End on End Podcast

Re: End on End Podcast

Postby JGJR » Thu Apr 01, 2021 3:08 pm

captain2man wrote:Greg is great and he did an excellent job....and yes...we certainly mentioned Where We Went.

Unfortunately, they already covered my favorite Revelation release....so....oh well for that.

Which release?
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby lewdd » Fri Apr 02, 2021 6:01 am

captain2man wrote:
lewdd wrote:Yeah, he's a good egg. I need to get down to Philly again to do some record shopping with him. I think I last saw him a few years ago at a Descendents show at the Fillmore.

Then come to New York & we'll all hang!

NYC is on my list too.
lewdd

Postby captain2man » Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:59 am

JGJR wrote:
captain2man wrote:Greg is great and he did an excellent job....and yes...we certainly mentioned Where We Went.

Unfortunately, they already covered my favorite Revelation release....so....oh well for that.

Which release?

I like a LOT of Revelation releases...but....for me - Supertouch - 'The Earth is Flat'.
captain2man

Postby JGJR » Fri Apr 02, 2021 12:00 pm

captain2man wrote:
JGJR wrote:

Which release?

I like a LOT of Revelation releases...but....for me - Supertouch - 'The Earth is Flat'.

Interesting choice; I've only heard it in the last year and I like it quite a bit myself, but I need to spend more time with it. I described it to Greg as sounding like Vision smoking blunts all day while jamming Jane's Addiction's Nothing Shocking. That's a high compliment!
JGJR

Postby captain2man » Fri Apr 02, 2021 1:41 pm

JGJR wrote:Interesting choice; I've only heard it in the last year and I like it quite a bit myself, but I need to spend more time with it. I described it to Greg as sounding like Vision smoking blunts all day while jamming Jane's Addiction's Nothing Shocking. That's a high compliment!

It's probably not an album a lot of people would call their favorite Revelation album....I mean - there are obviously some real heavy hitters on that label.

But I just love every song on that record - it has its own style and sound and is somehow post-NYHC if such a genre could even ever exist. Joe Graziano's bass playing on that album is absolutely sick....an amazing performance top to bottom.

It's an album that's been with me for almost 30 years - so - there's the benefit of time for it to impact me the way it does. In fact...I think I'm going to break it out right now.
captain2man

Postby JGJR » Fri Apr 02, 2021 2:13 pm

captain2man wrote:
JGJR wrote:Interesting choice; I've only heard it in the last year and I like it quite a bit myself, but I need to spend more time with it. I described it to Greg as sounding like Vision smoking blunts all day while jamming Jane's Addiction's Nothing Shocking. That's a high compliment!

It's probably not an album a lot of people would call their favorite Revelation album....I mean - there are obviously some real heavy hitters on that label.

But I just love every song on that record - it has its own style and sound and is somehow post-NYHC if such a genre could even ever exist. Joe Graziano's bass playing on that album is absolutely sick....an amazing performance top to bottom.

It's an album that's been with me for almost 30 years - so - there's the benefit of time for it to impact me the way it does. In fact...I think I'm going to break it out right now.

If I'd heard it many years earlier, I might agree with you. It's a really good and overlooked record for sure and on 2nd listen, the production didn't even bother me (seems to be a common complaint with this record). As far as my favorite Rev 12" go, I'd have to go with either Start Today or the Statue 12", personally. Of course, post-NYHC exists. Look at Shelter, Quicksand, Orange 9MM, et al. and they are part of that tradition/style shift, et al. I may not have "gotten" it back in my punker than thou days (early to mid '90s), but circa 1990/91 when Jane's Addiction was my favorite band, I might have loved it and now, of course I dig it.

I will also say that they were fantastic live back then, too; only managed to catch them once at Middlesex in 1992 and I barely remember it tbh; I think they were my 2nd Middlesex show.
JGJR

Postby captain2man » Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:26 am

End On End has hit episode #50!

And what better way to celebrate than to discuss Dischord #26 - Dag Nasty's 'Wig Out at Denkos'.

Guests are Dag bassist Doug Carrion, as well as Kevin Egan (Beyond, 1.6 Band, The Last Crime) and Dominic and Sam from the Bad Music Taste podcast!

https://www.buzzsprout.com/893587/82799 ... kevin-egan
captain2man

Postby gregpolard » Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:23 pm

captain2man wrote:End On End has hit episode #50!

