Farside

Farside

Postby soulforce » Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:35 am

How come this band didn't get signed by a major in the mid 90s. They could have been huge.
soulforce

Re: Farside

Postby gregpolard » Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:39 am

Good band!
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby BAIN » Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:56 am

Spent a few nights drinkin beers with Popeye when he was coming through NJ a few years back with his group = http://yourfavoritetrainwreck.bandcamp.com/

Band also has Jeff from Gameface and Cousin Oliver from the Brady Bunch
BAIN

Postby yourenotevil » Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:10 am

soulforce wrote:How come this band didn't get signed by a major in the mid 90s. They could have been huge.

someone from a major label must have heard them and passed on it. rev was doing the vinyl releases for the lps for quicksand after they got signed to a major and the label was definitely on the A&R radar after 94 because the of the RATM/Inside out connection.
"What the fuck? Fuck Shit up!"-Chuck Dukowski
yourenotevil

Postby patient_ot » Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:19 am

I've got most of their discography. Rigged is probably my favorite but they have great songs across their catalog. One of my favorites is "I'll Wait Today" from the s/t e.p. Monroe Doctrine is a bit oddball...there is something "off" about the production and there are too many jokey/filler tracks...

It's probably better that they didn't sign to a major. A lot of the indie bands that signed to majors in '94-ish ended up getting screwed or the whole experience broke up the band. There are some underrated gems on majors and pseudo-majors from that time period though.

Along with Gameface (which we talked about recently) another Rev band in this general area of sound was Sensefield. I think their "Building" LP is quite good and something of a hidden gem these days. Later on they did sign to a major and turned into an adult-contemporary-ish sounding rock band.
patient_ot

Postby JGJR » Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:02 am

I never really got into them other than the 7" with "Keep My Soul Awake," which I had at the time and loved. There's no good reason why I didn't check out the later stuff, though.
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby patient_ot » Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:10 am

JGJR wrote:I never really got into them other than the 7" with "Keep My Soul Awake," which I had at the time and loved. There's no good reason why I didn't check out the later stuff, though.

The songs from the 7'' are bonus tracks on the Rochambeau CD. Their later stuff is a bit more polished, not in a bad way though.
patient_ot

Return to daghouse