Old hardcore albums that everyone should own.

Old hardcore albums that everyone should own.

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:49 am

Doing a lot of time revisiting some beloved old albums that packed a punch back in the day. They still stand the test of time. At least they do for ME.

N.O.T.A. LP (Rabid Cat Records)
Adrenalin OD 'The Wacky Hijinx of....' (fast, sloppy shit that raged like no one's business.)
Social Unrest 'Rat in a Maze'
B.G.K. 'Nothing Can Go Wrogn..' LP
Raw Power 'Screams from the Gutter' LP (Italy's finest. This is in my top 5 greatest hardcore albums of all time)
Agnostic Front ''Victim in Pain'. (This is the #1 greatest hC album ever. Then they went speed metal. Roger even told me they were going for an Exodus/Metallica sound before it happened)
Dayglo Abortions 'Feed US.A. Fetus'
Zero Boys 'Vicious Circle' (MANDATORY album. Start to finish, every song is great)
Th' Inbred 'A Family Affair'
23 More Minutes/Logical Nonsense Split LP. (L.N. went on to somewhat bigger things, but I like the 23MM side a lot more.)
Concrete Sox ‎ 'Your Turn Next'.LP (They got a gritty speed/hardcore/metal guitar thing going. I still liked this weird album a lot)
Crucifix 'Dehumanization' LP (Mandatory!)
xxxMidgexxx

Re: Old hardcore albums that everyone should own.

Postby lewdd » Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:03 am

You should start a blog and review these old hardcore albums that everyone should own.

Gotta admit, I have never listened to any of these in their entirety and most of them not even a song. You should bring them over to my house for a (Crucial) BBQ.
lewdd

Postby JGJR » Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:11 am

lewdd wrote:You should start a blog and review these old hardcore albums that everyone should own.

Gotta admit, I have never listened to any of these in their entirety and most of them not even a song. You should bring them over to my house for a (Crucial) BBQ.

I cannot recommend Vicious Circle enough, particularly with your tastes. I love VIP, too, but can't imagine they'd appeal to you given your previous comments on AF.
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby scannest » Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:21 am

JGJR wrote:
lewdd wrote:You should start a blog and review these old hardcore albums that everyone should own.

I cannot recommend Vicious Circle enough, particularly with your tastes. I love VIP, too, but can't imagine they'd appeal to you given your previous comments on AF.

Yes, yes, yes - but which of these records would appeal to me given my previous comments?
"It's got some great chanting on it" - gregpolard.
scannest

Postby Gary » Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:27 am

9/12,used to be 10/12 but I sold one.
Gary

Postby Dinko » Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:35 am

Don't tell me what to do.
The law of average says you will survive.
Dinko

Postby lewdd » Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:07 am

I like some songs on the Agnostic Front and Zero Boys releases. I also love one song on that Th'Inbrd release that Welly was part of the CD version.
lewdd

Postby JGJR » Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:12 am

scannest wrote:
JGJR wrote:

Yes, yes, yes - but which of these records would appeal to me given my previous comments?

:roll:

Probably none except maybe that Zero Boys record; you're not the biggest hardcore fan on here. I only really know 3 of em myself tbh.
JGJR

Postby version sound » Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:40 am

Discharge - Hear Nothing, See Nothing, Say Nothing
DYS - Brotherhood
SSD - Get It Away
Jerry’s Kids - Is This My World
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby gregpolard » Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:33 am

Dag Nasty "Field Day"
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby version sound » Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:45 am

gregpolard wrote:Dag Nasty "Field Day"

Trouble is...
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby gregpolard » Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:04 pm

FLIP
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby scannest » Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:38 pm

Nice...and Midge is gonna blame ME for derailing his thread.

