Somethin To Du - Husker / Replacements podcast

Somethin To Du - Husker / Replacements podcast

Postby gregpolard » Tue May 19, 2020 2:04 pm

Figured some of you might be into this but a friend and I started a podcast (first episode hopefully end of this month, early next) focused on the Mats/Huskers and adjacent stuff. Give a follow on IG @somethintodupodcast if you feel so inclined. We want to have guests come on and talk about their shared love (I'm specifically looking at you scannest and creature) if interested. More to come!
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Re: Somethin To Du - Husker / Replacements podcast

Postby scannest » Tue May 19, 2020 2:12 pm

Just saw this on IG. Very excited. If be honored to take part in any small way that you saw fit.
"It's got some great chanting on it" - gregpolard.
scannest

Postby gregpolard » Tue May 19, 2020 2:18 pm

scannest wrote:Just saw this on IG. Very excited. If be honored to take part in any small way that you saw fit.

You were already on the list before we even announced! :)

The way we'll do it is guests pick one or the other to talk about, then can always come back for a part two. I used my stimulus check to buy a new MacBook since we had no working computer here and also bought a nice mic/headphone set up. I've had this podcast idea in my head for probably 2 years so I'm very excited!
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby FlexMyHead » Wed May 20, 2020 7:14 am

I'm sure you will do great research and so forth and I'm guessing you already know this site, but I use it all the time whenever I have a Husker Du question (record release, show date, guitar tab etc):

http://www.thirdav.com/hddb.shtml
FlexMyHead

Postby captain2man » Wed May 20, 2020 7:25 am

This sounds awesome. I'll definitely be listening. Good luck with this!
captain2man

Postby Nico » Wed May 20, 2020 7:56 am

Interesting! I hardly ever listen to the Replacements and I love and listen to Husker Du all the time. Curious about the end result.
Nico

Postby gregpolard » Wed May 20, 2020 8:00 am

Thanks for all the kind words, everyone!
gregpolard

Postby gregpolard » Wed May 20, 2020 8:10 am

FlexMyHead wrote:I'm sure you will do great research and so forth and I'm guessing you already know this site, but I use it all the time whenever I have a Husker Du question (record release, show date, guitar tab etc):

http://www.thirdav.com/hddb.shtml

Funny you ask. I just got an email from a gentleman who runs the Bob subthread reddit and he asked if I would have the guy who runs this site on the show if possible, to which I said "Of course".
gregpolard

Postby Hal » Wed May 20, 2020 8:45 am

Excited to listen. Good luck Greg!
Hal

Postby lewdd » Wed May 20, 2020 9:52 am

Looking forward to listening to the first episode. I think this is something I may want to do when I retire, but who knows, maybe it will happen before then.
lewdd

Postby gregpolard » Wed May 20, 2020 11:06 am

I just got an email from a massive Replacements fan who was mentioned in the NYT today because he EXPLORES THE TITANIC. How cool is that???

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/20/us/t ... graph.html
gregpolard

Postby version sound » Wed May 20, 2020 11:16 am

Looking forward to this. I like both bands, but I’m not a mega-fan of either, so I will be able to enjoy it without getting bent out of shape if you guys have different opinions than I do.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby JGJR » Wed May 20, 2020 3:34 pm

Very excited about this!
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby gregpolard » Tue May 26, 2020 6:48 pm

First episode was recorded yesterday. We're cleaning it up a bit and hope to have it out ASAP!
gregpolard

Postby lewdd » Tue May 26, 2020 7:07 pm

is it only going to be available on instagram
lewdd

Postby FlexMyHead » Wed May 27, 2020 8:53 am

lewdd wrote:is it only going to be available on instagram

I heard it was going to be posted only on Pintrest but you have to pass a quiz to get access.

