Go-Betweens

Go-Betweens

Postby patient_ot » Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:14 pm

Amongst '80s bands with a similar sound/style, I think that the Go-Betweens were remarkably consistent and unique. I really can't think of much else that really sounds like them when you get down to it (beyond basic elements).

Any fans here?
patient_ot

Re: Go-Betweens

Postby clash77 » Fri Oct 25, 2013 3:07 pm

I would recommend checking out The Bats if you've never heard them..Very similar sound from the 80's and from New Zealand..
clash77

Postby JGJR » Fri Oct 25, 2013 3:15 pm

Huge fan, an all-time favorite band a a very special one because I met my wife at one of their shows (Southpaw, which was a club in Brooklyn, in 2005). 16 Lovers Lane and Liberty Belle and the Black Diamond Express are my favorites and of the reunion albums, I really dig The Friends of Rachel Worth and their last album Oceans Apartt.

I'm still gutted about Grant McLennan's passing and it's been more than 7 years now. RIP.

Also, you're starting to scare me a little, patient_ot. Your musical taste is eerily similar to my own, like very very similar.
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby yourenotevil » Fri Oct 25, 2013 3:17 pm

JGJR wrote:
Also, you're starting to scare me a little, patient_ot. Your musical taste is eerily similar to my own, like very very similar.

yeah same here, at least in the punk and metal dept. were you on the old board?
"What the fuck? Fuck Shit up!"-Chuck Dukowski
yourenotevil

Postby patient_ot » Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:17 pm

I honestly don't remember if I registered on the old board. If I was, I probably didn't post very much.
patient_ot

Postby patient_ot » Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:19 pm

clash77 wrote:I would recommend checking out The Bats if you've never heard them..Very similar sound from the 80's and from New Zealand..

Yeah, I love lots of stuff from NZ. They had a ton of great bands in the 80s and 90s. The only thing I have right now by the Bats is the singles comp. "compiletely Bats". I like it better than their first LP, but I'm not familiar with most of their discography.
patient_ot

Postby JGJR » Sat Oct 26, 2013 1:01 pm

patient_ot wrote:
clash77 wrote:I would recommend checking out The Bats if you've never heard them..Very similar sound from the 80's and from New Zealand..

Yeah, I love lots of stuff from NZ. They had a ton of great bands in the 80s and 90s. The only thing I have right now by the Bats is the singles comp. "compiletely Bats". I like it better than their first LP, but I'm not familiar with most of their discography.

I love The Bats, too, but they deserve their own thread!
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Return to daghouse