Shades Apart "Eternal Echo" first album in 19 years!

Shades Apart "Eternal Echo" first album in 19 years!

Postby gregpolard » Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:28 am

Interested to hear this. I never heard anything past "Seeing Things" (which might be my favorite of theirs). Out next month!

https://www.instagram.com/p/CClbzbSJjZz ... zteo26hzvq
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Re: Shades Apart "Eternal Echo" first album in 19 years!

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:35 am

'Neon' was my favorite
xxxMidgexxx

Postby lewdd » Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:08 am

LMK when it becomes available. I am hoping it sounds like their first release from 1988. Some great punk rock on that record.
lewdd

Postby gregpolard » Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:27 am

lewdd wrote:LMK when it becomes available. I am hoping it sounds like their first release from 1988. Some great punk rock on that record.

I have a feeling it will sound more like the mid 90's era Rev stuff, which I'm also fine with.

I think a new song premiers next week. I'll post here!
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby gregpolard » Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:57 am

https://www.brooklynvegan.com/shades-ap ... re-teaser/

New song "SLAPS" as the kids say. I ordered a copy on Pink.
gregpolard

Postby lewdd » Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:36 am

Did I miss something or is there only this 16 second teaser that they expect people to listen to an intro part of a song to decide if they want to shell out $20 for the album?
lewdd

Postby gregpolard » Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:48 am

lewdd wrote:Did I miss something or is there only this 16 second teaser that they expect people to listen to an intro part of a song to decide if they want to shell out $20 for the album?

You missed something. The Brooklyn Vegan link has the song
gregpolard

Postby lewdd » Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:19 am

Finally found it after jumping around a bit. I saved it on my bandcamp wishlist. I might be able to get behind this release after I listen to the rest of the album.
lewdd

Postby FlexMyHead » Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:45 pm

Lewdd, I couldn't find the song on the link Greg posted either.

Here is a link to it though:

https://www.brooklynvegan.com/stream-sh ... rs-thread/
FlexMyHead

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:54 pm

That 1/2 hour set from 2017 on the site is good. They played some songs from the first album
xxxMidgexxx

Postby earthdog70 » Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:41 pm

Great song and I followed Greg's lead and snagged the pink vinyl :mrgreen:
"And so it goes."-Kurt Vonnegut
earthdog70

Postby JGJR » Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:17 am

lewdd wrote:LMK when it becomes available. I am hoping it sounds like their first release from 1988. Some great punk rock on that record.

By far my favorite of theirs as well; one of my favorite post-hardcore/emo/whatever albums. I like the new song and agree that it sound way more like the mid '90s stuff (which I like, too). Saw them more times than I can count back in the '90s; great dudes/band.
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby patient_ot » Sat Aug 08, 2020 6:59 am

Big fan of the first two albums. I like Save It as well and need to pick up a copy of Seeing Things. Haven't listened to anything off the new one yet. Only found out about this recently. Has anyone heard the whole album yet?
patient_ot

Postby scannest » Sat Aug 08, 2020 7:07 am

Pre-ordered via Bandcamp yesterday.
"It's got some great chanting on it" - gregpolard.
scannest

Postby gregpolard » Sat Aug 08, 2020 9:04 am

earthdog70 wrote:Great song and I followed Greg's lead and snagged the pink vinyl :mrgreen:

Glad to help !
gregpolard

Postby gregpolard » Sat Aug 08, 2020 9:05 am

scannest wrote:Pre-ordered via Bandcamp yesterday.

I stupidly bought stuff on Bandcamp last weekend only to have the "all money goes to the artists" stuff pop up yesterday! doh!
gregpolard

Postby earthdog70 » Sat Aug 08, 2020 12:47 pm

Greg do you know if the pink vinyl will be coming with a download code?
earthdog70

Postby gregpolard » Sat Aug 08, 2020 2:44 pm

earthdog70 wrote:Greg do you know if the pink vinyl will be coming with a download code?

I’m fairly certain it is. I feel like someone else asked on their FB page.
gregpolard

Postby earthdog70 » Mon Aug 10, 2020 7:53 pm

Thank you again Greg! :mrgreen:
earthdog70

Postby gregpolard » Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:11 am

I had the privilege of hearing the album yesterday and I just want to say that anyone who's a fan is going to enjoy!
gregpolard

Postby Dinko » Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:12 am

I went for this version. After Sonic Boom, I couldn't stand another shitty artwork. Looks like I'll have to wait a little bit longer, though.

https://houseofdevarishi.com/products/k ... ve-edition
The law of average says you will survive.
Dinko

Postby FlexMyHead » Sat Aug 15, 2020 6:19 pm

Dinko wrote:...After Sonic Boom, I couldn't stand another shitty artwork. Looks like I'll have to wait a little bit longer, though...

