Filmage - East Coast screenings

Filmage - East Coast screenings

Postby JGJR » Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:47 pm

I saw it here in Philly this past Sunday and am also going to see the Trenton screening next month with Greg. I won't give anything away except that I really enjoyed it and other than a few omissions, it satisfied and exceeded my pretty high expectations.
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Re: Filmage - East Coast screenings

Postby john stabb » Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:51 am

I'm incredibly anxious to see this doc :!: Biggest question: did my hair look bad-ha :!: :lol: I laugh because I looked like f'n Andy Warhol that day but at least Cat-Astrophe & the Satanic Disco Machine were by my side. "Man, that John Stabb looks freaky in the doc!" I hate the cliche/stereotype but seriously, it was a very bad hair day & so hot/humid that day. I hope my quotes were amusing, though.
GI is a group of grown men who enjoy torturing each other and the crowd.
john stabb

Postby gregpolard » Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:06 am

Stabb had no idea you were in it! Bonus (cup?)!!!
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby JGJR » Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:28 am

john stabb wrote:I'm incredibly anxious to see this doc :!: Biggest question: did my hair look bad-ha :!: :lol: I laugh because I looked like f'n Andy Warhol that day but at least Cat-Astrophe & the Satanic Disco Machine were by my side. "Man, that John Stabb looks freaky in the doc!" I hate the cliche/stereotype but seriously, it was a very bad hair day & so hot/humid that day. I hope my quotes were amusing, though.

Hmm, I don't remember seeing you in the version that screened here this past Sunday (would've been awesome or maybe I'm just not remembering, but I think I would have!). You'll be in the DVD version since there is apparently a lot of unused bonus footage.
JGJR

Postby gregpolard » Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:18 am

JGJR wrote:
john stabb wrote:I'm incredibly anxious to see this doc :!: Biggest question: did my hair look bad-ha :!: :lol: I laugh because I looked like f'n Andy Warhol that day but at least Cat-Astrophe & the Satanic Disco Machine were by my side. "Man, that John Stabb looks freaky in the doc!" I hate the cliche/stereotype but seriously, it was a very bad hair day & so hot/humid that day. I hope my quotes were amusing, though.

Hmm, I don't remember seeing you in the version that screened here this past Sunday (would've been awesome or maybe I'm just not remembering, but I think I would have!). You'll be in the DVD version since there is apparently a lot of unused bonus footage.

I can't wait to see all the bonus footage too, and I haven't even seen the regular film yet! I also can't wait to eat some Trenton style tomato pie....
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby yourenotevil » Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:45 am

it's playing here at like 1pm or something, not sure if i will make it.
"What the fuck? Fuck Shit up!"-Chuck Dukowski
yourenotevil

Postby Chris Shary » Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:01 am

John I hate to tell you but the regular version is sans the Avenging Disco Godfather. As noted there is a mountain of BONUS footage, and I know that has been a huge project in and of itself that the guys are trying to sort out. Rest assured they want to make that portion for us hardcore nerds to geek out on. They are still compiling material for the bonus section, and have jokingly mentioned a book (although I think that may not be too much of a joke in the future). Since FILMAGE is getting around quite a bit you should all have a change to see it on the big screen before it gets a DVD release. I hope so at least. It is pretty awesome sitting with like minded individuals watching the doc.
Chris Shary

Postby JGJR » Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:04 am

Chris Shary wrote:John I hate to tell you but the regular version is sans the Avenging Disco Godfather. As noted there is a mountain of BONUS footage, and I know that has been a huge project in and of itself that the guys are trying to sort out. Rest assured they want to make that portion for us hardcore nerds to geek out on. They are still compiling material for the bonus section, and have jokingly mentioned a book (although I think that may not be too much of a joke in the future). Since FILMAGE is getting around quite a bit you should all have a change to see it on the big screen before it gets a DVD release. I hope so at least. It is pretty awesome sitting with like minded individuals watching the doc.

Ah OK, so my memory wasn't faulty there. That would have been embarrassing, especially after seeing it just a few days ago, but again I surely would've remembered seeing our own stabb up on the big screen!
JGJR

Postby JGJR » Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:05 am

And just a side note, it was cool to see you in the film, Chris. We've never met, but it's nice to see another Dag board regular in the film!
JGJR

Postby earthdog70 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:37 am

Crap-Boston area one already sold out. Would have totally gone to this in the theatre. Oh well-I will wait for the DVD. :cry:
"And so it goes."-Kurt Vonnegut
earthdog70

Postby Chris Shary » Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:51 am

Eathdog, just go and tell em Chris Shary sent you, maybe they'll squeeze you in. I know I'd try it!
Chris Shary

Postby Chris Shary » Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:54 am

Thanks JGJR. It is pretty cool being involved in the film. I have been getting weird spottings as well. People who recognize me have just been striking up conversations. It's kinda cool. I'm always happy to talk to people, unless of course they are a drunk mess. That's a little more difficult to endure.
Chris Shary

Postby scannest » Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:00 am

JGJR wrote:...it's nice to see another Dag board regular in the film!

