End on End Podcast

Re: End on End Podcast

Postby captain2man » Tue Dec 29, 2020 8:20 am

xxxMidgexxx wrote:
captain2man wrote:
xxxMidgexxx wrote:Oh yeah. I hope Manifesto is going to be eventually covered in this podcast. One of Hampton's greatest achievements that no one talks about.

Not presently on the agenda - but we are doing a lot of sidetrips as they come up. I've never heard them & I'm not sure the End on End CEO is a huge fan.

Imma msg Brian to do The Hated at one point. That was a GREAT band with some Dischord-esque ties, no? Back in the day I had the 2 x 7" and the debut single. Parting with records sucks, but one has to do what one had to do.

We have talked about doing an episode about The Hated. So....maybe!
captain2man

Postby gregpolard » Wed Dec 30, 2020 5:08 pm

captain2man wrote:
xxxMidgexxx wrote:
captain2man wrote:
xxxMidgexxx wrote:Oh yeah. I hope Manifesto is going to be eventually covered in this podcast. One of Hampton's greatest achievements that no one talks about.

Not presently on the agenda - but we are doing a lot of sidetrips as they come up. I've never heard them & I'm not sure the End on End CEO is a huge fan.

Imma msg Brian to do The Hated at one point. That was a GREAT band with some Dischord-esque ties, no? Back in the day I had the 2 x 7" and the debut single. Parting with records sucks, but one has to do what one had to do.

We have talked about doing an episode about The Hated. So....maybe!

If you ever need someone to talk about their love of some of the following: Dag Nasty, Fugazi, Jawbox, SCREAM...

i'm here for you. I've gotten fairly used to talking on podcasts so I don't think it would be a total failure :lol:
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby lewdd » Wed Dec 30, 2020 5:15 pm

If you ever need someone to talk about their love of some of the following: beer, bbq, Steelers, Flyers, Mets, 76ers - I'm here for you.
lewdd

Postby captain2man » Thu Dec 31, 2020 8:01 am

gregpolard wrote:If you ever need someone to talk about their love of some of the following: Dag Nasty, Fugazi, Jawbox, SCREAM...

i'm here for you. I've gotten fairly used to talking on podcasts so I don't think it would be a total failure :lol:

Would be great to have you on as a guest. Give me some specific records that you would be into talking about....the more under-the-radar, the better.
captain2man

Postby captain2man » Thu Dec 31, 2020 8:01 am

lewdd wrote:If you ever need someone to talk about their love of some of the following: beer, bbq, Steelers, Flyers, Mets, 76ers - I'm here for you.

Let's meet up at the bar for a Mets game and do that!
captain2man

Postby lewdd » Thu Dec 31, 2020 8:39 am

captain2man wrote:
lewdd wrote:If you ever need someone to talk about their love of some of the following: beer, bbq, Steelers, Flyers, Mets, 76ers - I'm here for you.

Sounds like a plan...for mid to later part of the season after I have my vaccine shots
lewdd

Postby gregpolard » Thu Dec 31, 2020 8:53 am

captain2man wrote:
gregpolard wrote:If you ever need someone to talk about their love of some of the following: Dag Nasty, Fugazi, Jawbox, SCREAM...

Would be great to have you on as a guest. Give me some specific records that you would be into talking about....the more under-the-radar, the better.

I love Scream "Fumble" & "Banging The Drum" which as far as Scream goes, are pretty under the radar (even though one of them has Dave Grohl on it) haha
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby JGJR » Thu Dec 31, 2020 9:07 am

captain2man wrote:

I'm totally crashing that meetup.
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby target » Thu Dec 31, 2020 12:50 pm

If you do Swiz or Severin episodes I have a lot of dirt to dish...
target

Postby captain2man » Thu Dec 31, 2020 12:59 pm

target wrote:If you do Swiz or Severin episodes I have a lot of dirt to dish...

