Last Music Documentaries Watched

Last Music Documentaries Watched

Postby lewdd » Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:54 am

Caught a Miles Davis 2 hours (no commercials) American Masters biography on PBS last night that I enjoyed. Didn't no much about him prior to watching other than he was a famous jazz musician. Very similar story to Ray Charles.
lewdd

Re: Last Music Documentaries Watched

Postby version sound » Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:16 pm

Punk Revolution NYC: The Velvet Underground, The New York Dolls And The CBGBs Set
Hip-Hop Evolution (Netflix series)
The Doors: Feast of Friends
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby Neal » Wed Feb 26, 2020 4:42 pm

the gits - really good and sad.

i'm now: the story of mudhoney - not a huge fan, but i'm usually up to watch most punk adjacent documentaries. decent, but not super interesting.

it's gonna blow!!! san diego's music underground 1986-1996 - was excited for this one, buttt, it was a little disappointing. hearing that stuff again, you can tell why none of those bands got big, besides anything reis/froberg or rob crow related.
Neal

Postby lewdd » Wed Feb 26, 2020 4:52 pm

Neal wrote:it's gonna blow!!! san diego's music underground 1986-1996 - was excited for this one, buttt, it was a little disappointing. hearing that stuff again, you can tell why none of those bands got big, besides anything reis/froberg or rob crow related.

Did they show Matt singing for Milestone? Or any bands that Drew or Aquaman played in?
lewdd

Postby Neal » Wed Feb 26, 2020 6:26 pm

lewdd wrote:
Neal wrote:it's gonna blow!!! san diego's music underground 1986-1996 - was excited for this one, buttt, it was a little disappointing. hearing that stuff again, you can tell why none of those bands got big, besides anything reis/froberg or rob crow related.

Did they show Matt singing for Milestone? Or any bands that Drew or Aquaman played in?

they showed milestone flyers and interviewed milo for a second, but not sure of the rest.
Neal

Postby scannest » Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:41 am

Neal wrote:they showed milestone flyers and interviewed milo for a second, but not sure of the rest.

Aquaman played in Jon Cougar Concentration Camp for awhile. I don't remember them being in the film.
"It's got some great chanting on it" - gregpolard.
scannest

Postby matt » Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:48 am

Neal wrote:
lewdd wrote:

they showed milestone flyers and interviewed milo for a second, but not sure of the rest.

About 90% of the flyers shown in the movie are from my collection.

hearing that stuff again, you can tell why none of those bands got big, besides anything reis/froberg or rob crow related.

Curious why you say that. It's impossible for me to be objective, as most of those bands are my friends and I saw them play/listened to that stuff hundreds of times. Also, pre-Pinback, Rob Crow's stuff was some of the most inaccessible, even for locals.
matt
Site Admin

Postby lewdd » Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:23 am

This is a great thread. Look at all of the information we learned already. :D
lewdd

Postby Neal » Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:26 am

matt wrote:
Neal wrote:
hearing that stuff again, you can tell why none of those bands got big, besides anything reis/froberg or rob crow related.

Curious why you say that. It's impossible for me to be objective, as most of those bands are my friends and I saw them play/listened to that stuff hundreds of times. Also, pre-Pinback, Rob Crow's stuff was some of the most inaccessible, even for locals.

i liked a bunch of earlier san diego stuff like sub society/inch, pitchfork, heavy vegetable/thingy, fishwife, but i feel like a lot of cargo stuff and the bands that got picked up by the majors were a little bland and just not that catchy. creedle, swivelneck, olivelawn (even though i really like fluf), three mile pilot (bleh), no knife, tanner. and i was expecting rocket from the crypt to be the most rockin' punk band ever and when i finally heard them i was like, people get this tattooed on themselves? i'm sure the scene and live experience was a whole other thing, but like with seattle/sub pop/grunge stuff, most of it didn't grab me.

even the hardcore/screamo stuff like heroin, swing kids and unbroken didn't really make sense to me. that said, i veer a lot more towards the melodic side for the most part.
Neal

Postby matt » Fri Feb 28, 2020 6:28 am

Neal wrote:i liked a bunch of earlier san diego stuff like sub society/inch, pitchfork, heavy vegetable/thingy, fishwife, but i feel like a lot of cargo stuff and the bands that got picked up by the majors were a little bland and just not that catchy. creedle, swivelneck, olivelawn (even though i really like fluf), three mile pilot (bleh), no knife, tanner. and i was expecting rocket from the crypt to be the most rockin' punk band ever and when i finally heard them i was like, people get this tattooed on themselves? i'm sure the scene and live experience was a whole other thing, but like with seattle/sub pop/grunge stuff, most of it didn't grab me.

even the hardcore/screamo stuff like heroin, swing kids and unbroken didn't really make sense to me. that said, i veer a lot more towards the melodic side for the most part.

