What’s your favorite KISS record?

What’s your favorite KISS record?

Postby version sound » Tue Jan 29, 2019 4:53 pm

I have to go with either Hotter Than Hell, which was pretty much as heavy as they got, or Love Gun, which is the only good KISS record I don’t currently own.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Re: What’s your favorite KISS record?

Postby SamDBL » Tue Jan 29, 2019 4:58 pm

Both of those are great. I'd probably go with Love Gun or Rock And Roll Over, which was the first lp I ever owned.
SamDBL

Postby lewdd » Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:25 pm

Kiss Alive or Love Gun which were the two albums I owned when I was about 10. I don't have any KISS vinyl now. And, I think they are not very good musicians when I listen to some of their early stuff. They made the Ramones look like great musicians.
lewdd

Postby Gary » Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:26 pm

Dressed To Kill

Unmasked has really climbed the rankings of late for me lately
Gary

Postby earthdog70 » Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:41 pm

I will only post my answer if AKissFan comes back :D
"And so it goes."-Kurt Vonnegut
earthdog70

Postby gregpolard » Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:46 pm

lewdd wrote:Kiss Alive or Love Gun which were the two albums I owned when I was about 10. I don't have any KISS vinyl now. And, I think they are not very good musicians when I listen to some of their early stuff. They made the Ramones look like great musicians.

Kindly disagree there. I think they're better than they get credit for.
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby gregpolard » Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:47 pm

Unpopular among diehards (I think?) but mine is "Destroyer". First one on I owned.

Can't really go wrong w/ any of them up to and including "Love Gun".
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby pedro » Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:19 pm

I don’t have a favorite KISS record. I know “the hits” but never really cared about them. Like at all.

But here’s a KISS story. This past Sunday I was standing at the starting line of a race I was running and I overheard some guy talking to some other guy about going to see KISS this summer. He was saying how great they were last year and how he can’t wait to go again. The other guy seemed to be interested and asked some questions (when/where/how much?) Then he asked “is the guy with the tongue still their singer?” The first guy said “Yeah, it’s all four of the original guys!” The thought crossed my mind to say something, but I didn’t. It did get me thinking though. It’s the second drummer who is dead? Right?

It was a tough course, lots of hills, and it was cold and the course was a little icy. I’m pretty happy with the effort.
Hello.
pedro

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:57 pm

1) 'Dressed to Kill'. And for the record, "Rock and Roll all night" is the weakest song on the album'

2) 'Lick it Up'. Perfect album. And the title track is kinda the weakest song on the album.
xxxMidgexxx

Postby version sound » Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:42 pm

gregpolard wrote:Unpopular among diehards (I think?) but mine is "Destroyer".

My sister got Destroyer for her birthday in ‘77 or ‘78. Unfortunately, it was sat on and broken during the party, so I never heard more than the hits until recently, but it’s a damn good record.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby lewdd » Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:06 am

gloves are off says Ace...this tour may implode before it starts
lewdd

Postby scannest » Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:46 am

I feel like you have to take Alive out of the race, because it is a de facto greatest hits record.
Destroyer is their best and probably my favorite. The run from Destroyer to R'n'R Over to Love Gun is pretty terrific.
I've listened to Hotter than Hell way less than any of the classics because my mom wouldn't let me buy it (I was probably 8 or 9 when I asked for it). Buy the time I was buying my own records I wanted nothing to do with KISS.
"It's got some great chanting on it" - gregpolard.
scannest

Postby captain2man » Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:19 am

I admit it - I'm a pretty huge Kiss fan. There are absolutely some stinkers in the catalog.....but I like, overall, the vast majority of their records.

But - I think if I had to pick one to recommend (and I'm not including live albums or greatest hits) - I'd kind of have to say the first one: Strutter, Firehouse, Cold Gin, Deuce, 100,000 Years, Black Diamond....lots of classics right out of the gate.
captain2man

Postby the mean » Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:45 am

I feel like, to a certain extent, you can get away with being shitty people if your band is good.

Then there is Kiss...
the mean

Postby the mean » Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:50 am

pedro wrote:It did get me thinking though. It’s the second drummer who is dead? Right?