Are you trying to make aquaman cry?
"It's got some great chanting on it" - gregpolard.
scannest

Postby JGJR » Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:35 am

scannest wrote:
JGJR wrote:...it's nice to see another Dag board regular in the film!

Are you trying to make aquaman cry?

Why? Did I succeed?* :lol:

*Seriously, I didn't know he was in the film. Who is he?
JGJR

Postby Chris Shary » Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:14 pm

End of the film discussing how cool it is that the band sings about fishing. He just looks as happy as can be.
Chris Shary

Postby FlexMyHead » Sat Nov 02, 2013 5:14 pm

Just saw a FILMAGE screening at The Fest 12 with around 250 other punk rockers who were on day 5 of a 6 day Fest. Was impressed. While they didn't make it 100% fan boy affair, they did bring some things up and then move right on (i.e. Tony seemed almost depressed, still to this day, about leaving the band and Scott says something like every choice he has made after leaving the band has been bad and he is now behind a bar, both of those could have been fleshed out). Didn't bring up some of the sexist/debatable lyrics either. They seemed to use a lot of other people's soundbites that weren't really around them at the time (Dave Grohl mainly). I mean Naz, Brett and Chris were actually there with them, seemed like they used Dave G cause he is famous or whatever (same with douche from Blink 182). They kinda made everyone in the band seem like they had a bit of Asperger's or some sort of anti-social/relatable issues. During the Q & A the director said that (when asked about TonyALL not being in the film) nobody wanted to talk about it, apparently Bill & the band owed him money, so the LP was made to satisfy the debt. I was always curious about why that record came to be. Anyway, there were some laugh out loud parts (mainly from Bill) and the dude next to me was crying at one point. There were like 20 second cartoons for comic relief I guess, but I heard a few "the cartoon's are garbage" comments. Apparently rough cut was 180m. I'd like to see a full set/several songs from each era.
FlexMyHead

Postby JGJR » Sat Nov 02, 2013 6:14 pm

FlexMyHead wrote:Just saw a FILMAGE screening at The Fest 12 with around 250 other punk rockers who were on day 5 of a 6 day Fest. Was impressed. While they didn't make it 100% fan boy affair, they did bring some things up and then move right on (i.e. Tony seemed almost depressed, still to this day, about leaving the band and Scott says something like every choice he has made after leaving the band has been bad and he is now behind a bar, both of those could have been fleshed out). Didn't bring up some of the sexist/debatable lyrics either. They seemed to use a lot of other people's soundbites that weren't really around them at the time (Dave Grohl mainly). I mean Naz, Brett and Chris were actually there with them, seemed like they used Dave G cause he is famous or whatever (same with douche from Blink 182). They kinda made everyone in the band seem like they had a bit of Asperger's or some sort of anti-social/relatable issues. During the Q & A the director said that (when asked about TonyALL not being in the film) nobody wanted to talk about it, apparently Bill & the band owed him money, so the LP was made to satisfy the debt. I was always curious about why that record came to be. Anyway, there were some laugh out loud parts (mainly from Bill) and the dude next to me was crying at one point. There were like 20 second cartoons for comic relief I guess, but I heard a few "the cartoon's are garbage" comments. Apparently rough cut was 180m. I'd like to see a full set/several songs from each era.

I can't wait for the DVD extras (and to see it again in a few weeks to see what I missed the first time around).
JGJR

Postby john stabb » Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:11 am

:oops: I get that it's a Descendents doc now, but I thought reading JGJR talking about Trenton, it was about The Trenton City Gardens doc. I'm all over that sucker but what the hell would I be in a doc about Descendents :?: Of course Dave's in it. Isn't he in every music doc :?: ;)
GI is a group of grown men who enjoy torturing each other and the crowd.
john stabb

Postby JGJR » Sun Nov 03, 2013 6:42 am

john stabb wrote::oops: I get that it's a Descendents doc now, but I thought reading JGJR talking about Trenton, it was about The Trenton City Gardens doc. I'm all over that sucker but what the hell would I be in a doc about Descendents :?: Of course Dave's in it. Isn't he in every music doc :?: ;)

Sorry for the confusion! I'm not sure if the City Gardens doc is out yet, but yeah I absolutely can't wait to see that one as it's been years in the works. I was supposed to be interviewed for the book version of it (which predated the film, I believe) because they needed folks who were there in the later days (early '90s) since they already had a lot of '80s testimonials, but for whatever reason, it didn't pan out.

Back to the subject at hand, though, Filmage is being screened at a place not far from where City Gardens was called Mill Hill (right in downtown Trenton), so that's what I was referring to.
JGJR

Return to daghouse