The text of the podcast was going to be posted on Twitter but since they now started censoring our favorite president, they are considering Gab.
FlexMyHead

Postby gregpolard » Wed May 27, 2020 10:18 am

Does IG host podcasts? In any case, nope. It will be on Itunes first then others.
gregpolard

Postby lewdd » Wed May 27, 2020 11:47 am

gregpolard wrote:

Does IG host podcasts? In any case, nope. It will be on Itunes first then others.

I don't use IG or ITunes so I guess I will be missing out. I would listen on Spotify.
lewdd

Postby gregpolard » Wed May 27, 2020 12:29 pm

lewdd wrote:
gregpolard wrote:

I don't use IG or ITunes so I guess I will be missing out. I would listen on Spotify.

From my limited knowledge of how it works, I think it goes on iTunes first and then after a few episodes it can go on Spotify? I'm not really sure! My co-host is handling that part!
gregpolard

Postby lewdd » Wed May 27, 2020 12:45 pm

Let us know where to find it when it is up and ready for listening. How long is the episode?
lewdd

Postby gregpolard » Wed May 27, 2020 2:28 pm

lewdd wrote:Let us know where to find it when it is up and ready for listening. How long is the episode?

First one is 40 mins. At max they will be an hour depending
gregpolard

Postby lewdd » Wed May 27, 2020 2:30 pm

I could probably handle something up to an hour. I seem to get distracted if its longer than that.
lewdd

Postby earthdog70 » Wed May 27, 2020 7:19 pm

Thread hi-jack. Take a listen to this cover of "Sixteen Blue" by The Dirty Truckers:

https://rumbarrecords.bandcamp.com/album/second-dose

Drummer John Lynch also plays in The Neighborhoods :arrow:
"And so it goes."-Kurt Vonnegut
earthdog70

Postby gregpolard » Wed May 27, 2020 7:35 pm

First episode is up! I'm not sure how long it takes to go to the normal podcast listening places but this link should work in the meantime:

https://s162.podbean.com/pb/47716ed1aeb ... 44ca418658
gregpolard

Postby lewdd » Wed May 27, 2020 8:23 pm

tell the other guy to quit saying "like" so much
lewdd

Postby gregpolard » Wed May 27, 2020 8:25 pm

lewdd wrote:tell the other guy to quit saying "like" so much

Cmon man. Be nice haha

He’s a college English professor btw. It’s our first run at it.
gregpolard

Postby lewdd » Wed May 27, 2020 8:58 pm

One of you had some background noise going on in your mic too.
lewdd

Postby lewdd » Wed May 27, 2020 8:59 pm

Other than that, it was an interesting first episode. I like the theme approach going forward. You have some interesting approaches that should keep the show unique for awhile. good luck.
lewdd

Postby gregpolard » Wed May 27, 2020 8:59 pm

lewdd wrote:One of you had some background noise going on in your mic too.

Thanks. First try. We will figure everything out as it goes.
gregpolard

Postby version sound » Thu May 28, 2020 9:34 am

That was pretty enjoyable. Did I hear right that you aren’t covering the records in any particular order?
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby gregpolard » Thu May 28, 2020 9:35 am

Episode 2 will be "Candy Apple Grey" by Husker Du. Hopefully recording this weekend!

thank you! and yep! I kinda got the idea from "Pod of Thunder" where they go through the whole KISS catalog song by song but it was random. We figured this way it can be more evenly distributed between bands and we have more freedom that way. The interview episodes will also break things up.
gregpolard

Postby scannest » Thu May 28, 2020 4:03 pm

I really enjoyed the first episode. You managed to avoid 99% of the stuff that makes most "homemade" podcasts a chore to listen to. Looking forward to future episodes!
"It's got some great chanting on it" - gregpolard.
scannest

Postby gregpolard » Thu May 28, 2020 4:16 pm

scannest wrote:I really enjoyed the first episode. You managed to avoid 99% of the stuff that makes most "homemade" podcasts a chore to listen to. Looking forward to future episodes!

Thanks scannest! As I was just telling creature - once the ball is really rolling in the next several weeks we want to have you each on - you for Mats and creature for Huskers.

