Saw Black Flag Last Night.....

Saw Black Flag Last Night.....

Postby Chris Shary » Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:50 am

...and it was not as I had anticipated. I don't plan on talking about the politics of it all or make comparisons. My old buddy, and current bassist for Black Flag, Dave Klein managed to get Greg Cameron (of SWA and October Faction infamy) and myself in on the guest list. Good For You were playing when we arrived and they surly played too long. Not bad but just uninspired. Greg really went off on a song or two so that was cool. Immediately after playing Dave came on out to hang with Greg and I. It was good catching up and gossiping! Taking Black Flag for what they are, they were just fine. Sure there's Gregory Moore, but do I really need to say anything about his performance? Dave held it together quite well, and Greg did whatever he wanted to do. Sometimes it was grand, sometimes just meandering, but it's what I expected. Ron is doing his best, and seemed to really be having fun. Sure there was a "State Fair" vibe to it all, but honestly, it was nice to see Greg play. I had a lot more fun than I imagined I would have. The crowd seemed kinda mellow, an dI managed to get right up front. I love the music Black Flag made in their heyday and I loved hearing them played by some folks who originally recorded that material. I'm really glad I gave going a shot.
Chris Shary

Re: Saw Black Flag Last Night.....

Postby gregpolard » Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:52 am

Did you get to see them back when they were originally playing in the 80's? Just curious.

Your friend Dave played in Screeching Weasel and now Black Flag. Not a bad track record! :)
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby Chris Shary » Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:03 pm

I did not get a chance to see BF in their heyday,I was living in England when they were playing. They did play in London a few times but on school nights (I was in high school at the time), so that was a no go.

Dave also played in Wretch Like Me, and if you haven't heard them yet, drop what you're doing and seek them out.
Chris Shary

Postby gregpolard » Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:05 pm

Chris Shary wrote:I did not get a chance to see BF in their heyday,I was living in England when they were playing. They did play in London a few times but on school nights (I was in high school at the time), so that was a no go.

Dave also played in Wretch Like Me, and if you haven't heard them yet, drop what you're doing and seek them out.

Will do! Random side note but I noticed they're now "out of stock" of the Descendents pencil design t shirt . Glad I ordered mine when I did! :)
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby matt » Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:12 pm

Chris Shary wrote:Dave also played in Wretch Like Me, and if you haven't heard them yet, drop what you're doing and seek them out.

^This.

Chris, have you heard Abe's new band, the Joy Subtraction?
matt
Site Admin

Postby Pffft » Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:14 pm

Dave puts up with a lot of shit from me... I love wretch though
Pffft

Postby matt » Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:16 pm

Pffft wrote:I love wretch though

Yeah, Rich is a good guy. ;)
matt
Site Admin

Postby Pffft » Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:33 pm

matt wrote:
Pffft wrote:I love wretch though

Yeah, Rich is a good guy. ;)

Exactly... the band is meh.

:p
Pffft

Postby Chris Shary » Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:37 pm

Matt I haven't heard Abe's new band! I didn't know he was doing one. Damn he's a killer singer! Have they put anything out?
Chris Shary

Postby matt » Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:44 pm

Chris Shary wrote:Matt I haven't heard Abe's new band! I didn't know he was doing one. Damn he's a killer singer! Have they put anything out?

Yep, one album (I don't have it, but I hear it's good). I've seen them a few times, and they're great. They don't sound like WLM. Check it out.

http://www.joysubtraction.com/
matt
Site Admin

Postby yourenotevil » Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:47 pm

i just kept on thinking how much better this tour could have been with a real drummer. it had a lot of potential, but it all went down the drain IMO.
"What the fuck? Fuck Shit up!"-Chuck Dukowski
yourenotevil

Postby Chris Shary » Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:52 pm

I know this sounds like a cop out, but I straight up ignored Gregory Moore's playing. In doing so I enjoyed myself. Lame I know, but it was a survival tactic!
Chris Shary

Postby gregpolard » Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:56 pm

yourenotevil wrote:i just kept on thinking how much better this tour could have been with a real drummer. it had a lot of potential, but it all went down the drain IMO.

