Cambridge Audio Products

Cambridge Audio Products

Postby lewdd » Thu Sep 24, 2020 1:23 pm

Anyone here have any Cambridge Audio products?
lewdd

Re: Cambridge Audio Products

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Thu Sep 24, 2020 1:40 pm

It's a college. Not a tape deck.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cambridge
xxxMidgexxx

Postby patient_ot » Thu Sep 24, 2020 2:37 pm

I have had a Cambridge integrated amp for around 5 years. No problems, and it gets used every day, both for music, and for TV.

What CA product are you thinking of buying?
patient_ot

Postby lewdd » Thu Sep 24, 2020 3:29 pm

I bought the CXA61 and the Solo. Probably getting the CXN v2 before the end of the year.

It replaced an Onkyo A-9050. I had to turn the volume down on the subwoofer pretty considerably versus where it was at using the Onkyo.

I need to listen to a few more American punk bands on vinyl and probably a few more UK ones too, but my initial assessment is that the UK ones sound great as is regardless of a newer remaster or an original vinyl from the 80s. The American sound seems a bit light on the vocals thru the Cambridge, but I can adjust it with the Schiit Loki. Jazz, classic rock, blues, all sound great on the Cambridge w/o the need for the Loki. However, everything that I have streamed thru my Bluesound Node 2i sounds really good thru the Cambridge.

Curious if you have similar thoughts.
lewdd

Postby scannest » Thu Sep 24, 2020 4:09 pm

lewdd wrote:I need to listen to a few more American punk bands on vinyl and probably a few more UK ones too, but my initial assessment is that the UK ones sound great as is regardless of a newer remaster or an original vinyl from the 80s. The American sound seems a bit light on the vocals thru the Cambridge, but I can adjust it with the Schiit Loki. Jazz, classic rock, blues, all sound great on the Cambridge w/o the need for the Loki. However, everything that I have streamed thru my Bluesound Node 2i sounds really good thru the Cambridge.

I'm going to guess that no one has ever had similar thoughts to those expressed above.
"It's got some great chanting on it" - gregpolard.
scannest

Postby lewdd » Thu Sep 24, 2020 4:12 pm

scannest wrote:
lewdd wrote:I need to listen to a few more American punk bands on vinyl and probably a few more UK ones too, but my initial assessment is that the UK ones sound great as is regardless of a newer remaster or an original vinyl from the 80s. The American sound seems a bit light on the vocals thru the Cambridge, but I can adjust it with the Schiit Loki. Jazz, classic rock, blues, all sound great on the Cambridge w/o the need for the Loki. However, everything that I have streamed thru my Bluesound Node 2i sounds really good thru the Cambridge.

I'm going to guess that no one has ever had similar thoughts to those expressed above.

Is there a particular reason you say that other than I am a little bit different than others? Its OK if you say I am a little bit different than others. I won't be offended.
lewdd

Postby scannest » Thu Sep 24, 2020 4:38 pm

I doubt anyone has ever posited an aural distinction between UK and US punk recordings.
scannest

Postby lewdd » Thu Sep 24, 2020 5:36 pm

scannest wrote:I doubt anyone has ever posited an aural distinction between UK and US punk recordings.

You may be right.

I would really like for you to hop in a car with Midge and drive down here to listen to what I am listening to and confirm or deny. I will supply BBQ, alcoholic and non alcoholic beverages. I also have separate beds for each of you.

I did debunk my theory. However, it seems that only punk rock seems to be hit or miss. Non punk rock sounds great with the Cambridge amp.

I just switched out the Cambridge Solo phono pre-amp for the Parasound Zphono USB phono pre-amp. The Parasound sounds better but still need to use the Shiit Loki for punk rock. I need to try some non punk rock to see if it is the same thing.

Things were so much easier as a teenager when the only thing that mattered to my ears was how loud it was coming out of the speakers. I didn't care about clarity, soundstage, instrument separation, etc. Damn!
lewdd

Postby lewdd » Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:24 pm

This invitation is open to anyone else that wants to come visit me. This rookie audiophile gear implementation is probably more than i bargained for and the plethora of you that are musicians would be helpful for me to determine if what i have bought sounds to me what it may sound to you. Help!
lewdd

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:11 pm

lewdd wrote:This invitation is open to anyone else that wants to come visit me. This rookie audiophile gear implementation is probably more than i bargained for and the plethora of you that are musicians would be helpful for me to determine if what i have bought sounds to me what it may sound to you. Help!

