End on End Podcast

Re: End on End Podcast

Postby captain2man » Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:27 pm

version sound wrote:Jeff, are you friends with Pete and Pete or just little Pete?

Is this an Adventures of Pete & Pete reference?

My wife seriously loves this show....we saw them live at Amityville Music Hall on Long Island a year or so ago...it was fun. I'm a bit too old to have watched it - but it was a pretty good show!
captain2man

Postby version sound » Tue Sep 22, 2020 2:18 pm

captain2man wrote:
version sound wrote:Jeff, are you friends with Pete and Pete or just little Pete?

My wife seriously loves this show....we saw them live at Amityville Music Hall on Long Island a year or so ago...it was fun. I'm a bit too old to have watched it - but it was a pretty good show!

I thought for sure that the friend who played bass with Richard Lloyd you mentioned on the STJ episode was Danny Tambrelli, who not only played the younger Pete, but also toured with Lloyd and had a story or two. I guess everyone who played with him has stories...
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby captain2man » Tue Sep 22, 2020 2:26 pm

version sound wrote:
captain2man wrote:

I thought for sure that the friend who played bass with Richard Lloyd you mentioned on the STJ episode was Danny Tambrelli, who not only played the younger Pete, but also toured with Lloyd and had a story or two. I guess everyone who played with him has stories...

Ah.....gotcha. No....I was talking about Dean Rispler, who was in the most recent line-up of the Dictators, but also has also done time with The Voluptuous Horror of Karen Black, Murphy's Law, The Brought Low and a bunch of others - and also has a zillion production credits to his name (including two Two Man Advantage records...woo!).
captain2man

Postby captain2man » Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:23 am

The new End on End is now up - covering Dischord 14 - the Four Old 7"'s on a 12" comp.

Guests galore.

captain2man

Postby captain2man » Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:52 am

The new episode is up....this week it's a break from the Dischord catalog & we interview the legendary Don Zientara. You may have heard of him.

https://www.buzzsprout.com/893587/57969 ... d-musician

captain2man

Postby lewdd » Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:51 am

Wow! We have another famous podcaster amongst us now. You and Greg are reeling in the big fish for your shows. Congrats to both of you!
lewdd

Postby captain2man » Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:59 am

lewdd wrote:Wow! We have another famous podcaster amongst us now. You and Greg are reeling in the big fish for your shows. Congrats to both of you!

"famous"?

Not one person stopped me at the Stop & Shop the other day. Grr.
captain2man

Postby lewdd » Thu Oct 08, 2020 11:03 am

You guys should be getting advertising money or free records or something for how popular your shows are.
lewdd

Postby captain2man » Thu Oct 08, 2020 11:49 am

lewdd wrote:You guys should be getting advertising money or free records or something for how popular your shows are.

Honestly - I haven't gotten any sense at all as to how many people are listening to End On End. It could be five people, it could be 5000 people....my guess is it's somewhere in between. I'm grateful to do it in the first place and for whoever is listening, though. It's been a lot of fun.
captain2man

Postby garth » Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:31 pm

Really enjoying the podcast, keep it up! Can’t wait for #19
garth

Postby Hal » Fri Oct 09, 2020 8:21 am

I can't wait for your return Jeff. Brian's voice lulled me to sleep during this recent episode :D

Cool interview with Don Zientara! I always wondered what he was like. Seems like a really sweet guy.
Hal

Postby captain2man » Fri Oct 09, 2020 11:01 am

Hal wrote:I can't wait for your return Jeff. Brian's voice lulled me to sleep during this recent episode :D

Cool interview with Don Zientara! I always wondered what he was like. Seems like a really sweet guy.

How about Don's voice?? Who knew Don Z. had a voice that was so silky & smoothy?

Anyway - we recorded the Salad Days episode last night....it should only run about 6 hours.
captain2man

Postby Hal » Fri Oct 09, 2020 11:35 am

captain2man wrote:How about Don's voice?? Who knew Don Z. had a voice that was so silky & smoothy?

Like a cool Mr. Rogers.
Hal

Postby captain2man » Tue Oct 13, 2020 2:29 pm

The newest episode is now up - covering Dischord 15. Minor Threat's 'Salad Days' 7".

https://www.buzzsprout.com/893587/58642 ... eremy-dean

captain2man

Postby lewdd » Tue Oct 13, 2020 2:31 pm

Amazing how that release was #15 and they still put out so many releases after that.
lewdd

Postby captain2man » Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:25 pm

lewdd wrote:Amazing how that release was #15 and they still put out so many releases after that.

