End on End Podcast

End on End Podcast

Postby Hal » Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:47 pm

End on End: A PoDCore Journey Through the Entire Dischord Catalog

I am sure many of you have been listening. This podcast hasn't quite won me over yet. I haven't found the hosts commentary all that insightful. It's early in the catalog though. I'd like to hear some of your thoughts.

I just finished episode #9 Youth Brigade Possible ep and I must say, the interview with Danny was the best yet! So much good info and very entertaining. Some complementary mentions of both Midge and Hunter. Check it out.
Hal

Re: End on End Podcast

Postby drew » Thu Apr 30, 2020 2:15 pm

I haven’t checked this out yet but I will.
Average ep time is an hour & a half? Youth brigade is 3 and a half hours!

I thought the SST podcast guys were a bit long-winded but jeez.....how much info could there possible-bly be? (See what I did there?)
drew

Postby JGJR » Thu Apr 30, 2020 3:14 pm

drew wrote:I haven’t checked this out yet but I will.

I thought the SST podcast guys were a bit long-winded but jeez.....how much info could there possible-bly be? (See what I did there?)

I think the length of the episodes as well as just my backlog of other shows that's kept me from listening thus far, but I still wanna check it out at some point.
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby version sound » Thu Apr 30, 2020 3:20 pm

Hal wrote:End on End: A PoDCore Journey Through the Entire Dischord Catalog

I am sure many of you have been listening. This podcast hasn't quite won me over yet. I haven't found the hosts commentary all that insightful. It's early in the catalog though. I'd like to hear some of your thoughts.

I just finished episode #9 Youth Brigade Possible ep and I must say, the interview with Danny was the best yet! So much good info and very entertaining. Some complementary mentions of both Midge and Hunter. Check it out.

I have listened to an episode or two. The Mike Hampton interview was really good. I will definitely check this one out.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby gregpolard » Fri May 01, 2020 6:20 am

JGJR wrote:
drew wrote:I haven’t checked this out yet but I will.

I think the length of the episodes as well as just my backlog of other shows that's kept me from listening thus far, but I still wanna check it out at some point.

Hey now! If you had a podcast I'm sure the average running time would be at least 3 hours :lol: :lol:
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby version sound » Fri May 01, 2020 8:34 am

Good lord, those guys talk too much. There is a full hour of them chatting and talking about the record. I had to skip ahead to the actual interview.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby the mean » Fri May 01, 2020 10:19 am

I played in a band with Brian and did a six week tour. Not sure I want to listed to him yammer for 90 minutes.
the mean

Postby the mean » Fri May 01, 2020 10:20 am

I'm kidding, but I do think these should be edited down a little bit.
the mean

Postby captain2man » Mon May 11, 2020 10:12 am

the mean wrote:I played in a band with Brian and did a six week tour. Not sure I want to listed to him yammer for 90 minutes.

Amber Inn?

So....Brian's original co-host, Aldred, has left the podcast and I have now stepped in to co-host going forward.

When Brian first mentioned in one of the Facebook groups he was doing this, I pointed him to my aborted blog from a few years back when I tried to write my way through the catalog and we were in touch that way. When Aldred quit, he reached out to me to see if I was interested - and hell yeah I was....especially in this time when there's no band practice or anything else much to do.

Our first episode together was released today - we cover the first side of the Flex Your Head comp. I'm listening to it now & pretty happy with how it turned out.

I've read the reviews from the earlier episodes - which are pretty critical (but not unfair) and that they're a bit too long and meandering - and I pretty much felt the same way. I hope to bring something to the podcast that's valuable and am committed to the long haul - so we'll get through some growing pains.

The episode still runs long, but there are four interviews and it's a comp - so we're dealing with six different bands instead of one. But I agree that sometimes less is more and hope that normal episodes are quite a bit shorter.

Anyway - I hope some of you will stick with it & give it a listen. I've never co-hosted a podcast before, and Brian and I have only known each other a couple of weeks now....but for a first time out - I think it's a decent listen and I know we'll get better as time goes on and we find our rhythm.