Flip!
scannest

Postby gregpolard » Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:31 pm

Sold!
gregpolard

Postby scannest » Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:40 pm

Polard, I listened to that Beach Slang MPLS cover record because of your IG post. Let it be said that the 2 songs he chose are un-ruin-able.
scannest

Postby JGJR » Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:09 pm

scannest wrote:Polard, I listened to that Beach Slang MPLS cover record because of your IG post. Let it be said that the 2 songs he chose are un-ruin-able.

their mixtapes (EPs of well chosen covers) are similarly great with unruinable songs; they're a lot better with different words. That's my take anyway.
JGJR

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:04 pm

Make me some sort of vegetarian BBQ, Lewdd. Pick me up in Brooklyn, feed me....and then bring me home.
xxxMidgexxx

Postby gregpolard » Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:46 pm

scannest wrote:Polard, I listened to that Beach Slang MPLS cover record because of your IG post. Let it be said that the 2 songs he chose are un-ruin-able.

So are you saying they managed to ruin them or you thought it was good? Haha
gregpolard

Postby scannest » Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:20 am

gregpolard wrote:So are you saying they managed to ruin them or you thought it was good? Haha

"Good" isn't the right word. The songs are so great (AAA is one of my favorite PW songs) that by doing a faithful cover of it he managed to make a BS recording that I can listen to all the way through.
scannest

Postby AssWreckersInc » Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:59 am

Victim In Pain is probably my favorite hardcore LP as well. It really just made an impact. Dave Jones’ drumming was a huge influence on my own playing. He was practicing with them 6 days a week, he’d ride his Kawasaki from his job in Somerset County, NJ straight into Manhattan for practice. The band was so tight. Crucifix was a huge influence on them at this point as well was rings thru the record.

Another must own LP is Mental Abuse’s Streets Of Filth. Syd from MA was the guy that suggested Dave drum for AF to Vinnie. Classic gutter hardcore from Jersey. Syd would smash copies of their limited presses LP at gigs. It’s damn hard to find. The band didn’t care since they made their money selling speed to the audience!
AssWreckersInc

Postby version sound » Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:00 pm

MDC - Millions of Dead Cops
COC - Eye for an Eye
Die Kreuzen - S/T
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby scannest » Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:43 am

I gave a good listen to that Zero Boys record. I like it a lot, but is that really a hardcore record? A couple tunes come close in terms of tempo and chord progressions, but most of it is just really good punk rock.
scannest

Postby JGJR » Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:21 pm

scannest wrote:I gave a good listen to that Zero Boys record. I like it a lot, but is that really a hardcore record? A couple tunes come close in terms of tempo and chord progressions, but most of it is just really good punk rock.

It's definitely on the much more melodic, CA-influenced side of things than the rest of the stuff on that list, but they had purposely gotten speedier/faster/thrashier than their beginnings as they were influenced by the then burgeoning HC scene.
JGJR

Postby JGJR » Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:22 pm

version sound wrote:MDC - Millions of Dead Cops
COC - Eye for an Eye

Absolutely
JGJR

Postby JGJR » Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:23 pm

AssWreckersInc wrote:Victim In Pain is probably my favorite hardcore LP as well. It really just made an impact. Dave Jones’ drumming was a huge influence on my own playing. He was practicing with them 6 days a week, he’d ride his Kawasaki from his job in Somerset County, NJ straight into Manhattan for practice. The band was so tight. Crucifix was a huge influence on them at this point as well was rings thru the record.

Another must own LP is Mental Abuse’s Streets Of Filth. Syd from MA was the guy that suggested Dave drum for AF to Vinnie. Classic gutter hardcore from Jersey. Syd would smash copies of their limited presses LP at gigs. It’s damn hard to find. The band didn’t care since they made their money selling speed to the audience!

That's a really funny story about MA. Someone I know said that Crucifix's Dehumanization is like the Victim in Pain of the West Coast and now I understand why.
JGJR

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:15 pm

JGJR wrote:
scannest wrote:I gave a good listen to that Zero Boys record. I like it a lot, but is that really a hardcore record? A couple tunes come close in terms of tempo and chord progressions, but most of it is just really good punk rock.