And what better way to celebrate than to discuss Dischord #26 - Dag Nasty's 'Wig Out at Denkos'.

Guests are Dag bassist Doug Carrion, as well as Kevin Egan (Beyond, 1.6 Band, The Last Crime) and Dominic and Sam from the Bad Music Taste podcast!

Playing this now. Jeff, I'm with you...my first exposure to the band was the twofer CD.

Honestly I think most days I prefer Wig Out to Can I Say. But sometimes I go the other way.
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby JGJR » Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:25 pm

gregpolard wrote:Honestly I think most days I prefer Wig Out to Can I Say.

Forever mood.
JGJR

Postby Hal » Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:27 pm

gregpolard wrote:
captain2man wrote:End On End has hit episode #50!

Playing this now. Jeff, I'm with you...my first exposure to the band was the twofer CD.

Honestly I think most days I prefer Wig Out to Can I Say. But sometimes I go the other way.

Can I Say is among my top 3 all-time albums. That said, for about a decade now, my go-to has been either Wig Out or Dag w/Shawn.

I was only able to get through 2:17 of the podcast this week. Haven't even reached Doug's interview yet. Hoping to catch up on my flight to L.A. on Monday.
Hal

Postby jaybird » Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:59 pm

Listened to about 3/4 of it the other night... Some good discussion and background info on the songs and the recording sessions, but I found myself in serious disagreement over how you guys ranged from nearly-scornful to general indifference regarding a lot of Brian's guitar work on this record... I've always thought that the guitar-hero fretboard wizardy on this record was what puts it over the top and sets it head and shoulders above almost everything else on the Dischord roster... this album and Descendents ALL were two of my primary go-to examples to prove all my high-school hesher metalhead friends wrong when they used to rag on punk bands as a bunch of talentless hacks who "could not play their instruments".

On a different note, during one of the brief side-discussions about Junkyard, I think one of you wondered in passing what could have been if Brian had done more of a speed-metal-ish type project instead of Junkyard's more Southern boogie-rock... I remember hearing back in the day that he was seriously approached to play guitar with Exodus in the late 80s, supposedly due to how impressed those guys were when they heard his playing on this album... does anyone else remember hearing/reading that back then?

Anyway, good podcast... Doug likes to talk.
jaybird

Postby Hal » Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:13 pm

jaybird wrote:this album and Descendents ALL were two of my primary go-to examples to prove all my high-school hesher metalhead friends wrong when they used to rag on punk bands as a bunch of talentless hacks who "could not play their instruments".

THIS!!! Lol, totally can relate.
Hal

Postby gregpolard » Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:45 pm

I hate to throw him under the bus but I'm going to let everyone know that JGJR legit told me that his favorite song on Wig Out is "When I Move". And we thought VS was the board contrarian! :lol:
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby JGJR » Fri Apr 09, 2021 7:04 pm

gregpolard wrote:I hate to throw him under the bus but I'm going to let everyone know that JGJR legit told me that his favorite song on Wig Out is "When I Move". And we thought VS was the board contrarian! :lol:

Come at me. :lol:
JGJR

Postby captain2man » Sun Apr 11, 2021 7:25 pm

jaybird wrote:Listened to about 3/4 of it the other night... Some good discussion and background info on the songs and the recording sessions, but I found myself in serious disagreement over how you guys ranged from nearly-scornful to general indifference regarding a lot of Brian's guitar work on this record... I've always thought that the guitar-hero fretboard wizardy on this record was what puts it over the top and sets it head and shoulders above almost everything else on the Dischord roster... this album and Descendents ALL were two of my primary go-to examples to prove all my high-school hesher metalhead friends wrong when they used to rag on punk bands as a bunch of talentless hacks who "could not play their instruments".

On a different note, during one of the brief side-discussions about Junkyard, I think one of you wondered in passing what could have been if Brian had done more of a speed-metal-ish type project instead of Junkyard's more Southern boogie-rock... I remember hearing back in the day that he was seriously approached to play guitar with Exodus in the late 80s, supposedly due to how impressed those guys were when they heard his playing on this album... does anyone else remember hearing/reading that back then?

Doug was a good guest. Very enthusiastic and....remembers stuff (you'd be surprised). I messaged him to thank him for his time and we had a really cool back & forth. Genuinely nice dude.