By my count, we have three more Minor Threat episodes to go.
captain2man

Postby captain2man » Mon Oct 19, 2020 1:05 pm

The new episode is now up, covering Dischord 15.5 - Scream - 'This Side Up'. Interviews with Franz Stahl & Kent Stax.

I'll just go on record as saying now that this was my favorite Dischord release that I was unfamiliar with before starting to co-host this podcast.

https://www.buzzsprout.com/893587/59570 ... -kent-stax

captain2man

Postby captain2man » Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:38 am

The newest End on End is now up. This week, we cover Dischord 15 3/4 - Reptile House's 'I Stumble As the Crow Flies'.

Interviews with Daniel Higgs & London May.

https://www.buzzsprout.com/893587/60829 ... niel-higgs

captain2man

Postby Gary » Tue Oct 27, 2020 3:47 pm

Hey,you guys mentioned a comparison between the Ruts and Thin Lizzy.
Just an interesting note on that. Phil Lynott wrote a song for the Ruts

The Ruts never recorded it for release,but it did get released on the first Gary Moore solo lp Which Phil Lynott plays on

Of course Thin Lizzy also have connections to the Sex Pistols through The Greedies

And took bands like the Radiators on tour with them
Gary

Postby captain2man » Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:44 am

I knew the Thin Lizzy/Sex Pistols connection - but I did NOT know the Thin Lizzy/Ruts connection. That's excellent stuff. Thanks!
captain2man

Postby lewdd » Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:46 am

I never knew about that Ruts song either. I wish they would have been able to make a studio recording of it. It sounds like a ripper.
lewdd

Postby captain2man » Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:41 am

lewdd wrote:I never knew about that Ruts song either. I wish they would have been able to make a studio recording of it. It sounds like a ripper.

The Gary Moore version is pretty ripping actually.
captain2man

Postby the mean » Wed Oct 28, 2020 12:50 pm

Pretty sure David Rhodes played bass on the Reptile House track on the Bouncing Babies comp.
the mean

Postby captain2man » Wed Oct 28, 2020 2:07 pm

the mean wrote:Pretty sure David Rhodes played bass on the Reptile House track on the Bouncing Babies comp.

Entirely possible. Not going to get every last detail right, especially with bands like these where there's really not a whole lot out there about them. Rhodes was out of the band at the end of '83, and that comp came out in '84. I don't have the comp itself - but maybe there's some info in the insert that would clue us in?

In any event....I appreciate the correction.

It can be a good drinking game to see how much stuff we get wrong....hopefully you would only get the slightest of buzzes.
captain2man

Postby the mean » Wed Oct 28, 2020 2:53 pm

I'm way behind because I usually listen to podcasts in the car or on the train, but now I work from home and don't go anywhere. Ran some errands this morning and started listening. Drove about a half hour and noticed that you still hadn't started on Reptile House yet. Looked down and said "holy shit this is three and a half hours long." That's a lot of podcast. Got about an hour in today.
the mean

Postby captain2man » Thu Oct 29, 2020 7:45 am

the mean wrote:I'm way behind because I usually listen to podcasts in the car or on the train, but now I work from home and don't go anywhere. Ran some errands this morning and started listening. Drove about a half hour and noticed that you still hadn't started on Reptile House yet. Looked down and said "holy shit this is three and a half hours long." That's a lot of podcast. Got about an hour in today.

Yeah - we blab a lot. Feel free to use the skip button to get to the parts you want. We know the length isn't everyone's cup of tea...but the thing about tea, is that if you don't like one brand of tea, there are other brands of tea - or you can make your own tea!

Our podcast is conversational, we like to talk about music & stuff, and so we do. Plus, the interviews are often lengthy and often there's more than one. I feel like it's a repository of information for these releases that people can come back to - maybe a year or two years from now. If someone wants to hear a Reptile House podcast - it'll probably be the most comprehensive single podcast episode about that band ever - so it's there for posterity.

Our biggest criticism is the length of the podcast....and I get that. Totally fair point. But just as many people like that they're long & meaty....it keeps them company over the course of a week or for long drives or walks.

I admit that 4+ on United Mutation was probably ridiculous though.
captain2man

Postby Hal » Thu Oct 29, 2020 8:21 am

I'm still getting through hour 4 of the Salad Days episode :lol:
Hal

Postby Nico » Thu Oct 29, 2020 8:40 am

captain2man wrote:
the mean wrote:I'm way behind because I usually listen to podcasts in the car or on the train, but now I work from home and don't go anywhere. Ran some errands this morning and started listening. Drove about a half hour and noticed that you still hadn't started on Reptile House yet. Looked down and said "holy shit this is three and a half hours long." That's a lot of podcast. Got about an hour in today.

