Whatcha Gonna Be For Halloween?

Whatcha Gonna Be For Halloween?

Postby version sound » Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:57 am

That is, if you aren't too much of a jaded old fuck to celebrate the world's best holiday.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Re: Whatcha Gonna Be For Halloween?

Postby yourenotevil » Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:32 am

i guess i am an old jaded fuck. if you aren't trying to get laid at a party or going out trick or treating with your kids, dressing up for halloween as an adult is weird.
"What the fuck? Fuck Shit up!"-Chuck Dukowski
yourenotevil

Postby Chris Shary » Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:43 am

I have Creature mask, gloves and feet. I wear it with a suit and I'm the TEACHER from the Black Lagoon! Funny right?
Chris Shary

Postby Janelle » Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:59 am

yourenotevil wrote:i guess i am an old jaded fuck. if you aren't trying to get laid at a party or going out trick or treating with your kids, dressing up for halloween as an adult is weird.

Trying to get laid at a party?! ha!!!!! What could a grown man wear that makes a girl want to? Sorry if you're not a kid... it's kinda lame.
When your number's up be what you are
Janelle

Postby Janelle » Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:02 am

In continuation, like when I was at Irving Plaza for Flag and TSOL and was waiting in the area just inside the performance area and hanging out slightly by the merch tables waiting for Clash77 to park his damn car (!) I see Jerry Only in full regalia. Okay We get it but okay, are you playing no. Unnecessary ha!
Janelle

Postby version sound » Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:01 pm

You childless people are too "mature" for your own good. Loosen up and enjoy yourselves, for fuck's sake. You know what's lame? Going out to the bar with hipster doofuses and getting drunk while being cool..
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby Janelle » Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:03 pm

version sound wrote:You childless people are too "mature" for your own good. Loosen up and enjoy yourselves, for fuck's sake. You know what's lame? Going out to the bar with hipster doofuses and getting drunk while being cool..

No, if you're going with your kids aw that's cool! But I'll be dressed as me going to see Captain play as Dag Nasty!!
Janelle

Postby captain2man » Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:06 pm

I'm going to be Roger Marbury & Doug Carrion.

If I do end up at a party - I might go as a ghost. No - seriously - like old-school.....put a sheet over my body and cut out a few holes so I can see & hold a drink. I can go "wooooooo.....wooooo......." all scary like.
captain2man

Postby scannest » Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:17 pm

version sound wrote:You childless people are too "mature" for your own good. Loosen up and enjoy yourselves, for fuck's sake. You know what's lame? Going out to the bar with hipster doofuses and getting drunk while being cool..

I've seen no announcement of your awesome costume, VS.

I will be at the obligatory Halloween cover band fest on Friday (bands being covered: Rancid, Ramones, Bad Brains, MC5(!!!), Jawbreaker and a 'Riot Girl' best-of), but have not contemplated a costume yet.
"It's got some great chanting on it" - gregpolard.
scannest

Postby Knutsen » Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:39 pm

Nothing, but I just bought some. disgusting slimey eyebal candy, that I will hand out to the brats.
Listening to Punk today is like listening to Glenn Miller in 1982.
Knutsen

Postby yourenotevil » Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:46 pm

well i am neither of those things. i can see having fun with it if you have kids and dressing up with them. honestly, i think the last time i seriously dressed up and went trick or treating was in 6th grade. at some point, i just got over it. even in my "party hard" raging days, i don't recall ever doing anything more than going to a party. i'll listen to some misfits or something, but i just don't get all nutty about halloween.
yourenotevil

Postby version sound » Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:03 pm

I make no claims of awesomeness, just non-stick-in-the-muddiness. My daughter decided she wanted to be Sohpia the First and dictated that my wife and I be the queen and king, respectively. I'll take it. She previousy wanted to be Alice and insisted that I be Tweedle Dee.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby yourenotevil » Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:09 pm

version sound wrote:I make no claims of awesomeness, just non-stick-in-the-muddiness. My daughter decided she wanted to be Sohpia the First and dictated that my wife and I be the queen and king, respectively. I'll take it. She previousy wanted to be Alice and insisted that I be Tweedle Dee.

i mean, i will stick by saying i think it is weird for people over the age of 25 to be going around dressed up on halloween unless they are going to some type of specific halloween function. like, when you work in an office or something there is always the one person who comes fully dressed up in that costume you know they spent 100 bucks or more to rent, but they are not the partying type. those people are weird, what can i say? i remember one night i stayed in to watch football, and i'll prolly do it next thu as well.
yourenotevil

Postby version sound » Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:14 pm

