aloud to heaven
and i knelt
on all six legs
and vowed a vow
of vengeance
obik

Re: Onion Rings v. French Fries

Postby gregpolard » Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:43 pm

Overall I voted for french fries. More versatile (old bay fries, cheese fries, pizza fries, etc) HOWEVER, sometimes when a place has really good onion rings those trump any french fries you'll ever eat.
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby NotBaker » Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:46 pm

Onion Rings all the way. Childe Harold (RIP) in DC used to have some great onion rings, and I'd always sub out my fries for them.
NotBaker

Postby version sound » Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:48 am

gregpolard wrote:Overall I voted for french fries. More versatile (old bay fries, cheese fries, pizza fries, etc) HOWEVER, sometimes when a place has really good onion rings those trump any french fries you'll ever eat.

I strongly disagree. I think even the worst onion rings are better than all but the best fries.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby gregpolard » Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:17 am

version sound wrote:
gregpolard wrote:Overall I voted for french fries. More versatile (old bay fries, cheese fries, pizza fries, etc) HOWEVER, sometimes when a place has really good onion rings those trump any french fries you'll ever eat.

I strongly disagree. I think even the worst onion rings are better than all but the best fries.

That is pure insanity.
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby yourenotevil » Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:20 am

gregpolard wrote:
version sound wrote:

That is pure insanity.

i guess both have to be good. there are many places that have cold ass soggy onion rings, and i would take bad fries over that. i think the last time i had jack in the crack onion rings it was something similar to that. that said, i gave up fast food so i wouldn't have either now anyway.
"What the fuck? Fuck Shit up!"-Chuck Dukowski
yourenotevil

Postby jason powell » Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:25 am

There are a lot of bad fries out there, but like Greg said, I do think fries generally go with stuff better. Plus, I feel like a pig when I'm done scarfing down onion rings. Now, if all I was having was fries or onion rings and no meal, or if I was famished, it would probably be onion rings.

Also, homemade french fries usually turn out way better than homemade onion rings.
jason powell

Postby scannest » Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:37 am

version sound wrote:I strongly disagree. I think even the worst onion rings are better than all but the best fries.

Alright, Captain Contrary.
Fact is, it is MUCH easier to find decent french fries than it is to find decent onion rings. This makes sense as making a decent onion ring is a much more complicated, finicky process than making a decent french fry.
"It's got some great chanting on it" - gregpolard.
scannest

Postby version sound » Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:54 am

I'm just not that into french fries. I like them, but my favorite fries are probably McDonald's fries, so I obviously don't have a sophisticated palate. I'm not a huge fan of big ass steak fries, so most fancy fries don't thrill me.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby scannest » Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:12 am

version sound wrote:I'm just not that into french fries. I like them, but my favorite fries are probably McDonald's fries, so I obviously don't have a sophisticated palate.

Ah, but McDonald's fries are on the short list of mass-produced products that even serious foodies enjoy, like Hellman's Mayonnaise.
scannest

Postby gregpolard » Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:19 am

version sound wrote:I'm just not that into french fries. I like them, but my favorite fries are probably McDonald's fries, so I obviously don't have a sophisticated palate. I'm not a huge fan of big ass steak fries, so most fancy fries don't thrill me.

I always thought they had the best fast food fries, but since they aren't vegetarian I haven't had them in years.
gregpolard

Postby version sound » Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:22 am

gregpolard wrote:
version sound wrote:I'm just not that into french fries. I like them, but my favorite fries are probably McDonald's fries, so I obviously don't have a sophisticated palate. I'm not a huge fan of big ass steak fries, so most fancy fries don't thrill me.

I always thought they had the best fast food fries, but since they aren't vegetarian I haven't had them in years.

I think they got rid of the beef tallow, but don't quote me on that.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby version sound » Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:25 am

Oh yeah, Five Guys has pretty good fries too. Those two examples are really the only ones I can think of. Not that I don't like other fries, but I don't crave them.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby JGJR » Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:30 am

scannest wrote:
version sound wrote:I'm just not that into french fries. I like them, but my favorite fries are probably McDonald's fries, so I obviously don't have a sophisticated palate.