Will there be any BBQ??
xxxMidgexxx

Postby lewdd » Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:32 pm

xxxMidgexxx wrote:
lewdd wrote:This invitation is open to anyone else that wants to come visit me. This rookie audiophile gear implementation is probably more than i bargained for and the plethora of you that are musicians would be helpful for me to determine if what i have bought sounds to me what it may sound to you. Help!

Will there be any BBQ??

Absolutely! And you could probably take a bus from NYC via Trans Bridge to the Allentown (Lehigh Valley) airport where I could pick you up.
lewdd

Postby scannest » Fri Sep 25, 2020 5:23 am

You had me up until "separate beds".
scannest

Postby lewdd » Fri Sep 25, 2020 5:47 am

scannest wrote:You had me up until "separate beds".

You are welcome to share the same bed if that makes you feel better.
lewdd

Postby patient_ot » Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:01 am

Lewwd,

That CA stuff is really engineered to be razor flat in frequency response, for the most part.

The differences you hear are likely due to the differences in the way those albums were mixed or recorded in the first place, plus your speakers and your room acoustics.

A lot of folks will blame this or that on something like an amp when the vast majority of the time it's speakers and room acoustics. This of course assumes the amp has enough power for the speakers, and many of today's speakers can be fairly inefficient.

I wouldn't bother with a sub for vinyl as there is little content on most vinyl below 40-50hz. Unless you have speakers that cut off very high it is completely unnecessary and can actually work against you. Not sure what frequency you are crossing over on or if the amp has any kind of bass filter once the sub is hooked up.

RE: the phono preamps one trick is varying amounts of gain between competing models and brands. I'm not saying one phono pre can't sound better than another but in your case the gain is a lot higher on the Parasound IIRC vs. the Cambridge. The CA should have something like 39-40dB of gain while the Parasound might have something like 46db. IMHO opinion 46 is too much for most MM cartridges but will temporarily make the music sound more punchy and exciting but can also reduce headroom and create more edginess and distortion which is not good. Been there, done that.
patient_ot

Postby lewdd » Fri Sep 25, 2020 5:52 pm

I would agree that the Parasound has more gain than the CA phono preamp. I do have to turn the volume up buy 0.5-1.0 more on the dial with the CA. I think I also agree on the mixing of the recording being the issue with the sound difference. I did find last night that on some recordings the Schiit Loki with the upper mid range turned up 1-1.5 notches does bring out the vocals to a level that I like them on the recordings that sound like they are mixed too low on the recording to my ears.

My room is about 14x14 and had carpet and has framed albums and posters on about every inch of the walls.

The CA does a good job of taking the edge off the brightness of the horn tweater on the Klipsch floorstanding speakers. The Klipsch are pretty efficient speakers so the amp works well with them IMO. I have the sub crossover frequency in that 40-50 range. At first I had it at about 80 and it was taking too much away from the midrange of the speakers. Once, I turned the crossover down, I got the snap and punch back from the snare in that mid range that I liked.

I have had the Loki for longer than the 15 day return period so I "own" it now. I think I will keep it hooked up and use it on those records that I think have the vox mixed too low and turn it to bypass on the majority of the other recordings.

Overall, I am very happy with the gear upgrades I have made in the last month or so.

Last night, I bought the CA Azur 851N streamer. I am looking forward to getting that early next week and seeing how that compares the Bluesound Node 2i.

Thanks for your thoughts. They helped to confirm most of what I was hearing yesterday during my listening sessions.
lewdd

Postby lewdd » Sat Sep 26, 2020 2:42 pm

Just got a return label to send the Azur back and replace with the CXN v2 audio streamer because the CXN has built in Google Chromecast and the more expensive item didn't.
lewdd

Postby version sound » Thu May 13, 2021 5:41 pm

So, I listened to the first Clash record today (US version), and I am really starting to hear how the CA amp my friend gave me is affecting the sound of my set-up. At first, I thought it sounded bad, but after a while I realized that what I was really hearing was the deficiencies of the original recordings. I’ve owned this record since 1982, and I’ve never really heard that before. After a few songs, I noticed that regardless of how rough and ready the original recording is, it also sounded more exciting than I’ve ever heard it. The guitars in particular really jumped out at me. So, the CA is definitely bringing something to the table that my old Technics didn’t.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby lewdd » Thu May 13, 2021 6:00 pm

