horror flicks

horror flicks

Postby clash77 » Fri Oct 25, 2013 4:49 pm

Tis the season for slashers, zombies, vampires, monsters etc..What are some of your favorites??
clash77

Re: horror flicks

Postby john stabb » Sun Oct 27, 2013 3:59 am

Originals of NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD, DAWN OF THE DEAD, RETURN OF THE LIVING DEAD, SPOORLOS (THE VANISHING), HALLOWEEN, NIGHTMARE ON ELM ST, CARRIE, THE EXORCIST, ReANIMATOR, TRILOGY OF TERROR. Those are just a few of my favorite horror films.
GI is a group of grown men who enjoy torturing each other and the crowd.
john stabb

Postby Michele » Sun Oct 27, 2013 2:54 pm

recently I saw all the 7 episodes of Nightmare, 1, 3 and 7 are my fave ones...
also Rob Zombie stuff is quite enjoyable, maybe most recent stuff I enjoyed.
I'm a big fan of Dario Argento, Fulci, Bava and usually all the old Italian horror movies.
Toxic Avenger and Troma stuff, old Hammer, Army of teh dead, early Stephen king, Creep Show, used to watch a lot of horor movies specially in the teenage....
"Punker": Damnit, your english is confusing!
"Version Sound": Damnit, your english is amazing!
"Cischord": Damnit, my English is confusing!
Michele

Postby clash77 » Sun Oct 27, 2013 3:24 pm

I've always liked the Herschell Gordon Lewis flicks from the 60's and 70'S..Blood Feast being my fav of the bunch..Two Thousand Maniacs, Gore Gore Girls and Color Me Blood Red also deserve mention..As for the more "mainstream" horror flicks, The Exorcist would probably top my list.
clash77

Postby john stabb » Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:19 pm

A few more to add: original EVIL DEAD, SUSPIRIA, SESSION 9, DRACULA.

I don't dig Hershel Gordon Lewis or Rob Zombie's films.
john stabb

Postby danny » Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:21 am

dawn of the dead (both) - the original is my second favorite horror film of all time...the remake was also very good
night of the living dead (both) -- the first one scared the liver out of me. the remake wasn't quite as good, but was still a-one.
exorcist (1 and 3) -- 1 is the best ever for me. 3 is very underrated with a very good cast
re-animater -- haven't seen it since its orig theatrical release...but recall that it was quite fun
28 days later -- the remake was a letdown - but the original was quite good
30 days of night -- amazingly well done take on the modern vampire thing
the road -- as a father, this movie was the scariest thing i've ever seen.
american werewolf in london -- not so much scary, as it is entertaining

and i'll always have a soft spot for the classics:
wolfman (chaney)
frankenstein (karloff)
dracula (lugosi)
abbot and costello meet frankenstein (seriously)
danny

Postby tad ghostal » Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:29 am

Big fan of the original versions of Halloween, Texas Chainsaw Massacre,The Hills Have Eyes, Black Christmas, Dawn Of The Dead, plus The Re-Animator, The Exorcist, John Carpenter's The Thing, Prince Of Darkness, etc.
tad ghostal

Postby john stabb » Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:32 am

Oh Shazbut :!: How could I forget (originals) The Hills Have Eyes, Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Carpenter's The Thing (just saw his version of Village of the Damned & was quite impressed), (both versions) Invasion of Body Snatchers, Polanski's The Tenant.

The Zombie movies like 28 Days Later & remakes of The Dead-series I find annoying because I don't buy FAST ZOMBIES. They're braindead ZOMBIES so they must move slow. Fast Zombies are not for me.

Oh, Danny, do you mean that Spanish horror film The Road :?: If so, I'm with you that the film scared the crap outta me. And I don't have a 2-legged kid, just 4-legged boy. If nobody's seen this, check it out. And the original Swedish film, Spoorloos (The Vanishing). That one still creeps me out & I will only see it once.