Ah, but McDonald's fries are on the short list of mass-produced products that even serious foodies enjoy, like Hellman's Mayonnaise.

Very true on both counts. I would love some pelmeini (Russian ravioli that's frozen and then just cooked over boiling water; it is a favorite comfort food of mine since I was a kid) with some Hellman's right now! Apparently, there is an artisanal mayonnaise store in the Brooklyn neighborhood where my sister-in-law lives, but I just thought it was one of those foods that probably couldn't or shouldn't be duplicated in a home-made manner.
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby pedro » Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:35 am

version sound wrote:I think they got rid of the beef tallow, but don't quote me on that.

They didn't. And I just quoted you on that.

A great onion ring is better than great french fries. Average french fries are much better than average onion rings. A decade ago I was driving around Texas at 4 am and had a serious craving for onion rings. I found them at Burger King. I haven't had fast food onion rings since.

obik wrote:Write in vote: Ashurbanipal.

Have you ever had Ashurbanipal with cheese? Delicious!
Hello.
pedro

Postby scannest » Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:36 am

JGJR wrote:I just thought it was one of those foods that probably couldn't or shouldn't be duplicated in a home-made manner.

Mayo is actually pretty easy to make at home in large quantities. In small quantities it involves a LOT of whisking which can be a pain the ass, but if you're making a big batch you can use a food processor and make really good mayo in no time at all. Or just buy Hellman's which is excellent and takes no effort. I love to make seemingly fancy sauces at home to impress people. They usually consist of Hellman's doctored with various ingredients (hot sauce, garlic, chopped pickles, etc.)
scannest

Postby pedro » Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:37 am

scannest wrote:Mayo is actually the most disgusting thing anyone has ever referred to as "food".
Hello.
pedro

Postby NotBaker » Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:38 am

That's the good thing about onion rings, too. I love good batter-fried rings, but tend to dislike ones that are too bread-crumby. I also like White Castle onion rings though too, which are basically batter-fried onion mash.

I tend to like steak fries. Shoestring fries are the worst. They shouldn't even be considered fries.
NotBaker

Postby JGJR » Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:38 am

scannest wrote:
JGJR wrote:I just thought it was one of those foods that probably couldn't or shouldn't be duplicated in a home-made manner.

Mayo is actually pretty easy to make at home in large quantities. In small quantities it involves a LOT of whisking which can be a pain the ass, but if you're making a big batch you can use a food processor and make really good mayo in no time at all. Or just buy Hellman's which is excellent and takes no effort. I love to make seemingly fancy sauces at home to impress people. They usually consist of Hellman's doctored with various ingredients (hot sauce, garlic, chopped pickles, etc.)

I've never tried it, but yeah buying Hellman's seems a lot easier. Then again, when it comes to cooking, I am lazy. :lol:
JGJR

Postby NotBaker » Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:39 am

pedro wrote:
scannest wrote:Mayo is actually the most disgusting thing anyone has ever referred to as "food".

How can you be so right about mayo, and so wrong about bananas?
NotBaker

Postby scannest » Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:41 am

pedro wrote:A great onion ring is better than great french fries. Average french fries are much better than average onion rings.

The problem with most onion rings is that onions are so full of water that you take a bite and you're left with a slice of onion with some breading/coating on the side. When they stay together, they're awesome but it takes some pretty serious cooking mojo to make that happen. Or you buy fast food ones which manage to stay together by virtually removing all traces of onion from the process.
scannest

Postby JGJR » Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:41 am

NotBaker wrote:
pedro wrote:

How can you be so right about mayo, and so wrong about bananas?

