Favorite XTC track

Favorite XTC track

Postby clash77 » Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:06 pm

"into the atom age" for me.. too many to list but I'm always leaning toward the '77 era for some reason..hmmmmm?? but so much more of course!
clash77

Re: Favorite XTC track

Postby gregpolard » Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:50 pm

There was a period of about 2 months where I listened to almost exclusively XTC. I got a bunch of the albums and singles on vinyl too!

As for a favorite song....tough to choose honestly. I really like "Making Plans for Nigel", that's the song that always pops in my head whenever someone first mentions XTC.
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby clash77 » Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:58 pm

gregpolard wrote:There was a period of about 2 months where I listened to almost exclusively XTC. I got a bunch of the albums and singles on vinyl too!

As for a favorite song....tough to choose honestly. I really like "Making Plans for Nigel", that's the song that always pops in my head whenever someone first mentions XTC.
ok greg..a good choice there!!
clash77

Postby clash77 » Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:01 pm

gregpolard wrote:There was a period of about 2 months where I listened to almost exclusively XTC. I got a bunch of the albums and singles on vinyl too!

dont stay up too late greg!!! please..ha
clash77

Postby JGJR » Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:22 pm

I love XTC, so for me this is almost impossible. It would have to be a Top 10 or something, but if I had to choose one song, it would have be "Earn Enough for Us" from Skylarking (which I now think is their best Lp). When I was younger, I'd go for Drums and Wires, Black Sea or English Settlement and I still love all of them, but I play Skylarking and Mummer more these days.

Anyway, other favorites: "Love at First Sight," "That's Really Super, Supergirl," "Vanishing Girl," "You're the Wish You Are I Had". That's a good Top 5 right there.
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby clash77 » Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:28 pm

JGJR wrote:I love XTC, so for me this is almost impossible. It would have to be a Top 10 or something, but if I had to choose one song, it would have be "Earn Enough for Us" from Skylarking (which I now think is their best Lp). When I was younger, I'd go for Drums and Wires, Black Sea or English Settlement and I still love all of them, but I play Skylarking and Mummer more these days.

Anyway, other favorites: "Love at First Sight," "That's Really Super, Supergirl," "Vanishing Girl," "You're the Wish You Are I Had". That's a good Top 5 right there.

yea matt..tough call.i know..This band is "that" good..period
clash77

Postby WrEtcH » Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:24 pm

I won't say it's my fave XTC song, but every time "King For A Day" comes on the iPod, it never fails to give a smile. I'm not big of a fan as everybody else on this thread as I mostly know the singles, so I'll go from the same album and say "The Mayor of Simpleton" followed by "Making Plans For Nigel" (btw, good cover by PRIMUS too.)
^v^
WrEtcH

Postby patient_ot » Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:26 pm

I dig XTC, but I had a hell of a time getting into them. When I first heard them, I got the Big Express and Skylarking on cheapo used vinyl, both of which I thought were horrible.

Many years later, I bought Black Sea, English Settlement, and then Drums & Wires. To date these are the only albums by the band I've heard that I like and I really have to be in the right mood to listen to them. They have a few songs that just grate on my nerves for some reason.

I couldn't name a favorite track by them right, but I enjoy listening to those albums for the most part when I'm in the right mood.
patient_ot

Postby Fillavoid » Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:14 pm

JGJR wrote: "Earn Enough for Us" from Skylarking

Man, that’s such a great track. When it comes to Skylarking, I also love "Mermaid Smiled" (highly underrated imo) and "Summer's Cauldron". Other XTC favorites include “I Can’t Own Her” (easily one of my favorite songs ever), “Easter Theatre”, and “Wonderland”.
Fillavoid

Postby drew » Sat Oct 26, 2013 1:11 am

Fillavoid wrote:

Man, that’s such a great track. When it comes to Skylarking, I also love "Mermaid Smiled" (highly underrated imo) and "Summer's Cauldron". Other XTC favorites include “I Can’t Own Her” (easily one of my favorite songs ever), “Easter Theatre”, and “Wonderland”.