Nice to hear. I will be interested to see what other records come to life for you with the new amp.
lewdd

Postby lewdd » Fri May 14, 2021 3:52 am

So, I was listening to some Marley last night on my stereo. I would describe the CA bass as punchy and not thumpy. Do you feel the same way?
lewdd

Postby patient_ot » Fri May 14, 2021 8:13 am

The problem with really old amps (e.g. ~40 years old) is they have loads of components inside, especially capacitors, that are likely out of spec. And getting an old amp fully rebuilt can exceed the FMV of the amp itself. So it wouldn't surprise me that a newer amp might sound better. Pretty much every old un-serviced receiver I've heard sounds like mud to me.
patient_ot

Postby version sound » Fri May 14, 2021 9:21 am

patient_ot wrote:The problem with really old amps (e.g. ~40 years old) is they have loads of components inside, especially capacitors, that are likely out of spec. And getting an old amp fully rebuilt can exceed the FMV of the amp itself. So it wouldn't surprise me that a newer amp might sound better. Pretty much every old un-serviced receiver I've heard sounds like mud to me.

The Technics wasn’t that old. Around 20 years, but I guess that’s probably long enough for specs to drift. I’m guessing that the CA has better transformers too (though I’m not technical enough to know how that impacts sound), given how much heavier it is.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby JGJR » Fri May 14, 2021 11:25 am

scannest wrote:I doubt anyone has ever posited an aural distinction between UK and US punk recordings.

I'd bet someone on the Hoffman board has, but more to the point, that post is one of many reasons I love lewdd and this board. I celebrate the rich tapestry of life and humanity. We're a bunch of eccentric middle-aged folks, are we not?
:lol:
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby JGJR » Fri May 14, 2021 11:28 am

scannest wrote:You had me up until "separate beds".

JGJR

Postby lewdd » Fri May 14, 2021 6:55 pm

JGJR wrote:

I'd bet someone on the Hoffman board has, but more to the point, that post is one of many reasons I love lewdd and this board. I celebrate the rich tapestry of life and humanity. We're a bunch of eccentric middle-aged folks, are we not?
:lol:

Speak for yourself. I'm in my early 20s
lewdd

Postby lewdd » Wed May 26, 2021 12:05 pm

I probably would have bought this if it was available a year ago when I started my equipment purchases.

https://hifitrends.com/2021/05/25/cambr ... -knockout/
lewdd

Postby patient_ot » Wed May 26, 2021 5:14 pm

lewdd wrote:I probably would have bought this if it was available a year ago when I started my equipment purchases.

https://hifitrends.com/2021/05/25/cambr ... -knockout/

I can't say I'm a fan of these types of products, though they are becoming more popular. I'd rather have a standalone DAC and a PC or a RPI based system. What you end up with these hybrid amps that have loads of features is quality being cut somewhere to put so many things into one package. Kinda like mini-systems and department store rack stereo from BITD. Long term reliability might be an issue and don't be surprised if some of the features become obsolete in a few years.

On another note, the CA integrated amp I've been running for 5-6 years started having problems the other day, though I can't reproduce the issue right now. I'm working with the company but this may be the last CA product I buy.
patient_ot

Postby lewdd » Wed May 26, 2021 5:42 pm

patient_ot wrote:On another note, the CA integrated amp I've been running for 5-6 years started having problems the other day, though I can't reproduce the issue right now. I'm working with the company but this may be the last CA product I buy.

That's unfortunate. I hope it can be resolved.
lewdd

Postby version sound » Wed May 26, 2021 5:43 pm

patient_ot wrote:On another note, the CA integrated amp I've been running for 5-6 years started having problems the other day, though I can't reproduce the issue right now. I'm working with the company but this may be the last CA product I buy.

Is it randomly dropping channels by any chance?
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby patient_ot » Thu May 27, 2021 7:56 am

version sound wrote:

Is it randomly dropping channels by any chance?

