Green Day

Re: Green Day

Postby yourenotevil » Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:18 am

gregpolard wrote:1) You guys are totally derailing my Green Day thread.

a thread derailed on this board? no way!
"What the fuck? Fuck Shit up!"-Chuck Dukowski
yourenotevil

Postby JGJR » Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:14 am

2) JGJR, I still think it's insane that you take the last two SDRE LP's over the first two.
3) I was bored on Youtube last night and watched a documentary on "Dookie" that was pretty cool. They interview Paul Westerberg, Bob Mould, Elvis Costello...

1) Sorry, but going off on tangents is what we do around these parts.
2) Yeah, I know. Everyone else does, too, except for maybe one other person I know. I don't even like the s/t album at all. It sounds like an unfinished demo to me. I think I just heard that one and Diary (which I like) way too late, though, honestly. But yeah, the last two blow it out of the water in terms of songwriting, musicianship, etc.
3) I'd like to see this. Link please?
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby gregpolard » Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:18 am

JGJR wrote:
2) JGJR, I still think it's insane that you take the last two SDRE LP's over the first two.
3) I was bored on Youtube last night and watched a documentary on "Dookie" that was pretty cool. They interview Paul Westerberg, Bob Mould, Elvis Costello...

1) Sorry, but going off on tangents is what we do around these parts.
2) Yeah, I know. Everyone else does, too, except for maybe one other person I know. I don't even like the s/t album at all. It sounds like an unfinished demo to me. I think I just heard that one and Diary (which I like) way too late, though, honestly. But yeah, the last two blow it out of the water in terms of songwriting, musicianship, etc.
3) I'd like to see this. Link please?

1) It's ok. I'm used to it (sigh) haha
2) I don't mind the last two LP's but the urgency was missing. And man..."Rising Tide" is just a little too prog-rock at times. And that song "Television" straight rips off the "whoa oh" part from Pearl Jam "Jeremy". I can't get past that. haha (Save it for the rip off thread?)
3) Just Youtube "Green Day Dookie Documentary" and I'm sure it will come up.
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby JGJR » Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:26 am

gregpolard wrote:3) Just Youtube "Green Day Dookie Documentary" and I'm sure it will come up.

Is it the one that says "full documentary" or the VH1 one?
JGJR

Postby gregpolard » Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:55 am

JGJR wrote:
gregpolard wrote:3) Just Youtube "Green Day Dookie Documentary" and I'm sure it will come up.

Is it the one that says "full documentary" or the VH1 one?

Not sure, I'm at work and can't access Youtube but the one I saw was divided into like 5 parts.
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby the mean » Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:18 am

patient_ot wrote:Sorry, but when stuff like Mineral and Christie Front Drive and their ilk came around, those were just indie rock bands that happened to be marketed to hardcore kids. I didn't know anyone at the time that would've argued otherwise. Most of that stuff has held up terribly over time as well

Mineral was fucking terrible, but Christie Front Drive were/are solid dudes and a good band. They weren't really "marketed" at all. They played all the same shows as the other bands you mentioned from that era. They had major labels all over them, but directed the labels to Jimmy Eat World instead. Eric is still making good music.
the mean

Postby BAIN » Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:28 am

the mean wrote:
patient_ot wrote:Sorry, but when stuff like Mineral and Christie Front Drive and their ilk came around, those were just indie rock bands that happened to be marketed to hardcore kids. I didn't know anyone at the time that would've argued otherwise. Most of that stuff has held up terribly over time as well

Mineral was fucking terrible, but Christie Front Drive were/are solid dudes and a good band. They weren't really "marketed" at all. They played all the same shows as the other bands you mentioned from that era. They had major labels all over them, but directed the labels to Jimmy Eat World instead. Eric is still making good music.

Eric's band Golden City is pretty damn good. Was lucky enough to catch CFD at the Bell House reunion show.
Good times were had. I still have their records. I will never eBay!!!
BAIN

Postby Gary » Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:04 pm

I still love the first two Green Day records,I think after that they started to sound very,very different. We had them play here before the second one was released and they were great. They stayed at my house and were perfectly fine house guests. They saw all my bands gear stacked in my room and wanted to play a gig right there and then and I said no,fearing the trouble the noise at 3 am would have caused.