Skylarking is my fave from them but in the past few years I listen to the BBC live box set more than anything. It covers all the great stuff from '78-'82
drew

Postby Fillavoid » Sat Oct 26, 2013 12:06 pm

drew wrote:
Fillavoid wrote:

Skylarking is my fave from them but in the past few years I listen to the BBC live box set more than anything. It covers all the great stuff from '78-'82

Awesome. I'll have to check that out.
Fillavoid

Postby JGJR » Sat Oct 26, 2013 1:15 pm

patient_ot wrote:I dig XTC, but I had a hell of a time getting into them. When I first heard them, I got the Big Express and Skylarking on cheapo used vinyl, both of which I thought were horrible.

Many years later, I bought Black Sea, English Settlement, and then Drums & Wires. To date these are the only albums by the band I've heard that I like and I really have to be in the right mood to listen to them. They have a few songs that just grate on my nerves for some reason.

I couldn't name a favorite track by them right, but I enjoy listening to those albums for the most part when I'm in the right mood.

Given the other stuff you have posted about on here, I'm surprised you didn't like The Big Express and especially Skylarking. Anyway, for years the only album I knew by them was Oranges and Lemons (which I actually think it their worst album). Finally, when I was 20, I picked up Drums and Wires and never looked back. For a few years, I was obsessed with them, picking up 12" singles, weirdo remix and solo Lps, et al. wherever and whenever I could find them.

I picked up Skylarking and initially didn't like it all that much, but it grew on me a lot and now I think it's their best work.
JGJR

Postby JGJR » Sat Oct 26, 2013 1:19 pm

Fillavoid wrote:

I'm with you on "Easter Theatre" (the best track on Apple Venus) and "Wonderland" but re: "Mermaid Smiled" I think that Andy is a brilliant songwriter, but a poor judge of his own work. He didn't want not just "Dear God," but also "That's Really Super, Supergirl" (one of my favorites) on Skylarking before Rundgren put his foot down (and I'm glad he did). Anyway, I never really rated "Mermaid Smiled" or "I Can't Own Her" as they never stood out to me.
JGJR

Postby john stabb » Sun Oct 27, 2013 4:02 am

Dear God, Living in another Cuba, Earn enough for us.
GI is a group of grown men who enjoy torturing each other and the crowd.
john stabb

Postby JGJR » Sun Oct 27, 2013 7:10 am

john stabb wrote:Dear God, Living in another Cuba, Earn enough for us.

Wonderful choices...I first heard "Living Through Another Cuba" on a great anti-nuke compilation called Life in the European Theater.

http://www.discogs.com/Various-LIfe-In- ... se/1786783

It introduced me to a lot of other great bands, too.
JGJR

Postby john stabb » Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:39 pm

And while I dig some of the XTC, I was never a fan of their Dukes of Stratosphere albums. Redoing obscure Psychedelic songs picture perfect (but w/o placing your own mark on them) just seemed a vanity project.
GI is a group of grown men who enjoy torturing each other and the crowd.
john stabb

Postby JGJR » Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:24 am

john stabb wrote:And while I dig some of the XTC, I was never a fan of their Dukes of Stratosphere albums. Redoing obscure Psychedelic songs picture perfect (but w/o placing your own mark on them) just seemed a vanity project.

All the stuff on the Dukes album is comprised of original material. On the EP (and on some songs on the Lp, but by that point, they were putting more of their own stamp on things), they were inspired by a different band, style or era for each song. For example, "25 O'Clock" is inspired by The Electric Prunes' "I Had Too Much to Dream Last Night," "Bike Ride to the Moon" by Pink Floyd's "Bike" and so on. Others like "Pale and Precious" are inspired by Smile-era Beach Boys (so an era and not a specific song). My favorite Dukes song is "Vanishing Girl," which is pure Hollies.
JGJR

Postby MXV » Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:21 am

"Dear God" for me though admittedly I am not at all familiar with the rest of their stuff. I think I own the LP with that song on it and I don't remember what the rest of it sounds like.
The Punk Vault: http://www.punkvinyl.com
MXV

Postby captain2man » Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:35 am

"Senses Working Overtime"......."Earn Enough For Us", "Dear God" and "The Mayor of Simpleton" get special mentions.

I give a "here! here!" to the Dukes of Stratosphear stuff......that stuff is golden.
captain2man

Postby whymsb » Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:19 pm

Scarecrow People
whymsb

Postby JGJR » Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:26 pm

whymsb wrote:Scarecrow People

The best deep cut on Oranges and Lemons other than maybe "Chalkhills and Children." Good choice, though I would probably rank 100 other songs of theirs higher.
JGJR

Return to daghouse