I also take constructive criticism well. I WANT this podcast to succeed and be enjoyable....so - fire away with any suggestions or whatever on how to improve...I have thick skin....just don't be a jerk about it....unless it's funny & creative.
captain2man

Postby the mean » Mon May 11, 2020 12:22 pm

captain2man wrote:
the mean wrote:I played in a band with Brian and did a six week tour. Not sure I want to listed to him yammer for 90 minutes.

Amber Inn?

Ha. We just talked about this on facebook under our non-Daghouse names.
the mean

Postby captain2man » Mon May 11, 2020 12:32 pm

We sure did...thought it may have been you.
captain2man

Postby version sound » Mon May 11, 2020 1:44 pm

I enjoy the interviews, but I listen while I’m working, so I don’t really believe that a podcast can be too long (as long as I’m interested in the content). The one bit of (hopefully) constructive criticism I have would be to limit the discussion about the records between the hosts (though, to be fair, I have not heard the episode you are on). Some fact-based discussion about the releases is interesting, but the extensive song-by-song discussion on the early episodes is a bit much. I’d say that the guys on the SST podcast get the balance about right.
Last edited by version sound on Mon May 11, 2020 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby captain2man » Mon May 11, 2020 1:49 pm

version sound wrote:I enjoy the interviews, but I listen while I’m working, so I don’t really believe that a podcast can be too long (as long as I’m interested in the content). The one bit of (hopefully) constructive I have would be to limit the discussion about the records between the hosts (though, to be fair, I have not heard the episode you are on). Some fact-based discussion about the releases is interesting, but the extensive song-by-song discussion on the early episodes is a bit much. I’d say that the guys on the SST podcast get the balance about right.

I 100% agree with everything you're saying. I feel like we struck a fairly decent balance on this first episode - but again - allow a little bit of growing pains given that I'm a total rookie (and the podcast is new anyway) and that Brian and I need some time to develop chemistry.

I'm a fan of less is more - and - especially with two-chord primitive hardcore, sometimes there really isn't a whole lot to say when it comes to specifics.

I'm a huge fan of the SST podcast and I've been listening to that since day one. I think those guys are an excellent model for this format. I don't want to totally ape what they're doing - but I agree that they have it down. One place where we'll be a lot shorter than them is the whole opening "spiel" section. Those guys can sometimes talk for 15-20 minutes about stuff before they get to the meat of the episode. I happen to love that section because it's introduced me to a lot of music out there I wouldn't have known about....but I don't think we'll be doing that as much. A short intro to say hello & what's up - but then get into the heart of the episode much faster.

Have a listen to this latest episode with that in mind and let me have your thoughts when you get a chance.
captain2man

Postby version sound » Mon May 11, 2020 2:50 pm

I’m listening right now and (no offense to the other guy), but I already think you’re an upgrade from the previous co-host.

Nerd note: the violin and wheat field covers were stock images offered by the pressing plant (or whoever did the covers). The AT pressing was the first cover they actually designed. Here’s a record I found in the wild that used the violin cover:

Re: “No Fun,” you nailed it. They got it from the Pistols. They didn’t know anything about The Stooges until Black Flag reccomended them a year or so later. Stabb claimed that he brought “Stepping Stone” to the DC scene based on his love for the Monkees single, which he had as a kid.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby captain2man » Mon May 11, 2020 3:37 pm

Awesome ... Thanks for the info!

I'm the one who got "No Fun" wrong at first. Brian's the one who figured they got it from the Pistols. Although, it wouldn't have surprised me if they HAD known the Stooges song. And I'm sure they grow up watching the Monkees or maybe not.

No matter how much research we do, or no matter how smart we think we are, we're going to miss stuff and we'll get some things wrong.

I find myself correcting podcasts I listen to out loud all the time.

Nonetheless, I hope you find it worth listening to.
captain2man

Postby Hal » Mon May 11, 2020 4:05 pm

captain2man wrote:So....Brian's original co-host, Aldred, has left the podcast and I have now stepped in to co-host going forward.

