The All-New and Improved 2013 Major League Baseball Thread

The All-New and Improved 2013 Major League Baseball Thread

Postby pedro » Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:20 pm

I was happy when they were talking about $20 per year, so this makes me even happier. Great deal for both team and player.

According to a baseball source, the Red Sox and second baseman Dustin Pedroia have agreed to a seven-year, worth approximately $100 million extension that will begin following the final guaranteed year of his current deal. Pedroia is currently in the midst of six-year, $40.5 million deal that carries a team option for 2015.

The deal, according to the source, carries a full no-trade clause. Pedroia, who turns 30 Aug. 17, is hitting .308 with an .808 OPS in an American League-best 100 games played this season.

LINK

Also, Ryan Braun still sucks.
Hello.
pedro

Re: The All-New and Improved 2013 Major League Baseball Thre

Postby yourenotevil » Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:43 pm

for hc baseball fans: don't you just feel like the sport is pretty much a joke over the past 20 plus years since everyone has been doping and there is now way to tell who was clean and who isn't? and even with the possibility of getting suspended 100 games or a season, repeat offenders are still doing so? or do you just say everyone in any given sport (even shit like sprinting and cycling) has been doping too so it all doesn't matter?
"What the fuck? Fuck Shit up!"-Chuck Dukowski
yourenotevil

Postby pedro » Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:20 pm

yourenotevil wrote:for hc baseball fans: don't you just feel like the sport is pretty much a joke over the past 20 plus years since everyone has been doping and there is now way to tell who was clean and who isn't? and even with the possibility of getting suspended 100 games or a season, repeat offenders are still doing so? or do you just say everyone in any given sport (even shit like sprinting and cycling) has been doping too so it all doesn't matter?

How is this any different from football?
Hello.
pedro

Postby WrEtcH » Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:23 pm

yourenotevil wrote:for hc baseball fans: don't you just feel like the sport is pretty much a joke over the past 20 plus years since everyone has been doping and there is now way to tell who was clean and who isn't? and even with the possibility of getting suspended 100 games or a season, repeat offenders are still doing so? or do you just say everyone in any given sport (even shit like sprinting and cycling) has been doping too so it all doesn't matter?

not if yer team has won 2 titles in 3 years :lol:
SRSLY, I can die now. 1 is all I ever wanted in my lifetime. TWO and how they won it last year?
I'll take that one to the grave with me and ask for nothing more.
^v^
WrEtcH

Postby yourenotevil » Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:33 pm

pedro wrote:

How is this any different from football?

that's kind of what i am asking. i guess i would argue that doping in football is something i could see as affecting the game a little less since baseball is the least physical punishing sport of the big 4. plus, you don't have the stats to back up that the nfl was affected or it was as widespread in the last twenty years like baseball was. you only have all of these qb records being broken in the last 5 years since the rules changes are so much more geared towards the offense right now.
yourenotevil

Postby WrEtcH » Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:11 pm

never mind, I didn't look at padro's first post. :lol:
^v^
WrEtcH

Postby pedro » Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:51 am

If the Yankees get out from under A-Hole's contract I will be furious.
Hello.
pedro

Postby WrEtcH » Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:13 pm

Brian Wilson signs with the Doyers
^v^
WrEtcH

Postby pedro » Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:21 am

A little bummed to see Iglesias, who is an amazing glove, go, but I don't see him as a Major League hitter over a long career so it was probably the right move. I guess Peavy is an upgrade, but he seems pretty inconsistent. The reliever the Sox received from the Tigers has a bunch of talent, but can't seem to put it all together. He's a project. I was afraid the Sox would be getting rid of bigger prospects, for either Peavy or Cliff Lee, so I am happy it was only Iggy.