Never forget!

FlexMyHead

Postby gregpolard » Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:20 am

How's everyone liking the new album??? It came out officially Friday on streaming and digital, but the vinyl is a bit delayed but should be out soon.

Check this out, too!

https://www.noecho.net/features/shades- ... m-by-album
gregpolard

Postby JGJR » Mon Aug 31, 2020 3:43 pm

I definitely enjoyed it on 1st listen. It reminds me more of their mid '90s stuff on Revelation than anything else. The middle part of the album is my favorite.
JGJR

Postby JGJR » Wed Jun 30, 2021 9:27 am

Given all the talk about late '80s melodic hardcore on here lately, I thought I'd bump this thread. I think I ask this like once a year in various forums, but does anyone have their 1988 (I think) demo in digital form. I think they were called Subculture then and that most of the songs ended up on the s/t 1988 Wishing Well Lp. I have never come across even a YouTube video of any of the songs or even via torrent sites when I did that many years ago, much less a physical copy. It's the kind of thing I hoped would show up on Blogged and Quartered, but even stormy (whose blog is incredible) didn't have it iirc.
JGJR

Postby FormerLurker » Wed Jun 30, 2021 9:31 am

ZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzz............
FormerLurker

Postby lewdd » Wed Jun 30, 2021 9:38 am

JGJR wrote:Given all the talk about late '80s melodic hardcore on here lately, I thought I'd bump this thread. I think I ask this like once a year in various forums, but does anyone have their 1988 (I think) demo in digital form. I think they were called Subculture then and that most of the songs ended up on the s/t 1988 Wishing Well Lp. I have never come across even a YouTube video of any of the songs or even via torrent sites when I did that many years ago, much less a physical copy. It's the kind of thing I hoped would show up on Blogged and Quartered, but even stormy (whose blog is incredible) didn't have it iirc.

I did not know about that cassette demo. I also didn't know that they remixed that first album and released it on CD. Now I will have to attempt to listen to both to determine the difference in the guitar tones.
lewdd

Postby patient_ot » Wed Jun 30, 2021 11:27 am

lewdd wrote:I did not know about that cassette demo. I also didn't know that they remixed that first album and released it on CD. Now I will have to attempt to listen to both to determine the difference in the guitar tones.

Here's the CD reissue of the first album:

https://www.discogs.com/Shades-Apart-Sh ... se/3458439

If it's a remix, that's news to me since there is nothing on the release indicating a remix that I can see. The bonus tracks on the CD are from the Dude Danger 12''.
patient_ot

Postby lewdd » Wed Jun 30, 2021 12:06 pm

I have the album and the CD. This is what I read this morning about the CD remix and it is a band interview so I am guessing the information is accurate. Dude Danger was remixed on that CD too. The Trax info is the remixing. It says recorded there which the story below says the guitars were recorded there and mix with the rest of the song.

lewdd

Postby patient_ot » Wed Jun 30, 2021 12:46 pm

lewdd wrote:I have the album and the CD. This is what I read this morning about the CD remix and it is a band interview so I am guessing the information is accurate. Dude Danger was remixed on that CD too. The Trax info is the remixing. It says recorded there which the story below says the guitars were recorded there and mix with the rest of the song.

Interesting. So it seems like there were three distinct mixes of the album. The Inner Ear mix, which was never released, the Trax remix which is what's on the WW LP, and the second remix which is what's on the CD.

I also never heard the demo referenced upthread.
patient_ot

Postby gregpolard » Wed Jun 30, 2021 1:00 pm

Just bought the Wishingwell LP on Discogs for $22. There's been a $15 one that's warped on there forever.
gregpolard

Postby lewdd » Wed Jun 30, 2021 1:32 pm

patient_ot wrote:
lewdd wrote:I have the album and the CD. This is what I read this morning about the CD remix and it is a band interview so I am guessing the information is accurate. Dude Danger was remixed on that CD too. The Trax info is the remixing. It says recorded there which the story below says the guitars were recorded there and mix with the rest of the song.

Interesting. So it seems like there were three distinct mixes of the album. The Inner Ear mix, which was never released, the Trax remix which is what's on the WW LP, and the second remix which is what's on the CD.

I also never heard the demo referenced upthread.

Based on what is on Discogs, it looks like the LP is the Inner Ear mix.
lewdd

Postby patient_ot » Wed Jun 30, 2021 3:35 pm

lewdd wrote:
Based on what is on Discogs, it looks like the LP is the Inner Ear mix.