Not quite. More like sound completely vanishing in the middle of side without warning. I'm thinking it's an issue with the input selector PCB. Not an overheating issue as the amp never gets hot or shuts off due to protection kicking in or anything like that.

If you look at pictures of the inside of the amp (It's an Azur 351A), it looks like the whole input selector PCB can be replaced and connected with some computer style cables. Unfortunately my amp was discontinued, so I doubt CA still has parts around for it.

Like I said, they are trying to be helpful, but the amp is out of warranty and I'm not sure what they ultimately can do for me here.

This issue happened the other day on two records in a row. However, yesterday I played a few records in a row and the issue never came back.
patient_ot

Postby lewdd » Thu May 27, 2021 8:06 am

I have the CXA61 and enjoy its sound and features. If you were to replace your Azur with something other than a CA product, what would you be leaning towards?
lewdd

Postby version sound » Thu May 27, 2021 8:12 am

Not sure if it could be the same issue or a related issue, but I found this about the intermittent problem I’ve been having:

https://www.dinkum.nl/music_and_sound/cambridge_repair/

I ordered new relays, but haven’t gotten around to installing them yet.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby patient_ot » Thu May 27, 2021 9:47 am

lewdd wrote:I have the CXA61 and enjoy its sound and features. If you were to replace your Azur with something other than a CA product, what would you be leaning towards?

I'm not 100% sure yet. I had my eye on a Yamaha A series integrated as a possible top candidate. I hadn't really planned to buy a new amp this soon though, and due to C-19 supply chain issues the models in my price range are out of stock everywhere. It might be a little while before I can afford to buy a new amp anyway.
patient_ot

Postby patient_ot » Thu May 27, 2021 9:53 am

version sound wrote:Not sure if it could be the same issue or a related issue, but I found this about the intermittent problem I’ve been having:

https://www.dinkum.nl/music_and_sound/cambridge_repair/

I ordered new relays, but haven’t gotten around to installing them yet.

Hmm. Yeah I wonder if that could be the issue or something else entirely. At least that is a part that is readily available. I haven't soldered in over 20 years and have no space for a workbench so I'm not sure I would be up for doing the repair myself, if that indeed is the issue.

Question: when you have dropouts on your unit, is it on all the inputs or just one of them? What does the problem sound like?

My issue - there is no noise, clicking, crackle, or anything like that. The sound just vanishes. And this happened twice so far without warning but I have not been able to reproduce the issue a third time yet.

Looking over the service manual now. One thing I just remembered is that the S1 input on my amp shares the RCA jacks and the front aux cable input. When anything is plugged into the front aux input (which I never use), it automatically mutes the RCA jacks. Same deal with the front panel headphone jack (which I also rarely use). I wonder if some dust got stuck in the aux input or a tiny spider or something crawled in there. I do know that amps tend to attract small insects due to the heat.
patient_ot

Postby version sound » Thu May 27, 2021 1:27 pm

It tends to go out completely in one channel. Which channel seems pretty random. Sometimes if I click over to a different input, then back, it clears it up.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby patient_ot » Thu May 27, 2021 2:14 pm

version sound wrote:It tends to go out completely in one channel. Which channel seems pretty random. Sometimes if I click over to a different input, then back, it clears it up.

Hmm, yeah that sounds like it might be a different problem than I'm having. I'm guessing the speaker relay issue is what you have. Hopefully replacing those components clears it up for you.
patient_ot

Postby version sound » Thu Jul 08, 2021 7:13 pm

So, after doing a little research, I’m finding that both my amp and speakers can tend toward brightness, which might explain why certain records (Bad Brains, for example) sound a bit harsh. So, I guess I need to either get some warmer speakers or give up on the CA and get an amp that’s not as bright.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby patient_ot » Thu Jul 08, 2021 7:48 pm

version sound wrote:So, after doing a little research, I’m finding that both my amp and speakers can tend toward brightness, which might explain why certain records (Bad Brains, for example) sound a bit harsh. So, I guess I need to either get some warmer speakers or give up on the CA and get an amp that’s not as bright.

I don't know your exact amp, but a properly designed amp will be razor flat beyond the limits of human hearing. The idea that there are properly designed amps that are "bright" or "warm" is an audiophool myth. Some wacky boutique or off-brand stuff can be quite weird in terms of frequency response, but most decent solid state amps do not work like that.

