Somethin To Du - Husker / Replacements podcast

Re: Somethin To Du - Husker / Replacements podcast

Postby gregpolard » Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:16 am

version sound wrote:All I can say is that I sat through an entire episode about the FOO FIGHTERS, so I think I’ve proved that I’m more dedicated to this podcast than either host at this point.

AHHAHAHA I'm assuming you side with Jude on that one.
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby version sound » Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:37 am

gregpolard wrote:
version sound wrote:All I can say is that I sat through an entire episode about the FOO FIGHTERS, so I think I’ve proved that I’m more dedicated to this podcast than either host at this point.

AHHAHAHA I'm assuming you side with Jude on that one.

Pretty much, though I didn’t have the initial period when I was into them (though I liked a few of the early songs I heard). Dave G seems like a great guy, but FF isn’t my bag.

It just goes to show that you guys are engaging enough as hosts that I’ll listen to you talking about anything. Not so much the case with Javier, who seems like a nice enough guy, but is almost my complete opposite taste wise.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby scannest » Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:08 am

I have to catch up on that one.
W/R/T FF, I'll give them the first 3 LP's, plus WASTING LIGHT. Much like Mr. Grohl himself, they've gotten kinda bloated and boring in recent years.
"It's got some great chanting on it" - gregpolard.
scannest

Postby JGJR » Wed Oct 21, 2020 3:44 pm

I listen to the Foo Fighters episode last week. My opinion is similar to Jude's and VS', but I like some stuff on the 1st 3 records and have never owned them or even knowingly heard them in their entirety. I still enjoyed the heck out of that episode, though!
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby gregpolard » Mon Nov 02, 2020 10:29 am

New Episode up now! Bob Mould "Blue Hearts". Jude and I recorded it last night and decided we wanted it out in time for Election Day given the lyrical content so there's no editing...its up and ready, warts and all.

Up next in hopefully 2 weeks and not a month is the "Pleased To Meet Me" deluxe box set episode
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby FlexMyHead » Thu Nov 05, 2020 4:56 pm

I got the Bob Mould Box Set (part 1) today! Too tired to fuck with listening to it tonight though...

FlexMyHead

Postby Marc M » Thu Nov 12, 2020 9:38 pm

Apologies if this has already been posted here. This is amazing.

https://youtu.be/3RMJwwl0h0U

Bob Mould & Peter Buck doing Cinnamon Girl by Neil Young followed by Surrender by Cheap Trick.
Marc M

Postby scannest » Wed Feb 10, 2021 3:05 pm

scannest wrote:W/R/T FF, I'll give them the first 3 LP's, plus WASTING LIGHT. Much like Mr. Grohl himself, they've gotten kinda bloated and boring in recent years.

UPDATE: I really like the new Foo Fighters record. For reals! It only has one portentous, overblown ballad and the other ballad has got a '70s AM Gold vibe going, complete with breathy, "I'm Not in Love" backing vocals. The remaining 7 tunes are all rockers. On the front end they're going for something a little funky, like Dave listened to a lot of Prince and instead wound up writing songs that that sound like Beck circa "Midnite Vultures" on steroids (not nearly as funny, though). On the back end the songs are more straight forward, think Queens of the Stone Age with all the deliberate weirdo bits removed. The last tune is actual pretty damn close to Cheap Trick-y power pop, which is something they haven't done well in a long time. And it's all over in 36 fuckin' minutes! Win Win!
scannest

Postby gregpolard » Wed Feb 10, 2021 3:29 pm

scannest wrote:
scannest wrote:W/R/T FF, I'll give them the first 3 LP's, plus WASTING LIGHT. Much like Mr. Grohl himself, they've gotten kinda bloated and boring in recent years.

UPDATE: I really like the new Foo Fighters record. For reals! It only has one portentous, overblown ballad and the other ballad has got a '70s AM Gold vibe going, complete with breathy, "I'm Not in Love" backing vocals. The remaining 7 tunes are all rockers. On the front end they're going for something a little funky, like Dave listened to a lot of Prince and instead wound up writing songs that that sound like Beck circa "Midnite Vultures" on steroids (not nearly as funny, though). On the back end the songs are more straight forward, think Queens of the Stone Age with all the deliberate weirdo bits removed. The last tune is actual pretty damn close to Cheap Trick-y power pop, which is something they haven't done well in a long time. And it's all over in 36 fuckin' minutes! Win Win!

