lemonheads vs nirvana

lemonheads vs nirvana

Postby clash77 » Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:52 pm

i want an honest assesment...i believe the " hate your friends" record ftom '87 was the inspiration for the ripoff record of the century" nevermind"...am i wrong?? thougts????? speak up y
clash77

Re: lemonheads vs nirvana

Postby soulforce » Sat Oct 12, 2013 12:34 am

I don't see any similarities between these two records. I thought Nirvana borrowed some ideas from the Pixies. Was "Hate Your Friends" a ripoff record too?
soulforce

Postby gregpolard » Sat Oct 12, 2013 8:36 am

I don't really see it (love both bands)

I know Kurt wasn't into the Lemonheads though. IIRC in the "Come As You Are" book by Michael Azzerad they talk a bit about how Nirvana were hoping to pave the way for cooler indie/alternative/whatever-you-wanna-call-it bands and said "and the only thing that's happened since us is the Lemonheads who are an alternative cover band" (I'm guessing based on the fact that at the time Mrs. Robinson was a huge hit)
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby yourenotevil » Sat Oct 12, 2013 9:14 am

nevermind was a good combination of influences, i would hardly call it the ripoff record of the century, and the lemonheads were not very good.
"What the fuck? Fuck Shit up!"-Chuck Dukowski
yourenotevil

Postby Gary » Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:55 am

I absolutely love the first three Lemonheads records,and have probably listened to them more than any Nirvana in the past 10 or 15 years.

I'd say,at a guess,and not including that covers record Lemonheads did a few years ago,Nirvana probably recorded more covers than Lemonheads.
Gary

Postby xxxHunterxxx » Sat Oct 12, 2013 11:44 am

There are some excellent songs on every Lemonheads record but the only truly great album they ever put out is "It's A Shame About Ray" -- the original version, not the one with the Mrs. Robinson cover tacked on.
World’s biggest Snakes fan.
xxxHunterxxx

Postby Gary » Sat Oct 12, 2013 12:15 pm

It's a shame About Ray is when I gave up. It's ok,but I liked them more when they were more noisy.
Gary

Postby xxxHunterxxx » Sat Oct 12, 2013 12:34 pm

Gary wrote:It's a shame About Ray is when I gave up. It's ok,but I liked them more when they were more noisy.

I liked the Ben Deily songs. Dando's hardcore songs always sounded forced to me.
xxxHunterxxx

Postby Gary » Sat Oct 12, 2013 1:44 pm

Can't say I noticed much,but y'know.....

Recently got reacquainted with Lovey,and there's some good tunes on it.,but it was definitely a sign of the direction they were about to go in.

Saw them on that tour a few times in the UK. They split just after.
Gary

Postby xxxHunterxxx » Sat Oct 12, 2013 1:47 pm

Gary wrote:Can't say I noticed much,but y'know.....

Recently got reacquainted with Lovey,and there's some good tunes on it.,but it was definitely a sign of the direction they were about to go in.

Saw them on that tour a few times in the UK. They split just after.

Were they any good? I saw them a bunch of times in the 80s and 90s and they were lousy--no energy. Then, I saw them in '08 with Bill Stevenson and Karl Alvarez as the rhythm section, and they were great.
xxxHunterxxx

Postby Gary » Sat Oct 12, 2013 1:54 pm

they were a bit of a car crash to be honest. Like I said,they split up just after. First one was a pretty big gig in London,Buffalo Tom opened. It was ok,then a few days later in Birmingham,Shudder To Think and Sink also played. I think Evan Dando did some tunes on his own. And was fucking around with mic hanging down from the stand and him on his knees. It was pretty bad. STT were awesome it was the Ten Spot tour,and Sink were awesome too.
Gary

Postby gregpolard » Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:45 pm

I go between "Ray" as a favorite (original version as well...no need for that pointless cover) or the s/t album with Bill and Karl. It's so solid.
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby john stabb » Sun Oct 13, 2013 10:32 pm

There is definitely no old Leamonheads influence to Nevermind. The Pixies-lifting is so incredibly blatant, I'm surprised Frank Black didn't sue them.