I'm also going to make sure my 10 year old isn't allowed to watch TV in the other room while recording - upon playback I realize that is what the background noise was. Oops!
gregpolard

Postby lewdd » Thu May 28, 2020 4:17 pm

scannest wrote:I really enjoyed the first episode. You managed to avoid 99% of the stuff that makes most "homemade" podcasts a chore to listen to. Looking forward to future episodes!

Did you book a date for your interview for the show yet?
lewdd

Postby gregpolard » Thu May 28, 2020 4:20 pm

lewdd wrote:

Did you book a date for your interview for the show yet?

We need to! I've gotta talk to my co-host and work with his schedule (he's got a 4 year old and an 11 month old and he's also a college professor)

Of course last night after I uploaded the episode I noticed that my brand new Macbook has an issue w/ the screen - so in the next few weeks I"ll need to send it away so we're trying to record a few episodes before then to stagger out.
gregpolard

Postby gregpolard » Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:16 pm

Episode 2 is now live, here: https://somethintodu.podbean.com/e/epis ... pple-grey/

Heads up: there's a little bit of Zoom related glitchiness but we're a DIY operation so what can you do?

I submit to iTunes and I'm hoping by tomorrow it's up there. I'm told Spotify won't take until we have 5 episodes. What other places should we get this fed to?
gregpolard

Postby garth » Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:41 pm

I mainly use Sticher
garth

Postby lewdd » Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:41 pm

anyone aware of any websites that list the complete studio recordings or studio releases for husker du and/or the replacements?

i did a google search and found one for husker du that looks pretty comprehensive but nothing for the replacements. im not looking for wiki or discogs listings at this point either. looking for something like this one

http://www.thirdav.com/hd_discog/01_commercial.html
lewdd

Postby gregpolard » Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:45 am

garth wrote:I mainly use Sticher

Thank you. Trying to get it on there but having some issues. Will keep trying!
gregpolard

Postby gregpolard » Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:46 am

lewdd wrote:anyone aware of any websites that list the complete studio recordings or studio releases for husker du and/or the replacements?

i did a google search and found one for husker du that looks pretty comprehensive but nothing for the replacements. im not looking for wiki or discogs listings at this point either. looking for something like this one

http://www.thirdav.com/hd_discog/01_commercial.html

Great question. Thirdav.com has been an valuable resource for us but I don’t think anything like that exists for the Mats. If it does, I need to find it!
gregpolard

Postby gregpolard » Wed Jun 03, 2020 2:26 pm

The first episode is up on iTunes now. Not sure when the second will feed over. Please subscribe and rate if you feel so inclined!
gregpolard

Postby version sound » Thu Jun 04, 2020 8:17 am

Another fun listen. I disagree with a lot of your opinions, but given the fact that I’m not a Grant fan at all, with a few exceptions (very few), that’s bound to be the case with any fan with a more balanced love of HD. Even though I’m definitely a fan, I don’t really have any deep sentimental attachment to their music, so I don’t get riled up about like I might a Dischord record.

Looking forward to some Replacements content - a band I like but have even less of an attachment to, so I can be pretty objective with them. My introduction to the Replacements: I bought their first single in ‘82 or ‘83 and literally threw it down a flight of stairs because it was not punk rock enough for me (keep in mind that I was 10 or 11 at the time).
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby lewdd » Thu Jun 04, 2020 8:39 am

I do find it funny how some people have a Grant or a Bob favorite for song writer in Husker Du. I have no idea who wrote what songs and have no interest in looking it up. I suspect maybe there is a difference in styles or vocals or lyrics or something.

I know I went thru the Husker Du catalog once and picked out my favorite songs, but I can't find that list. So, I will be doing it again. Greg's podcast has provoked me to want to do that. I also want to add that to my playlists on my new streaming device on my stereo so it serves me two purposes. I plan to do the same with the Replacements as soon as Greg finds that internet archive of their catalog for me. ;)
lewdd

Postby version sound » Thu Jun 04, 2020 8:44 am

The Bob/Grant differences became more pronounced as the band progressed. Two songs that really illustrate the differences (to me, at least) would be “59 Times the Pain” (Bob) and “Books About UFOs” (Grant) from New Day Rising. Bob is definitely more punk/rock and Grant is much more pop.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby gregpolard » Thu Jun 04, 2020 8:55 am

Thanks for the thoughts, fellas!