Ok...I've gotta give it a listen. The lead off single did nothing for me. Blair at Siren Records told me over the weekend that it's decent as well so that's two people who's opinions I respect.

On the pod front - FLIP YOUR WIG episode being recorded this weekend. Jude said I can blame him for the delay, but it's really both of us. Can't wait as this is one of my all time favorite albums.
gregpolard

Postby scannest » Wed Feb 10, 2021 3:39 pm

gregpolard wrote:Ok...I've gotta give it a listen. The lead off single did nothing for me. Blair at Siren Records told me over the weekend that it's decent as well so that's two people who's opinions I respect.

One of those singles was "Waiting on a War", which is the only serious clunker.
scannest

Postby Marc M » Wed Feb 10, 2021 11:59 pm

gregpolard wrote:
scannest wrote:

Ok...I've gotta give it a listen. The lead off single did nothing for me. Blair at Siren Records told me over the weekend that it's decent as well so that's two people who's opinions I respect.

On the pod front - FLIP YOUR WIG episode being recorded this weekend. Jude said I can blame him for the delay, but it's really both of us. Can't wait as this is one of my all time favorite albums.

Flip Your Wig is a top ten LP for me.
Marc M

Postby Hal » Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:17 am

Marc M wrote:Flip Your Wig is a top ten LP for me.

It may crack my top 10 too. It was my introduction to the band. Very influential on my teen years. Excited to listen to the episode Greg!
Hal

Postby scannest » Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:29 am

I know, I know, it's only 46 seconds long, but how can any album featuring "The Baby Song" be in anyone's Top Ten of All-Time? Can it still be a great album? Yes. But all-time great?
scannest

Postby JGJR » Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:00 am

Hal wrote:
Marc M wrote:Flip Your Wig is a top ten LP for me.

It may crack my top 10 too. It was my introduction to the band. Very influential on my teen years. Excited to listen to the episode Greg!

All of this. Bigly.
JGJR

Postby JGJR » Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:02 am

scannest wrote:I know, I know, it's only 46 seconds long, but how can any album featuring "The Baby Song" be in anyone's Top Ten of All-Time? Can it still be a great album? Yes. But all-time great?

It's really all about side 1, which is perfect IMO. Plus, "Find Me" basically invented the heavier side of shoegaze and a few other rockers on the B-side are absolutely top-notch, too.
JGJR

Postby drew » Fri Feb 12, 2021 10:33 am

scannest wrote:I know, I know, it's only 46 seconds long, but how can any album featuring "The Baby Song" be in anyone's Top Ten of All-Time? Can it still be a great album? Yes. But all-time great?

Yes. R.E.M. "Life's Rich Pageant" is a top-10 all-timer for me and "Underneath The bunker" while not bad at all is totally not necessary and doesn't add anything to the album......I still love it enough even if every single second isn't perfection.
drew

Postby JGJR » Mon Mar 08, 2021 5:39 pm

I finally finished listening to the Flip Your Wig episode earlier today. Thanks for the shoutout. I was fortunate enough to tell Bob that story about "Games" the 1st time I interviewed/met him. For those of you who might care, about 30 seconds before the end of the song, there's a stuck groove on my copy (an old '80s pressing I'd for almost 30 years now) that was audible on every turntable I've ever played it on until my current one (so it actually plays through until the end of the song/sidenow), so I'd initially thought it went "some ga-ames, some ga-ames..." over and over again and I still hear it like that.

I also don't mind "The Baby Song" and like viewing it as an intro to "Flexible Flyer" (the next song on the album). I think it's funny. On New Day Rising, though, I tend to skip "How to Skin a Cat" and find it annoying, though.
JGJR

Postby gregpolard » Mon Mar 08, 2021 5:41 pm

JGJR wrote:I finally finished listening to the Flip Your Wig episode earlier today. Thanks for the shoutout. I was fortunate enough to tell Bob that story about "Games" the 1st time I interviewed/met him. For those of you who might care, about 30 seconds before the end of the song, there's a stuck groove on my copy (an old '80s pressing I'd for almost 30 years now) that was audible on every turntable I've ever played it on until my current one (so it actually plays through until the end of the song/sidenow), so I'd initially thought it went "some ga-ames, some ga-ames..." over and over again and I still hear it like that.