Could have been a story for the kids,haha!!
Gary

Postby akissfan » Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:51 am

You guys remember Blacklist Mailorder? Anyway, I ordered something (don't remember what) but apparently they didn't have it and they sent me 1000 Hours 7" instead. Never heard of them at the time (this is before they hit). Been listening to them ever since. My faves would be 1039/Smoothed Out Slappy Hours and Kerplunk but I enjoy all their records.
akissfan

Postby gregpolard » Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:15 am

akissfan wrote:You guys remember Blacklist Mailorder? Anyway, I ordered something (don't remember what) but apparently they didn't have it and they sent me 1000 Hours 7" instead. Never heard of them at the time (this is before they hit). Been listening to them ever since. My faves would be 1039/Smoothed Out Slappy Hours and Kerplunk but I enjoy all their records.

I like you. And man...those early records are definitely some of the best pop punk of all time, IMO.
gregpolard

Postby gregpolard » Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:26 am

Listening to the first album with the 7" bonus tracks now. Excellent stuff.
gregpolard

Postby JGJR » Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:18 am

gregpolard wrote:
akissfan wrote:You guys remember Blacklist Mailorder? Anyway, I ordered something (don't remember what) but apparently they didn't have it and they sent me 1000 Hours 7" instead. Never heard of them at the time (this is before they hit). Been listening to them ever since. My faves would be 1039/Smoothed Out Slappy Hours and Kerplunk but I enjoy all their records.

I like you. And man...those early records are definitely some of the best pop punk of all time, IMO.

Agreed! I still love all of those early records today and still them play them occasionally.
JGJR

Postby gregpolard » Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:20 am

JGJR wrote:
gregpolard wrote:

Agreed! I still love all of those early records today and still them play them occasionally.

I feel like Green Day found their sound pretty much right away too. Some of those type bands take a couple records to really hit a stride, but Green Day sounded like Green Day from the very first 7".
gregpolard

Postby FlexMyHead » Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:33 am

I don't think Green Day sound anything like Descendents (any era) and as for the Dickies, yeah they were trailblazers and had great/funny/catchy songs (and even writing their name made me start singing "Mannie Moe & Jack" in my head but they also seemed like they seriously wanted to be rock stars, like make no bones about it they would have done anything to sell records. Yes, they had songs about their cocks and played/recorded a fuck-ton of covers and I can see how that could look like Green Day continued that, but I think Green Day's banter/back and forth was always there, but apparently now it's total cheese. Before leaving Lookout!, Green Day were very very independent and came from a very DIY scene, I mean they got shit from Tim Yo and Gilman for being "too poppy" and got made fun of by 'punks' even back then. "Sour Grapes" pretty much sums up Descendents and Dickies present day complaints, IMHO.
FlexMyHead

Postby JGJR » Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:34 am

gregpolard wrote:
JGJR wrote:
gregpolard wrote:

I feel like Green Day found their sound pretty much right away too. Some of those type bands take a couple records to really hit a stride, but Green Day sounded like Green Day from the very first 7".

Indeed. It kind of blows my mind that Billie Joe wrote "Why Do You Want Him?" when he was 12 or something.
JGJR

Postby MXV » Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:39 am

I used to order tons of records from Blacklist! They were great.
The Punk Vault: http://www.punkvinyl.com
MXV

Postby JGJR » Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:41 am

FlexMyHead wrote:I don't think Green Day sound anything like Descendents (any era) and as for the Dickies, yeah they were trailblazers and had great/funny/catchy songs (and even writing their name made me start singing "Mannie Moe & Jack" in my head but they also seemed like they seriously wanted to be rock stars, like make no bones about it they would have done anything to sell records. Yes, they had songs about their cocks and played/recorded a fuck-ton of covers and I can see how that could look like Green Day continued that, but I think Green Day's banter/back and forth was always there, but apparently now it's total cheese. Before leaving Lookout!, Green Day were very very independent and came from a very DIY scene, I mean they got shit from Tim Yo and Gilman for being "too poppy" and got made fun of by 'punks' even back then. "Sour Grapes" pretty much sums up Descendents and Dickies present day complaints, IMHO.

I agree with pretty much every word of this, though the only fault The Dickies and Descendents had was that they came out with their debut Lps a good 12-15 years before America was ready to embrace pop-punk en masse.

You're right about The Dickies wanting to be rock stars badly, though. My understanding is that Leonard was very bitter about how things turned out for them. Hopefully, he isn't still, but I'm not sure. They were (and are) great, though, especially anything they released on A&M.
JGJR

Postby the mean » Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:59 am

FlexMyHead wrote:I mean they got shit from Tim Yo and Gilman for being "too poppy"

They were actually not able to get booked at Gilman for this reason.

JGJR wrote:It kind of blows my mind that Billie Joe wrote "Why Do You Want Him?" when he was 12 or something.

He also recorded a single when he was 5:
the mean

Previous

Return to daghouse