As far as Baker....it's funny.....because in recording the episode, I didn't feel we were all that critical of him. We're both huge fans of his work and his guitar playing. I think maybe (co-host) Brian wasn't a fan of some of his solos, but that was about it. I love his playing on the record....his riffing on "Trying" is nuts!
captain2man

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:37 pm

gregpolard wrote:I hate to throw him under the bus but I'm going to let everyone know that JGJR legit told me that his favorite song on Wig Out is "When I Move". And we thought VS was the board contrarian! :lol:

xxxHunterxxx's favorite Black Sabbath album is 'Technical Ecstasy'.
xxxMidgexxx

Postby jaybird » Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:11 am

captain2man wrote:
jaybird wrote:Listened to about 3/4 of it the other night... Some good discussion and background info on the songs and the recording sessions, but I found myself in serious disagreement over how you guys ranged from nearly-scornful to general indifference regarding a lot of Brian's guitar work on this record... I've always thought that the guitar-hero fretboard wizardy on this record was what puts it over the top and sets it head and shoulders above almost everything else on the Dischord roster... this album and Descendents ALL were two of my primary go-to examples to prove all my high-school hesher metalhead friends wrong when they used to rag on punk bands as a bunch of talentless hacks who "could not play their instruments".

Doug was a good guest. Very enthusiastic and....remembers stuff (you'd be surprised). I messaged him to thank him for his time and we had a really cool back & forth. Genuinely nice dude.

As far as Baker....it's funny.....because in recording the episode, I didn't feel we were all that critical of him. We're both huge fans of his work and his guitar playing. I think maybe (co-host) Brian wasn't a fan of some of his solos, but that was about it. I love his playing on the record....his riffing on "Trying" is nuts!

Yeah, it was definitely more your co-host who kept making sort of passive-aggressive/snide comments about "wankery" and "ooooh, look what Brian can do". Which is fair enough, people have different opinions on stuff. Just stood out to me because I've always though his playing on this record set a new standard for top-notch musicianship in hardcore/punk music.
jaybird

Postby creature » Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:40 am

captain2man wrote:

I grew up with Doug in the beach cities of SoCal and he was/is always entertaining. And we both fucking went nuts at the front of the stage during a Minor Threat set in 82. When he sang during one Con 800 house party, he whipped everyone into a frenzy and someone kicked a hole in a wall. Good times.
creature

Postby captain2man » Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:39 am

Episode 51 of End on End has hit the airwaves.

This week we discuss Dischord 26 1/2 (split release with IG Records) - the second release from Ignition - the "Anger Means/Proven Hollow" single.

This week are guests are Mark O'Connor a/k/a Scrote (from the Daycare Swindlers) and Tim Green (Nation of Ulysses / Vile Cherubs / Fucking Champs) and we play a very rarely heard Doc Hopper cover of "Anger Means", recorded back in '93 for an aborted Suburban Voice Dischord tribute comp.
captain2man

Postby JGJR » Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:09 am

captain2man wrote:Episode 51 of End on End has hit the airwaves.

This week we discuss Dischord 26 1/2 (split release with IG Records) - the second release from Ignition - the "Anger Means/Proven Hollow" single.

This week are guests are Mark O'Connor a/k/a Scrote (from the Daycare Swindlers) and Tim Green (Nation of Ulysses / Vile Cherubs / Fucking Champs) and we play a very rarely heard Doc Hopper cover of "Anger Means", recorded back in '93 for an aborted Suburban Voice Dischord tribute comp.

Those paragraphs could not be more "me." That's my favorite Ignition release, I've even been thinking of getting a shirt with the design of the cover of that 7", and I saw Doc Hopper play countless times back then. I haven't listened to them in a long time, though. I should get another copy of Aloha at some point, but more to the point, I had no idea they covered that or that the Dischord tribute comp was supposed to happen and I was reading SV regularly at the time. I remember Chris' Wig Out tattoo, though, so it makes sense.
JGJR

Postby captain2man » Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:16 pm

The new End on End podcast is now up.

This week we cover Dischord 26 3/4 / Sammich 3 - the debut Shudder to Think release - the 'It Was Arson' 7".