All of that is super interesting to me and just shows how subjective our ears are. You liked Fishwife, but not Tanner, and everyone in Tanner was in Fishwife and has always sounded like an evolution of the same band to me.

I'm glad you listed Sub Society and Inch. Stimy was my best friend. I don't have a Rocket tattoo, but I do have an Inch one. Here's a video of me and Rob Crow doing a full set with Sub Society for Stimy's memorial. I'd post the video of me singing an Inch song with No Knife, but you don't like them. ;)

matt
Site Admin

Postby Neal » Sat Feb 29, 2020 12:32 am

matt wrote:
Neal wrote:i liked a bunch of earlier san diego stuff like sub society/inch, pitchfork, heavy vegetable/thingy, fishwife, but i feel like a lot of cargo stuff and the bands that got picked up by the majors were a little bland and just not that catchy. creedle, swivelneck, olivelawn (even though i really like fluf), three mile pilot (bleh), no knife, tanner. and i was expecting rocket from the crypt to be the most rockin' punk band ever and when i finally heard them i was like, people get this tattooed on themselves? i'm sure the scene and live experience was a whole other thing, but like with seattle/sub pop/grunge stuff, most of it didn't grab me.

All of that is super interesting to me and just shows how subjective our ears are. You liked Fishwife, but not Tanner, and everyone in Tanner was in Fishwife and has always sounded like an evolution of the same band to me.

I'm glad you listed Sub Society and Inch. Stimy was my best friend. I don't have a Rocket tattoo, but I do have an Inch one. Here's a video of me and Rob Crow doing a full set with Sub Society for Stimy's memorial. I'd post the video of me singing an Inch song with No Knife, but you don't like them. ;)

cool footage. i mean, i do like inch. :)

i came to the san diego stuff mostly from skating (sub society, goldenrod, o.) and nemesis records. there was a san diego sound that seemed to develop (maybe based off pitchfork?), and i wanted and tried to like it, but maybe i was hoping for more big drill car or 411 style headhunter. but i did like some of the quirky stuff like heavy vegetable and fishwife. wasn't tanner sans the fishwife singer? he seems like he kind of made the band, especially live.
Neal

Postby earthdog70 » Sun Mar 01, 2020 11:47 am

Let Them Know-BYO documentary :D
"And so it goes."-Kurt Vonnegut
earthdog70

Postby drew » Mon Mar 02, 2020 7:41 am

lewdd wrote:

Talkin' bout me? I wasn't an SD guy.
drew

Postby lewdd » Mon Mar 02, 2020 7:47 am

drew wrote:
lewdd wrote:

Talkin' bout me? I wasn't an SD guy.

For some reason, I thought you lived out there for a brief period.
lewdd

Postby lewdd » Sat Mar 14, 2020 5:55 pm

We Are The League
lewdd

Postby version sound » Sat Mar 14, 2020 6:32 pm

lewdd wrote:Caught a Miles Davis 2 hours (no commercials) American Masters biography on PBS last night that I enjoyed. Didn't no much about him prior to watching other than he was a famous jazz musician. Very similar story to Ray Charles.

Watched this one last weekend. Very interesting. I’ve never delved too deep into his stuff before, but I am digging his fucked up ‘70s stuff.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby lewdd » Sun Mar 15, 2020 6:28 am

version sound wrote:
lewdd wrote:Caught a Miles Davis 2 hours (no commercials) American Masters biography on PBS last night that I enjoyed. Didn't no much about him prior to watching other than he was a famous jazz musician. Very similar story to Ray Charles.

Watched this one last weekend. Very interesting. I’ve never delved too deep into his stuff before, but I am digging his fucked up ‘70s stuff.