I'm with Hunter on the hardcore punk songs seemed forced. They sound forced on the Ryan Addams hardcore release, too. I think "It's a Shame ..." is very good, "Come on & feel the Leamonheads" is pretty good & the recent one they did w/ Descendents-folks is not bad.

I wish they recorded their garage-punk rendition of "Lick it up" (loved when they did it @ Hung Jury Pub in DC when they opened for G.I.).
GI is a group of grown men who enjoy torturing each other and the crowd.
john stabb

Postby patient_ot » Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:09 pm

The old Lemonheads stuff (like Creator, which is a decent album) sound more like Husker Du or the Replacements to me than anything else. I don't really hear a big connection b/t Lemonheads and Nirvana other than perhaps some shared influences. To me, Nirvana (circa Nevermind) is more like Cheap Trick meets the Pixies meets the Melvins.

I totally missed the boat on the later Dando-led Lemonheads and have only heard "it's a shame" a couple of times over the years at coffee shops and friend's houses.
patient_ot

Postby gregpolard » Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:38 am

john stabb wrote:There is definitely no old Leamonheads influence to Nevermind. The Pixies-lifting is so incredibly blatant, I'm surprised Frank Black didn't sue them.

I'm with Hunter on the hardcore punk songs seemed forced. They sound forced on the Ryan Addams hardcore release, too. I think "It's a Shame ..." is very good, "Come on & feel the Leamonheads" is pretty good & the recent one they did w/ Descendents-folks is not bad.

I wish they recorded their garage-punk rendition of "Lick it up" (loved when they did it @ Hung Jury Pub in DC when they opened for G.I.).

The new album produced by Ryan Adams came out???
gregpolard

Postby JGJR » Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:40 am

gregpolard wrote:
john stabb wrote:There is definitely no old Leamonheads influence to Nevermind. The Pixies-lifting is so incredibly blatant, I'm surprised Frank Black didn't sue them.

The new album produced by Ryan Adams came out???

I think stabb may have meant this (one of his collaborations with his good friend Jesse Malin).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Finger_(band)

What's funny about that collaboration is that I realize, upon reading that Wiki entry, that the one time I remember meeting Jesse was actually at Irving Plaza a few years after that collaboration came out (it was at a New York Dolls gig).

And if Ryan Adams has recorded more hardcore stuff, then I don't know about it. He may have, honestly, as I haven't followed his output that closely over the years. He's a big fan of old '80s Dischord stuff and Honor Role and I'm guessing other NC and VA/DC stuff if not more, so it wouldn't surprise me.
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby NotBaker » Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:41 pm

I like all three Taang! releases a lot, but stopped listening after Come on Feel. It sounds like one or two of the (even) later ones might be worth checking out too, but I haven't bothered yet. I don't really hear any overlap between HYF and Nevermind. I recall that in her autobiography, Julianna Hatfield mentioned that Bleach was in pretty heavy rotation in the Blake Babies tour van at one point.
NotBaker

Postby Gary » Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:24 pm

Hate Your Friends kinda reminded me of SLF a bit,but that's probably more the fact that it's quite tuneful with raspy vocals. Doesn't really sound like SLF.
Gary

Postby tango fistula » Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:06 pm

Here's my honest assessment:

Both bands are fronted by junked out pretty boys.

Both bands put out a mediocre record or two before
the big major label push.

Lemonheads had one and a half good records in them.

Nirvana had two.

REDD KROSS has SEVEN ...maybe EIGHT good records out
and fronted by TWO pretty boys and are STILL GOOD..
tango fistula

Postby JGJR » Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:01 pm

tango fistula wrote:REDD KROSS has SEVEN ...maybe EIGHT good records out
and fronted by TWO pretty boys and are STILL GOOD..

And put out their BEST RECORD EVER last year almost 35 years into their career!
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Return to daghouse