I only made it through about the first 30 minutes today...but I can already say that you have improved this podcast 100%. Keep up the great work! I hope you have the opportunity to conduct the interviews. Please give Brian some coffee before each taping and tell him to stop saying "in my opinion" after everything he says :D
Hal

Postby version sound » Mon May 11, 2020 4:10 pm

I’m enjoying it. I didn’t mean to offer corrections, because I don’t think you guys actually got anything wrong, just my insight from being a Dischord nerd for 37 years and counting. IIRC, Stabb talked about “Stepping Stone” on this board. Who knows if it’s true, but that’s what he claimed. I don’t remember if I heard the Stooges thing on Henry’s podcast, or read it in an interview, but the first time Black Flag came to DC, they stayed at Ian’s parents’ house. When they were leaving in the morning Ian and Henry asked what they listened to on the road and Chuck said The Stooges and Black Sabbath, and that was when they first got into The Stooges.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby lewdd » Mon May 11, 2020 4:49 pm

So I just went to check out the newest podcast as I have not listened to any of the previous one's. Why hasn't anyone mentioned that Creature was one of the feature interviews?
lewdd

Postby captain2man » Mon May 11, 2020 4:49 pm

Hal wrote:
captain2man wrote:So....Brian's original co-host, Aldred, has left the podcast and I have now stepped in to co-host going forward.

I only made it through about the first 30 minutes today...but I can already say that you have improved this podcast 100%. Keep up the great work! I hope you have the opportunity to conduct the interviews. Please give Brian some coffee before each taping and tell him to stop saying "in my opinion" after everything he says :D

Ha!! Brian has no problem with me participating in interviews, and there are some I can think of that I will want to be in on. But for now, I'm basically letting him take the lead on that. In general, I like podcasts - and interviews - where it's just two people. Three can be a crowd. So for now, he'll do the interviews, I'll get a chance to listen to them before we record, and then I can maybe pick out some interesting tidbits from them. We'll see how it goes - but for now - he's the man.
captain2man

Postby captain2man » Mon May 11, 2020 4:51 pm

version sound wrote:I’m enjoying it. I didn’t mean to offer corrections, because I don’t think you guys actually got anything wrong, just my insight from being a Dischord nerd for 37 years and counting. IIRC, Stabb talked about “Stepping Stone” on this board. Who knows if it’s true, but that’s what he claimed. I don’t remember if I heard the Stooges thing on Henry’s podcast, or read it in an interview, but the first time Black Flag came to DC, they stayed at Ian’s parents’ house. When they were leaving in the morning Ian and Henry asked what they listened to on the road and Chuck said The Stooges and Black Sabbath, and that was when they first got into The Stooges.

Hey....no problem. But being a Dischord nerd for 37 years means you're going to know a lot of stuff that we don't. I'm an SST nerd (way more than Dischord, I confess) and especially in the early days of that SST podcast - I was constantly saying to myself, "no! You got that wrong"....or..."no! You left that out!".

It's gonna happen. We weren't there (well, Brian was a little bit - but I definitely wasn't). I'm just a fan who likes to gab about music. I hope to learn a lot from doing this.
captain2man

Postby version sound » Tue May 12, 2020 8:16 am

One more suggestion: go light on the personal opinions. These records mean radically different things to different people depending on when they heard them. Hearing FYH in 1982 and even a few years later, when hardcore had already mutated and proliferated, were 2 very different experiences.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby lewdd » Tue May 12, 2020 8:26 am

Are you guys having a conversation over phone, skype, zoom, etc? I'm trying to understand how these podcasts in general are put together.
lewdd

Postby version sound » Tue May 12, 2020 8:48 am

Daghauser references so far:
Andy (interview)
Danny (interview)
xxxHunterxxx (mentioned)
Midge (mentioned)
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby captain2man » Tue May 12, 2020 10:37 am

version sound wrote:One more suggestion: go light on the personal opinions. These records mean radically different things to different people depending on when they heard them. Hearing FYH in 1982 and even a few years later, when hardcore had already mutated and proliferated, were 2 very different experiences.