Last night I checked out V/H/S/2 & it was all fast Zombie-crap. Really low on the Scare-o-meter. :roll:
john stabb

Postby crus » Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:53 am

The Eye (the Asian version)
Let the Right One In (both versions)
Saw
The Scream movies
Mama
Drag Me To Hell
The Living Dead series
Nightmare on Elm Street
Wolf Creek
The Hills Run Red
crus

Postby scannest » Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:49 pm

I'll add:
Eyes Without a Face
God Told Me To
Dead of Night (aka Deathdream)
Rosemary's Baby
"It's got some great chanting on it" - gregpolard.
scannest

Postby john stabb » Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:09 pm

Rosemary's Baby is a very good choice, scanny & cyrus.

Saw Mama recently & it was going just find in horror/creepiness but the ending was so corny like a Tim Burton animated thing so for that reason alone, it killed the whole film for me. Yes, I'm a critical bastard. :x
john stabb

Postby scannest » Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:15 am

I'll add a couple from the "New French Extremity" craze of a decade or so ago - High Tension, Ils (aka Them) and Trouble Every Day with Beatrice Dalle and Vincent Gallo as beautiful vampire/cannibals.
scannest

Postby tad ghostal » Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:59 am

scannest wrote:I'll add a couple from the "New French Extremity" craze of a decade or so ago - High Tension, Ils (aka Them) and Trouble Every Day with Beatrice Dalle and Vincent Gallo as beautiful vampire/cannibals.

Speaking of the New French Extremity craze, "Inside" was fucking intense.
tad ghostal

Postby scannest » Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:10 am

tad ghostal wrote:Speaking of the New French Extremity craze, "Inside" was fucking intense.

I remember reading reviews when it came out and thinking "No WAY am I going to watch that!"
scannest

Postby tad ghostal » Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:25 am

scannest wrote:
tad ghostal wrote:Speaking of the New French Extremity craze, "Inside" was fucking intense.

I remember reading reviews when it came out and thinking "No WAY am I going to watch that!"

It's really brutal. I watched it by myself (there was no way my wife would watch something like that) and end up pacing around the room for most of the movie. It kinda soured me on all those home invasion movies that followed, at least the ones I saw, like "The Strangers" and "Them" because I don't think they could match the intensity of "Inside" (plus, I thought that "The Strangers" got really boring after about a half hour).
tad ghostal

Postby Michele » Fri Nov 01, 2013 6:15 pm

just saw with my daughter Army Of Darkness, she wasn't able to fully apreciate the glory of such an epic movie... I would call it pure genious!
it's a labirinth fullfilled with endless jokes, cliches and references... pure pleasure for 80s movies lovers
Michele

Postby johnnotkathi » Sat Nov 02, 2013 5:01 am

john stabb wrote:The Zombie movies like 28 Days Later & remakes of The Dead-series I find annoying because I don't buy FAST ZOMBIES. They're braindead ZOMBIES so they must move slow. Fast Zombies are not for me.:

28 days later was good and remember, those were not zombies but people infected with "rage" so their speed did not bug me. :D

World War Z was too CG for me.....

Exorcist is awesome....

