Somethin To Du - Husker / Replacements podcast

Re: Somethin To Du - Husker / Replacements podcast

Postby lewdd » Sat Jun 06, 2020 9:21 pm

Well, maybe that explains why I probably like more songs by Sugar and Bob Mould solo than I did during the Husker Du era. I will have to create that playlist at some point. Now the choice is to do it before or after I make my Replacements playlist. I am pretty confident that I like more post Husker Du band member songs than I do post Replacements member songs. Where do other stand on that level?
lewdd

Postby lewdd » Sat Jun 06, 2020 9:24 pm

Don't Want to Know If You Are Lonely is certainly in my top 5 Husker Du songs and may be #1. I would have to go back and listen to the other 34 to make a final conclusion.
lewdd

Postby gregpolard » Sun Jun 07, 2020 9:53 am

lewdd wrote:Don't Want to Know If You Are Lonely is certainly in my top 5 Husker Du songs and may be #1. I would have to go back and listen to the other 34 to make a final conclusion.

It's got 11 million + streams (and that's just on Spotify) which sorta surprised me but sorta didn't.
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby lewdd » Sun Jun 07, 2020 10:32 am

gregpolard wrote:
lewdd wrote:Don't Want to Know If You Are Lonely is certainly in my top 5 Husker Du songs and may be #1. I would have to go back and listen to the other 34 to make a final conclusion.

It's got 11 million + streams (and that's just on Spotify) which sorta surprised me but sorta didn't.

The band may have made $50 for those 11M streams
lewdd

Postby lewdd » Mon Jun 08, 2020 3:43 pm

lewdd

Postby gregpolard » Mon Jun 08, 2020 3:56 pm

I was not! I mean I knew of some of the landmarks but had no idea a family tree like that existed online. TY!
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby lewdd » Mon Jun 08, 2020 4:48 pm

gregpolard wrote:I was not! I mean I knew of some of the landmarks but had no idea a family tree like that existed online. TY!

Just give me props for finding it for you in your podcast where you talk about it :D
lewdd

Postby lewdd » Mon Jun 08, 2020 4:49 pm

Here is my Replacements playlist. It has more than 2x the Husker Du playlist.

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/3as6y ... zk0bJo2hLg
lewdd

Postby gregpolard » Mon Jun 08, 2020 4:50 pm

lewdd wrote:
gregpolard wrote:I was not! I mean I knew of some of the landmarks but had no idea a family tree like that existed online. TY!

Just give me props for finding it for you in your podcast where you talk about it :D

Of course!
gregpolard

Postby lewdd » Mon Jun 08, 2020 4:51 pm

LMK what other research you need me to do for your podcast. I love that stuff.
lewdd

Postby gregpolard » Mon Jun 08, 2020 5:28 pm

lewdd wrote:LMK what other research you need me to do for your podcast. I love that stuff.

Thank you!

I'm looking for stuff about Reflex Records / "Everything Falls Apart" if you find any cool ephemera or stories. Email me, please! somethintoduepodcast@gmail.com - you will def get a shout!
gregpolard

Postby DelGriffith » Tue Jun 09, 2020 7:43 am

I was curious so I checked it out..Some technical stuff you missed, but I'll let it slide.

Stoked for you to discuss Modulate; my favorite Mould record.

Cheers
DelGriffith

Postby gregpolard » Tue Jun 09, 2020 8:04 am

DelGriffith wrote:I was curious so I checked it out..Some technical stuff you missed, but I'll let it slide.

Cheers

Thank you, Del! That's quite the hot take. Curious what technical stuff was missed as we'd love to give you a shout on the next episode!
gregpolard

Postby DelGriffith » Tue Jun 09, 2020 10:33 am

gregpolard wrote:
DelGriffith wrote:I was curious so I checked it out..Some technical stuff you missed, but I'll let it slide.

Cheers

Thank you, Del! That's quite the hot take. Curious what technical stuff was missed as we'd love to give you a shout on the next episode!

