Somethin To Du - Husker / Replacements podcast

Re: Somethin To Du - Husker / Replacements podcast

Postby JGJR » Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:26 am

scannest wrote:My quibble with Let it Be is with "Unsatisfied". Like "Hold My Life", it's a great chorus in search of a verse. "Sixteen Blue" is the great lost ballad - one his most underrated songs. Beautiful lyric, music and vocal performance.

Insane re: "Unsatisfied" and "Hold My Life"; my only quibble is the existence of "Gary's Got a Boner." It's perfect otherwise imo. Agreed on "Sixteen Blue," but I'd take "Androgynous." It might be his best ballad overall; incredible song.
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby JGJR » Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:34 am

lewdd wrote:"A Good Idea" is one of my top 100 songs probably

You must be a Pixies fan, too, then? I love that one and the entirety of Copper Blue, but for me it's "Changes" and "Fortune Teller" all the way as far as favorites.
JGJR

Postby gregpolard » Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:35 am

JGJR wrote:
scannest wrote:My quibble with Let it Be is with "Unsatisfied". Like "Hold My Life", it's a great chorus in search of a verse. "Sixteen Blue" is the great lost ballad - one his most underrated songs. Beautiful lyric, music and vocal performance.

Insane re: "Unsatisfied" and "Hold My Life"; my only quibble is the existence of "Gary's Got a Boner." It's perfect otherwise imo. Agreed on "Sixteen Blue," but I'd take "Androgynous." It might be his best ballad overall; incredible song.

I think scannest is spot on with that assessment. The thing is...the choruses are so good on both that they make the songs my favorites even without a stellar verse haha
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby JGJR » Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:36 am

gregpolard wrote:
version sound wrote:Listened to FUEL today and liked it much more than the last (first) time I listened to it. I could hear the shoegazer influence more this time around. I’d definitely buy it at the dollar store.

HAHA! I still can't believe they had that there, honestly. So weird.

I can. It was EVERYWHERE in the '90s and '00s at every dollar bin used CD section in almost every store I went into or it felt like it at least. Ryko just pressed up way too many copies. Still a really cool find, though; the unexpected ones are sometimes the best.
JGJR

Postby JGJR » Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:39 am

gregpolard wrote:
JGJR wrote:

I think scannest is spot on with that assessment. The thing is...the choruses are so good on both that they make the songs my favorites even without a stellar verse haha

He's kinda right with "Unsatisfied" and like VS, I've just never really thought about it that way, but what I meant is that it doesn't affect my enjoyment of either song one iota.

You already know my hot take re: PTMM: "Nightclub Jitters" but "Alex Chilton" and "The Ledge" are very close as is "Skyway." What a brilliant record.

LiB: it's gotta be "Tommy Got His Tonsils Out," We're Comin' Out" or "Androgynous" if I'm in a sappier/more serious mood.
JGJR

Postby lewdd » Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:43 am

JGJR wrote:

You must be a Pixies fan, too, then? I love that one and the entirety of Copper Blue, but for me it's "Changes" and "Fortune Teller" all the way as far as favorites.

Uh, no!
lewdd

Postby JGJR » Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:59 am

lewdd wrote:
JGJR wrote:

Uh, no!

You should reevaluate them if you haven't done that lately; that song ("A Good Idea") is very explicitly influenced by them (Pixies).
JGJR

Postby version sound » Tue Aug 04, 2020 12:45 pm

JGJR wrote:
lewdd wrote:
JGJR wrote:

Uh, no!

You should reevaluate them if you haven't done that lately; that song ("A Good Idea") is very explicitly influenced by them (Pixies).

Holy shit. When I listened to Copper Blue a week or so ago, I wasn’t paying super close attention, and when this song came on, I thought “oh, I didn’t remember them doing a Pixies cover.” That song is a complete homage to the point that it’s nearly a rip off.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby scannest » Tue Aug 04, 2020 1:48 pm

JGJR wrote:Insane re: "Unsatisfied" and "Hold My Life"

When you're interviewed on a podcast about all things Replacements, we'll talk. Until then...
"It's got some great chanting on it" - gregpolard.
scannest

Postby JGJR » Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:03 pm

version sound wrote:
JGJR wrote:
lewdd wrote:
JGJR wrote:

Uh, no!

Holy shit. When I listened to Copper Blue a week or so ago, I wasn’t paying super close attention, and when this song came on, I thought “oh, I didn’t remember them doing a Pixies cover.” That song is a complete homage to the point that it’s nearly a rip off.

Winner winner (tempeh) chicken dinner. That's exactly why I mentioned it. IIRC, Bob admitted it in his book and probably elsewhere, too.
JGJR

Postby JGJR » Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:05 pm

scannest wrote:

When you're interviewed on a podcast about all things Replacements, we'll talk. Until then...