It's definitely on the much more melodic, CA-influenced side of things than the rest of the stuff on that list, but they had purposely gotten speedier/faster/thrashier than their beginnings as they were influenced by the then burgeoning HC scene.

I saw them last year in Brooklyn and the pacing IMO was fantastic. fast -slow-medium- fast -fast fast- medium-slow.....Jack Rabid was there bopping up and down. Yeah, it was PACKED and most people wanted to hear 'Vicious Circle' start to finish, but I was glad they mixed it up. Paul had a top tier bunch of players with him and he even did stuff from the Hollywood EP (that everyone hates but I LOVE)

'Vicious Circle' is just one of those records in hardcore/punk history where all the stars were aligned at the time. Terry Howe has passed away and Tufty moved on to other things. Remember that the BASS PLAYING on that album is a HUGE F'N CONTRIBUTING FACTOR to its greatness.

I'm pretty sure Paul knows its not a good thing to expect lightning to strike twice. The other albums are strong, but slower. I even asked him about that recording on 'Vicious Circle' and he said that their intent was to have the engineer A/B with the Germs album.
xxxMidgexxx

Postby version sound » Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:34 pm

JGJR wrote:
COC - Eye for an Eye

Absolutely

I noticed you left out Die Kreuzen. Hmmmm.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby Hal » Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:02 am

JGJR wrote:I even asked him about that recording on 'Vicious Circle' and he said that their intent was to have the engineer A/B with the Germs album.

Whoa. That is definitely interesting. Going to have to listen to them back to back now.
Hal

Postby scannest » Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:34 am

Hal wrote:
JGJR wrote:I even asked him about that recording on 'Vicious Circle' and he said that their intent was to have the engineer A/B with the Germs album.

Whoa. That is definitely interesting. Going to have to listen to them back to back now.

Be careful, Hal - that's a Midge quote, not a JGJR one. You know how bitchy she can get.
scannest

Postby JGJR » Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:42 am

scannest wrote:
Hal wrote:

Be careful, Hal - that's a Midge quote, not a JGJR one. You know how bitchy she can get.

I can't take credit for that; scannest is right. It is true, though. G.I. was their model when they made Vicious Circle and they pointed it out to the engineer beforehand, etc. Didn't realize it was A/B, though.
JGJR

Postby JGJR » Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:42 am

version sound wrote:
JGJR wrote:
COC - Eye for an Eye

Absolutely

Never been a fan; I've tried.
JGJR

Postby JGJR » Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:47 am

xxxMidgexxx wrote:
JGJR wrote:

I saw them last year in Brooklyn and the pacing IMO was fantastic. fast -slow-medium- fast -fast fast- medium-slow.....Jack Rabid was there bopping up and down. Yeah, it was PACKED and most people wanted to hear 'Vicious Circle' start to finish, but I was glad they mixed it up. Paul had a top tier bunch of players with him and he even did stuff from the Hollywood EP (that everyone hates but I LOVE)

'Vicious Circle' is just one of those records in hardcore/punk history where all the stars were aligned at the time. Terry Howe has passed away and Tufty moved on to other things. Remember that the BASS PLAYING on that album is a HUGE F'N CONTRIBUTING FACTOR to its greatness.

I'm pretty sure Paul knows its not a good thing to expect lightning to strike twice. The other albums are strong, but slower. I even asked him about that recording on 'Vicious Circle' and he said that their intent was to have the engineer A/B with the Germs album.