By my count, there will be five episodes for Severin - which we may or may not get to in 2021. Swiz never released anything on Dischord, but in my opinion, they're an important enough band that we should go off the path and cover them at some point.
captain2man

Postby lewdd » Thu Dec 31, 2020 1:46 pm

Will Pedro be joining you to share some stories when the two of you were on the road together with Swiz? Did you listen to London Calling a lot during the van rides? ;)
lewdd

Postby gregpolard » Thu Dec 31, 2020 2:39 pm

Would love Swiz episodes!
gregpolard

Postby pedro » Thu Dec 31, 2020 2:48 pm

lewdd wrote:

Will Pedro be joining you to share some stories when the two of you were on the road together with Swiz? Did you listen to London Calling a lot during the van rides? ;)

I actually have a very specific memory of Shawn and I listening to "Death or Glory" while I was driving and he was in charge of keeping me awake in the middle of the night. Everyone else was sleeping. Not sure why that one sticks. At that point it was only the 8th or 9th anniversary edition. Generally speaking we were a Metallica and AC/DC van.

I could serve as a fact checker for target, as he often misremembers things. Who told the wrestling joke comes to mind.
Hello.
pedro

Postby version sound » Thu Dec 31, 2020 4:39 pm

captain2man wrote:

By my count, there will be five episodes for Severin - which we may or may not get to in 2021. Swiz never released anything on Dischord, but in my opinion, they're an important enough band that we should go off the path and cover them at some point.

Well...Sammich was Amanda MacKaye’s label and was funded by Dischord (IIRC), so Swiz kind of were on Dischord, in a round about way.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby captain2man » Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:57 am

We have finally reached a Dag Nasty episode....this week, we cover Can I Say. I get to do a rare interview for the feature spot - none other than Dave Smalley himself.

https://www.buzzsprout.com/893587/72319 ... ve-smalley

captain2man

Postby gregpolard » Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:38 am

captain2man wrote:We have finally reached a Dag Nasty episode....this week, we cover Can I Say. I get to do a rare interview for the feature spot - none other than Dave Smalley himself.

https://www.buzzsprout.com/893587/72319 ... ve-smalley

Been looking forward to this one! About to crack into it now.
gregpolard

Postby gregpolard » Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:37 am

Great listen. Some Rule of Thumb talk at the end :)
gregpolard

Postby captain2man » Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:48 am

gregpolard wrote:Great listen. Some Rule of Thumb talk at the end :)

There were a few obscure things from his catalog & I wanted to ask him about, but he played the "I have arts & crafts to do with my daughter" card and I knew I had to wrap it up....but I had to at least ask about that one.
captain2man

Postby Marc M » Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:43 pm

captain2man wrote:

If you need someone to talk Wig Out I'd be down. I think we determined I've seen Dag more times than anyone else on this board and I have a flaming head tattoo so I must be an expert...
Marc M

Postby captain2man » Mon Jan 18, 2021 5:27 pm

The new episode is now up.

Dischord 20 - the Egg Hunt 7".

Interview with Todd Friend, drummer from H2O and Outcrowd.

https://www.buzzsprout.com/893587/73462 ... odd-friend

captain2man

Postby gregpolard » Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:31 am

Since captain2man is in the midst of a move I figure I'll let everyone know that the Gray Matter "Take It Back" episode is up now with my friend Ben Merlis as guest co-host. Interviews with Geoff Turner & Mark Haggerty too.
gregpolard

Postby the mean » Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:29 pm

Brian also has a new podcast called "The Unanimous Hour" which is doing an episode on each and every Lungfish song.
the mean

Postby captain2man » Tue Feb 02, 2021 2:08 pm

gregpolard wrote:Since captain2man is in the midst of a move I figure I'll let everyone know that the Gray Matter "Take It Back" episode is up now with my friend Ben Merlis as guest co-host. Interviews with Geoff Turner & Mark Haggerty too.