I bought his Kind of Blue vinyl a few weeks ago and have been giving some of it a listen. Not sure I am ready for that 70s stuff he did. It was interesting to have them explain their thoughts on how he may have been ahead of his time with precursor sounds of electronic music, hip hop, etc.
lewdd

Postby Welly » Sun Mar 15, 2020 1:01 pm

Last edited by Welly on Tue Aug 18, 2020 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Welly

Postby lewdd » Sun Mar 15, 2020 2:17 pm

I have that Oil Capital one on my Amazon watch list.
lewdd

Postby lewdd » Mon Mar 16, 2020 6:03 am

Salad Days - I enjoyed this doc with the exception of the Positive Force guy for some reason. And, how did Fred Armisen end up in this movie? I never got into a lot of bands that were part of this movie. The highlight may have been listening to Swann Street again before the credits rolled. Sounded like 7 Seconds to me. I may have to go back and give them a listen again along with Marginal Man and Soulside. Its unfortunate that Brian was the only representation for Dag and that our own Alex was not part of the Swiz talks.

The Damned - Dont' You WIsh That We Were Dead - I enjoyed this too. And, how did Fred Armisen end up in this movie? Caught a glimpse of a young Brian Baker at an autograph signing. Wish I would have watched a few years ago before I met the Damned twice. Between when this came out and I watched it, at least one former member of the Damned died and their bass player and drummer quit the band. Interesting look at the relationships that really don't exist within the band. Funny how Captain was too famous to rejoin the band at one point.
lewdd

Postby JGJR » Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:13 am

version sound wrote:

That's by far my favorite Miles stuff, particularly On the Corner. Welcome to complete headfuckery (of the good kind) and wah-wah funk that was 30 or more years ahead of its time (sounds like some of the Congotronics stuff that came out in the '00s).
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby JGJR » Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:16 am

lewdd wrote:
I bought his Kind of Blue vinyl a few weeks ago and have been giving some of it a listen. Not sure I am ready for that 70s stuff he did. It was interesting to have them explain their thoughts on how he may have been ahead of his time with precursor sounds of electronic music, hip hop, etc.

I have a six-eye (slang for the white logos on the side of the red Columbia labels of the '60s) that used to belong to a friend's dad (very long story) back when it was new or new-ish. It's battered but playable if a bit scratchy.

100% on him being ahead of his time (sort of parallels what I just wrote a few minutes ago in another post).
JGJR

Postby JGJR » Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:18 am

lewdd wrote:The Damned - Dont' You WIsh That We Were Dead - I enjoyed this too. And, how did Fred Armisen end up in this movie? Caught a glimpse of a young Brian Baker at an autograph signing. Wish I would have watched a few years ago before I met the Damned twice. Between when this came out and I watched it, at least one former member of the Damned died and their bass player and drummer quit the band. Interesting look at the relationships that really don't exist within the band. Funny how Captain was too famous to rejoin the band at one point.

Whoa; didn't realize the rhythm section had quit; wonder who it was when I saw them play in the fall of 2018?
JGJR

Postby lewdd » Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:47 am

Stu and Pinch back then. Stu quit first and was replaced by Paul Gray. Pinch quit after the USA tour in 2019. Not sure who has replaced him yet.
lewdd

Postby creature » Mon Mar 16, 2020 4:04 pm

JGJR wrote:
lewdd wrote:The Damned - Dont' You WIsh That We Were Dead - I enjoyed this too. And, how did Fred Armisen end up in this movie? Caught a glimpse of a young Brian Baker at an autograph signing. Wish I would have watched a few years ago before I met the Damned twice. Between when this came out and I watched it, at least one former member of the Damned died and their bass player and drummer quit the band. Interesting look at the relationships that really don't exist within the band. Funny how Captain was too famous to rejoin the band at one point.

Whoa; didn't realize the rhythm section had quit; wonder who it was when I saw them play in the fall of 2018?

That Damned doc was a train wreck of an editing job.
If you know the band's history, you can follow and know what they left out or cut to bits. If not, man, it would hard to follow in some spots.
creature

Postby Nedro » Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:25 am

When I was in my property in Italy here 2 weeks ago I started to watch Oil Capital but didn't finish it. The beginning was interesting.
Nedro

Postby version sound » Tue Mar 17, 2020 2:26 pm

JGJR wrote:
version sound wrote:

That's by far my favorite Miles stuff, particularly On the Corner. Welcome to complete headfuckery (of the good kind) and wah-wah funk that was 30 or more years ahead of its time (sounds like some of the Congotronics stuff that came out in the '00s).