I also don't mind "The Baby Song" and like viewing it as an intro to "Flexible Flyer" (the next song on the album). I think it's funny. On New Day Rising, though, I tend to skip "How to Skin a Cat" and find it annoying, though.

I'm excited to dive into "Don't Tell A Soul"
gregpolard

Postby JGJR » Mon Mar 08, 2021 5:54 pm

gregpolard wrote:
JGJR wrote:I finally finished listening to the Flip Your Wig episode earlier today. Thanks for the shoutout. I was fortunate enough to tell Bob that story about "Games" the 1st time I interviewed/met him. For those of you who might care, about 30 seconds before the end of the song, there's a stuck groove on my copy (an old '80s pressing I'd for almost 30 years now) that was audible on every turntable I've ever played it on until my current one (so it actually plays through until the end of the song/sidenow), so I'd initially thought it went "some ga-ames, some ga-ames..." over and over again and I still hear it like that.

I'm excited to dive into "Don't Tell A Soul"

Same! Tha's one where it didn't hit me until this century. I like it a lot more now than I did when I was in high school and first heard it.
JGJR

Postby Hal » Tue Mar 09, 2021 11:49 am

gregpolard wrote:I'm excited to dive into "Don't Tell A Soul"

Will that be the next episode? Agree with Matt, I listen to that one a lot more than I used to. I'll be anxious to hear the Greg/Jude take.
Hal

Postby gregpolard » Tue Mar 09, 2021 11:58 am

Hal wrote:
gregpolard wrote:I'm excited to dive into "Don't Tell A Soul"

Will that be the next episode? Agree with Matt, I listen to that one a lot more than I used to. I'll be anxious to hear the Greg/Jude take.

Yep! That's the next one. hopefully recording it to be dropped before month end.
gregpolard

Postby gregpolard » Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:58 am

Welp, once again we find ourselves behind ... and believe it or not it's mostly not my fault (sorry Jude!)

That said, God willing, we record the "don't tell a soul" episode this weekend. I'm excited for this one!
gregpolard

Postby gregpolard » Thu Jul 08, 2021 12:33 pm

HI!

TWO new episodes went up today.

The first is an interview with Scott McCloud (Soulside/GVSB) and the other is us breaking down "BEASTER" by Sugar.

Recording another episode this Sunday AND just locked in an interview for next month that I'm really stoked on that's sorta relevant to recent board discussions.
gregpolard

Postby scannest » Thu Jul 08, 2021 12:35 pm

gregpolard wrote:Recording another episode this Sunday AND just locked in an interview for next month that I'm really stoked on that's sorta relevant to recent board discussions.

Oooh...is it a Posie-y or a Sloan-y?
scannest

Postby gregpolard » Thu Jul 08, 2021 12:41 pm

scannest wrote:
gregpolard wrote:Recording another episode this Sunday AND just locked in an interview for next month that I'm really stoked on that's sorta relevant to recent board discussions.

Oooh...is it a Posie-y or a Sloan-y?

:lol: :lol: :lol: 8-)
gregpolard

Postby Hal » Fri Jul 09, 2021 12:37 pm

gregpolard wrote:HI!

TWO new episodes went up today.

The first is an interview with Scott McCloud (Soulside/GVSB) and the other is us breaking down "BEASTER" by Sugar.

Recording another episode this Sunday AND just locked in an interview for next month that I'm really stoked on that's sorta relevant to recent board discussions.

Well, now I know what I'll be doing tonight. Excited for both episodes. Thanks for the heads up!
Hal

Postby gregpolard » Fri Jul 09, 2021 1:06 pm

Thanks Hal!
Hope ya dig :)
gregpolard

Postby gregpolard » Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:38 am

New episode with Ken Stringfellow (Posies, R.E.M., Big Star) up now!
gregpolard

Previous

Return to daghouse