I was just about to post! I'm listening now....Ben's doing a damn fine job so far.

Here's the direct link to the episode...

https://www.buzzsprout.com/893587/76271 ... ?play=true
captain2man

Postby captain2man » Wed Feb 10, 2021 8:07 am

The new episode is up.

This week - it's Dischord 22 - Rites of Spring - 'All Through a Life'.

https://www.buzzsprout.com/893587/77600 ... ?play=true
captain2man

Postby gregpolard » Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:07 am

This was a great listen. I love that ROS 7" - always have.
gregpolard

Postby captain2man » Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:32 am

gregpolard wrote:This was a great listen. I love that ROS 7" - always have.

Yeah! Like I said in my quick "check-in" segment, I really wasn't too familiar with those songs. But I definitely grew to like and appreciate them. So different from the LP.
captain2man

Postby JGJR » Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:45 am

captain2man wrote:
gregpolard wrote:This was a great listen. I love that ROS 7" - always have.

Yeah! Like I said in my quick "check-in" segment, I really wasn't too familiar with those songs. But I definitely grew to like and appreciate them. So different from the LP.

My 1st exposure to them was a dub of the End on End CD back in the early '90s (my old friend Raf from the PDX hardcore band Unrestrained copied it for me back in the tape trading days) and then I bought the CD, so that's the order I'm still used to hearing that stuff in. I don't even own the 7" (should fix that), but for that reason, I know those songs just as well.
JGJR

Postby captain2man » Thu Mar 04, 2021 6:47 pm

The last couple of months, I've been tied up in moving - putting the podcast a bit on the backburner for me. Ben Merlis has done an excellent job keeping the seat warm.

But, since my last post, episodes have gone up for Soulside (Less Deep Inside Keeps) & Marginal Man (Double Image).

We record tonight for Beefeater's House Burning Down (like the Soulside episode - a threesome with Brian, Ben and myself).

All episodes are on Apple/iTunes, Spotify or here - https://www.buzzsprout.com/893587
captain2man

Postby Hal » Fri Mar 05, 2021 10:18 am

Really enjoyed the Soulside episode. The trio works well! Keeps things moving. Thanks for all of your hard work!
Hal

Postby gregpolard » Fri Mar 05, 2021 10:56 am

Hal wrote:Really enjoyed the Soulside episode. The trio works well! Keeps things moving. Thanks for all of your hard work!

I was going to say, the episodes just keep getting better. I feel like the three of you on together is the real sweet spot. Hopefully Ben stays aboard!
gregpolard

Postby JGJR » Fri Mar 05, 2021 11:55 am

I loved the episode on Gray Matter's Take It Back. I wish there was more of you on it, Jeff, but while I think your review of it and Food for Thought was pretty insightful, I'm really surprised that you'd never heard them before!
JGJR

Postby captain2man » Sat Mar 06, 2021 6:44 pm

gregpolard wrote:
Hal wrote:Really enjoyed the Soulside episode. The trio works well! Keeps things moving. Thanks for all of your hard work!

I was going to say, the episodes just keep getting better. I feel like the three of you on together is the real sweet spot. Hopefully Ben stays aboard!

Ben won't be on the Embrace episode....but it's definitely a good feel with him aboard. I'm not sure how it will go in the long run. There are definitely some episodes in the future that I'd definitely want him to be on. Ultimately, Brian is the captain of the End on End ship - so we'll see where he steers us.
captain2man

Postby captain2man » Sat Mar 06, 2021 6:44 pm

JGJR wrote:I loved the episode on Gray Matter's Take It Back. I wish there was more of you on it, Jeff, but while I think your review of it and Food for Thought was pretty insightful, I'm really surprised that you'd never heard them before!

Thanks!