This is what I pulled from the interview:

Looks like we spent 2 days (2/9-2/10) tracking songs and 1 day (2/15) mixing for a whopping total recording cost of $720! We sat with the mix for a while and on the 4th of July we headed back down to inner Ear for a 1 day remix session. We decided we needed better guitar tones.

Around that time, a band from New Brunswick, New Jersey called TMA had released a record called Beach Party 2000. The guitars sounded amazing and had this aggressive yet surfy tone. We reached out to their guitarist Mike “Wattage” Demko and he agreed to come to Inner Ear to help dial in our guitar tones. He was a few years older than us. We were just kids (19 and 20 yrs old) so we needed all the help we could get.

Sadly, Mike passed away last month. Years after the initial Wishingwell Records release, we remixed the record again at Trax East in South River, New Jersey and released it on CD on our own label called Ultraviolet.

So it looks like I'm off here a little bit. The album was originally recorded and mixed in February at Inner Ear. The band wasn't happy with the mix and remixed at Inner Ear in July. So it would be the second IE mix that went on the WW LP.

The CD is the only mix done at Trax East.
patient_ot

Postby patient_ot » Wed Jun 30, 2021 3:37 pm

gregpolard wrote:Just bought the Wishingwell LP on Discogs for $22. There's been a $15 one that's warped on there forever.

Saw one at a local shop but it was scratched to shit. Decided to pass. If one shows up at the sellers I deal with or I come across a better copy in the wild, I might buy it. Otherwise I'm satisfied with the sound of the CD and don't really need anything else.
patient_ot

Postby lewdd » Wed Jun 30, 2021 3:53 pm

I think I misread that interview in my quick read too.

Anywho, I think that self titled record is an underrated hardcore classic and the best thing that band ever recorded outside of "Tainted Love".
lewdd

Postby JGJR » Thu Jul 01, 2021 12:56 pm

patient_ot wrote:
gregpolard wrote:Just bought the Wishingwell LP on Discogs for $22. There's been a $15 one that's warped on there forever.

Saw one at a local shop but it was scratched to shit. Decided to pass. If one shows up at the sellers I deal with or I come across a better copy in the wild, I might buy it. Otherwise I'm satisfied with the sound of the CD and don't really need anything else.

I had that CD from when it came out and I remember the s/t album sounding good (that's how I first heard it; I didn't get a vinyl copy until about a decade ago and that's what I have now), but Dude Danger being VERY low volume-wise. The 12" sounded much better, at least on the not so great equipment I was using back then. I wish I still had both the Dude Danger 12" and the CD, though.
JGJR

Postby patient_ot » Thu Jul 01, 2021 3:55 pm

JGJR wrote:I had that CD from when it came out and I remember the s/t album sounding good (that's how I first heard it; I didn't get a vinyl copy until about a decade ago and that's what I have now), but Dude Danger being VERY low volume-wise. The 12" sounded much better, at least on the not so great equipment I was using back then. I wish I still had both the Dude Danger 12" and the CD, though.

I've never had anything by the band on vinyl. I don't think the Dude Danger tracks are their best work honestly, but that's going off memory, and I've not played the CD in a long time. I do really like the s/t album though and it's kind of there in my memory. My favorite album by the group is Neon actually. Need to grab a copy of Seeing Things at some point to complete the set of early stuff by them.
patient_ot

Postby JGJR » Fri Jul 02, 2021 10:08 am

patient_ot wrote:
JGJR wrote:I had that CD from when it came out and I remember the s/t album sounding good (that's how I first heard it; I didn't get a vinyl copy until about a decade ago and that's what I have now), but Dude Danger being VERY low volume-wise. The 12" sounded much better, at least on the not so great equipment I was using back then. I wish I still had both the Dude Danger 12" and the CD, though.

I've never had anything by the band on vinyl. I don't think the Dude Danger tracks are their best work honestly, but that's going off memory, and I've not played the CD in a long time. I do really like the s/t album though and it's kind of there in my memory. My favorite album by the group is Neon actually. Need to grab a copy of Seeing Things at some point to complete the set of early stuff by them.

I love Dude Danger, but part of that is seeing those songs played live so so many times from '93-'96 when they reactivated the band. I especially love "Rut" and "Christmas Lights." You should revisit it. I haven't spent that much time with Neon and never owned it despite loving other things on Skene! (notably, Sticks and Stones) from that time period, but when I listened to it, it didn't really do much for me despite (again) having strong memories of their live show during that era. I think the s/t Wishing Well Lp is by far the best thing they ever did, though. Save It is the mid '90s album of theirs that I really dig.
JGJR

Postby gregpolard » Fri Jul 02, 2021 11:15 am

My favorite SA album is "Seeing Things"
gregpolard

Postby drew » Fri Jul 02, 2021 11:30 am

I always really liked the first album & Dude Danger. I believe I traded the two 12”s for the CD with MikeD…..
Solid live band. As an opener for Sense Field, Into Another, ALL……really great shows.
My memeory sucks sometimes but I think they opened for Jawbreaker at Maxwells. Unless that was two different shows?
Any other dudes there? I’m looking at you, Midge.

