Where It Went podcast: going thru the Revelation catalog

Re: Where It Went podcast: going thru the Revelation catalog

Postby Marc M » Tue Sep 29, 2020 1:49 pm

gregpolard wrote:CHAIN episode goes live Wednesday. People who are fans will be stoked. S/O to MarcM....he knows why :)

Looking forward to it. The BDTW episode was awesome!
Marc M

Postby gregpolard » Tue Sep 29, 2020 3:02 pm

Marc M wrote:
gregpolard wrote:CHAIN episode goes live Wednesday. People who are fans will be stoked. S/O to MarcM....he knows why :)

Looking forward to it. The BDTW episode was awesome!

Thank you! That one was so fun to do. So was Chain! Lots of questions answered that I've had for years.
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby version sound » Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:52 am

You guys really think that GB or Hatebreed have outsold Out of Step????

PS: You guys WANT loud, compressed CDs??????
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby gregpolard » Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:34 am

version sound wrote:You guys really think that GB or Hatebreed have outsold Out of Step????

Honestly, if anything they're all pretty close. Hatebreed was massive on that record, touring Ozzfest and shit.

Compressed? Nah. But when they're super quiet it's annoying!
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby patient_ot » Tue Oct 20, 2020 12:20 pm

The original Start Today CD sounds fine. What people don't understand is how to turn up the volume, or set levels track by track when making a homemade comp or mixtape. If you're worried about volume on crappy earbuds or a laptop speakers, or Itunes or whatever, learn how to use Replay Gain tags.

RE: CDs in 1989, people weren't compressing and brickwalling the shit out of CDs back then. The loudness war on CD didn't kick in to high gear until a few years later.

One of the earliest really loud CDs I have is a Dismember CD from '91. There was a more dynamic version (about twice as dynamic) but it is very rare and was only available for a few months.

http://dr.loudness-war.info/album/view/66744

Oasis' second album was the release that really pushed the loudness war as far as mainstream stuff goes. It's louder and more compressed than a lot of 90s hardcore albums actually. But then there are also plenty of mainstream releases from the same time that were not bricked at all.
patient_ot

Postby version sound » Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:02 pm

gregpolard wrote:
version sound wrote:You guys really think that GB or Hatebreed have outsold Out of Step????

Honestly, if anything they're all pretty close. Hatebreed was massive on that record, touring Ozzfest and shit.

Not buying it until I see sales data. They might have sold a lot of records initially, but OOS has been selling steadily (and well) for nearly 40 years.

Plus, they’re a metal band, which is why they were part of Ozzfest.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby patient_ot » Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:17 pm

version sound wrote:Not buying it until I see sales data. They might have sold a lot of records initially, but OOS has been selling steadily (and well) for nearly 40 years.

The data would be very interesting. But consider this, at the time of that Hatebreed album, you could buy Victory Records stuff in Wal-Mart and other big box stores. At least from what I remember, you could not do that with Dischord releases or Rev releases. I think that probably gave Hatebreed a huge sales boost, especially in areas that didn't have a decent punk/hc oriented record shop. And I never really understood fully why people went apeshit over the early Hatebreed stuff like Under the Knife and the first Victory album. A friend played them for me at the time, and I had to admit they were good for what they were, even if not what I was into at the time. I guess a lot of people related to them at the time.
patient_ot

Postby gregpolard » Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:18 pm

version sound wrote:
gregpolard wrote:

Not buying it until I see sales data. They might have sold a lot of records initially, but OOS has been selling steadily (and well) for nearly 40 years.

If you saw Hatebreed in 1998/1999 you wouldn't say that. Clearly a HC band at least then.

But at any rate, hopefully there was some cool stuff you got out of the listen other than this little snafu :)
gregpolard

Postby version sound » Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:37 pm

gregpolard wrote:If you saw Hatebreed in 1998/1999 you wouldn't say that. Clearly a HC band at least then.

But at any rate, hopefully there was some cool stuff you got out of the listen other than this little snafu :)

Don’t tell me, tell the National Academy of Recording Arts and Sciences.

There’s always plenty to enjoy in these episodes. Don’t think I don’t enjoy them just because I always have a bone to pick. Unfortunately, since I have a direct line of communication to you (until you get your own board up and running and leave us behind), you have to listen to the trivial bitching that I would normally just say to myself when listening to another podcast.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby gregpolard » Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:40 pm

version sound wrote:
gregpolard wrote:If you saw Hatebreed in 1998/1999 you wouldn't say that. Clearly a HC band at least then.