I should've gone to see that. I did see them once in 2013 and it was good, but not great. I thought Night Birds (who opened) were better, honestly. I'll have to revisit that EP. I have another friend who really liked it, too. I remember not liking it all when it came out. Their other albums never moved me, but I didn't spend too much time with them.
JGJR

Postby Hal » Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:50 am

scannest wrote:
Hal wrote:

Doh! Sorry Midge :lol:
Hal

Postby Gary » Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:19 am

JGJR wrote:
version sound wrote:
JGJR wrote:
COC - Eye for an Eye

Absolutely

I used to think I didn't like Die Kruezen,but that was when the only record by them I'd heard was the third one. Someone made me listen to the first one and I was blown away.
Gary

Postby captain2man » Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:17 pm

xxxMidgexxx wrote:I saw them last year in Brooklyn and the pacing IMO was fantastic. fast -slow-medium- fast -fast fast- medium-slow.....Jack Rabid was there bopping up and down. Yeah, it was PACKED and most people wanted to hear 'Vicious Circle' start to finish, but I was glad they mixed it up.

I missed that Brooklyn show, but have seen them play NYC at least twice (CB's & Europa).

Vicious Circle is an undeniable classic.

But I really like the other two full-lengths that no one ever talks about or listens to - Make It Stop & Heimlich Maneuver.

At least half of Make It Stop is SUPER hooky and Beach Blanket Oi Oi Oi is as good of a song as anything on Vicious Circle. I wish they played some of that stuff.
captain2man

Postby AssWreckersInc » Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:36 pm

Still Screaming is an absolute essential.

A bit later but Necracedia - Now I See Clearly is a 90’s classic.
AssWreckersInc

Postby captain2man » Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:52 am

AssWreckersInc wrote:A bit later but Necracedia - Now I See Clearly is a 90’s classic.

Pittsburgh!

Nice choice.
captain2man

Postby JGJR » Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:06 am

captain2man wrote:
AssWreckersInc wrote:A bit later but Necracedia - Now I See Clearly is a 90’s classic.

Pittsburgh!

Nice choice.

Oh, I love this discussion. I never had that Lp, but had the "Fight for Change" 7". GREAT stuff.
JGJR

Postby captain2man » Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:54 am

JGJR wrote:
captain2man wrote:

Pittsburgh!

Nice choice.

Oh, I love this discussion. I never had that Lp, but had the "Fight for Change" 7". GREAT stuff.

First heard 'em on the Lube Job 7" comp (Rust Records) with SFA, Doomwatch & Submachine (the first band I ever toured with).
captain2man

Postby JGJR » Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:15 pm

captain2man wrote:
JGJR wrote:
captain2man wrote:

Pittsburgh!

Nice choice.

First heard 'em on the Lube Job 7" comp (Rust Records) with SFA, Doomwatch & Submachine (the first band I ever toured with).

I don't remember that comp, but sure remember SFA and Submachine. Just those names take me back to like 1991 or something.
JGJR

Postby captain2man » Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:31 pm

JGJR wrote:I don't remember that comp, but sure remember SFA and Submachine. Just those names take me back to like 1991 or something.

Doomwatch were a metal band from Pittsburgh, but made up of guys from the punk scene. Big Jeff, the guitarist, was also in Submachine.

Submachine are still around & still play and occasionally hit the road. I filled in on drums for Greg Mairs on the summer '94 tour with Blanks '77. First tour I ever went on. I was wet behind the ears on that one....but it was an unbelievable experience and started my road addiction.

I'm on the live 7" from 7/7/94 (The Riviera, Chicago, IL) that was part of that VML Live series that Joey Vindictive's label put out.
captain2man

Postby version sound » Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:38 pm

JGJR wrote:
version sound wrote:
JGJR wrote:
COC - Eye for an Eye

Absolutely

That record is amazing. Sit in a room with it on repeat until it clicks. You’ll thank me later.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:43 pm

JGJR wrote:
captain2man wrote:
JGJR wrote:
captain2man wrote:

Pittsburgh!

Nice choice.

I don't remember that comp, but sure remember SFA and Submachine. Just those names take me back to like 1991 or something.