I wonder if Ginn has been keeping tabs on the reviews. Honestly.
gregpolard

Postby yourenotevil » Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:00 pm

gregpolard wrote:
yourenotevil wrote:i just kept on thinking how much better this tour could have been with a real drummer. it had a lot of potential, but it all went down the drain IMO.

i doubt it, or if he did, i doubt he cares. this guy just sounds like his bitch, for all intents and purposes and will do whatever he wants and that seems like the main reason he keeps him around. he can hide his weaknesses on the new BF material in the studio stuff i have heard and GFY plays more to his strengths. the 2003 cat show was universally panned as one of the worst hardcore reunion shows ever, and he still kept moore and even started a new band with mike v. there was a roundtable discussion on punknews.org about how this whole tour was just a vehicle to get GFY in front of a new audience. i think that is a bit far fetched(as i am sure they are raking it in for 30 dollar shows that are selling out in some places), but i bet BF does not release another lp(after this one with ron) or ever do a tour like this again.
yourenotevil

Postby yourenotevil » Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:02 pm

Chris Shary wrote:I know this sounds like a cop out, but I straight up ignored Gregory Moore's playing. In doing so I enjoyed myself. Lame I know, but it was a survival tactic!

i couldn't do it. i was on the far right side, so most of the time i couldn't see ginn playing and had a perfect view of the drummer and bass player at all times.
yourenotevil

Postby Chris Shary » Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:04 pm

Yeah I was right in front of Ginn, so it was easier to do. Oh and Greg knows……they all know.
Chris Shary

Postby gregpolard » Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:06 pm

yourenotevil wrote:
gregpolard wrote:

i doubt it, or if he did, i doubt he cares. this guy just sounds like his bitch, for all intents and purposes and will do whatever he wants and that seems like the main reason he keeps him around. he can hide his weaknesses on the new BF material in the studio stuff i have heard and GFY plays more to his strengths. the 2003 cat show was universally panned as one of the worst hardcore reunion shows ever, and he still kept moore and even started a new band with mike v. there was a roundtable discussion on punknews.org about how this whole tour was just a vehicle to get GFY in front of a new audience. i think that is a bit far fetched(as i am sure they are raking it in for 30 dollar shows that are selling out in some places), but i bet BF does not release another lp(after this one with ron) or ever do a tour like this again.

You bring up a good point. I too have wondered if they will do anything after this album/tour. I say no as well.
gregpolard

Postby yourenotevil » Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:06 pm

Chris Shary wrote:Yeah I was right in front of Ginn, so it was easier to do. Oh and Greg knows……they all know.

they all know the drummer sucks, or they all know people are universally panning this reunion? or both?
yourenotevil

Postby yourenotevil » Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:10 pm

gregpolard wrote:
yourenotevil wrote:
gregpolard wrote:

You bring up a good point. I too have wondered if they will do anything after this album/tour. I say no as well.

i am sure if he can keep ron, he will do the occasional show in texas or canada where ron lives and play the euro and american hc festival circuit if anyone still cares after this summer, but i don't see the band going back into full time action. i am guessing the album will not be all that well received amongst old fans or new ones. i don't see FLAG going on for much more than a year or so too. the initial reaction for both seemed to be lukewarm at best, and i don't think people are going to keep forking over 40 bucks for tickets and 20 bucks for shirts at FLAG shows, not to mention they don't really have a bunch of songs to fall back on anyway.
yourenotevil

Postby Chris Shary » Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:10 pm

They know. They know.
Chris Shary

Postby Chris Shary » Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:12 pm

Interestingly Black Flag played "Can't Decide" which I was unaware that they were doing. It sounded pretty good with Ron!
Chris Shary

Postby yourenotevil » Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:14 pm

Chris Shary wrote:They know. They know.

well, i guess he was never one to sway with public opinion anyway. i would like to hear him say that he thinks moore is even a competent drummer though, since he was such a stickler for it back in the original run of the band and everyone else he has ever worked with(besides migdol)-robo, bill, chuck b., emil, anthony martinez and sim cain-were all a cut above your average punk drummer.
yourenotevil

Postby yourenotevil » Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:16 pm

Chris Shary wrote:Interestingly Black Flag played "Can't Decide" which I was unaware that they were doing. It sounded pretty good with Ron!

that sounded okay, black coffee was definitely not good. but i know there are some nights where those end up being the worst songs of the evening. i said it before, but six pack and tv party back to back were highlights of the night. moore could kind of play those and the audience was the most into it at that point.
yourenotevil

Postby Chris Shary » Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:19 pm

In "TV Party" it was cool to hear Dave shouting out shows like Walking Dead, Breaking Bad and Games of Thrones.
Chris Shary

Postby gregpolard » Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:59 pm

Chris Shary wrote:In "TV Party" it was cool to hear Dave shouting out shows like Walking Dead, Breaking Bad and Games of Thrones.