Yes. Eric Carr.
the mean

Postby captain2man » Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:33 am

the mean wrote:
pedro wrote:It did get me thinking though. It’s the second drummer who is dead? Right?

Yes. Eric Carr.

and don't forget the third guitarist.

RIP
captain2man

Postby version sound » Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:46 am

Listening to Creatures of the Night for the first time. It’s pretty solid. Much better than the last couple of make-up records in the ‘70s.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby scannest » Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:17 pm

I've said it before and I'll say it again - every self-respecting KISS fans needs to own a copy of KISS: BEHIND THE MASK. They go through every song on every album and each guy rates them. There is no greater bathroom read. Worth it just for the section on Peter's solo album alone.
scannest

Postby pedro » Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:57 pm

captain2man wrote:and don't forget the third guitarist.

RIP

I didn't forget about him. I never knew about him.

RIP, whoever he is.
Hello.
pedro

Postby scannest » Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:17 pm

Anyone see this recent video of a very sad looking Vinnie Vincent, in full ankh makeup, struggling through a set with a bunch of mooks?
You've been warned:

scannest

Postby Gary » Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:03 pm

The Vinnie Vincent fiasco has really been something.
Gary

Postby scannest » Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:10 pm

Gary wrote:The Vinnie Vincent fiasco

Dibs on band name!
scannest

Postby gregpolard » Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:40 pm

scannest wrote:I've said it before and I'll say it again - every self-respecting KISS fans needs to own a copy of KISS: BEHIND THE MASK. They go through every song on every album and each guy rates them. There is no greater bathroom read. Worth it just for the section on Peter's solo album alone.

I remember you saying this before. I need this book. It's on my 2019 reading list.
gregpolard

Postby SamDBL » Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:18 am

gregpolard wrote:
lewdd wrote:Kiss Alive or Love Gun which were the two albums I owned when I was about 10. I don't have any KISS vinyl now. And, I think they are not very good musicians when I listen to some of their early stuff. They made the Ramones look like great musicians.

Kindly disagree there. I think they're better than they get credit for.

This is a good point. They always get slagged for not playing well. Perhaps it’s a contest thing. If you set the bar at some of their peer (Rush, LED Zeppelin) they may comparatively suck. However, for us that dig bands like the Ramones, early Black Flag, the Germs and Negative Approach.. give me a break. They make Kiss sound like Yes in the musical chops department. There is Also the factor that their revolutionary marketing approach (make up image, insane rage shows, comics, licensing, toys, etc) in which they were clearly virtuosos kind of over shadows their musical contributions. I’ve always said their songs were top notch, otherwise they wouldn’t be filling up stadiums of people singing long to every word and hits in instant rotation on classic rock radio 40 years later. The point is that like the Clash, Ramones, or Buzzcocks, they were just as good as they needed to be on their instruments. No more, no less.
SamDBL

Postby scannest » Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:57 am

I always thought Gene and Ace were better than average on their respective instruments (although I now understand that Bob Ezrin wrote that incredible bass line for 'Detroit Rock City'). Ace especially has distinct sound somewhere between Johnny Thunders and a proper metal 'shredder'. Paul is (was?) a pretty terrific singer and a fine rhythm guitarist. And I know people love to hate on Peter's drumming (especially his own bandmates). He may be a crummy hard rock drummer, but doesn't deserve his terrible reputation.
scannest

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:59 am

Poor Vinnie. I saw him with Kiss and they were SPECTACULAR. 1983. Shame how he slid down the slippery slope to sadness......
xxxMidgexxx

Postby lewdd » Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:11 am

SamDBL wrote:The point is that like the Clash, Ramones, or Buzzcocks, they were just as good as they needed to be on their instruments. No more, no less.

Good point. I have seen similar bands whose initial releases sounded basic but when you see them 30-40 years later the musicians have gotten better but the songs became worse.
lewdd

Postby version sound » Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:54 am

lewdd wrote:
SamDBL wrote:The point is that like the Clash, Ramones, or Buzzcocks, they were just as good as they needed to be on their instruments. No more, no less.

Good point. I have seen similar bands whose initial releases sounded basic but when you see them 30-40 years later the musicians have gotten better but the songs became worse.

