Yes L.A.

Yes L.A.

Postby Welly » Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:35 pm

Weird, was playing this the other day and wondered why it'd never been reissued. Probably MXV's idea...

http://frontierrecords.com/31079.html

Welly

Re: Yes L.A.

Postby pedro » Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:43 pm

Now you can get your own copy of this fabled LA punk classic and put the gougers out of business!

Available on vinyl only for $25 including shipping in the US.

Granted, I'm old and cranky, but c'mon.
Hello.
pedro

Postby Chris Shary » Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:47 pm

Just got mine. Lovely!
Chris Shary

Postby version sound » Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:32 pm

Come on pedro, it's only $12.50 per good track.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby JGJR » Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:01 pm

version sound wrote:Come on pedro, it's only $12.50 per good track.

Not a fan of the late '70s LA punk scene? Anyway, $25 is expensive, but it's way less than the original normally goes for. I want one!
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby version sound » Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:56 pm

JGJR wrote:

Not a fan of the late '70s LA punk scene? Anyway, $25 is expensive, but it's way less than the original normally goes for. I want one!

I'm a big fan of GOOD late '70s LA punk. Most of the stuff on that comp is pretty forgettable.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby gregpolard » Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:35 pm

Is "Owner of a Lonely Heart" on this record?
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby version sound » Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:23 pm

gregpolard wrote:Is "Owner of a Lonely Heart" on this record?

Funny you should make a Yes joke. The intro to "No God" was actually copped from a Yes song.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby Welly » Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:21 am

There's no pleasing some people.
Welly

Postby MXV » Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:01 am

I may have been slightly influential on that one. Sure it is pricey but a fraction of what an original will set you back and they were all hand-screened which took the people doing it forever, it was a lot of labor. This took forever to get done, I was sent a test pressing of it over a year ago!

Also coming out very very soon through Munster/Frontier is a Dangerhouse Records 7" box set. It will have every 7" Dangerhouse released. I helped out with this one and it looks awesome based on the photo I was sent. My copies haven't arrived yet.
The Punk Vault: http://www.punkvinyl.com
MXV

Postby version sound » Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:17 pm

It's a cool objet d'art, but I'm too poor to spend $25 on that basis.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby Chris Shary » Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:23 pm

Oh a Dangerhouse box set of 7" singles will certainly drain me of some hard earned money. That is exciting news!!
Chris Shary

Postby pedro » Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:56 am

The price doesn't bother me so much as the "put the gougers out of business!" line. As if charging $25 for six songs is doing the purchaser a favor. The original will still go for mucho dinero.

Anyway, I have all the songs on that record except "Don't Need English" by the Bags. If some one would send me that song, or point out where I can down load it, I could burn them all to my own one-sided CD, scribble all over the front, stick in a sandwich bag and be done with it.

Thanks in advance.
Hello.
pedro

Postby MXV » Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:16 am

pedro wrote:The price doesn't bother me so much as the "put the gougers out of business!" line. As if charging $25 for six songs is doing the purchaser a favor. The original will still go for mucho dinero.

Anyway, I have all the songs on that record except "Don't Need English" by the Bags. If some one would send me that song, or point out where I can down load it, I could burn them all to my own one-sided CD, scribble all over the front, stick in a sandwich bag and be done with it.

Thanks in advance.

That wasn't the intended meaning. I was saying until now if you wanted that Yes LA record the only way to get one is to pay a lot of money on ebay or to some collector for an original copy as that was all that was out there. Now if you want a copy of Yes LA on vinyl you have a cheaper option to own a vinyl copy of that album by buying the reissue. Yeah 25 is pricey for what is essentially an EP but considering the handmade nature of the record it isn't outrageous especially when you take into consideration what other labels charge for records, the biggest offender being Amrep who now consistently release limited edition 7"s and 10"s and charge between 20 and 100 dollars each for them brand new.
MXV

Postby tango fistula » Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:39 am

Got the original and I almost never play it...even tho its mostly good.

I wish the Black Randy song was "I wanna be a nark" or "Sperm bank baby" cuz that
would've made it an all good to great comp..."Laundromat", despite it's great lyrics...
is an ass dragger and sucks the life out of the record.

I think I keep it around cuz it's really a nice object d'art.
tango fistula

Postby James » Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:58 am

MXV wrote:I may have been slightly influential on that one. Sure it is pricey but a fraction of what an original will set you back and they were all hand-screened which took the people doing it forever, it was a lot of labor. This took forever to get done, I was sent a test pressing of it over a year ago!

Also coming out very very soon through Munster/Frontier is a Dangerhouse Records 7" box set. It will have every 7" Dangerhouse released. I helped out with this one and it looks awesome based on the photo I was sent. My copies haven't arrived yet.

Do you know if they will be also selling those singles separately as well or just as a box set?
Formerly known as Jimmy Heartburn
James

Postby Welly » Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:03 pm

MXV wrote:That wasn't the intended meaning. I was saying until now if you wanted that Yes LA record the only way to get one is to pay a lot of money on ebay or to some collector for an original copy as that was all that was out there.

Well I got one on eBay and didn't pay a fortune. In fact it was probably about what it would cost me to order this new one.
Welly

Postby MXV » Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:26 pm

James wrote:
MXV wrote:I may have been slightly influential on that one. Sure it is pricey but a fraction of what an original will set you back and they were all hand-screened which took the people doing it forever, it was a lot of labor. This took forever to get done, I was sent a test pressing of it over a year ago!

Do you know if they will be also selling those singles separately as well or just as a box set?

Box set only.
MXV

Postby JGJR » Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:27 pm

gregpolard wrote:Is "Owner of a Lonely Heart" on this record?

That would be Yes U.K mark whatever version was on the 90125 album. :lol:
JGJR

Postby JGJR » Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:31 pm

version sound wrote:
JGJR wrote:

I'm a big fan of GOOD late '70s LA punk. Most of the stuff on that comp is pretty forgettable.

I actually had "Disneyland" stuck in my head the other day, maybe as a result of this thread? I think The Bags, The Alleycats and even The Eyes are all underrated bands who all had some really great songs, though of course my favorite song on there is "Los Angeles."
JGJR

Postby version sound » Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:25 pm

Maybe. It could just be that the rest of those bands pale in comparison to the Germs and X, who happen to be ten times better than most bands.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby Bill » Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:31 pm

"only"
Bill

Postby tango fistula » Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:41 pm

Alleycats were excellent...their track on the "Sharp Cuts" comp is a monster.
Too bad they released their debut wayyyy too late(1981) on a major (MCA)
and had it turn out utterly watered down and dull.

Eyes were also excellent..and that archive release on Artifix is all killer...
as is the BAGS release on the same label.

California punk of that time period (1977-1980) was remarkable in that
there was NO interest from big management and big labels with their big studios..
unlike the U.K. and NYC. Aside from the Dickies almost all the other bands relied
on small DIY labels with scant distro.
tango fistula

Postby JGJR » Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:28 pm

version sound wrote:Maybe. It could just be that the rest of those bands pale in comparison to the Germs and X, who happen to be ten times better than most bands.

I can't disagree there. Sometimes I think X is the best band ever. They're also on my list of all-time favorites in any case. I love The Germs, too, but their greatness is contained (mainly) to What We Do is Secret and especially GI.
JGJR

Return to daghouse