Well....I think our personal opinions are a big part of it. I mean - no one needs a podcast to hear info they can just get off the internet. The interviews will be valuable for sure to gain some new insight into a band's history - so that's good. But...you know....I think we're both very aware of the fact that music is so much about the place & time you experience it. I can't pretend to have been there. I was 9 years old in 1982 and like - just discovering Pink Floyd & AC/DC and was 250 miles north of D.C. I know that I didn't experience these songs/bands as they were happening....so - I already get all of that.

If I was doing a podcast about '90s hardcore coming out of Long Island....it would be a much different podcast than if someone 10-15 years younger than me tried to cover that.

I discovered a lot of the early SST stuff when I was a kid.....so that stuff meant the world for me, no matter how "generic" it may have sounded to someone listening to it much later on. Like - the Overkill "Hell's Getting Hotter" 7" was one of my first HC 7"'s. I know every note of it - it means the world to me. But the SST guys didn't listen to it until basically when they were doing the podcast....and they basically dismissed it as being generic and unmemorable. So - it was a completely different perspective - but I accept that....music criticism is highly subjective....I like listening to all takes on something.
captain2man

Postby captain2man » Tue May 12, 2020 10:41 am

lewdd wrote:Are you guys having a conversation over phone, skype, zoom, etc? I'm trying to understand how these podcasts in general are put together.

Brian is doing all the technical stuff - the recording and editing....and believe me - he did a great job with that. We had conversations that went off on long tangents (our conversation about the Stern Brothers and the L.A. Youth Brigade veered off into a long conversation about Punk Rock Bowling that thankfully got edited out - but you wouldn't even notice it). There was a lot of crosstalk that got edited.

But we're doing it via Zoom. On my end, I was just using a cheap headset mic that has a USB plug. I'll be upgrading that to something much better in the very near future (not the episode we're recording later this week, but whatever follows). I know the audio quality - especially on my end - was a little lacking - but we'll troubleshoot and try to fix that.

Pro podcasts are done like any radio show - with everyone in the same room using high quality mics and preamps and mixers. Brian & I are on opposite coasts....heck we might never actually meet in person.....so it'll never be that type of quality....but we'll get it better than it sounds now.
captain2man

Postby version sound » Tue May 12, 2020 11:00 am

captain2man wrote:
version sound wrote:Well....I think our personal opinions are a big part of it. I mean - no one needs a podcast to hear info they can just get off the internet. The interviews will be valuable for sure to gain some new insight into a band's history - so that's good.

I guess different people listen to podcasts for different reasons. I have little to no interest in hearing hosts just talk about their personal opinions of a record, regardless of whether I agree or disagree with them, though I won’t lie, hearing people dismiss a song or record I love is a huge turn off to me. An opinion is only worthwhile (to me) to the extent that, if their tastes seem to align with mine, I might be turned on to something new, otherwise, I don’t find them particularly interesting as a passive listening experience. IMO, the interviews are the real draw.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby captain2man » Tue May 12, 2020 12:02 pm

version sound wrote:
captain2man wrote:
version sound wrote:Well....I think our personal opinions are a big part of it. I mean - no one needs a podcast to hear info they can just get off the internet. The interviews will be valuable for sure to gain some new insight into a band's history - so that's good.

I guess different people listen to podcasts for different reasons. I have little to no interest in hearing hosts just talk about their personal opinions of a record, regardless of whether I agree or disagree with them, though I won’t lie, hearing people dismiss a song or record I love is a huge turn off to me. An opinion is only worthwhile (to me) to the extent that, if their tastes seem to align with mine, I might be turned on to something new, otherwise, I don’t find them particularly interesting as a passive listening experience. IMO, the interviews are the real draw.