When KISS we’re starting out, they were aspiring to be the next New York Dolls, so if anything, they were more competent as players than they needed to be.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby lewdd » Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:46 pm

I have always admired the Ramones for never overcomplicating their sound and sticking true to simplicity. Even as they aged and I'm sure became better musicians, you did have unnecessary solos or other more complicated chords slipping into their music.
lewdd

Postby JGJR » Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:00 pm

gregpolard wrote:Unpopular among diehards (I think?) but mine is "Destroyer". First one on I owned.

Can't really go wrong w/ any of them up to and including "Love Gun".

I think you're right about Destroyer even though it's one of their most popular albums; the biggest KISS fan I know (he's WAY deep into the '80s/'90s and beyond stuff even more than you are, I think) hates that record. I love it, but I'm nowhere near as hardcore of a fan. You sort of have to take it for what it is; KISS at their most comic, overblown and produced up to that point. It also has great songs, but if your preference is for the rawer albums before and after it, I could see that.

Also, I think some of the '80s stuff like Creatures of the Night (a great record) and even parts of Lick It Up are heavier than say, Hotter than Hell. It's the only one of the classic run (which is up to Love Gun, I think) I've never been able to get into. I kinda wish I still had the copy I gave to you, but glad it went to a good home.

I currently only own Destroyer ('85 pressing on Mercury) on vinyl and would love some of the others since it isn't even my favorite. To answer the question, 3-way tie between the debut, Dressed to Kill and Rock and Roll Over (so underrated).

This is timely. I've listened to the s/t and Destroyer (a few times) this week and want to revisit the '70s and early '80s catalog.
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby JGJR » Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:04 pm

scannest wrote:I feel like you have to take Alive out of the race, because it is a de facto greatest hits record.

This compilation truly covers most of the KISS I really need up to '80, though it has some glaring omissions.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greatest_Kiss
JGJR

Postby JGJR » Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:06 pm

version sound wrote:Listening to Creatures of the Night for the first time. It’s pretty solid. Much better than the last couple of make-up records in the ‘70s.

I went through the catalog (up to '82) about 10 years ago and that was my exact impression. I feel like I should like Dynasty and especially Unmasked more than I do, though. I should revisit. Dynasty has one of my favorite songs of theirs ("Sure Know Something").
JGJR

Postby JGJR » Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:10 pm

lewdd wrote:I have always admired the Ramones for never overcomplicating their sound and sticking true to simplicity. Even as they aged and I'm sure became better musicians, you did have unnecessary solos or other more complicated chords slipping into their music.

Yeah and the solos were always played by other people (Ed Stasium, Jean Beavoir, Daniel Rey, etc.). :-)

With that said, I don't really care that much about how good they are on their instruments (this goes for any band) or if they don't play everything on their own records or whatever. It's all about the songs. Always. Sam is correct here.
JGJR

Postby SamDBL » Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:54 pm

Seems like a good time to mention that the Paul Lynde Halloween special was posted up on Amazon Prime. Amazing on several levels.
SamDBL

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:44 pm

The big Vinnie Vincent Comeback has ....well........been cancelled.

That was quick.

I got nothing else.
xxxMidgexxx

Postby Jastreb_J21 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:30 am

Originality has been left at the door in my case, because my favourite is by far Dressed to Kill.
Jastreb_J21

Postby FormerLurker » Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:44 pm

People actually listen to this stuff?
FormerLurker

Postby version sound » Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:19 pm

FormerLurker wrote:People actually listen to this stuff?

To varying degrees. KISS seem to be a common denominator for punx of a certain age? They were my first love. I do listen to them, but it’s almost exclusively their 70s stuff and it’s 90% nostalgia based. It helps that my daughter likes them.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby xxxHunterxxx » Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:57 pm

The Alive box set.
World’s biggest Snakes fan.
xxxHunterxxx

Postby gregpolard » Fri Mar 01, 2019 4:40 pm

scannest wrote:I've said it before and I'll say it again - every self-respecting KISS fans needs to own a copy of KISS: BEHIND THE MASK. They go through every song on every album and each guy rates them. There is no greater bathroom read. Worth it just for the section on Peter's solo album alone.

