Hard Bop Jazz (formerly Jazz Musician Greatest Hits)

Hard Bop Jazz (formerly Jazz Musician Greatest Hits)

Postby lewdd » Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:39 pm

I have the following jazz musician greatest hits on vinyl. Who else do you recommend?

Miles Davis
John Coltrane
Charlie Parker
Thelonious Monk
Last edited by lewdd on Tue Mar 09, 2021 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lewdd

Re: Jazz Musician Greatest Hits

Postby Welly » Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:51 pm

Last edited by Welly on Tue Aug 18, 2020 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Welly

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:55 pm

Welly wrote:Fuck all.

Stop being a dick.
xxxMidgexxx

Postby Welly » Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:23 pm

Last edited by Welly on Tue Aug 18, 2020 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Welly

Postby scannest » Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:04 am

I don't think greatest hits records do any of those artists any justice. Maybe it works for earlier jazz (people like Louie Armstrong, Duke Ellington or Louis Jordin), but not those guys. Especially Miles, who covers do much ground over his career.
"It's got some great chanting on it" - gregpolard.
scannest

Postby version sound » Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:29 am

As Scanny said, all of these artists deserve more than a cursory listen, but if that’s all you want, it’s still worth it.

Rahsaan Roland Kirk
Alice Coltrane
Pharaoh Sanders
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby target » Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:55 am

Some album suggestions.....(hard to do for a genre that's been around for a century)

Duke Ellington, Latin American Suite

Archie Shepp, Fire Music

Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers, A Night in Tunisia

Lee Morgan, Sidewinder

Sun Ra, Languidity

Henry Threadgill, Spirit of Nuff Nuff

Miles Davis, In a Silent Way

Roy Haynes, Equipoise

Donald Byrd, Black Byrd
target

Postby lewdd » Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:56 am

Yeah, I just want the highlights. At this point, I have no interest in taking a deeper dive into the genre. I am just dabbling in something new as I like the soundstage and the instrument separation as I think it helps me dial in my stereo system (may be making that up in my head). I do have Miles' "Kind of Blue" on vinyl and Coltrane's "Coltrane Plays the Blues" on vinyl. I have an anniversary reissue of Coltrane's "Giant Steps" on pre-order.

I was a bit disappointed in the Charlie Parker record as most of the music was center focused with a narrow soundstage. There was clarity in the instruments, but I've come to enjoy the wider soundstage and what sounds like a separation of the instruments as if you are in the room where they are playing.

I listened to FLAC versions of Bitches Brew last night quickly and I am not sure I can get my head around that stuff yet although it probably sounds great on vinyl.
lewdd

Postby lewdd » Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:58 am

I've collated a collection of several hundred jazz songs in FLAC format from about a half dozen best jazz song lists that I found on the internet. I suppose I should give a quick listen through them to see if there are any particular musicians that stand out to my ears. It's only been since this pandemic that I have even attempted to listen to any jazz music.
lewdd

Postby scannest » Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:14 am

I love funky, fusion Miles but I think Bitches Brew is wildly overrated. It sounds like dudes warming up in the studio while tape was rolling (and I kinda think that's what it is).
If you're interested in what he was doing in the late '60s, early '70s you'd be much better off with On the Corner or the Jack Johnson soundtrack.
scannest

Postby version sound » Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:27 am

lewdd wrote:Yeah, I just want the highlights. At this point, I have no interest in taking a deeper dive into the genre. I am just dabbling in something new as I like the soundstage and the instrument separation as I think it helps me dial in my stereo system (may be making that up in my head). I do have Miles' "Kind of Blue" on vinyl and Coltrane's "Coltrane Plays the Blues" on vinyl. I have an anniversary reissue of Coltrane's "Giant Steps" on pre-order.

I was a bit disappointed in the Charlie Parker record as most of the music was center focused with a narrow soundstage. There was clarity in the instruments, but I've come to enjoy the wider soundstage and what sounds like a separation of the instruments as if you are in the room where they are playing.

Charlie Parker died in 1955. I would expect most of his recordings to be in mono.