The original Dawn of the Dead is hard to beat.....
johnnotkathi

Postby Janelle » Sat Nov 02, 2013 1:32 pm

I know everyone chimed in already but what I really like are:
Texas Chainsaw Massacre - I still think this is the best ever. The way it's shot, the desperation, the low-budget, the insanity of it all. Please, how many of these flicks has it influenced (House Of 1000 Corpses so much, Frontier(s) so much) that sitting at the table with the freaked-out freak captors and then you think you're getting away and you get into a PICKUP truck with someone who's a part of the family ha to bring you back to the house you're escaping from...
Psycho - Original bad-ass. All hail Anthony Perkins and Hitchcock.
Halloween - I guess it's "cliche" and not all that scary but there's something about it...! The original, not all the sequels, ESPECIALLY not #3 Season Of The Witch what the hell was that with the dorky masks and nothing to do with the original? (that I remember) I saw this ages ago and just remember the "(insert number here) days till Halloween" song they'd have the kids singing.
Audition - that thing is just f****ed. Ew I'm still grossed out. Never again.
And talk about gross-out - I guess it was supposed to be "funny" horror but it f-ed me up too - Human Centipede ew!!!!!!!! And now, great, when I watch something on FearNet, they have commercials for it cos they're featuring it ALL November. Yuck!!
Clash77 - I liked Bloodfeast too! That was fun. Thanks for showing me that!
Yeah and the originals - Dracula (Bela!!!!!!!!!!) and all those greats.
Peter Jackson before he was "big" - Dead Alive!!!!!!! Gore galore!
I still like Hellraiser too.
The Hills Have Eyes and Last House On The Left (the originals - I saw the remake with Jesse (!) from Breaking Bad but whatever). Best story ever, though, I think it was with the a few years ago Hills Have Eyes II, one of the movie theatres around here, poor little kids were going in to see some kid movie and "by accident" (?) the people put on THE FIRST FEW MINUTES of Hills Have Eyes II where the woman's giving birth in a gross manner obviously ha to something. Oh my god. I remember reading about it in the newspaper the next day. Sorry, I laughed. But I like kids and I feel sorry they had to see it and scar them for life, it was just so strange...
Night Of The Living Dead
Evil Dead and Evil Dead II - NOT the third one, Army Of Darkness. I remember trying to watch that at my friend's house like just out of high school or in college and it was dumb.
Last edited by Janelle on Sat Nov 02, 2013 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
When your number's up be what you are
Janelle

Postby Janelle » Sat Nov 02, 2013 1:34 pm

Janelle

Postby john stabb » Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:04 am

I just saw most of The Evil Dead (new remake) & it was lame. :x There's no way on earth you could do any better than the first 2 versions. And Bruce Campbell is the best!

We watched all the way to Friday the 13th 5 on this new doc about the making of the Friday the 13th series tonight. Pretty good and made me really appreciate 4: The Final Chapter with Crispin Glover & Savini's make-up. I never liked the original-3 so I'd like to think of 4 as the real start. But what the F :arrow: :?: :!: was Jason X about :?: They needed to stop making them after 4.

And I agree with Janelle: The Human Centipede. I thought it was awful. But don't agree with Bloodfeast. That gore-nonsense is not horrific, just overdone.
john stabb

Postby Michele » Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:58 am

what's about the Rob Zombie movie The Lords Of Salem? I used to love quite a lot its horror movies, specially the original ones.
Michele

Postby Janelle » Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:36 am

john stabb wrote:I just saw most of The Evil Dead (new remake) & it was lame. :x There's no way on earth you could do any better than the first 2 versions. And Bruce Campbell is the best!

We watched all the way to Friday the 13th 5 on this new doc about the making of the Friday the 13th series tonight. Pretty good and made me really appreciate 4: The Final Chapter with Crispin Glover & Savini's make-up. I never liked the original-3 so I'd like to think of 4 as the real start. But what the F :arrow: :?: :!: was Jason X about :?: They needed to stop making them after 4.

And I agree with Janelle: The Human Centipede. I thought it was awful. But don't agree with Bloodfeast. That gore-nonsense is not horrific, just overdone.

Ew! I almost got physically sick when I heard they were doing the EVIL DEAD remake! Like why!!!!!!!!!!!
Janelle

Postby tad ghostal » Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:27 pm

Janelle wrote:
john stabb wrote:I just saw most of The Evil Dead (new remake) & it was lame. :x There's no way on earth you could do any better than the first 2 versions. And Bruce Campbell is the best!

Ew! I almost got physically sick when I heard they were doing the EVIL DEAD remake! Like why!!!!!!!!!!!

They remake everything nowadays. I'm surprised that no one has remade The Exorcist yet. I heard that they are thinking of re-booting the Halloween movies again.
tad ghostal

Return to daghouse