Just got it today in the mail, sent to me by a friend. Can't' wait to dig in.
gregpolard

Postby scannest » Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:33 am

I eagerly await your complete and thoughtful analysis.
scannest

Postby version sound » Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:20 am

I’m pretty sure I read that book, but I have zero memory of it. Maybe I should read it again.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby the mean » Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:16 am

Is this a trick question? Band is, and has always been, garbage.
the mean

Postby version sound » Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:28 am

the mean wrote:Is this a trick question? Band is, and has always been, garbage.

Who are you going to shit on next, Ted Nugent? Get the fuck out of here.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby gregpolard » Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:50 pm

Anyone here listen to Pod of Thunder? Scannest, I feel like you'd get a kick out of it. They analyze every single Kiss song. The hosts are not pretentious at all, kinda like Mojack. Some of their opinions are a bit whack, but it's a fun listen. The episodes with Chris Jericho on it are funny too.
gregpolard

Postby Mark T. » Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:00 pm

After all this KISS talk and just finishing up Paul Stanley's book, I decided it was time to see KISS again and went this weekend. It was quite a spectacular event, they literally did everything they could have done at one time.

My parents weren't cool enough to take me when I wanted to go see them when I was in grade school, so I didn't see my first show until 1983, last make-up tour with Eric Carr and Vinnie Vincent. How odd after all these years and deciding to go again and now touring with Eric Singer and Tommy Thayer. Not sure why I didn't make it to any of the reunion shows to catch Peter and Ace.

The crowd was older, but definitely interesting. I had some really good seats on the floor. Could feel all the heat from the pyro. There was in my opinion only one song dud, something off Sonic Boom. My preference in albums is everything up to Love Gun. Putting all the theatrics aside, KISS is really a great old time rock n roll band. Many of their songs, especially the older ones really rock, with classic guitar solos and jam sessions.

Pricey tickets, but what isn't today. I recommend checking them out.

Final thoughts: No doubt, in my mind, KISS will continue well after Paul and Gene bow out. I see KISS setting up, at minimum, a Las Vegas residence and following a path similar to Blue Man Group.
Projeckt Daghouse:
PDIV - Thousand Days - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVX7w2iNIfw
Mark T.

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:28 pm

the mean wrote:Is this a trick question? Band is, and has always been, garbage.

Reason #4,211 why very few people tolerate you. I should get some kind of award.
xxxMidgexxx

Postby gregpolard » Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:22 am

Mark T. wrote:After all this KISS talk and just finishing up Paul Stanley's book, I decided it was time to see KISS again and went this weekend. It was quite a spectacular event, they literally did everything they could have done at one time.

My parents weren't cool enough to take me when I wanted to go see them when I was in grade school, so I didn't see my first show until 1983, last make-up tour with Eric Carr and Vinnie Vincent. How odd after all these years and deciding to go again and now touring with Eric Singer and Tommy Thayer. Not sure why I didn't make it to any of the reunion shows to catch Peter and Ace.

The crowd was older, but definitely interesting. I had some really good seats on the floor. Could feel all the heat from the pyro. There was in my opinion only one song dud, something off Sonic Boom. My preference in albums is everything up to Love Gun. Putting all the theatrics aside, KISS is really a great old time rock n roll band. Many of their songs, especially the older ones really rock, with classic guitar solos and jam sessions.

Pricey tickets, but what isn't today. I recommend checking them out.

Final thoughts: No doubt, in my mind, KISS will continue well after Paul and Gene bow out. I see KISS setting up, at minimum, a Las Vegas residence and following a path similar to Blue Man Group.

I'm pumped. I'm going next Friday. I think they do only two songs post 1970's - "Say Yeah" from Sonic Boom (2009) and "Psycho Circus" from Psycho Circus (1998).
gregpolard

Postby neutral knieval » Wed Mar 27, 2019 5:09 pm

ace frehleys solo album.
neutral knieval

Postby lewdd » Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:00 pm

KISSWORLD

https://www.discogs.com/Kiss-Kissworld- ... e/13412726

What do you diehards think? Does it have the best songs on it.
lewdd

Next

Return to daghouse