I agree with Sal about On The Corner. That record was ahead of its time by a couple of decades. IMO, Coltrane didn’t really come into his own until the Impulse period. The Atlantic stuff is kind of traditional in comparison. At the very least, I would recommend that you pick up a copy of A Love Supreme.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby drew » Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:51 am

lewdd wrote:I have the following jazz musician greatest hits on vinyl. Who else do you recommend?

Miles Davis
John Coltrane
Charlie Parker
Thelonious Monk

You’re taking some of the most prolific(Monk not as much) musicians ever and boiling them down to a hits comp? There are Worlds of music here. Literally dozens of great albums. I love discovering new stuff by these cats all the time.
drew

Postby lewdd » Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:18 am

drew wrote:
lewdd wrote:I have the following jazz musician greatest hits on vinyl. Who else do you recommend?

Miles Davis
John Coltrane
Charlie Parker
Thelonious Monk

You’re taking some of the most prolific(Monk not as much) musicians ever and boiling them down to a hits comp? There are Worlds of music here. Literally dozens of great albums. I love discovering new stuff by these cats all the time.

I'm three months into giving this genre a listen for the first time. I don't listen to music as much as I would prefer so this genre only gets a fraction of those listens. Why does everyone want to attempt to tell me something different than what I asked for? :lol: Just tell me some other artists whose greatest hits I should buy from the genre. That's all I want right now.
lewdd

Postby target » Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:02 am

What do you mean by "soundstage?"

i wish you luck in all your listening! I hope you try some of the albums I and others suggested. Not sure about a "greatest hits" approach.
But I hope you make some good discoveries.
target

Postby FlexMyHead » Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:08 am

If you are looking for just the hits...

01. Norah Jones - Don't Know Why
02. Eliane Elias - Chega De Saudade
03. Willie Nelson & Wynton Marsalis - Stardust
04. Dianne Reeves - Lovin' You
05. Naoko Terai - Aurora Ni Koi Shite (Main Theme)
06. Nat King Cole - Mona Lisa
07. Stacey Kent - What A Wonderful World
08. Takashi Matsunaga - Open Mind (Sax Version)
09. Quasimode - Mode Of Blue
10. High Five - Five For Fun
11. Freddie Hubbard, K.C.B. (US3), Junko Onishi - Alligator Boogie
12. Bud Powell - Cleopatra's Dream
13. Thelonious Monk - 'Round Midnight
14. Chet Baker - My Funny Valentine
15. Robert Glasper - Maiden Voyage/Everything In Its Right Place
FlexMyHead

Postby lewdd » Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:56 am

target wrote:What do you mean by "soundstage?"

The separation of the instruments from left to right across the speakers as if you are watching the band on the stage in front of you.

The Miles Davis album has very clear separation with drums and bass on the right side, piano and sax on the left, and Miles in the middle. If you close your eyes while listening, you can envision being in a small jazz club with the band playing in front of you and hearing the instruments from the space on the stage they are coming from.

On the Charlie Parker record, everything sounds like it is coming from a center channel. At times, the sax is mixed higher and the other instruments sound about 50 yards behind it. Other times, the drums are mixed higher and other instruments sound about 50 yards behind it. In both instances, the sound is coming from the direct center.
lewdd

Postby lewdd » Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:56 am

FlexMyHead wrote:If you are looking for just the hits...

01. Norah Jones - Don't Know Why
02. Eliane Elias - Chega De Saudade
03. Willie Nelson & Wynton Marsalis - Stardust
04. Dianne Reeves - Lovin' You
05. Naoko Terai - Aurora Ni Koi Shite (Main Theme)
06. Nat King Cole - Mona Lisa
07. Stacey Kent - What A Wonderful World
08. Takashi Matsunaga - Open Mind (Sax Version)
09. Quasimode - Mode Of Blue
10. High Five - Five For Fun
11. Freddie Hubbard, K.C.B. (US3), Junko Onishi - Alligator Boogie
12. Bud Powell - Cleopatra's Dream
13. Thelonious Monk - 'Round Midnight
14. Chet Baker - My Funny Valentine
15. Robert Glasper - Maiden Voyage/Everything In Its Right Place

Stay in your lane. :D
lewdd

Postby drew » Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:07 pm

lewdd wrote:
drew wrote:

Miles Davis
John Coltrane
Charlie Parker
Thelonious Monk

I'm three months into giving this genre a listen for the first time. I don't listen to music as much as I would prefer so this genre only gets a fraction of those listens. Why does everyone want to attempt to tell me something different than what I asked for? :lol: Just tell me some other artists whose greatest hits I should buy from the genre. That's all I want right now.

