

There is a chapter for every band that released a record on the 2 Tone label including Elvis Costello & the Attractions. Each chapter gives a history of the band, discussion on recording sessions and releases including BBC and Top of the Pops appearances, and a section on what each band member including guest musicians on releases has been up to after the band.

If you like this era at all, I highly recommend the book and I am only thru The Specials, The Selecter, and a portion of the Madness chapter.
lewdd

Postby earthdog70 » Tue Sep 28, 2021 6:53 pm

Walter Lure's To Hell and Back.

Great book, I would have liked some more insight on his studio sessions with The Ramones, but overall it was well written. I may check out some of his lesser known projects now :idea:
earthdog70

Postby matt » Wed Sep 29, 2021 7:51 am

Still reading nothing but comic books recently. Been too busy/tired to commit to more than that.
matt
Site Admin

Postby JGJR » Wed Sep 29, 2021 9:22 am

Currently reading Crying in H-Mart by Michelle Zauner (Japanese Breakfast). Phenomenal so far (I'm about 2/3 of the way through it).
JGJR

Postby Hal » Mon Oct 04, 2021 1:23 pm

Recent reads...

Scar Tissue - Anthony Keidis
I'm Not Holding Your Coat - Nancy Barile

Next Up...

Remain in Love - Chris Frantz
Hal

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Sat Nov 06, 2021 9:45 pm

Jane Goodall 'The Book of Hope'. Just started. Looks good.

xxxMidgexxx

Postby SamDBL » Sun Nov 07, 2021 12:25 am

matt wrote:Still reading nothing but comic books recently. Been too busy/tired to commit to more than that.

Same. For pretty much my whole life.
SamDBL

Postby drew » Sun Nov 07, 2021 11:34 am

gregpolard wrote:"End of Watch" which is the third book in a trilogy by Stephen King centered around retired detective Bill Hodges. I'm about halfway through

I read Mr. Mercedes and liked it but didn’t try out the second one. Maybe I’ll check it out...
drew

Postby drew » Sun Nov 07, 2021 11:36 am

About to start “Room Full Of Mirrors: Jimi Hendrix” by Charles Cross. Excited to get into this one, I’ve never read a Hendrix bio.
drew

Postby SamDBL » Sun Nov 07, 2021 12:07 pm

drew wrote:About to start “Room Full Of Mirrors: Jimi Hendrix” by Charles Cross. Excited to get into this one, I’ve never read a Hendrix bio.

Spoiler alert:

SamDBL

Postby FormerLurker » Sun Nov 07, 2021 12:30 pm

:lol:
FormerLurker

PreviousNext

Return to daghouse