More likely, the speakers may have a wacky FR. Many speakers do, and when they interact with room acoustics things can get really wonky. So if you can find some actual measurements of the speakers, that would be helpful. Depending on how old they are you might have to go through back issues of audio mags at American Radio History or something. I would look at that before spending a cent on anything.

Once you have that information, you could try to EQ the speakers, or decide if you want to replace them with something more linear. If your room has issues, you can look into room treatments. Some basic DIY room treatments should not be too expensive.

The reality is, some albums are recorded, mixed, and mastered to sound "bright". That is the way they are supposed to sound. You can play something like the original CD of Brothers In Arms on very accurate studio monitors or a decent home stereo, and it's going to sound bright.

At the other end of the spectrum, take an album like Onward to Golgotha. It sounds like sludgy mud, because it was recorded, mixed, and mastered that way on purpose.
patient_ot

Postby lewdd » Thu Jul 08, 2021 7:54 pm

version sound wrote:So, after doing a little research, I’m finding that both my amp and speakers can tend toward brightness, which might explain why certain records (Bad Brains, for example) sound a bit harsh. So, I guess I need to either get some warmer speakers or give up on the CA and get an amp that’s not as bright.

I've had the exact opposite experience. I bought new Klipsch floor standing speakers to run through the Onkyo integrated amp I had for 3-4 years. The speakers sounded very bright compared to the JBL's I had but were much more clearer with a wider soundstage. All the things I wanted, but some songs were super bright on cymbals. I replaced the Onkyo with a CA and the brightness disappeared.
lewdd

Postby patient_ot » Thu Jul 08, 2021 8:05 pm

lewdd wrote:
I've had the exact opposite experience. I bought new Klipsch floor standing speakers to run through the Onkyo integrated amp I had for 3-4 years. The speakers sounded very bright compared to the JBL's I had but were much more clearer with a wider soundstage. All the things I wanted, but some songs were super bright on cymbals. I replaced the Onkyo with a CA and the brightness disappeared.

People tend to get used to the sound of any component, especially speakers and headphones after a time. Let's just say that a lot of the Klipsch speakers with those copper colored woofers are not very linear.

The source can have a big impact also, especially if you use a turntable. Most of the common integrated amps and receivers have horrible phono sections with way too much capacitance for a lot of cartridges being made today. Plug a turntable into those built-in phono sections and there will be some excess brightness, usually around 10K. Modeling and measurements prove that also.
patient_ot

Postby lewdd » Thu Jul 08, 2021 8:20 pm

I only had the Klipsch hooked up to the Onkyo for about 30 days before I bought the CA. I run my turntable thru a CA pre-amp. I think I had a Parasound pre-amp before that. That has been repurposed.
lewdd

Postby scannest » Fri Jul 09, 2021 8:38 am

Can I bogart your hi-fi thread to ask if anyone has recommendations for serious, quality In Ear Monitors (IEMs)? I've had my Shure's for 5+ years and they still sound very good. But I've come to acknowledge that 90% of my listening is done on my phone while walking, commuting, etc. As such I want it to sound as good as it can. Hence the Dragonfly Cobalt DAC and the Qobuz subscription. Now I think I need to upgrade the headphones. Been considering a pair by Campfire Audio:
https://campfireaudio.com/

Any opinions on the subject? patient_ot, I am looking in your general direction.
scannest

Postby patient_ot » Fri Jul 09, 2021 9:06 am

lewdd wrote:I only had the Klipsch hooked up to the Onkyo for about 30 days before I bought the CA. I run my turntable thru a CA pre-amp. I think I had a Parasound pre-amp before that. That has been repurposed.

A standalone preamp is going to be much better than the phono preamps that are built into common receivers and amps, so you're ahead of the game there.
patient_ot

Postby patient_ot » Fri Jul 09, 2021 9:14 am

scannest wrote:Can I bogart your hi-fi thread to ask if anyone has recommendations for serious, quality In Ear Monitors (IEMs)? I've had my Shure's for 5+ years and they still sound very good. But I've come to acknowledge that 90% of my listening is done on my phone while walking, commuting, etc. As such I want it to sound as good as it can. Hence the Dragonfly Cobalt DAC and the Qobuz subscription. Now I think I need to upgrade the headphones. Been considering a pair by Campfire Audio:
https://campfireaudio.com/

Any opinions on the subject? patient_ot, I am looking in your general direction.