There are so many classic Dischord bands and releases that I've genuinely never heard. It's a big reason why I enjoy doing the show so much.
captain2man

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Sat Mar 06, 2021 7:19 pm

the mean wrote:Brian also has a new podcast called "The Unanimous Hour" which is doing an episode on each and every Lungfish song.

oh dear lord.
xxxMidgexxx

Postby version sound » Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:06 pm

Late chime in re: the Reptile House episode:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Druid_Hill_Park
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby version sound » Wed Mar 10, 2021 4:26 pm

captain2man wrote:Image

On to this one now. My prediction: you don’t like it.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby captain2man » Thu Mar 11, 2021 12:53 pm

version sound wrote:On to this one now. My prediction: you don’t like it.

:lol:

I guess you'll have to see. The House Burning Down episode just came out a couple of days ago, and we'll also be doing an episode on Need A Job to finish off the Beefeater catalog.
captain2man

Postby gregpolard » Thu Mar 11, 2021 1:07 pm

Really enjoyed the "House Burning Down" episode. I've grown to love that record. Signed up for the patreon too!
gregpolard

Postby captain2man » Tue Mar 16, 2021 9:47 am

Our episode covering Dischord #24 - the Embrace LP - was released this morning.

Features interviews with Embrace drummer Ivor Hanson and Jim Spellman (Foxhall Stacks/Velocity Girl/High Back Chairs).

https://www.buzzsprout.com/893587/81496 ... m-spellman
captain2man

Postby gregpolard » Tue Mar 16, 2021 10:03 am

Listening now. Great episode so far. Just finished the Jim Spellman interview
gregpolard

Postby JGJR » Wed Mar 17, 2021 9:20 am

captain2man wrote:Our episode covering Dischord #24 - the Embrace LP - was released this morning.

Features interviews with Embrace drummer Ivor Hanson and Jim Spellman (Foxhall Stacks/Velocity Girl/High Back Chairs).

https://www.buzzsprout.com/893587/81496 ... m-spellman

Oh wow; I can't wait to listen to this.
JGJR

Postby gregpolard » Wed Mar 17, 2021 9:21 am

Might be my favorite episode yet. Jim Spellman offers some great insight and then the interview with Ivor was just so rad.
gregpolard

Postby captain2man » Wed Mar 31, 2021 6:14 pm

Our newest episode is now up - this week we discuss Dischord 25 - Scream's Banging the Drum.

Our guests are Skeeter Thompson and Daghouse's own Greg Polard!

https://www.buzzsprout.com/893587/82445 ... reg-polard
captain2man

Postby lewdd » Wed Mar 31, 2021 6:16 pm

Did Greg get to plug his 8 podcasts?
lewdd

Postby captain2man » Wed Mar 31, 2021 6:33 pm

lewdd wrote:Did Greg get to plug his 8 podcasts?

I honestly skip over the interviews & just like listening to the sound of my own voice. So - maybe?
captain2man

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:02 pm

captain2man wrote:

I honestly skip over the interviews & just like listening to the sound of my own voice. So - maybe?

If Brian is really doing a Lungfish podcast, I will have to re-think our acquaintanceship.
xxxMidgexxx

Postby lewdd » Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:11 pm

captain2man wrote:

Good for him. Hopefully, he finds you a spot on one of his podcasts to promote your podcast and bands.
lewdd

Postby captain2man » Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:26 pm

Greg is great and he did an excellent job....and yes...we certainly mentioned Where We Went.

Unfortunately, they already covered my favorite Revelation release....so....oh well for that.
captain2man

Postby lewdd » Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:39 pm

Yeah, he's a good egg. I need to get down to Philly again to do some record shopping with him. I think I last saw him a few years ago at a Descendents show at the Fillmore.
lewdd

Postby captain2man » Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:05 am

lewdd wrote:Yeah, he's a good egg. I need to get down to Philly again to do some record shopping with him. I think I last saw him a few years ago at a Descendents show at the Fillmore.

Then come to New York & we'll all hang!
captain2man

PreviousNext

Return to daghouse