Guests are StT's own Craig Wedren & Stuart Hill.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/s ... 0518805026
captain2man

Postby version sound » Tue May 04, 2021 3:58 pm

Listening to the Can I Say episode. As usual, I’m out of step with most of the Dag board (though not with co-host Brian). I just don’t love this record. I was a guy who loved later Minor Threat (still am, musically speaking, I’ll take OOS over the first two records any day of the week), but by 1985 I was ready for something new, and I was all in for the Revolution Summer stuff. Compared to those bands, Dag Nasty seemed pretty retrogressive. Then again, I’ll contradict myself by saying that I was psyched to hear that Dave had joined the band because I hadn’t heard the second DYS record and 100% expected (or hoped for) those Brotherhood vocals. So yeah, even though I was onboard for progress, I was also all about the idea of Brotherhood era Dave singing for Minor Threat (or as close as you could get to that). I got neither. Co-host Brian made a good point about Shawn’s vocals making these songs sound more like Minor Threat. Maybe that’s why I DO love the Shawn versions. Then again, maybe it’s just because I love Shawn in all things. Anyway, good episode.

Edit: I DO like Can I Say, just in case this post reads like a dis, it definitely isn’t. I like the record very much. Enough to have owned 4 copies on vinyl over the years and to still own the copy I bought when it came out. But...it’s not one of my favorite Dischord releases. It’s not in my top 10 and might not be in my top 20, but that says more about how much I love the label than anything else.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby captain2man » Wed May 05, 2021 6:43 am

The new End on End podcast is now up.

This week - we tackle Dischord 27 - the Minor Threat 'Live' video/DVD. Our guest is Jim Saah (photographer & co-producer of the Salad Days doc).

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/m ... 0520145158
captain2man

Postby captain2man » Tue May 11, 2021 4:35 pm

In light of all the boxset talk - I hope I can interest at least a few of you in the latest installment of End on End.

This week we cover Dischord 28 - the Fire Party 12".

Our guests this week are....the entire band....as in - a full reunion (if not musically) of Amy Pickering, Kate Samworth, Natalie Avery & Nicky Thomas.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/f ... 0521367738
captain2man

Postby captain2man » Wed May 26, 2021 8:34 am

The newest episode of End on End podcast is now out. This week, it's DIschord 29 - Soul Side's 'Trigger'.

Interviews with 3/4's of the band: Bobby Sullivan, Johnny Temple & Alexis Fleisig.

Thanks to fellow Daghouser Greg Polard for pinch-hitting for me this week.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/s ... 0523116144
captain2man

Postby gregpolard » Wed May 26, 2021 12:59 pm

captain2man wrote:The newest episode of End on End podcast is now out. This week, it's DIschord 29 - Soul Side's 'Trigger'.

Interviews with 3/4's of the band: Bobby Sullivan, Johnny Temple & Alexis Fleisig.

Thanks to fellow Daghouser Greg Polard for pinch-hitting for me this week.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/s ... 0523116144

So fun. Thanks for trusting me with this one!
gregpolard

Postby captain2man » Wed Jun 02, 2021 11:55 am

The new episode is now up.

This week, we cover (and cover and cover and cover) Dischord 30 - the first Fugazi 12" a/k/a "7 Songs".

Our guests are Guy Picciotto and producer Ted Nicely.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/f ... 0523869572
captain2man

Postby scannest » Wed Jun 02, 2021 12:16 pm

Ken Burns told the story of the Civil War in 11 hours and 30 minutes.
"It's got some great chanting on it" - gregpolard.
scannest

Postby captain2man » Wed Jun 02, 2021 12:59 pm

scannest wrote:Ken Burns told the story of the Civil War in 11 hours and 30 minutes.

The Civil War lasted four years.

The first Fugazi 12" has seven songs.

Seven is larger than four.

Listen to it in pieces....don't listen to it at all.....skip around to the interviews....you have the freedom my friend!!
captain2man

Postby Hal » Thu Jun 03, 2021 8:28 am

scannest wrote:Ken Burns told the story of the Civil War in 11 hours and 30 minutes.

:lol: I made it through 49 min. yesterday. Try to fit in another hour today.
Hal

Postby JGJR » Thu Jun 03, 2021 9:20 am

Hal wrote:

Thsi is my approach as well. I feel like I've listened to an entire podcast archive, but I've only listened to the Embrace, Gray Matter - Take it Back and maybe one other episode lol. Not a complaint btw; just wish there were more hours in the day sometimes.
JGJR

Postby Hal » Thu Jun 03, 2021 9:51 am

JGJR wrote:
Hal wrote:

Thsi is my approach as well. I feel like I've listened to an entire podcast archive, but I've only listened to the Embrace, Gray Matter - Take it Back and maybe one other episode lol. Not a complaint btw; just wish there were more hours in the day sometimes.

