Death- A Band Called Death

Death- A Band Called Death

Postby clash77 » Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:30 pm

Has anyone seen this documentary about this mid 70's band from Detroit??? One of the most interesting stories you'll see( and a great story at that!!!)..Check it out !!! Its currently available on Netflix..
clash77

Re: Death- A Band Called Death

Postby yourenotevil » Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:47 pm

the only true death was from florida. band is overhyped beyond belief.
"What the fuck? Fuck Shit up!"-Chuck Dukowski
yourenotevil

Postby Chris Shary » Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:50 am

Overhyped or not, have you heard their album? It's damn good regardless of the hype. The film was really heart warming as well. Hipsters kill everything.
Chris Shary

Postby JGJR » Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:17 am

yourenotevil wrote:the only true death was from florida. band is overhyped beyond belief.

Complete bollocks. The Detroit band had that name almost two decades before the FL death metal band started. I have nothing against the latter, but c'mon. Plus, For all the World to See is a pretty great '70s hard rock album (not really proto-punk except for "Politicians in My Eyes") but for a bunch of black guys from Detroit to be playing that stuff back then was pretty unusual (and the documentary, which is great and which we saw about a year ago when it screened here, addresses that). It would be enjoyable even without knowing the backstory, though.
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby MXV » Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:19 am

yourenotevil wrote:the only true death was from florida. band is overhyped beyond belief.

That's bullshit. Death was punk rock before there really was much punk rock. They certain pre-dated the Ramones and Sex Pistols by a year or two. Death metal Death never did much for me at all. I think your judgement is clouded due to your age. That's not an insult or an attack but it is very obvious that your age plays a part in your musical choices and that you grew up with a different generation of music and a different generation of punk/hardcore. I can see how if I was a lot younger I'd probably like more of the stuff that you like. To me Death was like that perfect bridge between rock and roll and punk rock.

I saw the movie and thought it was a very touching story. I recently picked up that LP and I honestly think it is the best album I've heard in years. It is a perfect listen from start to finish. I'm happy to see that this little band from MI who made such great music is finally getting some attention.
The Punk Vault: http://www.punkvinyl.com
MXV

Postby clash77 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:35 am

To think a band would say "fuck off" to multiple record companies when asked to change their name says it all to me!!! Thats as punk as it gets...I urge anyone who can appreciate a "missing piece" of punk rock history to watch this film..You will be treated to an amazing story!!!
clash77

Postby creature » Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:36 am

We'll be seeing them live on Saturday in Seattle -- fired up!
creature

Postby Chris Shary » Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:07 am

I'm sure pictures and a write up will follow.
Chris Shary

Postby clash77 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:23 pm

creature wrote:We'll be seeing them live on Saturday in Seattle -- fired up!

Nice!!! maybe you can give us some feedback after the gig? I'd be curious!
clash77

Postby JGJR » Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:09 pm

clash77 wrote:
creature wrote:We'll be seeing them live on Saturday in Seattle -- fired up!

Nice!!! maybe you can give us some feedback after the gig? I'd be curious!

And I would be curious as well as I've never seen them! clash77, I also agree with what you wrote about it being awesome that they refused to change their name. David Hackney never compromised!
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby yourenotevil » Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:52 pm

MXV wrote:

That's bullshit. Death was punk rock before there really was much punk rock. They certain pre-dated the Ramones and Sex Pistols by a year or two. Death metal Death never did much for me at all. I think your judgement is clouded due to your age. That's not an insult or an attack but it is very obvious that your age plays a part in your musical choices and that you grew up with a different generation of music and a different generation of punk/hardcore. I can see how if I was a lot younger I'd probably like more of the stuff that you like. To me Death was like that perfect bridge between rock and roll and punk rock.

I saw the movie and thought it was a very touching story. I recently picked up that LP and I honestly think it is the best album I've heard in years. It is a perfect listen from start to finish. I'm happy to see that this little band from MI who made such great music is finally getting some attention.

i like the songs they wrote,but i think they are getting a little too much credit for being punk, and i think the race thing is being played up a lot more than it should be. they have one song that sounds punkish, and it is only part of the song. were they an enigma for their time?sure. were they the first punk band? i would highly dispute that.

also, i don't think my age has anything to do with my tastes. i like a bunch of old/punk hc as well, but maybe not quite the same exact stuff as some people on here though.
"What the fuck? Fuck Shit up!"-Chuck Dukowski
yourenotevil

Postby Bill » Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:25 pm

Fantastic documentary.
Bill

Postby MXV » Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:18 am

yourenotevil wrote:
MXV wrote:

i like the songs they wrote,but i think they are getting a little too much credit for being punk, and i think the race thing is being played up a lot more than it should be. they have one song that sounds punkish, and it is only part of the song. were they an enigma for their time?sure. were they the first punk band? i would highly dispute that.

also, i don't think my age has anything to do with my tastes. i like a bunch of old/punk hc as well, but maybe not quite the same exact stuff as some people on here though.

The reason I bring up your age is us older folks grew up before punk rock was invented so as kids we listened mostly to rock on the radio, etc then made the transition to punk rock when that came around at some point in our lives. Younger people didn't necessarily follow that same path because punk rock along with other genres that didn't exist in the 70's was already there and readily available. It also explains why people latch on to certain bands or eras of punk rock. For example I hated almost all that SE/Youth Crew stuff on Revelation, etc that came around in the late 1980s but people a little younger than me (or a lot younger) love it. To me that stuff was nowhere near as good as the hardcore bands I was growing up with that were around in the first half of the decade but those people didn't necessarily grow up on it and their point of entry was different.

So in regards to the band Death, they were like the perfect bridge between rock and roll and what became the very early punk rock. "Politicians in my Eyes" and "Freaking Out" are their most "punk" sounding songs but remember this was a time even before the Sex Pistols and Ramones put out records so it was amazingly unique for the time and probably would have been very influential had they released that album back then.
The Punk Vault: http://www.punkvinyl.com
MXV

Postby WrEtcH » Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:46 am

I was hanging with my friend at the Echo catching up on old times and seeing cover bands, but man, the other side of me wanted to see DEATH at the Echo pled tonight
^v^
WrEtcH

Return to daghouse