Sorry for messin’ with your chi, Lewdd. :lol: My point is the particular artists who are mega-giants at their craft changed a lot over the years and albums had a sound and style and sometimes reinvented the genre. I can’t think in terms of “songs” and “hits”. If you want to know some records I think are awesome, just ask.
drew

Postby lewdd » Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:23 pm

I hear what you are saying. I have been doing a bit of reading about the genre and artists and watched a bit of the Ken Burns documentary, a Miles Davis doc, and a Coltrane doc.

Maybe I should refrain the question to get the answer that I want.

If you were on a cruise that only had live Jazz performances of any jazz musician that ever lived, which 3-5 jazz musicians would you have playing on that cruise assuming you could bring back to life those that may have passed and you could have them play songs from any era of their back catalog that you desired.
lewdd

Postby drew » Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:48 pm

lewdd wrote:I hear what you are saying. I have been doing a bit of reading about the genre and artists and watched a bit of the Ken Burns documentary, a Miles Davis doc, and a Coltrane doc.

Maybe I should refrain the question to get the answer that I want.

If you were on a cruise that only had live Jazz performances of any jazz musician that ever lived, which 3-5 jazz musicians would you have playing on that cruise assuming you could bring back to life those that may have passed and you could have them play songs from any era of their back catalog that you desired.

Ornette Coleman- Any album from 1958-68 doesn't matter
John Coltrane- A Love Supreme
Eric Dolphy- Out To Lunch
Miles Davis - Sketches of Spain or Miles In The Sky
Albert Ayler- '64-'65
drew

Postby Mark T. » Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:23 pm

Pick up Stanley Jordan's - Magic Touch. It's a Greatest Hits album in so many ways.

Projeckt Daghouse:
PDIV - Thousand Days - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVX7w2iNIfw
Mark T.

Postby lewdd » Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:12 pm

I have a Louis Armstrong 3 album set in my wish list and was contemplating a 2LP of Sinatra's hits. May be done buying jazz vinyl for a while now.
lewdd

Postby JGJR » Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:18 am

scannest wrote:I don't think greatest hits records do any of those artists any justice. Maybe it works for earlier jazz (people like Louie Armstrong, Duke Ellington or Louis Jordin), but not those guys. Especially Miles, who covers do much ground over his career.

THIS. Buy the following albums:

Coltrane - My Favorite Things, Blue Train, A Love Supreme
Miles - Kind of Blue (the perennial popular favorite), On the Corner (fusion masterpiece)
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby JGJR » Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:21 am

version sound wrote:As Scanny said, all of these artists deserve more than a cursory listen, but if that’s all you want, it’s still worth it.

Alice Coltrane
Pharaoh Sanders

I almost picked up an original 1971 Impulse copy of Journey to Satchidananda for $25 a few days ago from a store near here; still might snag it; it's just not in great shape according to the description. That album, A Monastic Trio (also Alice) and Pharoah's Karma are all must-hears.
JGJR

Postby JGJR » Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:21 am

scannest wrote:I love funky, fusion Miles but I think Bitches Brew is wildly overrated. It sounds like dudes warming up in the studio while tape was rolling (and I kinda think that's what it is).
If you're interested in what he was doing in the late '60s, early '70s you'd be much better off with On the Corner or the Jack Johnson soundtrack.

Couldn't agree more; don't mind BB but On the Corner is my favorite Miles overall; also Get up with It!
JGJR

Postby JGJR » Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:24 am

target wrote:
Donald Byrd, Black Byrd

Try Street Lady and Spaces and Places as well. They're later and both contain production by the Mizell Brothers and are more soul/funk/jazz hybrids.
JGJR

Postby JGJR » Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:30 am

version sound wrote:
I agree with Sal about On The Corner. That record was ahead of its time by a couple of decades. IMO, Coltrane didn’t really come into his own until the Impulse period. The Atlantic stuff is kind of traditional in comparison. At the very least, I would recommend that you pick up a copy of A Love Supreme.