I 100% agree with this...everyone has different tastes and that's totally fine. With the SST podcast, I have to admit that the interviews are actually my least favorite part of it. Not that I'm not interested in the biography of a band, but I'm much more interested in the music itself, and that includes commentary from someone who I feel is well-versed in music and is passionate about it. We may just have different tastes that way - and that's fine. I think our podcast will have a good balance of the factual stuff, the interviews, and some personal commentary. I hope you like it - but if you skip through those parts, or don't listen at all, hey - no hard feelings.

I know there's another Dischord podcast going too....I think they cover a larger stretch of records over the course of one episode rather than record-by-record....so if that's more your cup of tea - no hard feelings there either.

But - I hope you keep listening & find something entertaining or valuable in it.
captain2man

Postby lewdd » Tue May 12, 2020 12:16 pm

How many hours a week do you have to contribute to this podcast? I'm guessing it is more than 5 as you seem to be listening to release you plan to talk about at least once, probably doing some internet research with notes you want to discuss or reading lyric sheet, listening to interviews to determine what you want to discuss about them, etc. before actually having the conversation with the other guy.
lewdd

Postby captain2man » Tue May 12, 2020 1:02 pm

lewdd wrote:How many hours a week do you have to contribute to this podcast? I'm guessing it is more than 5 as you seem to be listening to release you plan to talk about at least once, probably doing some internet research with notes you want to discuss or reading lyric sheet, listening to interviews to determine what you want to discuss about them, etc. before actually having the conversation with the other guy.

This is only my first week on the job....but I'd say in total - yeah - I suppose. The comps take longer because you're dealing with more bands. I'm sure Brian takes some time to do his own research to prep the interview & then actually conduct the interview.

Right now, I'm more concerned with compiling more bare bones type of facts - stuff that's out there - either on the internet or in some books I have, etc. Just something to get the conversation started.

But most of my time has been spent listening to the music - really absorbing it so I can have something thoughtful to say beyond, "yeah - this is really good." But I can also do other stuff while I'm listening. I'm working from home, so, if I'm sitting here anyway, may as well listen to the Flex Your Head comp a few times - and the more I listen & the more I absorb - the more things pop out at me to listen to.

Honestly - I think most of the time is spent doing the boring technical stuff....like the editing and putting everything together - that's all Brian.....I'm pretty sure when all is said & done - he spends way more than 5 hours a week on it.
captain2man

Postby captain2man » Tue May 12, 2020 1:03 pm

lewdd wrote:How many hours a week do you have to contribute to this podcast? I'm guessing it is more than 5 as you seem to be listening to release you plan to talk about at least once, probably doing some internet research with notes you want to discuss or reading lyric sheet, listening to interviews to determine what you want to discuss about them, etc. before actually having the conversation with the other guy.

This is only my first week on the job....but I'd say in total - yeah - I suppose. The comps take longer because you're dealing with more bands. I'm sure Brian takes some time to do his own research to prep the interview & then actually conduct the interview.

Right now, I'm more concerned with compiling more bare bones type of facts - stuff that's out there - either on the internet or in some books I have, etc. Just something to get the conversation started.

But most of my time has been spent listening to the music - really absorbing it so I can have something thoughtful to say beyond, "yeah - this is really good." But I can also do other stuff while I'm listening. I'm working from home, so, if I'm sitting here anyway, may as well listen to the Flex Your Head comp a few times - and the more I listen & the more I absorb - the more things pop out at me to discuss or make mention of.

Honestly - I think most of the time is spent doing the boring technical stuff....like the editing and putting everything together - that's all Brian.....I'm pretty sure when all is said & done - he spends way more than 5 hours a week on it.
captain2man

Postby version sound » Tue May 12, 2020 2:00 pm

captain2man wrote:
version sound wrote:
captain2man wrote:I hope you keep listening & find something entertaining or valuable in it.

I still enjoy it, though I may yell at you guys in my head for the next few records. I have a feeling that our tastes will get closer as you guys progress through the catalog. It’ll be interesting to see how the Faith/Void episode goes...
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby JGJR » Wed May 13, 2020 6:21 pm

version sound wrote:I’m listening right now and (no offense to the other guy), but I already think you’re an upgrade from the previous co-host.