Yup. OTC is the one I was specifically considering buying on SACD.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby neutral knieval » Tue Mar 17, 2020 2:57 pm

'ZZ Top: That Little Ol' Band From Texas'. it was pretty good til they skipped from tres hombres era to eliminator. and then just stopped there.

no fred armison or dave grohl though
neutral knieval

Postby lewdd » Tue Mar 17, 2020 4:01 pm

neutral knieval wrote:
no fred armison or dave grohl though

Good cuz those fucks keep showing up in everything I watch.
lewdd

Postby JGJR » Tue Mar 17, 2020 6:08 pm

creature wrote:That Damned doc was a train wreck of an editing job.
If you know the band's history, you can follow and know what they left out or cut to bits. If not, man, it would hard to follow in some spots.

I remember thinking the same thing when I saw it back in 2015. Plus, they left out some important details, but I'd have to watch it again to remember what my critiques were at the time.
JGJR

Postby JGJR » Tue Mar 17, 2020 6:08 pm

version sound wrote:
Yup. OTC is the one I was specifically considering buying on SACD.

I'm sure that sounds phenomenal on SACD.
JGJR

Postby lewdd » Mon Mar 23, 2020 6:47 am

A Fat Wreck - interesting story about the history of Fat Wreck Chords for those who may have got into that sound. Found out a bunch of things I didn't know about the label and the bands on it. Was worth a watch for me. Probably no need to ever watch again.

Joe Strummer - Cut the Clash - A ~50 minute documentary with some live Mescaleros footage including two songs with Mick Jones. Interviews with friends of Joe, Mescaleros musicians, and Mick and Topper but no Simonon. Worth a watch for me. Will probably watch The Future Is Unwritten one of these days.

American Epic - watched episodes 2 and 4 of this 4 part documentary about the history of American folk,blues, country music. Episode 2 was primarily blues, jazz, and very early country from the 1920's-30's. They had some distant relatives of Charley Patton visit Dockery Farms Plantation for the first time. Was interesting for me as I've been there a few times already. There was a part about how they traced Dizzy Gillespie to a recording by an old preacher from a town in South Carolina. Episode 4 was about some recording sessions using equipment from the 1920's to record straight to a record just like some of the earliest phonograph recordings. That was a really fascinating story. I may end of watching that again.
lewdd

Postby lewdd » Sun Mar 29, 2020 9:24 am

Chasing Trane - The John Coltrane Documentary - Another musician with a drug addiction who changed the course of Jazz music over his short 40 year life. I was surprised that they spent a very small part of the film about his working with Miles Davis and next to nothing about any relationship they may have had. I watched on Amazon, but found it on youtube this morning for those who may be interested in watching for free. Noted jazz historian, Bill Clinton, has a few parts in the documentary.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uc-8oh9-cZY
lewdd

Postby BAIN » Sun Mar 29, 2020 9:55 am

neutral knieval wrote:no fred armison or dave grohl though

What about Rollins?
BAIN

Postby JGJR » Sun Mar 29, 2020 10:36 am

lewdd wrote:Chasing Trane - The John Coltrane Documentary - Another musician with a drug addiction who changed the course of Jazz music over his short 40 year life. I was surprised that they spent a very small part of the film about his working with Miles Davis and next to nothing about any relationship they may have had. I watched on Amazon, but found it on youtube this morning for those who may be interested in watching for free. Noted jazz historian, Bill Clinton, has a few parts in the documentary.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uc-8oh9-cZY

I remember seeing this at one of the Ritz theaters in Philly back when it came out (2016 or 2017) and I remember liking it a lot; the Miles stuff all came before his emergence as a bandleader and all of the classic Atlantic and Impulse stuff that followed, so that's probably why they didn't fixate on that so much despite his presence on Kind of Blue and what not.