But still this might be my favourite episode due to hearing some back story on United Mutation that isn't available elsewhere.
Nico

Postby lewdd » Thu Oct 29, 2020 11:36 am

These are podcasts. They are oral documentaries. :D
lewdd

Postby captain2man » Tue Nov 10, 2020 2:27 pm

The new episode is now up. We're off the Dischord path as we have an interview with Vic Bondi. The discussion basically focuses on Articles of Faith, but we gloss over his numerous other musical projects as well. Also a mini-interview with Steve Hansgen who talks with us about his love for The Damned.

https://www.buzzsprout.com/893587/63013 ... -vic-bondi
captain2man

Postby creature » Tue Nov 10, 2020 3:34 pm

captain2man wrote:The new episode is now up. We're off the Dischord path as we have an interview with Vic Bondi. The discussion basically focuses on Articles of Faith, but we gloss over his numerous other musical projects as well. Also a mini-interview with Steve Hansgen who talks with us about his love for The Damned.

https://www.buzzsprout.com/893587/63013 ... -vic-bondi

Vic's a good dude. I've seen him play with two bands and solo acoustic in Seattle over the last few years. Always a pleasure to visit with him and his family.
creature

Postby gregpolard » Tue Nov 10, 2020 3:36 pm

captain2man wrote:

Yeah - we blab a lot. Feel free to use the skip button to get to the parts you want. We know the length isn't everyone's cup of tea...but the thing about tea, is that if you don't like one brand of tea, there are other brands of tea - or you can make your own tea!

Our podcast is conversational, we like to talk about music & stuff, and so we do. Plus, the interviews are often lengthy and often there's more than one. I feel like it's a repository of information for these releases that people can come back to - maybe a year or two years from now. If someone wants to hear a Reptile House podcast - it'll probably be the most comprehensive single podcast episode about that band ever - so it's there for posterity.

Our biggest criticism is the length of the podcast....and I get that. Totally fair point. But just as many people like that they're long & meaty....it keeps them company over the course of a week or for long drives or walks.

Don't sweat it! One thing I've learned in these last few months of my podcasting life is you cannot please everyone. We've had some hilariously ridiculous complaints.
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby the mean » Tue Nov 10, 2020 5:38 pm

I'm using my car again on Friday. Hopefully can finish the Reptile House episode.
the mean

Postby FlexMyHead » Tue Nov 10, 2020 8:30 pm

the mean wrote:I'm using my car again on Friday. Hopefully can finish the Reptile House episode.

Totally off topic, but I was listening to Baader Brains records tonight and you've commented on Kirsch stuff before, so I was curious if you knew what exactly the fuck was going on with them? There really isn't that much information about them online. I know it was after "Please inform" and there are elements of that band (interlude stuff) but then there is the Nation of Uylsses manifesto thing going on. Was is just like an art project thing or were they semi-serious about the music? The few live photos it looks like a huge joke, but the music is solid Kirsch stuff. Did they have a following or ? Was it the same people in Mothercountry Motherfuckers? It seems like a big inside joke and people like me that came in after they broke up have no clue what the fuck is going on.
FlexMyHead

Postby the mean » Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:23 pm

FlexMyHead wrote:
the mean wrote:I'm using my car again on Friday. Hopefully can finish the Reptile House episode.

Totally off topic, but I was listening to Baader Brains records tonight and you've commented on Kirsch stuff before, so I was curious if you knew what exactly the fuck was going on with them? There really isn't that much information about them online. I know it was after "Please inform" and there are elements of that band (interlude stuff) but then there is the Nation of Uylsses manifesto thing going on. Was is just like an art project thing or were they semi-serious about the music? The few live photos it looks like a huge joke, but the music is solid Kirsch stuff. Did they have a following or ? Was it the same people in Mothercountry Motherfuckers? It seems like a big inside joke and people like me that came in after they broke up have no clue what the fuck is going on.

Yeah, I wasn't living on the West Coast, so I didn't get to see any of those bands, unfortunately. My understanding is Sarah wanted to craft a whole artistic package to go along with the music (which was pretty in line with the rest of the things she did.) Definitely not a joke, but more of an absurd presentation to make an artistic point. Some of the same people in both Baader Brains and Mothercountry Motherfuckers. RIP. She was the best, and every bit the person that her music would lead you to believe.
the mean

Postby captain2man » Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:09 am

New episode is now up covering Dischord 16 - the Rites of Spring LP.