HAHA! I was wondering if they updated it to current times. Curious what shows Flag has mentioned. I'll know in Sept...
gregpolard

Postby Chris Shary » Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:03 pm

FLAG aren't interested in playing "TV Party". Doubt they will.
Chris Shary

Postby yourenotevil » Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:04 pm

Chris Shary wrote:FLAG aren't interested in playing "TV Party". Doubt they will.

why not? they play six pack.
yourenotevil

Postby gregpolard » Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:07 pm

Chris Shary wrote:FLAG aren't interested in playing "TV Party". Doubt they will.

Honestly, I'm ok with that. It's not one of my favorite BF songs by a long shot. I like it but there's about 25 songs I can say right off the top of my head I'd rather hear.
gregpolard

Postby JGJR » Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:20 pm

gregpolard wrote:

Honestly, I'm ok with that. It's not one of my favorite BF songs by a long shot. I like it but there's about 25 songs I can say right off the top of my head I'd rather hear.

This.
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby Chris Shary » Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:42 pm

I don't think Keith is very fond of "TV Party". It's a goofy song, but everyone seems to enjoy "Louie Louie"…..not sure why.
Chris Shary

Postby jason powell » Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:51 pm

jason powell

Postby yourenotevil » Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:14 pm

jason powell wrote:

sadly, this drum machine does a better job of keeping the beat than moore.
yourenotevil

Postby Chris Shary » Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:21 pm

Is this a theme tune for Sonic the Headgehog?
Chris Shary

Postby johnnotkathi » Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:12 am

That's OK by me...... :bag:
johnnotkathi

Postby gregpolard » Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:58 am

Chris Shary wrote:Is this a theme tune for Sonic the Headgehog?

Haha! Someone should add in the "gold ring" sound effects.
gregpolard

Postby Chris Shary » Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:07 am

Someone like you?
Chris Shary

Postby yourenotevil » Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:12 am

fuck, flag added damaged and i love you to their setlist.

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/flag/2013 ... 9cf95.html

would love to see them do damaged II as well. hard to argue with any songs they are picking here. chris-are there NW dates planned at all?
yourenotevil

Postby gregpolard » Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:13 am

Chris Shary wrote:Someone like you?

If I knew how I totally would. I'm lucky I was able to figure out an avatar. Haha
gregpolard

Postby Chris Shary » Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:26 am

FLAG will be playing Northern California early next year, so I would imagine going up a little higher up would be an easier option. Yeah "I Love You" and "Damaged" were real surprises at PRB! Don't be too surprised to be hearing more "new" songs. Those guys love working anything.
Chris Shary

Postby JGJR » Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:38 pm

Chris Shary wrote:I don't think Keith is very fond of "TV Party". It's a goofy song, but everyone seems to enjoy "Louie Louie"…..not sure why.

Because the version with Dez singing (i.e. the one on the Posh Boy 7") is the best version of that song by anyone ever (even The Kingsmen's great version).
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby gregpolard » Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:18 am

I love the Dez version as well.
gregpolard

Postby MXV » Sat Jul 27, 2013 12:01 pm

Dez was my least favorite Black Flag singer but both versions of "Louie Louie" are amazing.
The Punk Vault: http://www.punkvinyl.com
MXV

Postby WrEtcH » Sat Jul 27, 2013 12:56 pm

Chris Shary wrote:FLAG will be playing Northern California early next year, so I would imagine going up a little higher up would be an easier option..

*whew* I was worrying about trying to take time off if the gig happened this year.
^v^
WrEtcH

Postby gregpolard » Sat Jul 27, 2013 2:10 pm

yourenotevil wrote:fuck, flag added damaged and i love you to their setlist.

would love to see them do damaged II as well. hard to argue with any songs they are picking here. chris-are there NW dates planned at all?

Just noticing this set list now. Holy hell I cannot wait to see them.
gregpolard

Postby WrEtcH » Sat Jul 27, 2013 2:34 pm

gregpolard wrote:
yourenotevil wrote:fuck, flag added damaged and i love you to their setlist.

Just noticing this set list now. Holy hell I cannot wait to see them.

I didn't think that FLAG could out do GV30, but adding dez and the longer set list just blew me away at PRB.
^v^
WrEtcH

Return to daghouse