Next week's episode is "Pleased To Meet Me" by the Replacements. Looking forward to it!
gregpolard

Postby JGJR » Fri Jun 05, 2020 1:27 pm

version sound wrote:The Bob/Grant differences became more pronounced as the band progressed. Two songs that really illustrate the differences (to me, at least) would be “59 Times the Pain” (Bob) and “Books About UFOs” (Grant) from New Day Rising. Bob is definitely more punk/rock and Grant is much more pop.

I just wanted to point out that "Dead Set on Destruction" (my favorite Grant song on Candy Apple Grey, the subject of episode 2) was basically the template for Swervedriver's "Planes over the Skyline." It's my favorite B-side of theirs and that was before I found that out. Now I know why.

Anyway, CAG is a record that's grown on me a bunch over the years. I always liked the Grant stuff, but thought the Bob portion weak. I still think the uptempo punk ongs he wrote for it aren't his best, but his ballads/quieter/more introspective material are excellent; it's clear that he was capable of something like Workbook a few years later.
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby version sound » Fri Jun 05, 2020 5:20 pm

Funny, when I think about HD’s influence on Swervedriver, I always think about Bob songs like “Chartered Trips” and “Newest Industry.”
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby lewdd » Sat Jun 06, 2020 2:21 pm

After a quick spin through the entire Husker Du catalog, I came up with 35 songs that I like which seems to be a fraction of what they released. Of these 35, there are probably 5 or so that I think are really, really great songs. So, obviously, I am not as big of a fan as others, but that didn't surprise me because I never really got into this band and mostly enjoy their major label stuff. The only song missing from the playlist is from the Blasting Concept II "Erase Today". You guys that are the subject matter experts can tell me if Bob or Grant is my favorite song writer based on the playlist.

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/221nK ... RiVKQSeCXQ
lewdd

Postby version sound » Sat Jun 06, 2020 6:47 pm

That’s Bob
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby captain2man » Sat Jun 06, 2020 6:59 pm

lewdd wrote:After a quick spin through the entire Husker Du catalog, I came up with 35 songs that I like which seems to be a fraction of what they released. Of these 35, there are probably 5 or so that I think are really, really great songs. So, obviously, I am not as big of a fan as others, but that didn't surprise me because I never really got into this band and mostly enjoy their major label stuff. The only song missing from the playlist is from the Blasting Concept II "Erase Today". You guys that are the subject matter experts can tell me if Bob or Grant is my favorite song writer based on the playlist.

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/221nK ... RiVKQSeCXQ

Bob by a mile as far as your playlist goes - only a handful of those are Grant songs - Every Everything (also the title of a great doc about Grant), Don't Want To Know If You Are Lonely, Sorry Somehow, No Promise Have I Made, and Actual Condition.

So it looks like it's Bob 30, Grant 5.

Interestingly, three of the Grant songs you chose are from Candy Apple Grey....which, in my opinion, is the one album where Grant absolutely brought the better songs. All four of Grant's songs on that album are gems, and I think Bob's material is some of the weakest he wrote in Husker.

But I'm a huge Grant fan and always loved his songs just as much as Bob's - which is probably why Husker is one of my favorite all-time bands. I think Grant was every bit as talented as Bob - but was far more troubled, introverted, and a victim of his own demons. Bob cleaned himself up and has been unbelievably prolific and focused on his career post-Husker.

Meanwhile, Grant could only muster four actual solo albums (and two Nova Mob records) in all the years since Husker broke up. Bob has put out six albums in the last 12 years. But they're all worth hearing. He was a delicate and troubled soul - but immensely talented.
captain2man

Next

Return to daghouse