I'm really happy that others on here agree with me about On the Corner. When I first heard it in the mid '00s, I thought it sounded like the then-contemporary Congotronics music coming out of Kinshasha by Konono No1 and others.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Congotronics

I see why you say that re: Trane, but I love the Blue Note and Atlantic periods, too. Depends what I'm in the mood for...
JGJR

Postby lewdd » Sun Aug 23, 2020 4:56 pm

I have the following on pre-order

Coltrane - Giant Steps 60th Anniversary
Coltrane - Ballads
Coltrane - A Love Supreme
lewdd

Postby lewdd » Sun Aug 23, 2020 4:57 pm

Any thoughts on Max Roach, Brubeck, Mingus, or Jaco?
lewdd

Postby target » Sun Aug 23, 2020 7:20 pm

Percussion Bittersweet by Max Roach is a great album

I’d go with Blues and Roots or Ah Um by Mingus

I’d also put in in another plug for Art Blakey and suggest Oliver Nelson, Roy Haynes and anything with Tony Williams drumming

I hope your having fun with the exploration!
target

Postby lewdd » Sun Aug 23, 2020 7:32 pm

I will add those to my list to check out. New speakers arriving on Tuesday which are primarily the fault of my introduction to jazz on vinyl. Curious to see how much better some of this stuff sounds and if my punk rock collection sounds any different on them too.
lewdd

Postby patient_ot » Mon Aug 24, 2020 8:29 am

Jazz is not a "greatest hits" genre. I'll refrain from making too many recommendations because there are so many "best of" lists out there and people have different approaches to getting into jazz.

For example, when I first started getting into jazz, what really grabbed me were things like Sun Ra, late-period free jazz era Coltrane, John Zorn, Eric Dolphy, etc.

I didn't really appreciate the more traditional "melodic" jazz, 50s/60s hardbop, standards, etc. until much later.

What helped me with jazz was figuring out what albums I liked, then looking to see what musicians played on those albums, then seeking out their bandleader stuff, or other albums they played on. I still use this approach when browsing the jazz used bins.
patient_ot

Postby patient_ot » Mon Aug 24, 2020 8:36 am

lewdd wrote:Any thoughts on Max Roach, Brubeck, Mingus, or Jaco?

Max Roach played on so many albums it's hard to say what would easily represent his work. If you want to hear an early peak, check out his albums on the Emarcy label with Clifford Brown. That band was fairly short lived but made 4 amazing albums. Mosaic did an amazing 4xLP boxset that's some of the best sounding jazz I've ever heard. It's sold out now, and probably goes for high prices but you can get the same albums on Emarcy/Mercury 2-fer 2xLPs from the 70s for next to nothing.

RE: Brubeck, Time Out and Time Further Out are both classics, but he had a lot of stuff too. I've never been as deep into him as some other folks.

RE: Mingus, a giant really, depends what you like. People will argue things like whether his Atlantic period or Candid period was really a better representation of his works. My favorite album by him is Black Saint, after that, Town Hall Concert 1964.

RE: Jaco, he was hugely talented but a lot of his music is not my thing. He got famous in Weather Report but that band arguably peaked before he joined, they just went more mainstream later. I do like his bass work on Joni Mitchell's Hejira album very much.

RE: jazz in general, avoid those horrible shitbag Euro public domain pressings that clog up record store bins these days if you are buying vinyl. These are basically CD rips and/or poorly done needledrops pressed to vinyl. The labels that perpetrate this crap have no access to masters whatsoever and no royalties are being paid.
patient_ot

Postby patient_ot » Mon Aug 24, 2020 8:42 am

lewdd wrote:I was a bit disappointed in the Charlie Parker record as most of the music was center focused with a narrow soundstage.

Not sure what recordings by Parker you were listening to, but a lot of his stuff was mixed in mono originally. A LOT of jazz before the late 50s was recorded on two-track or three-track and mixed to mono. There isn't a huge amount of separation because all the instruments are in the same channel. To hear mono records the best way you really either need a mono cartridge or a mono switch on your amp or preamp. If you don't have either of those things there is a workaround you can do with a double Y cable or buy or build a little outboard mono switch box.
patient_ot

Postby lewdd » Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:10 am

I started my jazz journey after watching a Miles Davis documentary on PBS. So, I started with what many have claimed to be the best jazz album of all time by Miles Davis, Kind of Blue. Having seen John Coltrane playing in the documentary on Miles, I then watched a Coltrane documentary. I bought Coltrane Plays the Blues. Then, I started watching the Burns documentary on Jazz which introduced me to Charlie Parker who influenced Miles and Coltrane. That is about where I am at right now regarding artists who I have purchased on vinyl.