I didn't read your original post closely enough; honestly, now I'm glad you mentioned that as I'd never thought about that before re: the verses and choruses. I initially thought you didn't dig em for that reason (weak verses). But whatever. It's all opinions and like you know what, everyone has one. :lol:
JGJR

Postby xxxHunterxxx » Wed Aug 05, 2020 6:28 pm

I listened to the Scanny episode on my evening bike ride. The conversation was fun and interesting and flowed really well. It was like going out to dinner with my friends (while gagged). Great job, Grelg, Scanny, and Jude. I’m excited to check out the other episodes.
World’s biggest Snakes fan.
xxxHunterxxx

Postby xxxHunterxxx » Wed Aug 05, 2020 6:30 pm

scannest wrote:

“Next week, on a very special 37-hour episode of ‘Something to Du ‘ . . . .”
World’s biggest Snakes fan.
xxxHunterxxx

Postby JGJR » Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:36 pm

xxxHunterxxx wrote:I listened to the Scanny episode on my evening bike ride. The conversation was fun and interesting and flowed really well. It was like going out to dinner with my friends (while gagged). Great job, Grelg, Scanny, and Jude. I’m excited to check out the other episodes.

I just listened to it earlier today as well. I loved it, particularly the references to the board and the descriptions of all of the '80s shows. I wish I could hear scannest a little better at times due to the connection, but if I have any (very minor complaint, it is that. With that said, maybe it's partly because I listened to it when I was outside walking and riding the bus?

Also,
1) Elvis Costello's Mighty Like a Rose is a GREAT album; I realize that's a minority opinion, but I bet it would be better-liked if he hadn't had that crazy beard then. I wish I could've seen that tour. I have a good friend who did and said EC was great (not sure who opened but it was at the Garden State Arts Center in Holmdel, so maybe it was The Replacements)?

2) I have had entire conversations about Bono's mid '80s power mullet. I call it the "New Romantic mullet." :lol:

3) I always liked "We'll Inherit the Earth" and don't get the hate at all tbh.

4) I was disappointed in the Philly show on the Replacements reunion tour in 2015, but I know Greg (who I went with) and especially Jude disagreed strongly with me. I think my perspective was greatly skewed by watching the Forest Hills set beforehand. They destroyed and I wanted something like that, that rare 1/12 completely balls to the wall set where they didn't fuck around at all. The Philly show was good and I'm glad I finally got to see them after wanting to for 25 years at that point (now 30 since I first got into them; crazy), but I agree that it was missing something.
JGJR

Postby JGJR » Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:36 pm

xxxHunterxxx wrote:
scannest wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol:
JGJR

Postby lewdd » Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:01 pm

I'm assuming that Greg new about this site already, but if not it may give you quite a few more episodes of your podcast if you disect every show. This was the only time I saw the Replacements.

http://replacementslivearchive.blogspot ... -hall.html
lewdd

Postby drew » Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:35 pm

The episode with scannest was great. The Staten Island love was the best part :D Of course, who really needs to hear more about Midge and Sleeper... :roll:

Very cool. I’ll get to the other eps soon.....hopefully
drew

Postby gregpolard » Fri Aug 07, 2020 4:36 pm

lewdd wrote:I'm assuming that Greg new about this site already, but if not it may give you quite a few more episodes of your podcast if you disect every show. This was the only time I saw the Replacements.

http://replacementslivearchive.blogspot ... -hall.html

Thank you!
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby gregpolard » Fri Aug 07, 2020 4:36 pm

drew wrote:The episode with scannest was great. The Staten Island love was the best part :D Of course, who really needs to hear more about Midge and Sleeper... :roll:

Very cool. I’ll get to the other eps soon.....hopefully

haha! Glad you dug, my friend! Hopefully you enjoy the others.
gregpolard

Postby gregpolard » Fri Aug 07, 2020 4:37 pm

xxxHunterxxx wrote:
scannest wrote:

Part 1 would be 37 hours.....covering the first year of discovery of the bands.
gregpolard

Postby JGJR » Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:23 pm

gregpolard wrote:
xxxHunterxxx wrote:
scannest wrote:

Part 1 would be 37 hours.....covering the first year of discovery of the bands.

Pfft; part 1 would be just on their previous bands.
JGJR

Postby gregpolard » Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:53 am

Neglected to mention, NEW DAY RISING episode out now!
gregpolard

Postby aquaman » Wed Aug 12, 2020 12:19 pm

Listened last night. I would be fine to sit in a room and have the guy chat about this type of stuff while I listened but putting on headphones and listening, not really for me, I guess that's why I don't dive in on the podcast world...which says nothing about the quality of Greg and his podcast.

