Where It Went podcast: going thru the Revelation catalog

Where It Went podcast: going thru the Revelation catalog

Postby gregpolard » Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:43 am

In case people didn't hear my voice enough on Somethin To Du, my friend Javier and I started another podcast, inspired by Mojack and yes, VS's thread on this very board...

@whereitwentpodcast on Instagram

Episode 000 should be out this week
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Re: Where It Went podcast: going thru the Revelation catalog

Postby version sound » Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:48 pm

I’ll listen for sure.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby gregpolard » Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:14 pm

https://www.podbean.com/eu/pb-yhg3v-e341cb

Should be on iTunes tomorrow, Spotify after 5 episodes
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby captain2man » Wed Jul 15, 2020 7:47 am

When I'm done with podcasting through the Dischord catalog, I call dibs on AmRep.
captain2man

Postby lewdd » Wed Jul 15, 2020 7:56 am

I guess I will do the Captain Oi! podcast then
lewdd

Postby version sound » Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:46 am

Your co-host has questionable opinions about Dischord. Give that fool a Red Hare record.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby pedro » Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:56 am

I'm going to do the "Not On Label (King Face Self-released)" podcast.

Although it might be more of a newsletter. Or maybe just a post on a message board.

I'll let you all know when it drops.
Hello.
pedro

Postby gregpolard » Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:35 am

version sound wrote:Your co-host has questionable opinions about Dischord. Give that fool a Red Hare record.

He doesn't like Swiz. Honestly that's one of the reasons we wanted to do this together. There's some stuff we definitely won't agree on...makes it fun.
gregpolard

Postby version sound » Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:12 am

gregpolard wrote:He doesn't like Swiz.

Oh Jesus.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby gregpolard » Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:22 am

version sound wrote:
gregpolard wrote:He doesn't like Swiz.

Oh Jesus.

We sorta touched on it in the episode but we come from different HC scenes that eventually converged. He's a few years older than I am and was a big part of the Orange County, CA metalcore scene.
gregpolard

Postby gregpolard » Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:08 pm

Episode is now up on iTunes.
gregpolard

Postby version sound » Thu Jul 23, 2020 4:18 pm

Listened to the LESC ep today. Good listen. You guys were pretty on point about this one. You know what’s crazy? This was a $40-$60 record less than 10 years ago. How it got to be regularly valued at 10 times that (if not more) in such a short time is beyond me.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby gregpolard » Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:37 am

version sound wrote:Listened to the LESC ep today. Good listen. You guys were pretty on point about this one. You know what’s crazy? This was a $40-$60 record less than 10 years ago. How it got to be regularly valued at 10 times that (if not more) in such a short time is beyond me.

Man, I wish I would've gotten a copy at that price! Thanks for listening.

Side note: someone has a Chain TTD 7" on Discogs and I just wanted to make sure it has an insert before buying. I messaged them twice with no reply. SMDH
gregpolard

Postby the mean » Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:42 am

You two should talk to my friend Kevin. I can't find the original video interview he did, but there are some outtakes and pictures here:
https://revcollectors.proboards.com/thr ... collection
the mean

Postby drew » Mon Jul 27, 2020 2:23 pm

version sound wrote:Listened to the LESC ep today. Good listen. You guys were pretty on point about this one. You know what’s crazy? This was a $40-$60 record less than 10 years ago. How it got to be regularly valued at 10 times that (if not more) in such a short time is beyond me.

That record has become the Holy Grail of NYHC like the Teen Idles record is for Dischord. And, there was no super-duper reissue. The only version available is re-recorded. Even the first AF 7” is around in some form
drew

Postby lewdd » Mon Jul 27, 2020 2:28 pm

drew wrote:

That record has become the Holy Grail of NYHC like the Teen Idles record is for Dischord. And, there was no super-duper reissue. The only version available is re-recorded. Even the first AF 7” is around in some form

I can't even find FLAC files of it to download on my usual source for such things.
lewdd

Postby gregpolard » Mon Jul 27, 2020 2:57 pm

the mean wrote:You two should talk to my friend Kevin. I can't find the original video interview he did, but there are some outtakes and pictures here:
https://revcollectors.proboards.com/thr ... collection

Whoa! Thank you!
gregpolard

Postby version sound » Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:31 am

New episode up, y’all.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby gregpolard » Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:12 am

version sound wrote:New episode up, y’all.

This one was very fun. We've got some cool interviews lined up for future ones, fingers crossed! Thanks for listening!
gregpolard

Postby version sound » Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:25 am

Aaaaaand the co-host doesn’t like Side By Side. This guy’s no Jude, I’ll tell you that.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby gregpolard » Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:40 am

version sound wrote:Aaaaaand the co-host doesn’t like Side By Side. This guy’s no Jude, I’ll tell you that.

