Unwound

Unwound

Postby version sound » Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:46 am

I've never knowingly heard a note of their music. Am I missing anything?
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Re: Unwound

Postby yourenotevil » Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:51 am

i don't think so, but they definitely have their fans. i saw them open for fugazi in 95 or so and they were godawful. they seemed more like a band you "had to like" back in that scene, along with godheadsilo, huggy bear, bikini kill, etc. but ,as anyone here knows, i hate that stuff.
"What the fuck? Fuck Shit up!"-Chuck Dukowski
yourenotevil

Postby version sound » Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:06 am

Never heard any of those bands, except Bikini Kill, who I didn't really like.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby JGJR » Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:48 am

version sound wrote:Never heard any of those bands, except Bikini Kill, who I didn't really like.

I love Bikini Kill (at least up to Pussy Whipped; I don't really care for their last album all that much; they lost a bit when they got a better-sounding recording, et al.), but I would answer yes to your original question. I think you may enjoy Unwound. Their output ranges from fairly standard post-hardcore type stuff (they had a 7" on Gravity if that means anything to you). Their early breakthrough was New Plastic Ideas (a terrific album that's kind of like if Sonic Youth was a post-hardcore band), but I also really like their last album (it's a double). They got progressively proggier and more post-rock-ish as they went on, but they didn't get all Talk Talk like (not an insult; the last 2 Talk Talk records are great; they just don't rock at all). They were still very much a rock band even towards the end of their tenure.

Oh and some of Huggy Bear's stuff is really great, too, particularly their side of the split Lp with Bikini Kill.
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby the mean » Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:33 am

I saw Unwound probably 7-10 times. For the most part, I wasn't that into them. However, one of my bands played with them in a park in South Dakota and for some reason they were amazing that night. I have a some of their records, and throw them on occasionally. They hold up reasonably well.
the mean

Postby patient_ot » Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:05 pm

This was a band that I never got into for some reason during the mid 90s. People that like them are usually into stuff like Hoover or Sonic Youth, Drive Like Jehu, etc. (I actually like those bands too, btw)

They definitely had their fans.

The only stuff I've ever heard were some random tracks on mixtapes when I used to trade tapes by mail years ago.
patient_ot

Postby tad ghostal » Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:09 pm

I really like Unwound. I only saw them twice. The second time was right before the last album came out and everything was a lot mellower than their previous stuff. I liked it but a lot of people I knew at the show were bored. I heard that they could be really inconsistent live.

This guy says that they were the best band of the '90s:
http://www.avclub.com/articles/why-unwo ... 0s,102325/
tad ghostal

Postby Michele » Sun Oct 27, 2013 3:20 pm

same here, never heard their music while looks like they were in my same diet at the period or at least on a similar mood... any album recomendation?
"Punker": Damnit, your english is confusing!
"Version Sound": Damnit, your english is amazing!
"Cischord": Damnit, my English is confusing!
Michele

Postby hkphooey » Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:02 pm

Great band that i don't listen to enough....

I would start with their 1st and last albums
1 Fake Train is faster and noisier
and
2 Leaves Turn Inside You is their last album and they mellowed out ..album starts with about a 2 minute feedback hum

if you like get "the future of what" & "new plastic ideas"
then "repetition" and "challenge"
hkphooey

Postby BAIN » Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:17 pm

Start w New Plastic Ideas

Amazing band that I was only fortunate enough to see once at Maxwells around 1993.
BAIN

Postby BAIN » Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:18 pm

patient_ot wrote:People that like them are usually into stuff like Hoover or Sonic Youth, Drive Like Jehu, etc.

Damn you are good!!!
Spot on!!!
BAIN

Postby yourenotevil » Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:25 pm

patient_ot wrote:This was a band that I never got into for some reason during the mid 90s. People that like them are usually into stuff like Hoover or Sonic Youth, Drive Like Jehu, etc. (I actually like those bands too, btw)

They definitely had their fans.

The only stuff I've ever heard were some random tracks on mixtapes when I used to trade tapes by mail years ago.

haha, this is correct and the type of stuff i am def not into.
yourenotevil

Postby BAIN » Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:46 pm

yourenotevil wrote: haha, this is correct and the type of stuff i am def not into.

Please listen to this and get back to me = http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCrp8VJDZvE

Probably in my top 10
BAIN

Postby yourenotevil » Mon Oct 28, 2013 3:30 pm

BAIN wrote:
yourenotevil wrote: haha, this is correct and the type of stuff i am def not into.

Please listen to this and get back to me = http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCrp8VJDZvE

Probably in my top 10

actually, DLJ are definitely okay, but they don't do much for me.
yourenotevil

Postby Michele » Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:04 pm

thanks for the suggestions :)
"Punker": Damnit, your english is confusing!
"Version Sound": Damnit, your english is amazing!
"Cischord": Damnit, my English is confusing!
Michele

Postby Janelle » Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:25 pm

version sound wrote:I've never knowingly heard a note of their music. Am I missing anything?