Don’t tell me, tell the National Academy of Recording Arts and Sciences.

There’s always plenty to enjoy in these episodes. Don’t think I don’t enjoy them just because I always have a bone to pick. Unfortunately, since I have a direct line of communication to you (until you get your own board up and running and leave us behind), you have to listen to the trivial bitching that I would normally just say to myself when listening to another podcast.

haha! I get it. I will say this...Jordan told us the GB LP is their best seller with Texas is the Reason in second.
gregpolard

Postby Nico » Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:35 pm

version sound wrote:
gregpolard wrote:

The tricky part is that OOS was available on vinyl and tape only. To have it on cd, you need to buy the complete discography. GB was available on all three formats.

Back in 1987 Ian mentions in a letter they sold 40.000 copies of OOS. In an interview in an zine he mentions Minor Threat sold 250.000 records in total. All before the cd version was released.

Back in 2017 in a podcast Ian mentions Minor Threat sold 1.000.000 records (and Brendan Canty mentions Fugazi sold 4.000.000 records to put things in perspective)
Nico

Postby version sound » Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:33 am

I remember reading somewhere, years ago that OOS had gone gold (500,000 copies), though it obviously was not recognized by whoever hands out gold record awards.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby patient_ot » Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:28 am

version sound wrote:I remember reading somewhere, years ago that OOS had gone gold (500,000 copies), though it obviously was not recognized by whoever hands out gold record awards.

I'm going to guess that Dischord, its distributors, and every store they sold to weren't all using SoundScan all those years.

The whole gold, platinum, etc. RIAA awards are a such a joke now. You can get an award based on the number of streams for an album, which is total bullshit.
patient_ot

Postby JGJR » Wed Oct 21, 2020 3:39 pm

patient_ot wrote:
version sound wrote:I remember reading somewhere, years ago that OOS had gone gold (500,000 copies), though it obviously was not recognized by whoever hands out gold record awards.

I'm going to guess that Dischord, its distributors, and every store they sold to weren't all using SoundScan all those years.

The whole gold, platinum, etc. RIAA awards are a such a joke now. You can get an award based on the number of streams for an album, which is total bullshit.

I think it's better for assessing "hits" in terms of an artist's most popular tracks and it maybe the most democratic way ever devised to measure that except for the fact that of course not everyone streams, but it is how most folks listen to music now. And of course, there are many artists missing from streaming platforms, too, so maybe not? But yeah, I got almost everything second-hand or via tape trading/copying and what not when I was getting into this stuff, so it makes me wonder how many more people have heard this stuff than those sales indicators would have you believe.
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby patient_ot » Wed Oct 21, 2020 6:57 pm

JGJR wrote:
I think it's better for assessing "hits" in terms of an artist's most popular tracks and it maybe the most democratic way ever devised to measure that except for the fact that of course not everyone streams, but it is how most folks listen to music now. And of course, there are many artists missing from streaming platforms, too, so maybe not? But yeah, I got almost everything second-hand or via tape trading/copying and what not when I was getting into this stuff, so it makes me wonder how many more people have heard this stuff than those sales indicators would have you believe.

Did you hear the story about fake "artists" designed to capture streaming revenue? The take a name similar sounding a well known artist or using one of the words. They can even send a bot army to stream the tracks many times and add up to $$$. Same deal with content farms and click farms on YouTube.

I gave up my streaming account in March and don't really miss it that much. The only thing I was really using it for was checking out newer artists. I have way too much physical music here that I can play instead.
patient_ot

Postby JGJR » Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:53 am

patient_ot wrote:
JGJR wrote:

Did you hear the story about fake "artists" designed to capture streaming revenue? The take a name similar sounding a well known artist or using one of the words. They can even send a bot army to stream the tracks many times and add up to $$$. Same deal with content farms and click farms on YouTube.

I gave up my streaming account in March and don't really miss it that much. The only thing I was really using it for was checking out newer artists. I have way too much physical music here that I can play instead.