What are you views on bananas, pedro? I really disliked them as a kid for whatever silly reason, but grew to really like them as an adult.
JGJR

Postby NotBaker » Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:44 am

JGJR wrote: really disliked them as a kid for whatever silly reason

The immutable truth that bananas are disgusting is not silly reason.
NotBaker

Postby scannest » Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:45 am

I don't get the whole Mayo-phobic thing. It's egg yolk, some acid and oil. Seriously, that's it. And it's delicious.
scannest

Postby scannest » Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:46 am

pedro wrote:

See, someone's gonna see this and think I actually said that. That's not nice.
scannest

Postby JGJR » Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:49 am

scannest wrote:I don't get the whole Mayo-phobic thing. It's egg yolk, some acid and oil. Seriously, that's it. And it's delicious.

Yep
JGJR

Postby NotBaker » Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:49 am

scannest wrote:I don't get the whole Mayo-phobic thing. It's egg yolk, some acid and oil. Seriously, that's it. And it's delicious.

There's no phobia, just pure hate. And sour cream and cream cheese can hit the road too.
NotBaker

Postby pedro » Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:59 am

pedro's notes on NotBaker.

1. Runner. Check.
2. Moving Targets. Check.
3. Knows who Tip O'Neill is/was. Check.
4. Hates mayo, sour cream and cream cheese. Check.
5. Hates bananas. LOSER!!!!!!!!!
Hello.
pedro

Postby NotBaker » Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:19 am

I'm not saying that pedro supports evil governments and corrupt dictatorships, but some such countries have been referred to as banana republics. I think the evidence speaks for itself. I for one will enjoy a nice, crispy, U-S-A apple instead.
NotBaker

Postby JGJR » Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:10 am

NotBaker wrote:

There's no phobia, just pure hate. And sour cream and cream cheese can hit the road too.

Pure insanity.
JGJR

Postby JGJR » Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:13 am

pedro wrote:3. Knows who Tip O'Neill is/was. Check.

My dear pedro,
If that is a reference to me mistaking him for Edwin Meese the other day, well that's just not very nice. You wouldn't like it if I pointed out every time you made a mistake, now would you? Or are you claiming to be perfect? :lol:

P.S. You should broaden your palette.
JGJR

Postby pedro » Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:20 am

JGJR wrote:
pedro wrote:3. Knows who Tip O'Neill is/was. Check.

My dear pedro,
If that is a reference to me mistaking him for Edwin Meese the other day, well that's just not very nice. You wouldn't like it if I pointed out every time you made a mistake, now would you? Or are you claiming to be perfect? :lol:

P.S. You should broaden your palette.

1. If you mistook Tip O'Neill for Edwin Meese on this board, I have yet to see it.
2. You point out everyone's mistakes all the time.

P.S.: You should stop being so sensitive.
Hello.
pedro

Postby obik » Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:44 am

scannest wrote:It's egg yolk, some acid and oil. Seriously, that's it.

Correct.

And it's delicious.

Incorrect.
and i cried
aloud to heaven
and i knelt
on all six legs
and vowed a vow
of vengeance
obik

Postby obik » Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:45 am

pedro wrote:
obik wrote:Write in vote: Ashurbanipal.

Have you ever had Ashurbanipal with cheese? Delicious!

That ain't Halal.
and i cried
aloud to heaven
and i knelt
on all six legs
and vowed a vow
of vengeance
obik

Postby yourenotevil » Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:11 pm

mayo is good on certain sandwiches. on burgers, no way. bananas are fucking good too.
"What the fuck? Fuck Shit up!"-Chuck Dukowski
yourenotevil

Postby JGJR » Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:25 pm

pedro wrote:1. If you mistook Tip O'Neill for Edwin Meese on this board, I have yet to see it.

So why'd you bring it up then?
JGJR

Postby pedro » Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:34 pm

Because NotBaker posted the picture of a punk rock Tip O'Neill in response to my belief that "punk rock is local." NotBaker knew where my line came from. It had nothing to do with you.

Stop being so paranoid.
Hello.
pedro

Postby JGJR » Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:42 pm

pedro wrote:Because NotBaker posted the picture of a punk rock Tip O'Neill in response to my belief that "punk rock is local." NotBaker knew where my line came from. It had nothing to do with you.

Stop being so paranoid.