Well one thing missed that I thought was important to mention.. both Hart and Mould were reading a novel called “The Canadian Mounted” during the recording of Candy Apple Grey and thus the lyrics are heavily influenced by it. I remember reading this antidote in an interview done by The Big Takeover magazine when the album came out. Let me check my archives for the exact quote...
DelGriffith

Postby gregpolard » Tue Jun 09, 2020 11:08 am

DelGriffith wrote:
gregpolard wrote:

Cheers

Well one thing missed that I thought was important to mention.. both Hart and Mould were reading a novel called “The Canadian Mounted” during the recording of Candy Apple Grey and thus the lyrics are heavily influenced by it. I remember reading this antidote in an interview done by The Big Takeover magazine when the album came out. Let me check my archives for the exact quote...

Funny you mention Big Takeover. I have actually contributed to the magazine before and one of our frequent posters (JGJR) is a longtime contributer! He actually did the interview with Best Coast in the new issue. Curious if you're a fan?
gregpolard

Postby JGJR » Tue Jun 09, 2020 6:48 pm

captain2man wrote:
lewdd wrote:After a quick spin through the entire Husker Du catalog, I came up with 35 songs that I like which seems to be a fraction of what they released. Of these 35, there are probably 5 or so that I think are really, really great songs. So, obviously, I am not as big of a fan as others, but that didn't surprise me because I never really got into this band and mostly enjoy their major label stuff. The only song missing from the playlist is from the Blasting Concept II "Erase Today". You guys that are the subject matter experts can tell me if Bob or Grant is my favorite song writer based on the playlist.

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/221nK ... RiVKQSeCXQ

Bob by a mile as far as your playlist goes - only a handful of those are Grant songs - Every Everything (also the title of a great doc about Grant), Don't Want To Know If You Are Lonely, Sorry Somehow, No Promise Have I Made, and Actual Condition.

So it looks like it's Bob 30, Grant 5.

Interestingly, three of the Grant songs you chose are from Candy Apple Grey....which, in my opinion, is the one album where Grant absolutely brought the better songs. All four of Grant's songs on that album are gems, and I think Bob's material is some of the weakest he wrote in Husker.

But I'm a huge Grant fan and always loved his songs just as much as Bob's - which is probably why Husker is one of my favorite all-time bands. I think Grant was every bit as talented as Bob - but was far more troubled, introverted, and a victim of his own demons. Bob cleaned himself up and has been unbelievably prolific and focused on his career post-Husker.

Meanwhile, Grant could only muster four actual solo albums (and two Nova Mob records) in all the years since Husker broke up. Bob has put out six albums in the last 12 years. But they're all worth hearing. He was a delicate and troubled soul - but immensely talented.

Absolutely spot-on analysis except that I think I like Bob's songs on CAG a bit more than you do. I didn't used to, though, but they've grown on the last few years to the point where they're some of my favorites. It's definitely a Grant album for sure, though, and I stil agree that he brought his A material on that album whereas Bob kinda didn't except for the quieter stuff (which I think is excellent).
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby JGJR » Tue Jun 09, 2020 6:49 pm

gregpolard wrote:

I think it's because it was used in Adventureland and probably stuff since then, too? But yeah, I think it's their most accessible song to a mainstream audience by far; it's a template for Foo Fighters, basically.
JGJR

Postby lewdd » Tue Jun 09, 2020 7:11 pm

did you ever see the footage of the concert where grohl drummed for mould playing husker du songs
lewdd

Postby gregpolard » Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:45 am

lewdd wrote:did you ever see the footage of the concert where grohl drummed for mould playing husker du songs

Yep! I actually had the entire concert on my old computer. Wish I could still access. I was supposed to get a DVD of it from the Kickstarter but never did.
gregpolard

Postby gregpolard » Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:37 pm

Episode 3 : The Replacements "Pleased To Meet Me" is live now!

Only two more episodes before we can get onto Spotify.
gregpolard

Postby lewdd » Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:44 pm

gregpolard wrote:Episode 3 : The Replacements "Pleased To Meet Me" is live now!

Only two more episodes before we can get onto Spotify.

Probably my favorite Replacements album and when I really started to give a shit about them at all. "Alex Chilton" is my fave Replacements song too.
lewdd

Postby scannest » Wed Jun 10, 2020 1:17 pm

If forced to choose one, it would be PTMM. Which would put it second only to Quadrophenia on my list of favorite albums.
"It's got some great chanting on it" - gregpolard.
scannest

Postby gregpolard » Wed Jun 10, 2020 2:42 pm

scannest wrote:If forced to choose one, it would be PTMM. Which would put it second only to Quadrophenia on my list of favorite albums.