Apparently, the upcoming Biogenesis suspensions are the motivating factor for the Tigers to acquire a SS, as Peralta is going down for the year.
Hello.
pedro

Postby JGJR » Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:18 am

WrEtcH wrote:Brian Wilson signs with the Doyers

He's on tour with Al and David Marks now. How does he find the time? :lol:
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby pedro » Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:32 pm

Wow.
Hello.
pedro

Postby WrEtcH » Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:54 am

despite my team falling apart and looking like the most terrible defending champions, I'm still in touch with baseball, but it blows me away looking at the standings to see who's on top. God bless the Pittsburgh Pirates for losing so long and now they own one the best records in the MLB. I hope this is the year they have a wining record and reach the playoffs.

In the same conversation, how bout those Kansas City Royals? 9 in a row? The Cleveland Indians 8 in a row? Okay since it's a certainty the Giants won't make the playoffs, locally I'm jumping on the A's bandwagon (which isn't hard for me to do.) At the point, I'm just hoping for a .500 year for the Giants. I'm not upset anymore, heck I've been spoiled. They're still my first love amongst all the professional teams in the Bay Area.
^v^
WrEtcH

Postby pedro » Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:31 pm

So, I am starting to think my team might actually be pretty good.

They don't quit. Ever.
Hello.
pedro

Postby pedro » Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:38 pm

Oh WrEtcH, were you there? That was as close as you can get! I kind of hope you weren't there.
Hello.
pedro

Postby WrEtcH » Sat Sep 07, 2013 6:54 am

pedro wrote:Oh WrEtcH, were you there? That was as close as you can get! I kind of hope you weren't there.

I was and cheering all the way to finally see my first one. DAMMIT, almost!
Regardless, hellva game by Yusmeiro Petit. Great effort!

it's night like this that define how much I love baseball.
^v^
WrEtcH

Postby pedro » Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:42 pm

Post season time.

Technically the regular season, but a one game, AL wild card tie-breaker will be played tonight in Texas. Rays v. Rangers. It's kind of a joke that Texas gets to host the game. Because the tie-breaker is record within your division, the Rangers basically host the game because Houston is in their division. I want nothing to do with Tampa Bay. I hate them, their stupid stadium and their fan(s). Go Rangers.

NL Wild Card is tomorrow, Pittsburgh hosts Cincinnati. With all apologies to the mean, I'm pulling for the Pirates. It has been so long for them. I really have nothing against the Reds and I can see me pulling for them in the NL if the win, but I'd like to see the Pirates go pretty far.

AL Wild Card is Tampa Bay/Texas at Cleveland on Wednesday. From a Red Sox point of view, as stated previously, I want nothing to do with Tampa Bay. I hate them, their stupid stadium and their fan(s). I hate that Texas held on, but I think I'd rather play them than Cleveland or Tampa Bay. Becareful what you wish for!

I assume WrEtcH is pulling for the A's? I know the mean is pulling for the Reds. Anyone else care? No Phillies, Mets, Nationals, White Sox or Yankees makes for very little rooting action around here.

OAK v. DET
TB/TEX/CLE v. BOS
LAD v. ATL
CIN/PIT v. STL
Hello.
pedro

Postby yourenotevil » Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:47 pm

pedro wrote:Post season time.

Technically the regular season, but a one game, AL wild card tie-breaker will be played tonight in Texas. Rays v. Rangers. It's kind of a joke that Texas gets to host the game. Because the tie-breaker is record within your division, the Rangers basically host the game because Houston is in their division. I want nothing to do with Tampa Bay. I hate them, their stupid stadium and their fan(s). Go Rangers.

NL Wild Card is tomorrow, Pittsburgh hosts Cincinnati. With all apologies to the mean, I'm pulling for the Pirates. It has been so long for them. I really have nothing against the Reds and I can see me pulling for them in the NL if the win, but I'd like to see the Pirates go pretty far.

AL Wild Card is Tampa Bay/Texas at Cleveland on Wednesday. From a Red Sox point of view, as stated previously, I want nothing to do with Tampa Bay. I hate them, their stupid stadium and their fan(s). I hate that Texas held on, but I think I'd rather play them than Cleveland or Tampa Bay. Becareful what you wish for!

