Stone Roses - Made of Stone + Muscle Shoals docs?

Stone Roses - Made of Stone + Muscle Shoals docs?

Postby john stabb » Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:47 pm

Saw them both last night with mates Krrl & Aimee. Really impressed by Muscle Shoals. Thought it was much better than Sound City.

Made of Stone portions with older Stone Roses footage (never knew Ian Brown had an inch of bleached blonde hair like he belonged in Quadrohenia) but the live concert stuff was better than I expected. Wild to see how monstrous Mani looks & old Brown still trying to hang on to his shaggy gray hair a la Weller. Now he's the old Monkey-man.

Anyone see these yet & thoughts :?:
GI is a group of grown men who enjoy torturing each other and the crowd.
john stabb

Re: Stone Roses - Made of Stone + Muscle Shoals docs?

Postby JGJR » Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:31 am

john stabb wrote:Saw them both last night with mates Krrl & Aimee. Really impressed by Muscle Shoals. Thought it was much better than Sound City.

Made of Stone portions with older Stone Roses footage (never knew Ian Brown had an inch of bleached blonde hair like he belonged in Quadrohenia) but the live concert stuff was better than I expected. Wild to see how monstrous Mani looks & old Brown still trying to hang on to his shaggy gray hair a la Weller. Now he's the old Monkey-man.

Anyone see these yet & thoughts :?:

The Stone Roses doc is playing here tomorrow night and I really wanna see it, but doubt I'll be able to. Is it out on DVD? I checked Netflix last week and it wasn't available yet.
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby earthdog70 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:04 am

I'm going to have wait for the DVD of the Stone Roses too, it's playing here on a SS practice night.

I think it comes out on DVD in Dec. :mrgreen:
"And so it goes."-Kurt Vonnegut
earthdog70

Postby john stabb » Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:18 am

Only saw the Stone Roses doc through Krrl's streaming it but it's not on DVD/Netflix yet. The live clips of them recently are pretty good. Luckily Remi is covering the higher harmony parts cos Monkeyman could never hit them. Unlike (Thank Satan) the live vox I've heard of him in much earlier concerts, he's not horribly off-key. The musicianship is solid but watch out for the inevitable drama of a Stone Roses Reunion-ha! :P
GI is a group of grown men who enjoy torturing each other and the crowd.
john stabb

Postby wALLton » Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:50 am

I was at one of the Heaton Park dates and watched Made of Stone in the cinema on the special release event date. It was pretty good though not a lot of "back stage" story to it and would have liked to have seen some more "behind the scenes" material. The rehearsal footage is great and I picked up the DVD as a memento, but have yet to work my way through all the extras. A friend and I were interviewed on the day but it doesn't appear to have made the cut. I guess I should've worn my Dag Nasty shirt... or gone for some more standout Stabb fashions...
wALLton

Postby JGJR » Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:02 am

john stabb wrote:Only saw the Stone Roses doc through Krrl's streaming it but it's not on DVD/Netflix yet. The live clips of them recently are pretty good. Luckily Remi is covering the higher harmony parts cos Monkeyman could never hit them. Unlike (Thank Satan) the live vox I've heard of him in much earlier concerts, he's not horribly off-key. The musicianship is solid but watch out for the inevitable drama of a Stone Roses Reunion-ha! :P

Is it streaming somewhere? Also, I have to correct myself here. It's actually screening here (and on several different dates in November all over the US in select theaters) on November 12th. I'm already going to a bunch of stuff around that time, so it will be tough but wow, I really wanna see this. We shall see!

http://madeofstonefilm.com/Theatres/
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Return to daghouse