I think you'll like this episode. ;)
gregpolard

Postby version sound » Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:54 am

I just listened to Pleased to Meet Me in preparation for this episode, and I might finally be hooked on this band...
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby gregpolard » Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:17 am

version sound wrote:I just listened to Pleased to Meet Me in preparation for this episode, and I might finally be hooked on this band...

"Let It Be" used to be my "no duh" #1 for them. But in researching for this episode and really dissecting PTMM I can't be so sure.
gregpolard

Postby lewdd » Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:44 am

PTMM has two slower songs on it that I did not include on my Replacements playlist, but songs that I would actually listen to in context of listening through a full album. That is their only album that I would want to listen to in full. I would have been OK if they never would have recorded their last album as well. Most of those songs seem like radio friendly pop songs for 40-50 year olds who never heard punk rock songs before in their life. Some may even be closer to country pop.
lewdd

Postby gregpolard » Thu Jun 11, 2020 1:40 pm

lewdd wrote:PTMM has two slower songs on it that I did not include on my Replacements playlist, but songs that I would actually listen to in context of listening through a full album. That is their only album that I would want to listen to in full. I would have been OK if they never would have recorded their last album as well. Most of those songs seem like radio friendly pop songs for 40-50 year olds who never heard punk rock songs before in their life. Some may even be closer to country pop.

"All Shook Down"? I love that album too but it's really just the first Westerberg solo LP. I'm looking forward to digging into that episode, actually.
gregpolard

Postby lewdd » Thu Jun 11, 2020 2:21 pm

Yes, All Shook Down.
lewdd

Postby JGJR » Fri Jun 12, 2020 10:30 am

gregpolard wrote:"All Shook Down"? I love that album too but it's really just the first Westerberg solo LP. I'm looking forward to digging into that episode, actually.

All of this.
JGJR

Postby version sound » Fri Jun 12, 2020 12:44 pm

Shit, I’ve listened to Sorry Ma..., Hootenanny, Tim, and Pleased to Meet Me in the last two days and suddenly appreciate the greatness of the Replacements. I’ve owned records and CDs by them going back to the early ‘80s, but for some reason, they never totally clicked until now. Now what the fuck do I do? My impulse is to buy all their goddamn records, but maybe I’m fine just streaming them? Or maybe I should at least get the Original Albums CD set with the first 5 LPs for $18? Sometimes finding new music you really like is just a pain in the ass...
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby lewdd » Fri Jun 12, 2020 2:09 pm

I just picked up the PTMM translucent blue vinyl earlier today that came out in 2020 on Rhino.
lewdd

Postby scannest » Fri Jun 12, 2020 2:19 pm

Buy the CD reissues. They sound great, the bonus stuff is worthwhile, there's decent liner notes, etc.
scannest

Postby version sound » Fri Jun 12, 2020 3:02 pm

scannest wrote:Buy the CD reissues. They sound great, the bonus stuff is worthwhile, there's decent liner notes, etc.

Problem: they are apparently out of print, and some of them are pretty pricey at this point (the only copy of the PTMM reissue on Discogs is $50).
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby lewdd » Fri Jun 12, 2020 3:17 pm

lewdd

Postby scannest » Fri Jun 12, 2020 4:16 pm

Yikes. I assumed you could still buy them new from Amazon for $7.99
scannest

Postby gregpolard » Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:24 pm

scannest wrote:Yikes. I assumed you could still buy them new from Amazon for $7.99

Yeah...I had them all and sold during my great cd purge of the early 10’s...literally the only ones I regret unloading. I have the vinyl box sets but they don’t have the extra liner notes or anything. Those could’ve been useful for the podcast haha
gregpolard

Postby gregpolard » Mon Jun 15, 2020 2:54 pm

Speaking of “Pleased To Meet Me”

https://www.target.com/p/the-replacemen ... A-80301956

Could a new box set be coming in October? On the Mats group I’m in on Facebook someone commented that Peter Jesperson said that they were working on an archival release for PTTM...
gregpolard

Postby version sound » Mon Jun 15, 2020 3:09 pm

The cheapest option for the deluxe CD is the Japanese pressing, which still ain’t cheap (which is the main reason I would choose CD over vinyl).
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby gregpolard » Mon Jun 15, 2020 3:11 pm

version sound wrote:The cheapest option for the deluxe CD is the Japanese pressing, which still ain’t cheap (which is the main reason I would choose CD over vinyl).