Maybe you've heard of it?

captain2man

Postby captain2man » Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:16 pm

The new End on End is now up.

This week, we cover Dischord 17 - Beefeater's 'Plays for Lovers'.

We have an interview with the three surviving members of that line-up: Onam Emmet (f/k/a Tomas Squip), Dug E. Bird and Bruce Taylor, as well as some commentary from Lars Von Keitz (Thorns).

https://www.buzzsprout.com/893587/65076 ... ?play=true

captain2man

Postby Marc M » Sat Nov 28, 2020 6:16 pm

What episode does it switch from Eldred to Jeff? I'm listening in order (except I skipped ahead to Salad Days since my old bandmate was on that one).
Marc M

Postby captain2man » Sat Nov 28, 2020 7:31 pm

Marc M wrote:What episode does it switch from Eldred to Jeff? I'm listening in order (except I skipped ahead to Salad Days since my old bandmate was on that one).

My first episode was the Flex Your Head (Side A) episode. Who's your bandmate/band?
captain2man

Postby Marc M » Sat Nov 28, 2020 8:44 pm

captain2man wrote:
Marc M wrote:What episode does it switch from Eldred to Jeff? I'm listening in order (except I skipped ahead to Salad Days since my old bandmate was on that one).

My first episode was the Flex Your Head (Side A) episode. Who's your bandmate/band?

Jon Roa / Justice League
Marc M

Postby captain2man » Sun Nov 29, 2020 9:22 am

Marc M wrote:
captain2man wrote:

Jon Roa / Justice League

Ah yes. He was a great guest!
captain2man

Postby version sound » Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:53 am

“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby captain2man » Mon Dec 07, 2020 4:26 pm

The new episode is up.

This week we interview Tom Lyle from GI and discuss their "middle years" - Joyride & Fun Just Never Ends.

https://www.buzzsprout.com/893587

captain2man

Postby captain2man » Tue Dec 15, 2020 8:24 am

The new episode is up.....we cover Dischord 17 1/2 - the Lunchmeat/Mission Impossible split 7" (interviews with the vocalists - Chris Page & Bobby Sullivan). We also chat about Generation X in the Stepping Stones segment....and some Hanukkah talk because why not.

Good 7"....features a bunch of guys who went on to do some other stuff.

captain2man

Postby captain2man » Thu Dec 24, 2020 1:41 pm

The final End On End Podcast for the year is now posted. This week, we take on "Discard" Records #18 - The Snakes first LP 'I Won't Love You 'til You're More Like Me'. Guests include Simon Jacobsen (The Snakes, The Extorts, S.O.A.), Hunter Bennett (Dot Dash) and Ben Merlis (Fields of Fire, Surprise Vacation & author).

https://www.buzzsprout.com/893587/69958 ... ?play=true

captain2man

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Sat Dec 26, 2020 7:35 pm

I was the one who actually discovered the Snakes. Kinda cool how some people (Hunter) caught on.

In fact, I had to work all freakin holiday so I'll be catching up on End on End tonight.
Last edited by xxxMidgexxx on Mon Dec 28, 2020 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
xxxMidgexxx

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Sat Dec 26, 2020 9:09 pm

Oh yeah. I hope Manifesto is going to be eventually covered in this podcast. One of Hampton's greatest achievements that no one talks about.
xxxMidgexxx

Postby captain2man » Sun Dec 27, 2020 6:38 pm

xxxMidgexxx wrote:Oh yeah. I hope Manifesto is going to be eventually covered in this podcast. One of Hampton's greatest achievements that no one talks about.

Not presently on the agenda - but we are doing a lot of sidetrips as they come up. I've never heard them & I'm not sure the End on End CEO is a huge fan.
captain2man

Postby Hal » Mon Dec 28, 2020 5:18 am

I really enjoyed the GI and Lunchmeat/MI episodes. Keep up the great work!
Hal

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Mon Dec 28, 2020 8:16 pm

captain2man wrote:
xxxMidgexxx wrote:Oh yeah. I hope Manifesto is going to be eventually covered in this podcast. One of Hampton's greatest achievements that no one talks about.

Not presently on the agenda - but we are doing a lot of sidetrips as they come up. I've never heard them & I'm not sure the End on End CEO is a huge fan.

Imma msg Brian to do The Hated at one point. That was a GREAT band with some Dischord-esque ties, no? Back in the day I had the 2 x 7" and the debut single. Parting with records sucks, but one has to do what one had to do.
xxxMidgexxx

PreviousNext

Return to daghouse