Yes! Sooooooo good.
When your number's up be what you are
Janelle

Postby Janelle » Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:33 pm

A great record is 'The Future Of What'
great songs off it:
New Energy
Natural Disasters
Equally Stupid
Accidents On Purpose
Swan
Janelle

Postby Janelle » Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:03 pm

Mmm just looking again cos haven't listened in a while - more good songs, not on that album I wrote - "Corpse Pose" and the best title (!) "Unauthorized Autobiography"
Janelle

Postby Janelle » Wed Oct 30, 2013 5:22 pm

hkphooey wrote:Great band that i don't listen to enough....

I would start with their 1st and last albums
1 Fake Train is faster and noisier
and
2 Leaves Turn Inside You is their last album and they mellowed out ..album starts with about a 2 minute feedback hum

if you like get "the future of what" & "new plastic ideas"
then "repetition" and "challenge"

Love it - The Future Of What - I put like five songs and none were those! I like mine better ha. Aw no hard feelings
Janelle

Postby Dan Celebrity » Sun Nov 03, 2013 4:49 pm

One of my favorite bands. The later-mellower stuff doesn't quite do it for me though. Numero Group just released a triple LP set of all their original lineup stuff. It definitely hits some of the 90's post-hardcore cliches, but there's loads of great songs even in their early stages. Fake Train to Future of What is quite an amazing trilogy IMO.

Oh, and the Young Ginns 7" is gold. I think it's just Unwound with Tim Green. I always thought it sounded like Rites Of Spring doing a Black Flag tribute or something.
Dan Celebrity

Postby JGJR » Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:35 pm

Dan Celebrity wrote:One of my favorite bands. The later-mellower stuff doesn't quite do it for me though. Numero Group just released a triple LP set of all their original lineup stuff. It definitely hits some of the 90's post-hardcore cliches, but there's loads of great songs even in their early stages. Fake Train to Future of What is quite an amazing trilogy IMO.

Oh, and the Young Ginns 7" is gold. I think it's just Unwound with Tim Green. I always thought it sounded like Rites Of Spring doing a Black Flag tribute or something.

The singer on the Young Ginns 7" is a called named Brett Frost, but otherwise I think you're correct about the Unwound connection.

http://www.discogs.com/artist/Young+Ginns
JGJR

Postby tad ghostal » Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:16 am

JGJR wrote:
Dan Celebrity wrote:One of my favorite bands. The later-mellower stuff doesn't quite do it for me though. Numero Group just released a triple LP set of all their original lineup stuff. It definitely hits some of the 90's post-hardcore cliches, but there's loads of great songs even in their early stages. Fake Train to Future of What is quite an amazing trilogy IMO.

The singer on the Young Ginns 7" is a called named Brett Frost, but otherwise I think you're correct about the Unwound connection.

I have the CD collection, Young Ginns were Tim Green, Justin from Unwound on bass, Brandt, who was Unwound's original drummer, and Brett Frost. The CD is cool. I liked Justin and Brandt's other project, Worst Case Scenario, even better.
tad ghostal

Postby Dan Celebrity » Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:40 pm

tad ghostal wrote:
JGJR wrote:

I have the CD collection, Young Ginns were Tim Green, Justin from Unwound on bass, Brandt, who was Unwound's original drummer, and Brett Frost. The CD is cool. I liked Justin and Brandt's other project, Worst Case Scenario, even better.

I like the Worst Case Scenario stuff a lot, but I can't listen to it as a discography. It's too much at once. That Young Ginns CD is cool, but the non-7" stuff isn't quite as good, which was a bummer. Though in the unreleased stuff's defense I really love that 7", so the odds were against it. The booklet of the Unwound box that just came out talks about them hanging out with NOU and Vern bonding with Tim Green over their love of Black Flag, thus Young Ginns were born.
Dan Celebrity

Postby tad ghostal » Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:00 am

Has anyone heard Survival Knife? It's Justin Trosper's new band with Brandt Sandeno on guitar. They have a couple of 7"s out. I think they sound a bit like late period Unwound (pre-Leave Turn Inside You) but a bit more upbeat. The rhythm section sounds totally different, but then again, I thought the Vern Rumsey/Sara Lund combination in Unwound was pretty unique.
tad ghostal

Postby JGJR » Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:09 am

tad ghostal wrote:Has anyone heard Survival Knife? It's Justin Trosper's new band with Brandt Sandeno on guitar. They have a couple of 7"s out. I think they sound a bit like late period Unwound (pre-Leave Turn Inside You) but a bit more upbeat. The rhythm section sounds totally different, but then again, I thought the Vern Rumsey/Sara Lund combination in Unwound was pretty unique.

No, but we did see Sara Lund's new band open for Corin Tucker (whom she plays drums for now, too) and it was just OK. I forgot their name (will have to look it up). She is still a great drummer, though!

I looked it up and they are called Hungry Ghost.

http://www.discogs.com/Hungry-Ghost-Hun ... se/3926020
JGJR

Return to daghouse