Like I said above, I will say that those are the ONLY cd's I sold that I regret. They were just really nicely done. The vinyl doesn't include any of the liner notes. They kept the vinyl pretty true to the originals I believe.

If this box set is real, I at least hope it's like Dead Mans Pop where there is a vinyl LP. I don't really want to buy a full CD box set in 2020, but I will if it comes down to it haha
gregpolard

Postby lewdd » Mon Jun 15, 2020 3:21 pm

I am curious to see what becomes of this potential PTMM expanded edition. I listened to the blue vinyl for a few songs during lunch today and it sounded pretty good. The vocals are a little down in the mix. Hopefully, the pre-amp will lift them up a little higher when it arrives tomorrow and I can hook it up and give it a spin.
lewdd

Postby scannest » Mon Jun 15, 2020 3:55 pm

I guess Dead Man's Pop did well enough to justify another box. I imagine it will follow a similar format.
scannest

Postby gregpolard » Mon Jun 15, 2020 3:59 pm

scannest wrote:I guess Dead Man's Pop did well enough to justify another box. I imagine it will follow a similar format.

Can you think of any stuff from that era that hasn't been released officially?
gregpolard

Postby scannest » Mon Jun 15, 2020 4:03 pm

gregpolard wrote:
scannest wrote:I guess Dead Man's Pop did well enough to justify another box. I imagine it will follow a similar format.

There was an EP and a bunch of b-sides/outtakes, but I think they were all on the CD reissue. I'm sure there's a decent live show they can dig up, but I always thought the soundboard from the Ritz was kinda dull (I was there - I thought the show was kinda dull)
scannest

Postby gregpolard » Mon Jun 15, 2020 4:41 pm

scannest wrote:
gregpolard wrote:

There was an EP and a bunch of b-sides/outtakes, but I think they were all on the CD reissue. I'm sure there's a decent live show they can dig up, but I always thought the soundboard from the Ritz was kinda dull (I was there - I thought the show was kinda dull)

Interesting. I guess we have to wait to see until it's officially announced. Pretty cool that it would come out only a year after DMP.
gregpolard

Postby lewdd » Tue Jun 16, 2020 1:04 pm

lewdd wrote:I am curious to see what becomes of this potential PTMM expanded edition. I listened to the blue vinyl for a few songs during lunch today and it sounded pretty good. The vocals are a little down in the mix. Hopefully, the pre-amp will lift them up a little higher when it arrives tomorrow and I can hook it up and give it a spin.

Pre-amp arrived about 30 minutes ago. I listened to 2.5 songs on side A and the pre-amp lifted the vocals to my liking. Better with the pre-amp than without. Now I need to figure out if I can remove the slight hum at higher volumes in between tracks.
lewdd

Postby version sound » Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:24 am

I just listened to Let It Be for the first time in a few years, and it’s pretty flawless. Might be my favorite after all. Too bad I sold my vinyl copy a couple of years ago...

Good news: just snagged a sealed copy of the reissue CD with bonus tracks for $10 shipped, so that’s sorted.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby gregpolard » Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:43 am

version sound wrote:I just listened to Let It Be for the first time in a few years, and it’s pretty flawless. Might be my favorite after all. Too bad I sold my vinyl copy a couple of years ago...

Good news: just snagged a sealed copy of the reissue CD with bonus tracks for $10 shipped, so that’s sorted.

I can't wait to do that episode.
gregpolard

Postby version sound » Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:00 am

gregpolard wrote:I can't hardly wait to do that episode.

Wrong record.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby gregpolard » Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:19 am

version sound wrote:
gregpolard wrote:I can't hardly wait to do that episode.

Wrong record.

Haha!

Speaking of, that album turns 33 today. I also found out that the repairs on my Macbook are covered under warranty so we will be recording Episode 4 tomorrow I believe.
gregpolard

Postby version sound » Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:15 am

gregpolard wrote:...we will be recording Episode 4 tomorrow I believe.

Looking forward to it.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

PreviousNext

Return to daghouse