Not a big headphone guy, so I don't have a great recommendation for you. With any IEM type earphone, it's important to get a good seal in the ear canal. You may have to try out different types of headphone tips to figure out what works best. I also recommend EQ for any headphones to flatten out the response. Not sure what EQ options work best with Qobuz, but there must be something.

On mobile, I use the Neutron app for Android which now has EQ curves based on third party headphone measurements built-in.
patient_ot

Postby scannest » Fri Jul 09, 2021 9:38 am

patient_ot wrote:Not a big headphone guy, so I don't have a great recommendation for you. With any IEM type earphone, it's important to get a good seal in the ear canal. You may have to try out different types of headphone tips to figure out what works best. I also recommend EQ for any headphones to flatten out the response. Not sure what EQ options work best with Qobuz, but there must be something.

On mobile, I use the Neutron app for Android which now has EQ curves based on third party headphone measurements built-in.

Thanks. It took a while, but I found tips from a 3rd party company (Comply) that fit perfectly with my Shures. I should check and see if they make ones for Campfire.
I'll check out Neutron. I've never thought much about EQ. I just want a flat, "transparent" sound. Are you saying you use the EQ curves to compensate for what the streaming service and/or headphones are doing?
scannest

Postby lewdd » Fri Jul 09, 2021 9:51 am

As you may suspect, I bought three different Cambridge Audio in ear headphones.

Melomania Touch - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08KL ... UTF8&psc=1
These got a bad rap initially because of issues with their software and bluetooth connectivity that they resolved with firmware upgrades. I think the sound is really good. They have an app that allows you to equalize the sound and has 5 or so presets and about as many custom settings that you can name and save.

Melomania 1+ - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08XB ... UTF8&psc=1
These use the same app as the Touch, but didn't have the connectivity issues as they worked most or all of that out before releasing this upgrade to the Melomania which does not work with the app.

Both of them have different style in ear pieces. Battery life is some of the best in the industry for the actual headphones and the total including how many hours the case provides as a quick way to re-charge. They are also relatively low in price for the features. I like the CA sound which is why I bought them.

I read good things about Sennheiser and Sony in ear but I think both of them are 2x the CA price. CA does not have noise cancelling like some others and use for talking on the phone hands free via the mic on the headphones is not as good as some others too. Not sure if those are features you want or need.

If you drive down this weekend for some BBQ, I can let you sample both :)
lewdd

Postby scannest » Fri Jul 09, 2021 10:07 am

I'd gladly sample some BBQ, but I can't abide by no wireless headphones.
scannest

Postby JGJR » Fri Jul 09, 2021 12:37 pm

scannest wrote:I'd gladly sample some BBQ, but I can't abide by no wireless headphones.

This dude abides by these. I know we've discussed this earlier, but if you ever have a chance to try these out, I definitely recommend it.

https://gradolabs.com/headphones/wireless/item/74-gw100
JGJR

Postby scannest » Fri Jul 09, 2021 12:59 pm

I don't like wearing over the ear headphones outside of the house, especially during the summer. And there is no situation in which the convenience of wireless is going to supersede sound quality for me. Whatever advantages wireless headphone may have, they are never going to sound better than a good pair of wired headphones.
scannest

Postby lewdd » Fri Jul 09, 2021 1:22 pm

Sal, do they make the wired ones like molded ones musicians where on stage that you could plug into your phone? Was it Ultimate Ears or something like that who was a manufacturer at one point?
lewdd

Postby scannest » Fri Jul 09, 2021 1:32 pm

lewdd wrote:Sal, do they make the wired ones like molded ones musicians where on stage that you could plug into your phone? Was it Ultimate Ears or something like that who was a manufacturer at one point?

That is exactly what the phrase 'In Ear Monitor' is referencing - they can be worn by musicians on stage to monitor their sound (you just plug into some wireless receiver instead of your phone). You don't need to have them mold fitted to your ears, but that is always a possibility. I have custom molded ear plugs (made by a company called Westone), but not for use as headphones. UE does make custom molded IEMs.
scannest

Next

Return to daghouse