LOL!!
gregpolard

Postby scannest » Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:42 am

CORRECTED
version sound wrote:This guy’s no Jude, I tell ya whut.
"It's got some great chanting on it" - gregpolard.
scannest

Postby Marc M » Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:25 pm

If you want to do an interview when you get to the COS 7", let me know. I can try to hook you up with one of them.
Marc M

Postby the mean » Thu Jul 30, 2020 4:59 pm

Marc M wrote:If you want to do an interview when you get to the COS 7", let me know. I can try to hook you up with one of them.

Hopefully Curt. His online presence is a treat.
the mean

Postby version sound » Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:05 pm

the mean wrote:
Marc M wrote:If you want to do an interview when you get to the COS 7", let me know. I can try to hook you up with one of them.

Hopefully Curt. His online presence is a treat.

Man, I don’t even want to know. I’ve heard about him being a MAGA guy. COS is one of my favorite Revelation bands. I don’t really want to think about that when I listen to them.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby gregpolard » Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:46 am

Please! I reached out to Bratton on FB but I don’t think he’s on there much at all. Since we use zoom we can have more than one person on the call too. I’d love to have maybe Hoffman and Al Pain.

We interviewed Sammy Siegler last night about Side By Side. People are really going to dig it.
gregpolard

Postby Marc M » Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:43 pm

gregpolard wrote:

Please! I reached out to Bratton on FB but I don’t think he’s on there much at all. Since we use zoom we can have more than one person on the call too. I’d love to have maybe Hoffman and Al Pain.

We interviewed Sammy Siegler last night about Side By Side. People are really going to dig it.

I hit up Ryan, Frosty, and Alex. Ryan is down. I'll send you his email to set it up. Haven't heard back from the other two yet.
Marc M

Postby gregpolard » Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:55 pm

Marc M wrote:
gregpolard wrote:

I hit up Ryan, Frosty, and Alex. Ryan is down. I'll send you his email to set it up. Haven't heard back from the other two yet.

You rule! Thank you!
gregpolard

Postby gregpolard » Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:51 am

SICK OF IT ALL episode is up now!
gregpolard

Postby JGJR » Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:02 am

gregpolard wrote:SICK OF IT ALL episode is up now!

I'm so behind. I still have to listen to the Together episode. I loved the Warzone one, though. it made me appreciate that record more. I also wish I'd gotten it at the older prices, but I never even saw a copy back then or earlier in any color. Apparently, Raybeez didn't ever want it reissued? Anyway, I found a great YouTube rip of it.

xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby version sound » Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:13 am

A good friend bought all those early Revelation releases in multiple pressings. He didn’t even listen to them, just filed them away. I had zero interest in that stuff at the time. It all seemed so retro at that point. He (much) later sold them to buy his wife’s engagement ring.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby version sound » Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:15 am

Love the podcast, but WTF is bidipbo?
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby JGJR » Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:18 am

version sound wrote:Love the podcast, but WTF is bidipbo?

It means you got a big mouth, sucka. :lol: :lol: :lol:
JGJR

Postby drew » Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:23 pm

I haven’t listened yet. It’s weird to me because I was there. I wasn’t a “scenester” and didn’t really know the dudes in the bands, I met many of them and had conversations but this stuff is different for me than SST or Dischord or even Husker Du & The ‘Mats. I love getting knowledge and stories of those places and eras I wasn’t part of.
My memories of that time in NYC and the early REV releases holds a very special space in my life and I’m happy to have my own perspective on what went on. I’m not saying I know everything or saw every show....etc.......
My personal nostalgia here is more important to me than to hear someone tell stories from their perspective.
Or, maybe I’m just being a petulant bitch? Who knows?.......
drew

Postby JGJR » Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:35 pm

drew wrote:I haven’t listened yet. It’s weird to me because I was there. I wasn’t a “scenester” and didn’t really know the dudes in the bands, I met many of them and had conversations but this stuff is different for me than SST or Dischord or even Husker Du & The ‘Mats. I love getting knowledge and stories of those places and eras I wasn’t part of.
My memories of that time in NYC and the early REV releases holds a very special space in my life and I’m happy to have my own perspective on what went on. I’m not saying I know everything or saw every show....etc.......
My personal nostalgia here is more important to me than to hear someone tell stories from their perspective.
Or, maybe I’m just being a petulant bitch? Who knows?.......