Nerd note: the violin and wheat field covers were stock images offered by the pressing plant (or whoever did the covers). The AT pressing was the first cover they actually designed. Here’s a record I found in the wild that used the violin cover:

I knew that the wheat field and violin covers were stock photos (see also: Minutemen - The Punch Line) from the pressing plant, but didn't know the XXX one is the first one they designed. Do you happen to know the origin of the (slightly later; mid '80s) blurry photo cover? I'm curious since it's the pressing I've had for a long time.
JGJR

Postby FlexMyHead » Wed May 13, 2020 6:50 pm

I haven't listened to the podcast (or the SST one) and I don't stream music either, so maybe I really shouldn't comment but OF COURSE you should talk about your own experience with the music. Someone who wants just the facts should go to Wikipedia (haha). Don't agree with that person's opinion? Who cares. It seems like the whole reason for a podcast would be too express/infuse your own experience with the songs/music/releases? Again, I haven't listened, just going on what people have said here. Basically, to me it sounds like a band deciding to do a cover song. You have a skeleton of the idea/song and you can add to it or leave it as is. Some people like it unchanged, some people like to hear your spin on it. I'd rather not have a note by note copy but also not be so different that I can't even tell what the fuck is going on. Sounds like same thing for the podcast, people thought the other dude was long winded and dragged on? Ultimately, do what feels right to you guys! Creating something is always so much harder (and important) than judging it.
FlexMyHead

Postby captain2man » Wed May 13, 2020 7:20 pm

JGJR wrote:I knew that the wheat field and violin covers were stock photos (see also: Minutemen - The Punch Line) from the pressing plant, but didn't know the XXX one is the first one they designed. Do you happen to know the origin of the (slightly later; mid '80s) blurry photo cover? I'm curious since it's the pressing I've had for a long time.

What was stock about The Punch Line?

The front cover was a D. Boon painting - more accurately - a small portion of a HUGE D. Boon painting. The story as told by Watt is that it basically took up half a wall in a room and he took an outline of a record cover and kept putting it over different parts of it until he got the exact section he wanted. Each color in the painting is supposed to represent one of the guys in the band (although - maybe I'm color blind, but I see four colors on the front cover, but who knows?).

The painting on the backcover is stencil art done by George Hurley.
captain2man

Postby captain2man » Wed May 13, 2020 7:31 pm

FlexMyHead wrote:I haven't listened to the podcast (or the SST one) and I don't stream music either, so maybe I really shouldn't comment but OF COURSE you should talk about your own experience with the music. Someone who wants just the facts should go to Wikipedia (haha). Don't agree with that person's opinion? Who cares. It seems like the whole reason for a podcast would be too express/infuse your own experience with the songs/music/releases? Again, I haven't listened, just going on what people have said here. Basically, to me it sounds like a band deciding to do a cover song. You have a skeleton of the idea/song and you can add to it or leave it as is. Some people like it unchanged, some people like to hear your spin on it. I'd rather not have a note by note copy but also not be so different that I can't even tell what the fuck is going on. Sounds like same thing for the podcast, people thought the other dude was long winded and dragged on? Ultimately, do what feels right to you guys! Creating something is always so much harder (and important) than judging it.

We're going to do the show we want to do - which, I think for both of us, involves both the biographical (with hopefully some new insights via the interviews) & some critical discussion of the music. How we get there to get it JUST right will take some time. We're both motivated to do this and we know it'll take some time to get the flow down just right. Some people will like it, some won't - that's cool.

The thing about any sort of opinion when it comes to art is just that - it's opinion. Those of us who love music, or any other type of artistic expression, feel that personal connection to what we love. We attach ourselves to certain bands or records or songs - not necessarily because they're great songs - but because of our own personal history. One of my favorite NYHC demos of all time is the Trip Six demo - and it's not because it's some groundbreaking musical masterpiece....it's because when I was a kid the guitarist wrote me letters and sent it to me. As a 13 year old kid that was life-changing and I played that demo a dozen times a day. If some 45-year-old dude was doing a podcast on old NYHC demos and was listening to that for the first time NOW - he would never, ever get that same feeling from it than I do.

