Escape from Tomorrow

Escape from Tomorrow

Postby NotBaker » Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:54 pm

I saw this in a theater tonight. For those who haven't heard of it, it's a movie shot guerrilla-style/without permission in Disney World and Disney Land. I enjoyed the movie. It was surreal and pretty unique, and at times hard to believe you're watching stuff that was filmed within the parks. I have been to Disney World twice with my kids. I enjoyed my first trip with my kids a lot more than my second. I don't get adults who would go there without kids.
NotBaker

Re: Escape from Tomorrow

Postby clash77 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:37 pm

Escape from New York..Donald Pleasence..Lee Van Cleef..Ernest Borgnine..All star cast!!!! Snake is a bad ass!!!!
clash77

Postby JGJR » Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:31 am

NotBaker wrote:I don't get adults who would go there without kids.

This. I have a feeling that we may go there at some point (I went to Disney World when I was 7 and then again when I was 12 and have not been back since then) since we have a kid now, but I certainly wouldn't go there on my own as I can think of a million other places I'd rather go to!
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby yourenotevil » Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:06 am

JGJR wrote:
NotBaker wrote:I don't get adults who would go there without kids.

This. I have a feeling that we may go there at some point (I went to Disney World when I was 7 and then again when I was 12 and have not been back since then) since we have a kid now, but I certainly wouldn't go there on my own as I can think of a million other places I'd rather go to!

it was pretty common for high school seniors and juniors to go there(they would close the park the public after 8 or something and a lot of high schools would send their class their for the end of school), and i knew a fair amount of people in the their 20s who would go as couples or with friends. maybe it was more of a common thing to do in CA since it wasn't far away or as big of a deal out here, since i must have gone their ten times by the time i was out of junior high. i don't think i would want to go back there today though, except to see the haunted mansion or go oon space mountain one more time. after high school, i only went to a place like magic mountain or something with real roller coasters.
"What the fuck? Fuck Shit up!"-Chuck Dukowski
yourenotevil

Postby FlexMyHead » Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:21 am

I've taken my niece and nephew several times and it's always been a lot of fun, most of my enjoyment is gained by watching them enjoy it, but also it's fun for me (in an "arrested development- peter-pan in bondage-pants" kinda way). While there are large sweaty crowds of people everywhere, hour long lines, over-priced merchandise crammed down your throat every two steps and so forth, there also is an (artificial) feeling that the parks are a safe, fun place with adventure lurking around every corner. As an adult, I've gone to Epcot to go drinking/eating at some of the restaurants (for example the German place has pretty legit food, beer, music and atmosphere) and will hop on a ride or two, but I live in Floriduh and have friends who can get me in free, so that kinda changes things.

I do want to go one day by myself and just shoot a bunch of photos of random things. Here are some photos I've taken with my nephew and niece.

Image Image
ImageImage
FlexMyHead

Postby FlexMyHead » Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:25 am

Oh, about the movie. I heard it was "a family's visit turns into a nightmare". Does that sum it up? What would you compare it to?
FlexMyHead

Postby scannest » Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:53 am

My wife and I have zero interest in visiting the Disney parks, so we consider ourselves very lucky that our son seems to actively dislike Mickey Mouse and crew. From the time he was around 5 y.o. he's referred to everything Disney as being "for babies" (I love that a 5 year old doesn't consider himself in that category). I suspect it's because his female cousin, all of 10 months younger than him, has always loved Disney. That said, my brother-in-law can't wait for Milo to show some interest in amusement park rides so he can take him to Disney/Universal.

As far as the movie goes, it looks like an interesting conceit but I think the whole "look at the evil that lurks beneath the surface of all this wholesomeness" is kinda played out. Didn't David Lynch have the final say on this stuff years ago?
"It's got some great chanting on it" - gregpolard.
scannest

Postby NotBaker » Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:32 am

FlexMyHead wrote:Oh, about the movie. I heard it was "a family's visit turns into a nightmare". Does that sum it up? What would you compare it to?

Yeah - that's pretty much it. Mostly focused on the father's slow mental breakdown. I think I'd compare it to lots of other low-budget, B/W, indie films with loose scripts. But like I said, even though the plot isn't super-tight and it's not a "great" movie by any stretch, it's really something to see because so many of the scenes were shot within the parks.
NotBaker

Postby earthdog70 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:16 pm

Escape From L.A.-nowhere near as good as Escape From New York.

I should know since I own it on DVD :bag:
"And so it goes."-Kurt Vonnegut
earthdog70

Return to daghouse