Yeah, it's not perfect and I have heard about fake accounts/band names and bots and stuff, but I honestly love it. We have a family membership and it's great. I use it mainly for podcasts, Discover Weekly, and making playlists. It also basically replacing downloading for me as well, at least for the most part.
JGJR

Postby Neal » Thu Oct 22, 2020 1:06 pm

just listened to the chain of strength episode and i liked how in depth it was. i've come around to some youth crew stuff, and i like chain, but i still don't get the idolization of that band. i think justice league were so much better and more interesting. and sad that ryan didn't seem to think they're still appreciated as well.

i got to see circle storm once with ignite and they didn't get much of a reception, and i swear the crowd hardly cared when they played a chain cover, but i might be remembering wrong.
Neal

Postby patient_ot » Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:37 am

Neal wrote:just listened to the chain of strength episode and i liked how in depth it was. i've come around to some youth crew stuff, and i like chain, but i still don't get the idolization of that band. i think justice league were so much better and more interesting. and sad that ryan didn't seem to think they're still appreciated as well.

i got to see circle storm once with ignite and they didn't get much of a reception, and i swear the crowd hardly cared when they played a chain cover, but i might be remembering wrong.

The problem with Justice League is they were one of those bands I read about but never got to hear. During the 90s (when I listened to a lot of YC type bands) I don't recall seeing their material anywhere, unless it was a bootleg sold through the Very catalog or something. The Chain stuff was in print at least. I had that Circle Storm CD at the time and never fully got into it except the 7'' bonus songs that were recorded many years prior to the rest of the CD.
patient_ot

Postby Marc M » Fri Oct 23, 2020 12:42 pm

Neal wrote:just listened to the chain of strength episode and i liked how in depth it was. i've come around to some youth crew stuff, and i like chain, but i still don't get the idolization of that band. i think justice league were so much better and more interesting. and sad that ryan didn't seem to think they're still appreciated as well.

Is there a "heart" emoji here?

Judging by sales / streams, COS is about 50X more popular than JL unfortunately.
Marc M

Postby version sound » Fri Oct 23, 2020 1:15 pm

I saw JL open for Soul Side in ‘85 or ‘86. I know it was before the ROS 7” came out because they (JL - I think) were listening to it on a cassette out front before the show. Great show. Sad to say that I didn’t ever get any JL records for some reason (I don’t recall seeing them in my local record stores). I should really rectify that. I really like what I’ve heard through YouTube.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby lewdd » Fri Oct 23, 2020 1:23 pm

Mark M may be able to hook you up with something
lewdd

Postby Marc M » Fri Oct 23, 2020 2:03 pm

version sound wrote:I saw JL open for Soul Side in ‘85 or ‘86. I know it was before the ROS 7” came out because they (JL - I think) were listening to it on a cassette out front before the show. Great show. Sad to say that I didn’t ever get any JL records for some reason (I don’t recall seeing them in my local record stores). I should really rectify that. I really like what I’ve heard through YouTube.

Virginia Beach?
Marc M

Postby JGJR » Fri Oct 23, 2020 2:04 pm

version sound wrote:I saw JL open for Soul Side in ‘85 or ‘86. I know it was before the ROS 7” came out because they (JL - I think) were listening to it on a cassette out front before the show. Great show. Sad to say that I didn’t ever get any JL records for some reason (I don’t recall seeing them in my local record stores). I should really rectify that. I really like what I’ve heard through YouTube.

They were already called Soul Side then? My guess is more early '87, but I honestly don't know. Anyway, I've never knowingly heard JL, either. They are just one of those bands I've always heard/read about and never got to hear for whatever reason and haven't bothered rectifying that in the internet era; I did finally hear the 1st 2 Faction 7"s the other day via YouTube and really dug them.
JGJR

Postby Marc M » Fri Oct 23, 2020 2:21 pm

JGJR wrote:

They were already called Soul Side then? My guess is more early '87, but I honestly don't know. Anyway, I've never knowingly heard JL, either. They are just one of those bands I've always heard/read about and never got to hear for whatever reason and haven't bothered rectifying that in the internet era; I did finally hear the 1st 2 Faction 7"s the other day via YouTube and really dug them.