I then found a site that lists their top ranked jazz musicians by instrument. I am starting to work through some of that list to determine who I may or may not like.

Along the way, I have downloaded a shit ton of jazz in FLAC via some greatest jazz songs and greatest jazz albums lists. As I work my way through that stuff, I am sure I will buy some more vinyl after determining who I like.

That's my jazz story. Thanks for offering up ideas. It was sorta like an alien landing on Earth in America and asking what jazz music I should listen to. I had no idea before I watched the Miles Davis doc. Thanks, COVID-19.
lewdd

Postby patient_ot » Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:35 am

lewdd wrote:I started my jazz journey after watching a Miles Davis documentary on PBS. So, I started with what many have claimed to be the best jazz album of all time by Miles Davis, Kind of Blue. Having seen John Coltrane playing in the documentary on Miles, I then watched a Coltrane documentary. I bought Coltrane Plays the Blues. Then, I started watching the Burns documentary on Jazz which introduced me to Charlie Parker who influenced Miles and Coltrane. That is about where I am at right now regarding artists who I have purchased on vinyl.

I then found a site that lists their top ranked jazz musicians by instrument. I am starting to work through some of that list to determine who I may or may not like.

Along the way, I have downloaded a shit ton of jazz in FLAC via some greatest jazz songs and greatest jazz albums lists. As I work my way through that stuff, I am sure I will buy some more vinyl after determining who I like.

That's my jazz story. Thanks for offering up ideas. It was sorta like an alien landing on Earth in America and asking what jazz music I should listen to. I had no idea before I watched the Miles Davis doc. Thanks, COVID-19.

I realize you are just exploring the genre so this may or may not be relevant to your aims right now, but there is a flourishing contemporary jazz scene in the UK and in the U.S., among other places. While I do love listening to old stuff, it's important to not overlook great music being made right now. Just this past weekend there were two online jazz festivals (these were supposed to be live, then C-19 hit). Labels like Brownswood, Gearbox, and International Anthem are putting out some great contemporary stuff. Even Blue Note has started to promote newer artists again.
patient_ot

Postby Dinko » Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:45 am

xxxMidgexxx wrote:
Welly wrote:Fuck all.

Stop being a dick.

Well done. Would it have killed you to say please? Btw, what's the greatest butter? I don't eat much butter, but I got myself a new butter knife.
The law of average says you will survive.
Dinko

Postby JGJR » Mon Aug 24, 2020 3:31 pm

patient_ot wrote:
lewdd wrote:I started my jazz journey after watching a Miles Davis documentary on PBS. So, I started with what many have claimed to be the best jazz album of all time by Miles Davis, Kind of Blue. Having seen John Coltrane playing in the documentary on Miles, I then watched a Coltrane documentary. I bought Coltrane Plays the Blues. Then, I started watching the Burns documentary on Jazz which introduced me to Charlie Parker who influenced Miles and Coltrane. That is about where I am at right now regarding artists who I have purchased on vinyl.

I realize you are just exploring the genre so this may or may not be relevant to your aims right now, but there is a flourishing contemporary jazz scene in the UK and in the U.S., among other places. While I do love listening to old stuff, it's important to not overlook great music being made right now. Just this past weekend there were two online jazz festivals (these were supposed to be live, then C-19 hit). Labels like Brownswood, Gearbox, and International Anthem are putting out some great contemporary stuff. Even Blue Note has started to promote newer artists again.

I don't know if these folks quite count as "jazz" since there is a massive Afrobeat influence as well, but they are one of my favorite newer bands on the planet now.