The biggest show they played that I was at was with Sensefield & Into Another at Stone Pony under the Big-Top. ‘94?
drew

Postby patient_ot » Fri Jul 02, 2021 2:22 pm

JGJR wrote:I love Dude Danger, but part of that is seeing those songs played live so so many times from '93-'96 when they reactivated the band. I especially love "Rut" and "Christmas Lights." You should revisit it. I haven't spent that much time with Neon and never owned it despite loving other things on Skene! (notably, Sticks and Stones) from that time period, but when I listened to it, it didn't really do much for me despite (again) having strong memories of their live show during that era. I think the s/t Wishing Well Lp is by far the best thing they ever did, though. Save It is the mid '90s album of theirs that I really dig.

I'm listening to the s/t CD now. Re: the volume drop issue, that is because not all the tracks were mastered at the same volume. The s/t portion of the album is DR12 while the Dude Danger tracks are DR14-DR17. My guess is this was either a mistake or the band didn't have the budget to spend on mastering the album so the tracks were roughly level matched.

On a real stereo system, all you have to do is turn up the volume control when it gets to those tracks. On a computer, portable device, etc. you can use replay gain tags or change the volume of the CD rip permanently with software. With software, you need to be careful because adding too much volume can cause the files to clip.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ReplayGain

RE: Neon, I think it's worth revisiting. I like Save It also, but it's pretty different in style from the the s/t or Neon.
patient_ot

Postby JGJR » Fri Jul 02, 2021 7:25 pm

drew wrote:I always really liked the first album & Dude Danger. I believe I traded the two 12”s for the CD with MikeD…..
Solid live band. As an opener for Sense Field, Into Another, ALL……really great shows.
My memeory sucks sometimes but I think they opened for Jawbreaker at Maxwells. Unless that was two different shows?
Any other dudes there? I’m looking at you, Midge.

The biggest show they played that I was at was with Sensefield & Into Another at Stone Pony under the Big-Top. ‘94?

I wasn't at any of those, but the first time I saw them (I think) was when they (along with Headstrong; wonder if anyone else on here remembers them?) opened for Green Day at City Gardens in January 1993. Green Day got signed to Reprise right after that show iirc, but I didn't find that out until many years later probably via the City Gardens book or documentary something. Anyway, they would play in New Brunswick or elsewhere in NJ seemingly every weekend for years after that and I remember seeing them a bunch at the Down Under, once at the Court (all ages matinee), and probably lots of other places that I'm drawing a blank on right now.
JGJR

Postby JGJR » Fri Jul 02, 2021 7:29 pm

patient_ot wrote:
JGJR wrote:I love Dude Danger, but part of that is seeing those songs played live so so many times from '93-'96 when they reactivated the band. I especially love "Rut" and "Christmas Lights." You should revisit it. I haven't spent that much time with Neon and never owned it despite loving other things on Skene! (notably, Sticks and Stones) from that time period, but when I listened to it, it didn't really do much for me despite (again) having strong memories of their live show during that era. I think the s/t Wishing Well Lp is by far the best thing they ever did, though. Save It is the mid '90s album of theirs that I really dig.

I'm listening to the s/t CD now. Re: the volume drop issue, that is because not all the tracks were mastered at the same volume. The s/t portion of the album is DR12 while the Dude Danger tracks are DR14-DR17. My guess is this was either a mistake or the band didn't have the budget to spend on mastering the album so the tracks were roughly level matched.

On a real stereo system, all you have to do is turn up the volume control when it gets to those tracks. On a computer, portable device, etc. you can use replay gain tags or change the volume of the CD rip permanently with software. With software, you need to be careful because adding too much volume can cause the files to clip.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ReplayGain

RE: Neon, I think it's worth revisiting. I like Save It also, but it's pretty different in style from the the s/t or Neon.

Thanks for that info. I certainly didn't have a real stereo system in '94 when I bought that CD from them, but either way that makes sense. I wish I still had it, but alas. That used to be kinda common back then. I remember the same thing with Funeral at the Movies/Ten Spot on CD. The volume drops significantly on the Ten Spot tracks iirc.
JGJR

Return to daghouse