I assume WrEtcH is pulling for the A's? I know the mean is pulling for the Reds. Anyone else care? No Phillies, Mets, Nationals, White Sox or Yankees makes for very little rooting action around here.

OAK v. DET
TB/TEX/CLE v. BOS
LAD v. ATL
CIN/PIT v. STL

i always watch the playoffs usually but i haven't been paying attention since NFL started.
yourenotevil

Postby WrEtcH » Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:56 pm

Go,
A's
Pirates
& Braves (thought I'd never say that, but since they are playing the LAD.)
^v^
WrEtcH

Postby the mean » Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:56 pm

The Reds are limping into the post-season, figuratively and literally.

This has been the most disappointing "make the playoffs" season. This team is always feeling like its underperforming. The fact is that the bench is weak, and has been exposed due to injury. Missing Ryan Ludwick as a RH power hitter over most of the season was tough, and the offense has been inconsistent.

Cueto has missed most of the season, and his stellar call-up replacement, Tony Cingrani, has been hurt. Both RH and LH set up men have missed most of the season.

Now, Brandon Phillips has a baseball growing out of his shin, and Mat Latos can't make the start tomorrow due to injury. Cueto is starting, and has looked good since his return from injury, but who knows based on how little he's pitched this year.

Billy Hamilton better be on the post-season roster.

Good pitching can carry a team through the playoffs, and the Reds starting pitching can be amazing. This team can easily make a run, but just as easily could flame out with a 7-1 loss tomorrow.

I'm also happy to see Pitt back in the post-season. When I was a kid my best friend was a Pirates fan, and we got to see some good battles in the late 70s.
the mean

Postby scannest » Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:55 pm

I can root for the Pirates. Their long tradition of suckitude fits in well with my love for the Mets.
"It's got some great chanting on it" - gregpolard.
scannest

Postby JGJR » Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:18 pm

scannest wrote:I can root for the Pirates. Their long tradition of suckitude fits in well with my love for the Mets.

Pretty much this. Otherwise, I can't say I really care about the MLB playoffs at all this year and am not sure how much of it I'll actually watch.
JGJR

Postby WrEtcH » Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:00 pm

pedro, looking good on the TBS round table with Olbermann :lol:
^v^
WrEtcH

Postby pedro » Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:21 pm

Condolences to the mean, but how about those Buccos!
Hello.
pedro

Postby JGJR » Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:24 am

pedro wrote:Condolences to the mean, but how about those Buccos!

Yep. Go Pirates!
JGJR

Postby the mean » Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:29 am

pedro wrote:Condolences to the mean

That was a listless and embarrassing performance last night. Heads need to roll. Team needs a major shake up to make it to the next level.

Unfortunately, Dusty has another year on his contract and will probably be back. I don't think they can afford to keep Choo. Arroyo is likely gone. BP probably needs to be traded. Upgrades needed at a couple positions (3B/LF.) And... AROLDIS CHAPMAN SHOULD NOT BE PITCHING FUCKING LESS THAN 70 INNINGS PER YEAR.
the mean

Postby JGJR » Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:45 am

the mean wrote:
pedro wrote:Condolences to the mean

That was a listless and embarrassing performance last night. Heads need to roll. Team needs a major shake up to make it to the next level.

Or more to the point and less dramatically, they just don't have an answer against lefties as another FB friend who's also a Reds fan pointed out.
JGJR

Postby the mean » Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:31 pm

JGJR wrote:Or more to the point and less dramatically, they just don't have an answer against lefties as another FB friend who's also a Reds fan pointed out.

I don't really think that's the case. The team's 2013 sOPS+ against LHP was 100 (which means right at league average.) What's interesting is that the Reds' LH hitters have an sOPS+ of 124, which means it is the team's RH hitters that are below league average against LHP.
the mean

Postby JGJR » Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:11 pm

the mean wrote:
JGJR wrote:Or more to the point and less dramatically, they just don't have an answer against lefties as another FB friend who's also a Reds fan pointed out.