This is unrelated, but I watched the ZZ Top documentary the other night. Not a major an here, but it made me appreciate their longevity and some of the riffs/songs are just undeniably great. And I liked the parts about Billy naming Moving Sidewalks after the 13th Floor Elevators and the relationship both bands had with each other, etc. The documentary oddly stops right at Eliminator and covers basically nothing afterwards, though.
JGJR

Postby lewdd » Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:35 pm

Devil at the Crossroads - The Story of Robert Johnson (Netflix exclusive) - A short ~45 minute documentary on one of the earliest and some same most influential blues musician. I have read many books on Robert Johnson already, but it was nice to pick up a few locations and bits on information in the documentary that I was not aware of previous to watching it. It was also nice to see some places I have been to visit and some musicians who I have seen play at the Juke Joint Festival. A good music history lesson for those wanting to connect some blues history to rock and roll.
lewdd

Postby earthdog70 » Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:07 pm

ZZ Top doc on Netflix. I thought it was well done. Cool jams of their early stuff. The director seemed to think they didn't release any records after Eliminator however. :D
earthdog70

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Mon Mar 30, 2020 2:04 pm

Bowie 'Sound and Vision' on You Tube.
xxxMidgexxx

Postby scannest » Mon Mar 30, 2020 3:39 pm

earthdog70 wrote: The director seemed to think they didn't release any records after Eliminator however. :D

I thought that was odd at first, but it makes sense given that it's on Netflix. I suppose a longer version for diehards may show up on disc someday
scannest

Postby lewdd » Mon Mar 30, 2020 4:25 pm

Yesterday, I started the Ken Burns Jazz docu-series on Amazon Prime and watched the first episode. I am sure I will finish the next 9 episodes in April while on lockdown.
lewdd

Postby version sound » Tue Mar 31, 2020 4:12 pm

You can watch the New Breed 89 documentary for free at No Echo:

https://www.noecho.net/features/new-breed-documentary-1989-streaming
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby earthdog70 » Wed Apr 08, 2020 3:54 pm

I watched the Duran Duran doc. Again an hour seemed short, they have 14 albums at this point but they cherry-picked highlights. Also-if you played guitar in Duran Duran and your first name isn't Andy, don't expect to see yourself (or even hear your name :lol: )

I saw them once with Andy so I'm good. :geek:

Glad John is better however.
earthdog70

Postby earthdog70 » Tue Apr 14, 2020 3:08 pm

Watched New Order-Decades. Interesting idea to put a "synth orchestra" behind them. First thoughts:

Bernard barely plays guitar on stage at this point

Bernard still hates Peter Hook as he couldn't even say his name when talking about the bass on older songs :roll:

:bag:
earthdog70

Postby scannest » Thu Apr 16, 2020 6:30 am

I started watching a Slint documentary available for free on YouTube called 'Breadcrumb Trail'. Pretty good - I had completely forgotten about the Squirrel Bait connection.
scannest

Postby the mean » Thu Apr 16, 2020 10:04 am

Been watching so many of them over the last couple weeks. Most recently, I've watched 5 of the 6 "Inside Metal" docs, about the LA metal scene from about 75-90.
the mean

Postby lewdd » Thu Apr 16, 2020 11:49 am

Have any of you watched American Epic? Since most of you are musicians, I would think you would find Part 4 especially interesting.
lewdd

Postby JGJR » Tue Apr 21, 2020 5:12 pm

the mean wrote:Been watching so many of them over the last couple weeks. Most recently, I've watched 5 of the 6 "Inside Metal" docs, about the LA metal scene from about 75-90.

Where can I find these?
JGJR

Postby FormerLurker » Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:55 am

I tried to watch the Mentors documentary on Prime but my wife wouldn't let me finish it.
FormerLurker

Postby neutral knieval » Fri Apr 24, 2020 5:36 pm

scannest wrote:I started watching a Slint documentary available for free on YouTube called 'Breadcrumb Trail'. Pretty good - I had completely forgotten about the Squirrel Bait connection.

not really familiar with slint at all, but i liked this doc. made me try to listen to slint again but it still didnt take. still in that 'i dont like it but can appreciate it' category, like bob dylan
neutral knieval

Postby lewdd » Sun Apr 26, 2020 7:15 am

Clockwork Orange County - it is basically a story about the venue the Cuckoo's Nest. While I enjoyed watching it, I had hoped to learn more about the bands. It was mostly about the venue and the issues of punks vs cowboys and police. There was some live footage of Black Flag, the Circle Jerks, and TSOL. If you have Amazon Prime, it is free.
lewdd

Next

Return to daghouse