JGJR

Postby lewdd » Sun Nov 01, 2020 6:27 pm

I have determined that most of what I like so far is from the hard bop era probably because there seems to be a bit of blues in it
lewdd

Postby target » Tue Nov 03, 2020 1:08 pm

Lewd— can I also suggest Dave Holland? Try Transit or conference of the birds

And if it’s blues your looking for ( in jazz) you can’t go wrong with Jimmy Smith!
target

Postby lewdd » Tue Nov 03, 2020 1:31 pm

Thanks for the suggestions, target. I will check them out.

I have the following albums on order.

Lee Morgan - The Sidewinder (the title track might be my favorite jazz song and certainly in top 3-5 so far)
McCoy Tyner - The Real McCoy
Cannonball Adderley - Somethin Else
Kenny Burrell - Midnight Blue
Miles Davis - Round About Midnight

Over the last few months, I bought these records
John Coltrane - Giant Steps
Art Blakey - Moanin
Charles Mingus - Mingus Ah Um
Max Roach - It's Time
Wes Montgomery - The Incredible Jazz Guitar
Louis Armstrong - The Platinum Collection
John Coltrane - A Love Supreme
John Coltrane - Ballads
John Coltrane - Blue Train
Duke Ellington, Charlie Mingus, and Max Roach - Money Jungle

I will be diving into this list next to see what I may like.
https://digitaldreamdoor.com/pages/best ... rdbop.html
lewdd

Postby target » Tue Nov 03, 2020 1:48 pm

Lewd— I can’t believe i haven’t mentioned it ( I don’t think) but song for my father by Horace Silver is probably in my top 10 albums of all time. Strongly recommend.
target

Postby scannest » Tue Nov 03, 2020 2:01 pm

ASCENSION is my favorite Coltrane, but your mileage may vary.
scannest

Postby lewdd » Thu Nov 05, 2020 6:32 pm

scannest wrote:ASCENSION is my favorite Coltrane, but your mileage may vary.

I tried, but can't get there yet. It may be the next leap after I am thru the hard bop era.
lewdd

Postby lewdd » Thu Nov 05, 2020 6:33 pm

More ordered

Hank Mobley - Soul Station
Horace Silver - Song for My Father
Clifford Brown - A Study in Brown
Bobby Hutcherson - The Kicker
lewdd

Postby scannest » Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:38 am

lewdd wrote:I tried, but can't get there yet. It may be the next leap after I am thru the hard bop era.

I have to be in the right frame of mind, but when I am it's a real 'blow open the doors of perception' kinda thing. And I ain't even talking about being high.
scannest

Postby Knutsen » Sat Nov 07, 2020 4:27 am

I have like 50 Blue Note Records CD. I prefer the small bands sound roughly from 1960-1970 before Fusion really kicked off.
Those BN reissue CDs were always on sale for like 7€ here.

Favorites:
McCoy Tyner - The real McCoy
Maynard Ferguson - Live in Paris 1955
Oscar Peterson - The way I play Vol.2
Chet Baker - some original vinyl from 1955.
Listening to Punk today is like listening to Glenn Miller in 1982.
Knutsen

Postby patient_ot » Mon Nov 09, 2020 12:13 pm

lewdd wrote:
scannest wrote:ASCENSION is my favorite Coltrane, but your mileage may vary.

I tried, but can't get there yet. It may be the next leap after I am thru the hard bop era.

For the Impulse era, I'd recommend ALS or maybe Meditations as a better starting point if you have trouble with the less accessible stuff. Ballads is great too.

Ascension is pretty wild but great. Interstellar Space is even more extreme, definitely not for Coltrane neophytes.

If someone tells me they like Blue Train and some of the Atlantic stuff, I usually tell them to check out the Prestige recordings by Coltrane, which are often (unfortunately) ignored. Soultrane, Stardust, and Lush Life are all great. Watch out for garbage public domain pressings of these on DOL/Jazzwax/Waxtime whatever. Stay away from those.
patient_ot

Postby lewdd » Sun Nov 15, 2020 10:00 am

Two hours of my favorite jazz songs as of now. Mostly up tempo songs with a fair amount of solos in each song from different instruments and the instruments sound really separated in the mix for most of these.

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/0A5J0 ... dq-9u5P-0w
lewdd

Postby lewdd » Wed Dec 09, 2020 7:34 pm

I'm about to buy a few more Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers albums on Blue Note. I like their sound.
lewdd

Next

Return to daghouse