Shades Apart

Shades Apart

Postby patient_ot » Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:51 pm

Anyone dig this band?

I think their s/t album on Wishingwell is a way under-appreciated melodic hardcore gem from the time that kinda gets lost in the shuffle. The follow up LP, Neon, is just as good, but has more of an early 90s east-coast post-hardcore vibe. I'm also got "save it", which I guess is a leaning toward more of a mainstream vibe, but it's still quite good. I don't know anything about their recordings after that...
patient_ot

Re: Shades Apart

Postby yourenotevil » Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:58 pm

that first lp is great, never got into the later stuff. supposedly their demo tape(under the name subculture) is awesome, but i have never found an online copy of it, and even physical copies seem hard to find.
"What the fuck? Fuck Shit up!"-Chuck Dukowski
yourenotevil

Postby JGJR » Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:01 pm

Disclaimer: I'm a huge fan of that first Lp and still play it occasionally. I think I booked them once, too. I saw them a dozen times or more in the '90s as they always played around. Anyway, the Dude Danger 12" (included on the CD version of that 1st Lp) is really good, too, and I really like Save It as well. I only heard Neon in more recent years and it didn't grab me nor have I ever heard their two major label Lps (just a song or two from each).
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby Gary » Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:28 pm

The only one I'm familiar with is "save it",but I like it
Gary

Postby Neal » Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:30 pm

neon is the album i heard first and it's still my fave. short and slick. i like everything else mentioned here though. i've listened to seeing things online, but still need to grab a copy at some point. everything after sounds pretty meh.
Neal

Postby JGJR » Fri Oct 25, 2013 3:19 pm

Neal wrote:neon is the album i heard first and it's still my fave. short and slick. i like everything else mentioned here though. i've listened to seeing things online, but still need to grab a copy at some point. everything after sounds pretty meh.

I think that's my problem with Neon. I like them more stripped-down for sure and speaking of that, I've also never heard that Subculture demo, but have been looking for it for years.
JGJR

Postby dude munhoz » Fri Oct 25, 2013 4:29 pm

I like Seeing Things and Eyewitness.
dude munhoz

Postby gregpolard » Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:48 pm

I can't believe only one person mentioned their best LP "Seeing Things".
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby JGJR » Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:18 pm

gregpolard wrote:I can't believe only one person mentioned their best LP "Seeing Things".

I've never heard it.
JGJR

Postby gregpolard » Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:19 pm

JGJR wrote:
gregpolard wrote:I can't believe only one person mentioned their best LP "Seeing Things".

I've never heard it.

Bill and Stephen produced it. It's very ALL esque.
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby JGJR » Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:24 pm

gregpolard wrote:
JGJR wrote:

I've never heard it.

They produced Save It (kind of where I stopped with them) as well. Folks say it's very Descendents/ALL-like, but I've never really thought that, honestly.
JGJR

Postby wALLton » Sat Oct 26, 2013 12:17 am

Gary wrote:The only one I'm familiar with is "save it",but I like it

Same here, this is the only one I own but must admit I haven't listened in ages. I remember liking it and wanting to check out more of their releases but just haven't gotten around to it yet. I'll add them to the (very lengthy) list.
wALLton

Postby drew » Sat Oct 26, 2013 1:04 am

The first LP will always have a special meaning to me. Plus, they reminded me of Dag Nasty, in a totally good way. The 1st lp, & Dude Danger are great, great ,great records. They were awesome live around that time also. Still saw them after that, a couple of times with Sensefield, but they weren't as good anymore…..
drew

Postby JGJR » Sat Oct 26, 2013 3:45 pm

drew wrote:The first LP will always have a special meaning to me. Plus, they reminded me of Dag Nasty, in a totally good way. The 1st lp, & Dude Danger are great, great ,great records. They were awesome live around that time also. Still saw them after that, a couple of times with Sensefield, but they weren't as good anymore…..

I'm right there with you on those first two records (my favorites of theirs, as I said earlier), but up to '96 (the last time I saw them, I think) they were still a great live band.
JGJR

Postby gregpolard » Sat Oct 26, 2013 4:20 pm

JGJR wrote:
gregpolard wrote:
JGJR wrote:

I've never heard it.

They produced Save It (kind of where I stopped with them) as well. Folks say it's very Descendents/ALL-like, but I've never really thought that, honestly.

See, "Save It" is the first album of theirs I ever heard....when it came out I was probably 15 and thought even then "wow, this sounds a lot like ALL era Descendents"
gregpolard

Postby earthdog70 » Sun Oct 27, 2013 1:59 pm

Like all their stuff, even the more poppy stuff at the end. Sadly never got to see them live. :(
"And so it goes."-Kurt Vonnegut
earthdog70

Return to daghouse