For those that may be interested, the key when I bought Scanny the Westerberg guitar was that I wanted it to have the box too. That was the hardest part of the hunt. Spoiler, I only paid $70 for the guitar AND a small amp....I did not send him the amp for his Bday. The key to finding the guitar on places like offerup or craiglist is to search for either the model number or to misspell Westerberg in your search if you want a bargain.
aquaman

Postby lewdd » Wed Aug 12, 2020 12:45 pm

aquaman wrote:Listened last night. I would be fine to sit in a room and have the guy chat about this type of stuff while I listened but putting on headphones and listening, not really for me, I guess that's why I don't dive in on the podcast world...which says nothing about the quality of Greg and his podcast.

I am similar. I just can't get into the spoken word without seeing a face.
lewdd

Postby gregpolard » Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:06 pm

aquaman wrote:Listened last night. I would be fine to sit in a room and have the guy chat about this type of stuff while I listened but putting on headphones and listening, not really for me, I guess that's why I don't dive in on the podcast world...which says nothing about the quality of Greg and his podcast.

For those that may be interested, the key when I bought Scanny the Westerberg guitar was that I wanted it to have the box too. That was the hardest part of the hunt. Spoiler, I only paid $70 for the guitar AND a small amp....I did not send him the amp for his Bday. The key to finding the guitar on places like offerup or craiglist is to search for either the model number or to misspell Westerberg in your search if you want a bargain.

Thank you! I was honestly wondering about that guitar. Appreciate the tips....I need to find one for myself.
gregpolard

Postby version sound » Wed Aug 12, 2020 3:28 pm

lewdd wrote:

I guess you guys never listened to talk radio? I grew up with my dad playing NPR in the car and continued the tradition myself for many years. To me, listening to podcasts is just like listening to the Saturday non-news shows on NPR.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby lewdd » Wed Aug 12, 2020 4:11 pm

version sound wrote:
lewdd wrote:

I guess you guys never listened to talk radio? I grew up with my dad playing NPR in the car and continued the tradition myself for many years. To me, listening to podcasts is just like listening to the Saturday non-news shows on NPR.

No, I listened to Casey Casum Top 40 as a kid. My wife listens to talk radio a lot. I can't stand it.
lewdd

Postby version sound » Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:57 am

Greg, I have the same brain hole for music trivia. I remember when I met Hunter and Pedro, I felt like fucking rain man when we talked about music. I mean, those guys know plenty about music themselves, but I felt like an obsessive 12 year old fanboy compared to them.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby gregpolard » Tue Aug 18, 2020 12:12 pm

version sound wrote:Greg, I have the same brain hole for music trivia. I remember when I met Hunter and Pedro, I felt like fucking rain man when we talked about music. I mean, those guys know plenty about music themselves, but I felt like an obsessive 12 year old fanboy compared to them.

It's a blessing and a curse.

I'm really excited for the next episode where we talk to Bob Mehr, author of Trouble Boys. It came out great!
gregpolard

Postby scannest » Mon Aug 24, 2020 8:59 am

Greg is obviously much too important to spending time around here, now that he's got frickin' BOB MEHR on the podcast!

Anyway, Bob Mehr is the latest guest.
scannest

Postby gregpolard » Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:25 am

scannest wrote:Greg is obviously much too important to spending time around here, now that he's got frickin' BOB MEHR on the podcast!

Anyway, Bob Mehr is the latest guest.

Thanks so much, bud! He was so cool and easy to talk to. Hope you dig the convo.
gregpolard

Postby scannest » Mon Aug 24, 2020 11:26 am

After listening I can say that I am much more excited about the PtMM box set than I was before. So much I even pre-ordered the thing.
scannest

Postby lewdd » Mon Aug 24, 2020 11:27 am

scannest wrote:After listening I can say that I am much more excited about the PtMM box set than I was before. So much I even pre-ordered the thing.

What changed your mind?
lewdd

Postby scannest » Mon Aug 24, 2020 12:16 pm

lewdd wrote:What changed your mind?

He provided insights into the thought process behind collecting and presenting the materials that made it much more interesting to me.
scannest

Postby gregpolard » Mon Aug 24, 2020 1:20 pm

scannest wrote:After listening I can say that I am much more excited about the PtMM box set than I was before. So much I even pre-ordered the thing.

