Hardcore/Punk/Metal

Hardcore/Punk/Metal

Postby clash77 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:21 pm

As I'm sure is the case for many here, I have always enjoyed all of the above ..Is there a CLEAR preference for you???
clash77

Re: Hardcore/Punk/Metal

Postby crus » Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:46 pm

No but I definitely prefer punk and metal. Exactly what hardcore is baffles me but the other two are somewhat easier to pinpoint.
crus

Postby version sound » Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:58 am

Depends on my mood, but generally, probably hardcore, since that was my passion in my formative years.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby FormerLurker » Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:56 am

Almost all hardcore is unlistenable.
FormerLurker

Postby jaybird » Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:06 am

I like metallic-hardcore-punk better than punkish-metallic-hardcore.
jaybird

Postby JGJR » Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:14 am

Punk first, then (early '80s to early '90s style) hardcore depending upon my mood. To be honest, I could do without most metal except for Black Sabbath (both Ozzy and Dio but especially the former) and the first 4 Metallica Lps as well as Motorhead.
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby MXV » Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:21 am

I believe in all three of these things
The Punk Vault: http://www.punkvinyl.com
MXV

Postby patient_ot » Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:18 am

It really depends on my mood. These days I probably listen to more old punk and post punk type stuff than straight up hardcore or metal.

Metal has always been kind of side thing for me. There are probably about 100 or so metal albums I'd consider essential but metal doesn't make up a huge portion of my collection.

I love lots of old hardcore from the 80s and 90s but have to be in the mood to listen to it. I'd love to hear some newer hardcore bands that don't sound crappy or generic but since I don't follow hardcore anymore I have no idea where to start. About three years ago I got into some newer Japanese and European bands that were really good.
patient_ot

Postby version sound » Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:46 pm

There are metal records I really love, but I've never really felt personally connected to it. The only metal band I've ever seen live is Metallica, and that was a result of a buddy calling me the night of the show and asking if I wanted to go.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby yourenotevil » Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:01 pm

i will always go back to hardcore, no matter what i have been listening to. i guess it is also easy to sit and listen to the first four years as opposed to some other band's album that is over an hour. i go through periods where i listen to a lot of punk/hc or metal and hardly anything else, but i try to mix it up.
"What the fuck? Fuck Shit up!"-Chuck Dukowski
yourenotevil

Postby WrEtcH » Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:59 pm

got into metal first and I'll ALWAYS be a Metal guy. that side will never leave.
that being said, I tend to listen to punk more because it's more accessible of how my moods swings might be.
^v^
WrEtcH

Postby JGJR » Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:57 pm

patient_ot wrote:It really depends on my mood. These days I probably listen to more old punk and post punk type stuff than straight up hardcore or metal.

Metal has always been kind of side thing for me. There are probably about 100 or so metal albums I'd consider essential but metal doesn't make up a huge portion of my collection.

I love lots of old hardcore from the 80s and 90s but have to be in the mood to listen to it. I'd love to hear some newer hardcore bands that don't sound crappy or generic but since I don't follow hardcore anymore I have no idea where to start. About three years ago I got into some newer Japanese and European bands that were really good.

Pretty much all of this, though I'd narrow down the essential (for me) metal albums to the best work of the bands I mentioned before and a few other odds and ends. I definitely agree with your first paragraph and tthe first sentence of your 3rd paragraph the most.
JGJR

Postby yourenotevil » Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:19 pm

patient_ot wrote:It really depends on my mood. These days I probably listen to more old punk and post punk type stuff than straight up hardcore or metal.

newer bands that don't suck: mind eraser, pulling teeth, iron age, tragedy(esp the first two lps), give, double negative, hellshock, criminal damage. some of those bands are broken up or even put out albums in 2000 or so, but i would rate these guys as some of the better stuff to come out over the last 13 years. i guess it depends on your tastes though.
yourenotevil

Postby yourenotevil » Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:07 am

crus wrote:No but I definitely prefer punk and metal. Exactly what hardcore is baffles me but the other two are somewhat easier to pinpoint.

how is hardcore baffling?
yourenotevil

Postby crus » Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:09 am

yourenotevil wrote:
crus wrote:No but I definitely prefer punk and metal. Exactly what hardcore is baffles me but the other two are somewhat easier to pinpoint.

Because it's never been all that clear to me what it is. I remember a time when the Dead Kennedys were considered hardcore. I even remember some 80's music mags calling Husker Du and nomeansno hardcore.

A lot of what's now considered hardcore sounds like metal to my ears.
crus

Postby gregpolard » Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:32 am

I like melodic punk/hc

I find that the older I get, the less that I seem to enjoy music that doesn't have at least some kinda hook to it. To me bands like Minor Threat, Bad Brains, our beloved Dag, etc....all HC bands but had great melodies and stuff. That's what I like.
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby yourenotevil » Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:29 am

crus wrote:
yourenotevil wrote:

Because it's never been all that clear to me what it is. I remember a time when the Dead Kennedys were considered hardcore. I even remember some 80's music mags calling Husker Du and nomeansno hardcore.

A lot of what's now considered hardcore sounds like metal to my ears.

i just go with the idea that hc came from punk as it became faster and heavier in 79/80. i think hardcore became a more all encompassing term as each decade passed. anyone who got into hc in the late 90s is going to tell you hatebreed is/were a hc band, while most people on this board would probably disagree.
yourenotevil

Postby yourenotevil » Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:30 am

gregpolard wrote:I like melodic punk/hc

I find that the older I get, the less that I seem to enjoy music that doesn't have at least some kinda hook to it. To me bands like Minor Threat, Bad Brains, our beloved Dag, etc....all HC bands but had great melodies and stuff. That's what I like.

SELL OUT!
yourenotevil

Postby Janelle » Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:29 am

MXV wrote:I believe in all three of these things

Aw I don't know why I love this answer so much but I do and the first thing that came to mind was Buzzcocks "I Believe"!!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYm1Yo5D-bA
When your number's up be what you are
Janelle

Postby JGJR » Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:32 pm

Janelle wrote:
MXV wrote:I believe in all three of these things

Aw I don't know why I love this answer so much but I do and the first thing that came to mind was Buzzcocks "I Believe"!!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYm1Yo5D-bA

I love that song (and the rest of A Different Kind of Tension, too). I remember them playing it when I saw them at Bowery Ballroom in 2000 and the crowd chanting "there is no love in this world...anymore..." along with Pete Shelley during its coda for what felt like at least 7-8 minutes.
JGJR

Postby Michele » Sun Oct 27, 2013 3:16 pm

actually my fave kind is postcore or post-metal, I mean mixed evolutions of the early hc and metal scenes, not the repetion of original codes.
I like when styles mixes and combines in different forms, most apreciated labels Neurot, Profound Lore, Alerta Antifascista, Halo Of Flies, Moment Of Collapse...
"Punker": Damnit, your english is confusing!
"Version Sound": Damnit, your english is amazing!
"Cischord": Damnit, my English is confusing!
Michele

Return to daghouse