And one thing I 100% understand is that some things that might not really connect with me might be someone's else favorite thing ever. That's part of the deal. You listen to podcasts or read critical reviews because you have a certain amount of faith & trust in the person who's expressing their opinion. There are many music critics who I really enjoy reading who I disagree with a tremendous amount of the time. I'm not really looking for guidance on what to buy next....I'm more looking for some enlightenment or different angle on something I'm already familiar with.

For what it's worth, neither Brian nor I are young kids who just fell upon this music yesterday. We have both been into this music for decades and we're both musicians who have been playing in bands, recording & touring our whole lives. We're also two people who THINK about music quite a lot. I'd like to think those shared experiences have earned at least a LITTLE bit of currency. Maybe, maybe not. But if people want a quality Dischord Records podcast and don't feel like we're delivering - nothing is stopping anyone from trying to do their own. I'd probably be the first person to listen.
captain2man

Postby JGJR » Thu May 14, 2020 9:59 am

captain2man wrote:
JGJR wrote:I knew that the wheat field and violin covers were stock photos (see also: Minutemen - The Punch Line) from the pressing plant, but didn't know the XXX one is the first one they designed. Do you happen to know the origin of the (slightly later; mid '80s) blurry photo cover? I'm curious since it's the pressing I've had for a long time.

What was stock about The Punch Line?

The front cover was a D. Boon painting - more accurately - a small portion of a HUGE D. Boon painting. The story as told by Watt is that it basically took up half a wall in a room and he took an outline of a record cover and kept putting it over different parts of it until he got the exact section he wanted. Each color in the painting is supposed to represent one of the guys in the band (although - maybe I'm color blind, but I see four colors on the front cover, but who knows?).

The painting on the backcover is stencil art done by George Hurley.

Sorry; might have been thinking of another Minutemen record then (or something else entirely); should've looked it up beforehand. The cover does LOOK like a stock photo and I thought I'd read that's what it was. Small portion of a huge painting makes sense. Thanks for the correction.
JGJR

Postby captain2man » Mon May 18, 2020 6:22 am

The new episode is now live, covering Side B of Flex Your Head.

Interviews with Pete Murray (Red C / Artificial Peace), Chris Stover (Void), Scott Crawford (director of the Salad Days doc) & Sonny Kay (Angel Hair, The VSS & many others...and designer of the End On End podcast logo).

Plus....a well-deserved shout-out to Version Sound for his clarifications. I already know I made at least one mistake this episode involving Red C which I'll fix next time around.

We'll be back in two weeks with SSD - 'Kids Will Have Their Say'.
captain2man

Postby Nico » Mon May 18, 2020 6:41 am

JGJR wrote:
version sound wrote:I’m listening right now and (no offense to the other guy), but I already think you’re an upgrade from the previous co-host.

I knew that the wheat field and violin covers were stock photos (see also: Minutemen - The Punch Line) from the pressing plant, but didn't know the XXX one is the first one they designed. Do you happen to know the origin of the (slightly later; mid '80s) blurry photo cover? I'm curious since it's the pressing I've had for a long time.

Tomas Squip took that blurry head picture I believe.

About the violin cover: https://www.discogs.com/lists/sheet-mus ... ver/406264

About the wheat field cover: https://www.discogs.com/lists/Wheat-stock-cover/285885
Nico

Postby JGJR » Mon May 18, 2020 1:08 pm

Nico wrote:Tomas Squip took that blurry head picture I believe.

That would certainly make sense. I remember seeing recently (in a set of outtakes that Cischord posted on Instagram) hat he took the photos of Dag Nasty that were in the insert of Wig Out. Thanks.
JGJR

Postby lewdd » Thu May 28, 2020 5:03 pm

That is a funny story in the interview about how GI got it's start on the last podcast for side B of Flex Your Head.
lewdd

Postby captain2man » Mon Jun 15, 2020 6:46 am

Episode #14 - the Void side of the Faith/Void split is now up.