That's awesome! Glad you dug the interview. I was super nervous for this one. More than any other one I've done to date for either podcast.
gregpolard

Postby gregpolard » Mon Aug 24, 2020 1:21 pm

And have no fear, I was already corrected on a piece of Jack Rabid minutia by JGJR :lol:
gregpolard

Postby version sound » Mon Aug 24, 2020 4:10 pm

Listened to this, then the episode of My Favorite Album with Bob O. that’s been referenced more than once. Both gave me a new perspective on and appreciation for the Replacements. I can really identify with the eternal fuck-up angle, musically, at least.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby gregpolard » Mon Aug 24, 2020 4:16 pm

version sound wrote:Listened to this, then the episode of My Favorite Album with Bob O. that’s been referenced more than once. Both gave me a new perspective on and appreciation for the Replacements. I can really identify with the eternal fuck-up angle, musically, at least.

Loved that Odenkirk interview. He really nails it.
gregpolard

Postby gregpolard » Tue Sep 08, 2020 8:19 am

Sorry for the delay, new episode is up where we discuss "Tim". We're moving to bi-monthly for a bit as announced on the episode but have no fear, we still pledge to offer the same quality of content!
gregpolard

Postby JGJR » Thu Sep 10, 2020 12:44 pm

gregpolard wrote:
version sound wrote:Listened to this, then the episode of My Favorite Album with Bob O. that’s been referenced more than once. Both gave me a new perspective on and appreciation for the Replacements. I can really identify with the eternal fuck-up angle, musically, at least.

Loved that Odenkirk interview. He really nails it.

I listened to it a few weeks ago as well. I think he REALLY gets the Replacements, but doesn't get punk/hardcore at all.
JGJR

Postby scannest » Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:37 pm

JGJR wrote:I listened to it a few weeks ago as well. I think he REALLY gets the Replacements, but doesn't get punk/hardcore at all.

I have no idea what your point is. Yer gonna have to explain. Or not. The world will keep spinning regardless.
scannest

Postby gregpolard » Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:41 am

scannest wrote:
JGJR wrote:I listened to it a few weeks ago as well. I think he REALLY gets the Replacements, but doesn't get punk/hardcore at all.

I have no idea what your point is. Yer gonna have to explain. Or not. The world will keep spinning regardless.

He could explain, but it's going to take 17 paragraphs and 43 parenthetical asides... :lol:
gregpolard

Postby JGJR » Fri Sep 11, 2020 7:45 pm

scannest wrote:

At various times throughout the interview, which I nevertheless thoroughly enjoyed, he kept referring to the differences between the Mats and most other punk bands and I think he did that to put most punk bands in one big blanket category. It was kind of annoying, but no big deal.

BTW, I had the cacio y pepe slice today. It didn't suck. :D
JGJR

Postby scannest » Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:51 pm

JGJR wrote:BTW, I had the cacio y pepe slice today. It didn't suck. :D

Mama's Too? Yes, it's amazing. Shame I am rarely on the upper west side.
scannest

Postby JGJR » Sun Sep 13, 2020 11:51 am

scannest wrote:
JGJR wrote:BTW, I had the cacio y pepe slice today. It didn't suck. :D

Mama's Too? Yes, it's amazing. Shame I am rarely on the upper west side.

Yes. I recall you mentioning it somewhere on the internets recently (probably Instagram). I am in that area frequently (I live in the uptown Manhattan/Bronx area), so I have been there about 4-5 times now. All the slices I've tried there are amazing.
JGJR

Postby version sound » Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:53 am

What’s going on with this pod, Greg? The Rev podcast is great and all, but honestly, I enjoy this one more.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby gregpolard » Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:09 am

version sound wrote:What’s going on with this pod, Greg? The Rev podcast is great and all, but honestly, I enjoy this one more.

So because of Jude's schedule during the school year and now mine with WIW, we are scaling back a bit but we're doing an episode on the new Mould that should hit by end of month!

Where It Went takes up wayyyyy more time than I could have anticipated. I'm usually doing stuff while working my regular job, then after hours. But it's a labor of love.
gregpolard

Postby scannest » Wed Oct 21, 2020 6:43 am

Yeah, Greg is chasing the big podcast money with that Rev thing and letting the Mats/Du's fall by the wayside. Figures.
scannest

Postby gregpolard » Wed Oct 21, 2020 6:46 am

scannest wrote:Yeah, Greg is chasing the big podcast money with that Rev thing and letting the Mats/Du's fall by the wayside. Figures.

It's all part of the plan...(I wish!)

Ironically until this past weekend when we normally would have recorded, most times we have to reschedule on Jude's behalf since he's a college professor and during the school year is very hectic for him. I'm super excited to talk about the new Bob album though and then maybe the new Mats box....which is finally supposed to be here TODAY even though it's been out for almost two weeks.
gregpolard

Postby version sound » Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:39 am

All I can say is that I sat through an entire episode about the FOO FIGHTERS, so I think I’ve proved that I’m more dedicated to this podcast than either host at this point.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

PreviousNext

Return to daghouse