Sounds like you should tell the story of your experiences on the podcast. Greg?
JGJR

Postby the mean » Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:36 pm

Jumping the gun a little, but I saw Bold 32 years ago today, and there is a decent sounding video of the set on youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzYug9XV5CA&t=630s
the mean

Postby JGJR » Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:40 pm

the mean wrote:Jumping the gun a little, but I saw Bold 32 years ago today, and there is a decent sounding video of the set on youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzYug9XV5CA&t=630s

Is there video of me singing "Wise Up" with Battery at the Down Under in New Brunswick back in 1995? I searched briefly and couldn't find it (found some other interesting Down Under sets; was at all of those shows during the brief time that club existed; it's all a huge high-rise/apartment/office building now), but I did find this. It's a flyer I made for a show I booked around the same time at my college. Only Deadguy ended up playing. Damnation A.D. canceled a few days before and I was able to book Bleed. A friend booked the NJ shore death metal band Human Remains and that was the final bill. I don't remember why Holeshot couldn't play, but I'd already booked them at the same space a year earlier; one of my favorites of that whole scene; so underrated/overlooked.

https://hardcoreshowflyers.net/?p=328
JGJR

Postby gregpolard » Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:54 am

Episode 004 is up on the GB 7" with special guests Luke Abbey and Arthur Smilios!

Also Rev wrote a little piece about the pod here:

https://www.revhq.com/blogs/news/new-po ... ds-release
gregpolard

Postby JGJR » Sat Aug 15, 2020 3:20 pm

gregpolard wrote:Episode 004 is up on the GB 7" with special guests Luke Abbey and Arthur Smilios!

Best episode so far and I think it's getting better with each episode. I love Arthur's stories in particular. They're a little older, but I remember some of what he talks about and I can relate to some of it quite deeply. Within 5 seconds of the interview starting, Arthur started talking about Waldbaum's and that was my neighborhood supermarket growing up. I met Chuck Schumer there when I was like 7 or 8 and he was running for maybe state senate or something.
JGJR

Postby gregpolard » Wed Aug 19, 2020 8:20 am

JGJR wrote:
gregpolard wrote:Episode 004 is up on the GB 7" with special guests Luke Abbey and Arthur Smilios!

Best episode so far and I think it's getting better with each episode. I love Arthur's stories in particular. They're a little older, but I remember some of what he talks about and I can relate to some of it quite deeply. Within 5 seconds of the interview starting, Arthur started talking about Waldbaum's and that was my neighborhood supermarket growing up. I met Chuck Schumer there when I was like 7 or 8 and he was running for maybe state senate or something.

Thanks again!
gregpolard

Postby gregpolard » Wed Aug 19, 2020 8:21 am

New Episode is up now where we chop it up with Sammy Siegler about the Side By Side 7".
gregpolard

Postby version sound » Wed Aug 19, 2020 1:18 pm

Side By Side is definitely essential! It’s probably my second favorite of those early 7”s.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby the mean » Wed Aug 19, 2020 1:26 pm

I've enjoyed the conversation about YDL on Facebook that I assume was inspired by Javier doing research for this podcast.
the mean

Postby gregpolard » Wed Aug 19, 2020 2:04 pm

version sound wrote:Side By Side is definitely essential! It’s probably my second favorite of those early 7”s.

Such a great record.
gregpolard

Postby gregpolard » Wed Aug 19, 2020 2:05 pm

the mean wrote:I've enjoyed the conversation about YDL on Facebook that I assume was inspired by Javier doing research for this podcast.

Oh yeah. Haha. We'll definitely talk about them on the Way It Is episode.
gregpolard

Postby version sound » Tue Sep 01, 2020 8:40 am

I paused the new episode to listen to SFC once again, and actually enjoyed it. I don’t know what my mental block has been with this record. Last time I tried, I think I bailed after a song or two. For some reason, it didn’t sound like as much of a Minor Threat rip off today. I still prefer Stalag 13 and COS, though.

As for the actual record this ep is about, NFAA is probably the weakest of the first 10 Rev releases. The vocals are really same-y and monotonous.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby gregpolard » Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:16 am

version sound wrote:I paused the new episode to listen to SFC once again, and actually enjoyed it. I don’t know what my mental block has been with this record. Last time I tried, I think I bailed after a song or two. For some reason, it didn’t sound like as much of a Minor Threat rip off today. I still prefer Stalag 13 and COS, though.

As for the actual record this ep is about, NFAA is probably the weakest of the first 10 Rev releases. The vocals are really same-y and monotonous.

I will say with that UC record I always saw just as much of a Scream influence as Minor Threat. I agree with you about the NFAA 7", but it's still tight!

Tomorrow is gonna be a good one with a special guest or two maybe? ;)
gregpolard

Postby gregpolard » Wed Sep 02, 2020 7:07 am

Episode 007 is live! We discuss the legendary "The Way It Is" compilation with Rev founders Ray Cappo and Jordan Cooper. Get into it!
gregpolard

Postby Hal » Wed Sep 02, 2020 2:29 pm

gregpolard wrote:Episode 007 is live! We discuss the legendary "The Way It Is" compilation with Rev founders Ray Cappo and Jordan Cooper. Get into it!

EPIC!
Hal

Postby version sound » Wed Sep 02, 2020 2:56 pm

Man, you guys are coming in hot with the big name guests.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Next

Return to daghouse