The only time that I can remember JL playing with Soul Side was summer '86 in Virginia Beach. They were billed on the flyer as Lunch Meat, and we were familiar with them from the split 7" with Mission Impossible. At that very show, they announced they were changing their name to Soul Side. We became good friends with those guys that night.
Last edited by Marc M on Fri Oct 23, 2020 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marc M

Postby Neal » Fri Oct 23, 2020 2:21 pm

i just went to a streaming site and oddly they had the shattered dreams and reach out albums, attributed to fartblossom and positive force, but not the other 7" or cd. i put the shattered dreams album up there with verbal assault "trial" and articles of faith "in this life" as my favorite non dc melodic hardcore albums. when i heard chain, i just thought it was a step back to basic hardcore.

i also remember when it seemed easy to find some of the fartblossom and positive force albums. i had multiple sealed copies of stuff like jl, bedlam hour, foundation "voyage," 7 seconds "praise," screaming broccoli, war on the saints, etc. because i'd find them in bulk sometimes.
Neal

Postby version sound » Fri Oct 23, 2020 3:26 pm

Marc M wrote:
JGJR wrote:

The only time that I can remember JL playing with Soul Side was summer '86 in Virginia Beach. They were billed on the flyer as Lunch Meat, and we were familiar with them from the split 7" with Mission Impossible. At that very show, they announced they were changing their name to Soul Side. We became good friends with those guys that night.

Egg-zactly! Thanks for saving me the trouble of writing the exact same response :D
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby version sound » Fri Oct 23, 2020 3:31 pm

Neal wrote:when i heard chain, i just thought it was a step back to basic hardcore.

That’s exactly how I felt about all that youth crew stuff in the late ‘80s. Listening to it now (at least the early Revelation bands), I can appreciate it as excellent basic hardcore and forget that it came a few years after the peak time for that stuff.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby isolation73 » Sun Dec 13, 2020 7:34 pm

I'm way behind on the podcast episodes, but I absolutely loved the Chain episode. Have been a huge Chain and Rev-head for a long time. Really love the passion and enthusiasm that you and Jav have. Can't wait for the Burn, Inside Out, Into Another, and Iceburn episodes in the future! Keep up the great work.
isolation73

Postby gregpolard » Mon Dec 14, 2020 10:10 am

isolation73 wrote:

I'm way behind on the podcast episodes, but I absolutely loved the Chain episode. Have been a huge Chain and Rev-head for a long time. Really love the passion and enthusiasm that you and Jav have. Can't wait for the Burn, Inside Out, Into Another, and Iceburn episodes in the future! Keep up the great work.

Thank you!

We just recorded the Shelter episode yesterday that I think people will really enjoy.
gregpolard

Postby version sound » Wed Apr 28, 2021 2:55 pm

Listening to the Statue episode now. Good stuff. I can’t believe those dudes thought it was “coming down the pipe.” I’m glad you corrected them. Did the Statue guys say if there were any plans to remix the first EP, or even release the rough mix? I love that EP as it is and would fully re-buy a new and improved version. Also, email your new friend and tell him that he needs a Fender Bass VI (or even a Squier) if he wants that Cure bass sound.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby gregpolard » Wed Apr 28, 2021 3:27 pm

version sound wrote:Listening to the Statue episode now. Good stuff. I can’t believe those dudes thought it was “coming down the pipe.” I’m glad you corrected them. Did the Statue guys say if there were any plans to remix the first EP, or even release the rough mix? I love that EP as it is and would fully re-buy a new and improved version. Also, email your new friend and tell him that he needs a Fender Bass VI (or even a Squier) if he wants that Cure bass sound.

Thank you!

So Chris mentioned on another episode that they are planning on doing a full discography LP with Rev! When? I have no idea.
gregpolard

Postby version sound » Wed Apr 28, 2021 4:37 pm

gregpolard wrote:So Chris mentioned on another episode that they are planning on doing a full discography LP with Rev! When? I have no idea.

I’m sure we’ll see it around the same time as the reissue of the original Chain of Strength 7” mixes.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby JGJR » Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:21 am

gregpolard wrote:
version sound wrote:Listening to the Statue episode now. Good stuff. I can’t believe those dudes thought it was “coming down the pipe.” I’m glad you corrected them. Did the Statue guys say if there were any plans to remix the first EP, or even release the rough mix? I love that EP as it is and would fully re-buy a new and improved version. Also, email your new friend and tell him that he needs a Fender Bass VI (or even a Squier) if he wants that Cure bass sound.

Thank you!

So Chris mentioned on another episode that they are planning on doing a full discography LP with Rev! When? I have no idea.

Just take my money, Rev.
JGJR

Postby gregpolard » Wed Oct 06, 2021 1:04 pm

Shades Apart "Save It" episode went up today and Midge got a shout out.
gregpolard

Previous

Return to daghouse