Interviews with Void bassist Chris Stover, Matthias Weeks (Council Records / Current / Cavalry / Ottawa) & John Sybert (Eye 95 Records / The Undecided)

https://www.buzzsprout.com/893587/41774 ... ohn-sybert
captain2man

Postby Nico » Mon Jun 15, 2020 6:57 am

Looking forward to John Sybert interview, that Void 7" on Eye95 was so important.
Nico

Postby version sound » Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:50 am

More (unintentional?) Daghouse content: some discussion of Rule of Thumb and Tragic Life records.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby version sound » Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:49 pm

One thing that doesn’t get mentioned enough about the Void side is the mix. Compare the LP to the outtakes that were released later. Part of the magic is definitely in the mix.

HUGELY disagree with your take. The Faith side is 100% more one-dimensional than the Void side, and I say that as someone who loves Faith, I just think that they didn’t really come into their own until they added Eddie Janney. I’ve heard countless bands compared to Void in the last 35 years, but not a single one has actually sounded like them. Even note-for-note covers don’t capture the magic. The whole is definitely greater than the sum of its parts.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby version sound » Wed Jun 17, 2020 1:00 pm

I do agree that Void were not a crossover band. They were certainly influenced by Sabbath and Motorhead, but (thankfully) they couldn’t really play well enough to play straight metal.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby captain2man » Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:06 pm

If you're ever wondering whether or not a Daghouse-related comment I make is intentional or not....it's always intentional.

And I figured I'm in the huge minority of people who prefer the Faith side to the Void side. But - I couldn't have said it enough just how much I love the Void side....and I also backtracked a bit from the "one dimensional" comment - we talk off the cuff - so sometimes things don't come out exactly the way I mean.

But with the Faith side - you have Face to Face....What's Wrong With Me?....In the Black.......three completely different styles of songs.

The Void side is much more of a steamroller.

I love it all.
Last edited by captain2man on Wed Jun 17, 2020 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
captain2man

Postby version sound » Wed Jun 17, 2020 6:28 pm

Yeah, I realize that you came around a bit in the end. I should probably hold my comments until I finish an episode.

The Faith side was somewhat ruined for me by the fact that I heard Subject To Change a couple of years before Faith/Void (which was out of print until 1985) and STJ was (and is) one of my favorite records. That made the Faith side seem like a big step backwards. Honestly, when that side comes up a little short for me, it’s not because I’m comparing it to the other side, it’s because I’m comparing it to the more evolved version of themselves. I still love it, but not nearly as much as STJ.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby captain2man » Wed Jun 17, 2020 6:34 pm

version sound wrote:Yeah, I realize that you came around a bit in the end. I should probably hold my comments until I finish an episode.

The Faith side was somewhat ruined for me by the fact that I heard Subject To Change a couple of years before Faith/Void (which was out of print until 1985) and STJ was (and is) one of my favorite records. That made the Faith side seem like a big step backwards. Honestly, when that side comes up a little short for me, it’s not because I’m comparing it to the other side, it’s because I’m comparing it to the more evolved version of themselves. I still love it, but not nearly as much as STJ.

Totally fair. S2C is definitely a more realized version of the band. I absolutely love that record as well.
captain2man

Postby captain2man » Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:48 am

The new End On End Podcast is out. This week - it's Dischord No. 8 1/2 / Skinflint No. 1 - Iron Cross - 'Skinhead Glory' 7" released in 1982. Interviews with Sab Grey, Mark Haggerty & Mark Linskey.

captain2man

Postby captain2man » Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:54 am

It's a new End On End. We did a two-parter on the first Scream record - 'Still Screaming'.

Part One - we go through the tracks on Side A and we have an interview with vocalist Pete Stahl.

Part Two - we go through the tracks on Side B and we have interviews with bassist Skeeter Thompson & Scream biographer Bobby Madden.

https://www.buzzsprout.com/893587

captain2man

Next

Return to daghouse