The Bats

The Bats

Postby JGJR » Sat Oct 26, 2013 1:03 pm

patient_ot wrote:
clash77 wrote:I would recommend checking out The Bats if you've never heard them..Very similar sound from the 80's and from New Zealand..

Yeah, I love lots of stuff from NZ. They had a ton of great bands in the 80s and 90s. The only thing I have right now by the Bats is the singles comp. "compiletely Bats". I like it better than their first LP, but I'm not familiar with most of their discography.

I agree with clash77 that they have a very similar sound to The Go-Betweens, particularly the more recent Bats records and the reunion albums The Go-Betweens released in the early to mid '00s.

With that said, when I wanna hear The Bats, I typically reach for this wonderful compilation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thousands_ ... us_Spheres
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Re: The Bats

Postby clash77 » Sat Oct 26, 2013 4:26 pm

I'd have to say the early singles are my fav tracks from this band.As far as lp's, Either "Fear of God" or "Daddys Highway" are the ones I've liked the most.Hard to decide which is better?? "Silverbeet " is also an excellent album..For some reason, I was never crazy about the "Law of Things" lp..Some great moments but doesn't stand up to the other records I mentioned..Cant comment on the later stuff as I lost track of the band after "Silverbeet".. Any feedback on those records???
clash77

Postby JGJR » Sat Oct 26, 2013 6:59 pm

clash77 wrote:I'd have to say the early singles are my fav tracks from this band.As far as lp's, Either "Fear of God" or "Daddys Highway" are the ones I've liked the most.Hard to decide which is better?? "Silverbeet " is also an excellent album..For some reason, I was never crazy about the "Law of Things" lp..Some great moments but doesn't stand up to the other records I mentioned..Cant comment on the later stuff as I lost track of the band after "Silverbeet".. Any feedback on those records???

Yeah their most recent records are all good but have fewer stand-out tracks than the late '80s-mid '90s stuff. Sometimes they remind me of The Feelies (as well as the later Go-Betweens stuff) if that is of any help.

Anyway, The Law of Things has my favorite Bats song on it ("Smoking Her Wings"). I prefer that compilation I mentioned before to any of their albums.

xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby crus » Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:35 pm

I always think of Sneaky Feelings whenever The Feelies are mentioned. The Bats are good but Straitjacket Fits are the Flying Nun band who should have been huge.
crus

Postby patient_ot » Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:16 pm

crus wrote:I always think of Sneaky Feelings whenever The Feelies are mentioned. The Bats are good but Straitjacket Fits are the Flying Nun band who should have been huge.

Straitjacket were good. I've got the U.S. version of their first album, which is the best thing I've ever heard from them. Melt is also quite good and a grower...
patient_ot

Postby Janelle » Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:27 pm

JGJR wrote:
patient_ot wrote:
clash77 wrote:I would recommend checking out The Bats if you've never heard them..Very similar sound from the 80's and from New Zealand..

Yeah, I love lots of stuff from NZ. They had a ton of great bands in the 80s and 90s. The only thing I have right now by the Bats is the singles comp. "compiletely Bats". I like it better than their first LP, but I'm not familiar with most of their discography.

I agree with clash77 that they have a very similar sound to The Go-Betweens, particularly the more recent Bats records and the reunion albums The Go-Betweens released in the early to mid '00s.

With that said, when I wanna hear The Bats, I typically reach for this wonderful compilation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thousands_ ... us_Spheres

I remember listening to The Bats at Matt's house and texting JGJR about it!!!!!!!
When your number's up be what you are
Janelle

Return to daghouse