Submachine were great. So we're Aus Rotten. Serpico played with them in Pittsburgh. Excellent stuff like good Discharge
xxxMidgexxx

Postby captain2man » Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:59 am

xxxMidgexxx wrote:Submachine were great. So we're Aus Rotten. Serpico played with them in Pittsburgh. Excellent stuff like good Discharge

On the tour I played with them on, Ajax from Aus Rotten played second guitar. He was seriously one of the funniest people I've ever met (except when he almost tried to shave off my eyebrows while I was sleeping...well - OK - maybe that was pretty funny).

Pittsburgh definitely has a great punk rock history.
captain2man

Postby JGJR » Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:32 am

version sound wrote:That record is amazing. Sit in a room with it on repeat until it clicks. You’ll thank me later.

I'll try again, but I actually prefer the music on October File. I just don't like the vocals.
JGJR

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Fri Mar 22, 2019 5:51 pm

More old classics that are MANDATORY:

Icons of Filth 'Onward Christian Soldiers' (Legendary crust from the UK. Oddball song structures and a singer who is the icing on the cake!)
Jerrys Kids "Is This My World?" (Brutal pissed off Boston CLASSIC. A MUST HAVE. Start to finish, this album gives me a boner!)
Youth Brigade 'Sink with California' (Nuff said!)
Negazione 'Lo Spirito Continua...1986. Another great from Italy. This is fast, chaotic and sounds great on a good stereo.
xxxMidgexxx

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Fri Mar 22, 2019 6:09 pm

MIDGE F LIGHTWEIGHT'S TOP 3 GRINDCORE GREATEST.

1. Napalm Death 'The Peel Sessions' 12".
I know that 'Scum' started the sound, but there is nothing more extreme and absolutely DEVASTATING than their Peel Session.
I don't know what tape format John Peel used, but it sounds like 16 tracks on a 2" tape which is the preferred bandwidth that must have birthed this MONSTER.
All my favorites from the first album and Mentally Murdered EP re-recorded and the sound is thick and brutal enough to tear a house down.
Mick Harris' drum performance and Lee Dorian's vocals send shivers up my spine. In a wonderful way.

2. Brutal Truth 'Need to Control'
Punishing, precise, and extreme as fuck! Listen to 'Black Door Mine' and be afraid...VERY afraid.
And then "Turn Face" and 'Godplayer'. Shit just got REALZ, yo.

3. Nasum 'Shift'
They had a lot of records out but THIS is the money shot. On a full blown balls out war against corruption in government.
They'd have a field day with the Trump Crime family!

Listen to 'Particles - The Engine of Death....' and THE SMALLEST MAN.

THE SMALLEST MAN
You're such a whore!
FUCKING WHORE!

Criticism - can't get to you
You just don't give a shit
It's all for you - nothing for them
They'll never see the difference

With all hope gone there's just one thing to do
Decisions
A simple choice to rid ourselves from the likes of you
Decisions
With all hope gone there's one stand left to make
Decisions
A simple task, if you've got what it takes

Dead but dreaming - your state of mind
If you can call it that
And would you believe - your time is up
Now there are decisions to be made

With all hope gone there's just one thing to do
Decisions
A simple choice to rid ourselves from the likes of you
Decisions
With all hope gone there's one stand left to make
Decisions
A simple task, if you've got what it takes

You're such a whore
Your "loyalty" is a fucking joke
Just pure cash flow
Seems to me what this is all about
You see, to me you're the smallest man to walk this earth
A "failure" from birth
xxxMidgexxx

Postby neutral knieval » Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:53 pm

flag of democracy - shatter your day
indigesti - osservati dall'Inganno
rkl - keep laughing
battalion of saints - second coming
neutral knieval

Postby lewdd » Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:07 pm

neutral knieval wrote:flag of democracy - shatter your day
indigesti - osservati dall'Inganno
rkl - keep laughing
battalion of saints - second coming

Did you see where Pine Hill Records label is releasing the complete discography set of Battalion of Saints? Same label that put out the newest Down by Law 10"
lewdd

Postby Welly » Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:41 am

Last edited by Welly on Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Welly

Next

Return to daghouse