I agree with that. I'm talking about dressing up for a halloween party, or even at home, if you live somewhere that kids actually trick or treat. One of the biggest bummers about living in an apartment building is the lack of trick or treaters.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby yourenotevil » Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:17 pm

version sound wrote:I agree with that. I'm talking about dressing up for a halloween party, or even at home, if you live somewhere that kids actually trick or treat. One of the biggest bummers about living in an apartment building is the lack of trick or treaters.

i have actually always considered this an advantage, as i never have to buy candy or deal with getting my door egged or whatever.
yourenotevil

Postby JGJR » Thu Oct 24, 2013 4:36 pm

yourenotevil wrote:
version sound wrote:I agree with that. I'm talking about dressing up for a halloween party, or even at home, if you live somewhere that kids actually trick or treat. One of the biggest bummers about living in an apartment building is the lack of trick or treaters.

i have actually always considered this an advantage, as i never have to buy candy or deal with getting my door egged or whatever.

I'm with VS. You know I like you, YNE, so please don't take this personally but that is stick-in-the-mud-like for sure. I consider it a wonderful advantage that we live in on the first floor of a house with a porch and so we get a lot of trick and treaters, buy up tons of candy every year and it all gets taken in an hour or two. It's wonderful to see so many kids come over with their parents, older siblings, etc. I'm looking forward to when our son is old enough to participate in the neighborhood Halloween parade so we can do that, too.

But yeah, other than that, I like the holiday a lot, but haven't had a Halloween costume since 2005 (I was an iPod) since that's the last time I went to a Halloween party. I have friends who at the time were living in Hoboken and every year they'd have a Halloween party. The year before, I was a Roman senator (rented the costume from a shop in Chelsea). I have a friend who went to the same party as Cornel West!

I really wanted to dress up as Heisenberg this year, but I don't think I'll do that.
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby yourenotevil » Thu Oct 24, 2013 4:46 pm

JGJR wrote:
yourenotevil wrote:

I'm with VS. You know I like you, YNE, so please don't take this personally but that is stick-in-the-mud-like for sure. I consider it a wonderful advantage that we live in on the first floor of a house with a porch and so we get a lot of trick and treaters, buy up tons of candy every year and it all gets taken in an hour or two. It's wonderful to see so many kids come over with their parents, older siblings, etc. I'm looking forward to when our son is old enough to participate in the neighborhood Halloween parade so we can do that, too.

But yeah, other than that, I like the holiday a lot, but haven't had a Halloween costume since 2005 (I was an iPod) since that's the last time I went to a Halloween party. I have friends who at the time were living in Hoboken and every year they'd have a Halloween party. The year before, I was a Roman senator (rented the costume from a shop in Chelsea). I have a friend who went to the same party as Cornel West!

I really wanted to dress up as Heisenberg this year, but I don't think I'll do that.

no offense taken by this stick in the mud. toxic holocaust is doing a halloween show for 6 bucks, i might go check that out, but i ain't dressing up.
yourenotevil

Postby version sound » Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:30 pm

JGJR wrote:I'm looking forward to when our son is old enough to participate in the neighborhood Halloween parade so we can do that, too.

What are you waiting for? Stick him in a little costume, pop him in the Baby Bjorn, and join in. One of the highlights of our neighborhood Halloween parade is getting all fanboy about seeing Alec MacKaye and family.

JGJR wrote:I really wanted to dress up as Heisenberg this year, but I don't think I'll do that.

Why so uncertain?
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby JGJR » Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:38 pm

version sound wrote:
JGJR wrote:I'm looking forward to when our son is old enough to participate in the neighborhood Halloween parade so we can do that, too.

What are you waiting for? Stick him in a little costume, pop him in the Baby Bjorn, and join in. One of the highlights of our neighborhood Halloween parade is getting all fanboy about seeing Alec MacKaye and family.

JGJR wrote:I really wanted to dress up as Heisenberg this year, but I don't think I'll do that.

Why so uncertain?

Part of it is that I just don't really feel like shaving my head and also shaving my beard into a goatee. Also, I'd rather take him when he can appreciate it more. I may change my mind, though, but for now it's tough to go anywhere with him since he's not on a set morning/afternoon schedule yet (not until he starts eating solid food). I still manage to leave the house just for an hour or two most days just for a walk around the neighborhood (usually complete with a stop at a local coffeehouse) or to go to the farmers' market (like today) or something in that vein.

