The Jazz Butcher

The Jazz Butcher

Postby crus » Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:32 am

They're a band I intended to dig deeper into after seeing them live on TV. 25 years later and I still haven't. Anyone know much about this band? Which album's are worth listening to? I really like their song, "She's on Drugs".
crus

Re: The Jazz Butcher

Postby patient_ot » Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:42 pm

I've got four or five or their albums. A lot of the catalog is out of print, which sucks because they/he did some great music.

Of the ones I have, "Fishcoteque" is probably my favorite. I think most people would recommend starting with "A Scandal in Bohemia" though...
patient_ot

Postby creature » Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:41 pm

I saw them at a backyard party in Los Angeles in '86 --- good stuff!
creature

Postby crus » Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:17 am

patient_ot wrote:I've got four or five or their albums. A lot of the catalog is out of print, which sucks because they/he did some great music.

Of the ones I have, "Fishcoteque" is probably my favorite. I think most people would recommend starting with "A Scandal in Bohemia" though...

Youtube's "Fishcoteque" vids grabbed me quite a lot when I doing some digging.
crus

Postby patient_ot » Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:33 am

Crus, I'd recommend any of these:

1986 Distressed Gentlefolk
1988 Fishcotheque
1989 Big Planet Scarey Planet
1990 Cult of the Basement

Also, there are a couple compilations of his early work that might be a good first purchase. As mentioned before, I think most people tend to rate "Scandal in Bohemia/Sex & Travel" as his key album and the "one to get". I don't know much about his other work outside of these five albums but I'd like to explore his discography more. I really wish he would work on a comprehensive reissue program, but with a cult artist like this it probably won't happen. Still, I would be grateful for paid lossless bandcamp downloads of his entire discography...
patient_ot

Return to daghouse