I wish my job was less hectic, so I wasn't having to pause the podcast every 5 min.
Hal

Postby version sound » Thu Jun 03, 2021 10:31 am

Hal wrote:

More is always more. As Jeff said, you can always skip over parts that don’t interest you. I am biased in favor of long podcasts though, since I have them on in the background while I work. The less I have to select something new to listen to the better.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby lewdd » Thu Jun 03, 2021 11:03 am

The problem is we work too much and have to be selective with fun time. I can't wait for that day when I have to start figuring out how to replace the time I currently spend working every week.
lewdd

Postby captain2man » Thu Jun 03, 2021 12:31 pm

This is the first time I've ever done this....but since this episode is so damn long.....

0:00 - opening bullshit
23:05 - Fugazi history lesson
54:30 - interview with Ted Niceley
100:10 - "drop the needle"
217:15 - interview with Guy Picciotto
297:20 - closing bullshit
captain2man

Postby version sound » Thu Jun 03, 2021 5:05 pm

I’m almost all the way through the Trigger episode. Good stuff, and it’s great to hear Greg podcast with someone with more reasonable opinions (sorry, Javier).
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby captain2man » Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:05 am

New episode now up. This week - we cover Dischord 31. Ignition - 'Machination'.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/i ... 0524722544
captain2man

Postby gregpolard » Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:24 am

version sound wrote:I’m almost all the way through the Trigger episode. Good stuff, and it’s great to hear Greg podcast with someone with more reasonable opinions (sorry, Javier).

LOL just seeing this now.
gregpolard

Postby captain2man » Tue Jun 22, 2021 12:00 pm

The first of our two-parter covering Dischord 32 - the State of the Union comp is now out.

This week we cover side A (Scream, Ignition, Soulside, Broken Siren, Christ on a Crutch, King Face, Rain and 3) and features the first half of our interview with the man who put it all together & founded Positive Force DC - Mark Andersen.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/s ... 0526498617
captain2man

Postby captain2man » Wed Jul 14, 2021 10:06 am

The new End on End is now up.

This week we discuss Dischord 33 - 3's 'Dark Days Coming'.

Interviews with 3 members of 3 (appropriate): Geoff Turner, Mark Haggerty & Steve Niles.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/3 ... 0528814671
captain2man

Postby captain2man » Wed Aug 11, 2021 11:46 am

Howdy...it's been awhile - how's the family?

The last three shows posted:

Dischord 33 1/3 - Vile Cherubs - 'Post Humorous Relief' LP - interviews with Jesse Quitslund, Tim Greene & Seth Lorinczi

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/v ... 0529527695

Dischord 33 2/3 - Holy Rollers - 'Origami Sessions' - no interviews - our shortest episode ever (90 minutes)

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/h ... 0530927555

Dischord 34 - Soulside - "Bass/103" 7" - interviews with Scott McCloud & Alexis Fleisig

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/s ... 0531662500
captain2man

Postby captain2man » Wed Sep 01, 2021 3:12 pm

The newest episode of End on End is now up.

This week we cover Dischord 36 - Fugazi's '13 Songs'.

Our guests include Daghouse's very own Chris Shary.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/f ... 0533969629
captain2man

Postby captain2man » Fri Oct 29, 2021 12:00 pm

Don't want to spam this wonderful board with weekly posts about our incessant ramblings...but - since the last post - we've covered the following:

Dischord 37 - FIRE PARTY - 'New Orleans Opera' (with full band interview) - https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/f ... 0534771872

Dischord 38 - SOUL SIDE - 'Hot Bodi-Gram' (with full band interview) - https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/s ... 0535490002

(non-Dischord) - KARATE - 'The Bed Is In The Ocean' (interview with Geoff Farina) - https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/k ... 0537679201

Dischord 39 - IGNITION - 'The Orafying Mysticle of...' (interviews with Dante Ferrando & Rudi Jung) - https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/i ... 0538527486

Dischord 40 - MINOR THREAT - 'Complete Discography' (interviews with Luke Dolan, Mark Haggerty & Jason Hamacher) - https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/m ... 0540094622
captain2man

Previous

Return to daghouse