I don't really think that's the case. The team's 2013 sOPS+ against LHP was 100 (which means right at league average.) What's interesting is that the Reds' LH hitters have an sOPS+ of 124, which means it is the team's RH hitters that are below league average against LHP.

Sure, but that didn't help last night, did it?
JGJR

Postby the mean » Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:20 pm

Well, yeah. I'm saying their poor performance last night was not because of a general inability to hit lefties. They have even been successful against Liriano this season. I believe they were 3-0 against him and handed him his one regular season home loss.
the mean

Postby the mean » Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:30 am

the mean wrote:Unfortunately, Dusty has another year on his contract and will probably be back.

Nope. Dusty seems like a nice dude, but he's not the right guy to take this team to the next level.
the mean

Postby scannest » Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:53 am

Not that anyone needs another reason to hate A-Rod, but his legal staff has decided it is in his best interest to sue Major League Baseball:
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ml ... g/2922019/
"It's got some great chanting on it" - gregpolard.
scannest

Postby pedro » Fri Oct 04, 2013 1:10 pm

Slightly surprised Dusty got canned. I thought the $4M would save his job.

Rays-Red Sox in seconds!
Hello.
pedro

Postby xxxHunterxxx » Fri Oct 04, 2013 1:53 pm

I will be rooting for the following in this round of the playoffs:
Pirates
Red Sox
Dodgers
A's
World’s biggest Snakes fan.
xxxHunterxxx

Postby pedro » Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:34 pm

One down, two to go.
Hello.
pedro

Postby obik » Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:41 pm

Clearly my prayers have not been answered.
and i cried
aloud to heaven
and i knelt
on all six legs
and vowed a vow
of vengeance
obik

Postby JGJR » Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:12 am

Go Pirates!
JGJR

Postby WrEtcH » Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:14 am

Red Sox and Dodgers are in. Just 2 game 5's to decide the rest. Liking how the playoffs have gone as far as intrigue and competitiveness goes.
^v^
WrEtcH

Postby JGJR » Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:46 pm

WrEtcH wrote:Red Sox and Dodgers are in. Just 2 game 5's to decide the rest. Liking how the playoffs have gone as far as intrigue and competitiveness goes.

With the way Wainwright is pitching right now and with the Cards' incredible defense, it's not looking good for the Pirates right now. It's only the 6th, though.
JGJR

Postby WrEtcH » Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:01 pm

My prediction,

it will be a Dodgers/Red Sox world series with the Dodgers winning it in 6 games.
^v^
WrEtcH

Postby WrEtcH » Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:52 pm

what a game 2 by the Red Sox.

pedro probably is like "OMG, OMG, OMG!" :lol:
^v^
WrEtcH

Postby pedro » Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:35 am

WrEtcH wrote:what a game 2 by the Red Sox.

pedro probably is like "OMG, OMG, OMG!" :lol:

I screamed like a school girl! That was the second time on Sunday that I screamed like a school girl.

Big game tonight. I need the good Lackey to be on the mound.
Hello.
pedro

Postby obik » Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:44 am

pedro wrote:I screamed like a school girl!

That's your most endearing quality.
and i cried
aloud to heaven
and i knelt
on all six legs
and vowed a vow
of vengeance
obik

Postby pedro » Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:11 am

There is so much more to me that, sadly, now you will never know.
Hello.
pedro

Postby pedro » Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:53 am

AND

Hello.
pedro

Postby JGJR » Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:00 am

Great series, Sox deserved it, they just wanted it more, crazy games 3 and 4, nice to see them in Fenway, our neighbors (family with a guy, his wife and two kids) all dressed up as different Red Sox players with the appropriate uniforms and fake beards for Halloween. It was great!
JGJR

Return to daghouse