Also, we don't have a Baby Bjorn, FWIW. We have an Ergo and only used it a handful of times. Now he's too big for it and wants to face outwards when he's in a carrier, so I got a cheap Infantino carrier at a tag sale and it's terrific. We mostly use the stroller (A LOT easier to use; too many straps/harnesses on the carrier and tough to fasten by yourself, so I use it when my wife can set it up for me, basically).
JGJR

Postby version sound » Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:46 pm

Would you say it's a matter of principle?
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby JGJR » Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:40 pm

version sound wrote:Would you say it's a matter of principle?

What is?
JGJR

Postby version sound » Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:06 pm

JGJR wrote:

What is?

The uncertainty.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby gregpolard » Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:20 pm

version sound wrote:
JGJR wrote:

What is?

The uncertainty.

I see what you did there. And I love it.
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby earthdog70 » Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:36 pm

Earthpuppy wanted to be Death (aka The Grim Ripper) but the wife nixed it so-Harry Potter it is :lol:

My daughter is going to be Ariel-the mermaid.

I can't dress up since I will be headed to a show after the trick-or treating.

It's a surprise (the show is) :bag:
"And so it goes."-Kurt Vonnegut
earthdog70

Postby version sound » Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:15 pm

earthdog70 wrote:It's a surprise (the show is) :bag:

To who, your family? :D :o :lol: 8-)
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby version sound » Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:19 pm

gregpolard wrote:
version sound wrote:
JGJR wrote:

What is?

The uncertainty.

I see what you did there. And I love it.

Thank god someone does. It's harder than you'd think to get a Heisenberg joke over in this room.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby john stabb » Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:34 pm

Edog, the Grim Reaper would rock over Harry Potter :!: If only you could find those really cheesy drug-store costumes like Cornelius of Planet of the Apes (I wore the mask but they ran outta the costume so I turned the inside of a coat out with the furry part: see my profile pic on the Face' this month. :)

I was Christopher Walken as The Continental for a few years but last time (with pencil thin 'stache that Hunter's still trying to grow- ;) was mistaken for John Waters. I might dress up as something with my Meowgirl if we head to a gig.

I'm always impressed when cool Moms help design something interesting for their kids. Trick or Treating's kind of a dying art unless you live in an open-minded hood. :(
GI is a group of grown men who enjoy torturing each other and the crowd.
john stabb

Postby john stabb » Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:42 am

Well, thinking about going to the Director's cut (w/ writer) screening of THE EXORCIST in Georgetown with my Meowgirl. Also contemplating being Chairman Meow & her being Elsa Lan-cat-ster (Bride of Frankenstein in cat-form). Might be fun to dress up this time around. :)
john stabb

Postby scannest » Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:15 am

Milo has chosen to go as Pikachu this year which I find really funny as he likes to pretend to be all tough and grown-up (he's 8) and the costume makes him look like an adorable 4 year old.
"It's got some great chanting on it" - gregpolard.
scannest

Postby tango fistula » Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:18 am

I'm gonna be COLD...as I'm flyin in to Boston that day
to do three shows over the weekend...one of them in Dover NH!
tango fistula

Postby danny » Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:10 pm

my ten year old is dressing up as slash. i don't know what to make of it. he knows i can't stand guns and hosebags. i'll post a picture...but i won't be able to hide my shame and disgust.
danny

Postby john stabb » Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:23 pm

Slash :?: :!: Oh Danny, the shame & disgust may be too overpowering to get over. :o "WHY SON WHY WHY WHY :?: :!:" Sounds like one of the Dags favorite Discharge songs ;)
john stabb

Postby tango fistula » Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:47 am

My city kinda skips Halloween in favor of long held local traditions...

http://www.allsoulsprocession.org/

Anyone is allowed in the procession...and its used to celebrate and represent loved ones that have passed on.

Lots of people dress up...make floats and spend a good part of the year planning...

I think its totally rad.
tango fistula

Postby drew » Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:45 pm

Halloween rules! I am not dressing up this year, unfortunately. I always wear a costume, last year it took two days for us to get ready! I love the kids trick or treating, love going to parties & getting real fucked up & walking the streets of NYC hanging with the other crazies..........what's not to love??

The kids trick or treat in the building where I currently reside so I'll be home with my Zombie eye-patch thing & will scare the hell out of the little ones....can't wait.
drew

Postby danny » Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:43 am

here's a picture of my son, sam, at his fifth grade halloween party.

danny

Postby captain2man » Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:41 pm

I don't dress up for Halloween (I dress up in costume every time my band plays, so that's enough). But my wife has a thing for dressing up as characters with facial hair. Hall & Oates this year, bearded lady last year and Billy Mays two years ago.

captain2man

Return to daghouse