No. :lol:

In all seriousness, I was not being paranoid. I was genuinely wondering why you brought it up. I didn't get the context. Oh well. Carry on.
JGJR

Postby earthdog70 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:14 pm

I like both, but fries come into play much more often.

There is a local sub place here that makes great onion rings, I get them with a chicken salad sub.

Stop by and I will take you ;)
"And so it goes."-Kurt Vonnegut
earthdog70

Postby gregpolard » Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:14 am

IIRC Red Robin has really good onion rings. They come out stacked up like a tower.

Their fries are good too, but they're the thicker kind. Which brings me to a sub-poll of this thread:

Steak fries or shoestring?
gregpolard

Postby version sound » Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:58 am

gregpolard wrote:IIRC Red Robin has really good onion rings. They come out stacked up like a tower.

Their fries are good too, but they're the thicker kind. Which brings me to a sub-poll of this thread:

Steak fries or shoestring?

I prefer McD's/school cafeteria thickness, which I feel falls somewhere between the two.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby scannest » Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:57 am

version sound wrote:[I prefer McD's/school cafeteria thickness, which I feel falls somewhere between the two.

See, I think McD style fries qualify as shoestring. Anything much thinner falls into the category of 'potato sticks' and that just ain't cutting it.
As far as something in between, I'd say "pomme frites" or "Belgian" style fries are my favorites, skin intact, with salt (gotta have salt) and garlic mayo.

Oh yeah, think I'm taking my son here for dinner tonight:
http://www.pommesfrites.ws/
scannest

Postby gregpolard » Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:00 am

scannest wrote:
version sound wrote:[I prefer McD's/school cafeteria thickness, which I feel falls somewhere between the two.

See, I think McD style fries qualify as shoestring. Anything much thinner falls into the category of 'potato sticks' and that just ain't cutting it.
As far as something in between, I'd say "pomme frites" or "Belgian" style fries are my favorites, skin intact, with salt (gotta have salt) and garlic mayo.

Oh. Man. That place sounds AWESOME.
gregpolard

Postby JGJR » Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:05 pm

scannest wrote:

Thank you for basically stating my own french fry preference so I wouldn't have to do it. Pommes frites should have been a choice, but yeah shoestring for sure here. Also, do you know how long it's been open? I remember a similar (maybe the same) place being at that location on 2nd Ave in the late '90s and early '00s. I have fond memories of going there or on the same block to get falafels at Babaghanoush (was the name of the place) for cheap when I was visiting a friend there who lived around the corner.

This comment also inspired me to do some quick Googling and I am happy that Paul's is still there on that block, too. I don't think I've ever eaten there, though, but my friend would always talk it up.

http://www.thegothampalate.com/2011/01/ ... 99s-place/
JGJR

Postby version sound » Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:37 pm

scannest wrote:As far as something in between, I'd say "pomme frites" or "Belgian" style fries are my favorites, skin intact, with salt (gotta have salt) and garlic mayo.

If all fries were like that, my answer might be different.

I say without salt or ketchup or fancy dips, a plain onion ring beats a plain fry just about any day. French fries are often just delivery vehicles for ketchup and salt.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby version sound » Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:38 pm

JGJR wrote:Pommes frites should have been a choice

They were. That choice is "french fries".
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby scannest » Sat Oct 19, 2013 8:04 am

version sound wrote:
JGJR wrote:Pommes frites should have been a choice

They were. That choice is "french fries".

I'm using the phrase to describe a type of french fry. And I love the french word(s) for potato - pomme de terre, or literally "apple of the earth". They crack me up.
scannest

Postby version sound » Sat Oct 19, 2013 8:38 am

Oh, I know. I'm just pointing out the fact that listing every kind of frie as a poll option would be a bit ridiculous.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby obik » Sat Oct 19, 2013 1:01 pm

version sound wrote:Oh, I know. I'm just pointing out the fact that listing every kind of frie as a poll option would be a bit ridiculous.

And that would never do.
and i cried
aloud to heaven
and i knelt
on all six legs
and vowed a vow
of vengeance
obik

Next

Return to daghouse