adam and the ants

adam and the ants

Postby clash77 » Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:56 pm

marco pirroni ( how mamy fuckin bands did this prick play in) The Models being the best !!! ( Freeze/ year of today) the demos are the shit!!!! folowed by Dirk...and of course Kings......anymore for the christian D'0r...ariba!!!!!
clash77

Re: adam and the ants

Postby version sound » Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:38 pm

I love all the Ants stuff. I discovered them around the same time as the Sex Pistols. I love pretty much everything through Prince Charming. The early Adam Ant solo stuff is pretty decent too.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby clash77 » Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:43 pm

version sound wrote:I love all the Ants stuff. I discovered them around the same time as the Sex Pistols. I love pretty much everything through Prince Charming. The early Adam Ant solo stuff is pretty decent too.

hey vs..check out the demos if u can find that stuff..solid shit i promise!!!
clash77

Postby version sound » Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:09 pm

I've heard the demos and I like them, but I first fell in love with them in the Marco era and didn't hear the original band until after Prince Charming, so I kind of like the poppier stuff better. I don't think I've ever been more excited to see a record in the racks than the first time Dirk Wears White Sox (finally) turned up in one of the local import sections. It's hard to muster that kind of excitement these days when virtually everything is accessible with the click of a mouse.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby Gary » Sat Oct 12, 2013 2:48 am

Dirk Wears White Sox is an all time favourite of mine. But agreed on the demos.A whole other level of awesome.

I still like most of Kings... and some of Prince Charming.

Saw him a few years ago and it was incredible,I was really surprised at how many of the early demo songs he played. Really glad I finally got to see him.

The recent single was ok,but I thought he lp was really dull. I'd hoped for better.

It's great to se his health seems to have taken a turn for the better over the last lot of years.
Gary

Postby Michele » Sun Oct 13, 2013 10:24 am

when I was 14 yo I went with some relatives to sky in the Alps, the hotel got a small disco and we were amazed by these English girls dancing Adam & The Ants in a weird but fascinating way.
This had a huge impact on me and started to love Adam & The Ants and Roxy Music... this was just few months before I discovered metal and quickly sold my soul to it.
"Punker": Damnit, your english is confusing!
"Version Sound": Damnit, your english is amazing!
"Cischord": Damnit, my English is confusing!
Michele

Postby JGJR » Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:30 am

Michele wrote:when I was 14 yo I went with some relatives to sky in the Alps, the hotel got a small disco and we were amazed by these English girls dancing Adam & The Ants in a weird but fascinating way.
This had a huge impact on me and started to love Adam & The Ants and Roxy Music... this was just few months before I discovered metal and quickly sold my soul to it.

You should go back and listen to Roxy Music, especially For Your Pleasure. They are amazing.
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby version sound » Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:57 am

Early Roxy with Eno is good. They got a little too slick for my liking after he left.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby JGJR » Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:59 am

version sound wrote:Early Roxy with Eno is good. They got a little too slick for my liking after he left.

That's the best stuff and they definitely got a lot less consistent after he left, but Stranded and Country Life are both great and the most like the Eno era. I really like Avalon a lot, too, but it's really much more of a Bryan Ferry solo project by that point and a totally different band.
JGJR

Postby danny » Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:09 am

Sorry. Marco didn't play on the original version of dirk wears white sox. That was Matthew Ashman. It was later rerecorded with the fat man on guitar. And it is an abomination compared to the original Do It release. I had the good fortune of seeing the Ants with the original line-up (which included dave barbarossa and andy warren - later of the monochrome set) at the electric ballroom. and then one of their first shows with two drummers, also at the electric ballroom with a band called martian dance. both shows were amazing...but as far as the records go, they never lived up to the first album and the first batch of singles.

i'm a big guy. i don't shy away from trouble. i've been in brawls at shows...attacked by gangs in philly...fought with skin heads in dc...but the only time i've ever been too intimidated to get down on the dance floor was in 79 at an Ants concert. It was swarming with these massive mohawk wearing, boots and leather thugs that were laying waste to the dance floor long before the concept of a "pit" was ever really coined. i was a skinny 18 year old kid - and i kept a safe distance.
danny

Postby Gary » Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:21 am

There's a rerecording of Dirk...?

I know it had a few songs swapped for the CBS release.
Gary

Postby patient_ot » Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:01 pm

I think I've only ever heard "Kings" via an old used lp I picked up around 10 years ago. I don't have it anymore and haven't heard that album in quite some time.

Re: the Monochrome Set, I'm a big fan of their first 2 albums.
patient_ot

Postby tango fistula » Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:12 pm

Adam and The Ants are actually more fun now then when I was a surly
"Black Flag kills Ants on contact!" type bandana HC punk teen...altho
I secretly liked them.

The new Adam Ant Lp is pretty ...odd. Listenable and interesting for sure.
tango fistula

Postby JGJR » Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:04 pm

patient_ot wrote:I think I've only ever heard "Kings" via an old used lp I picked up around 10 years ago. I don't have it anymore and haven't heard that album in quite some time.

They are great, aren't they? I'm bummed that I had to miss them when they came over here to play back in May. I've only ever heard those records (Love Zombies and Strange Boutique), but I have heard that their recent live shows and some of their recent records are even better!
JGJR

Postby patient_ot » Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:03 pm

JGJR wrote:
patient_ot wrote:I think I've only ever heard "Kings" via an old used lp I picked up around 10 years ago. I don't have it anymore and haven't heard that album in quite some time.

They are great, aren't they? I'm bummed that I had to miss them when they came over here to play back in May. I've only ever heard those records (Love Zombies and Strange Boutique), but I have heard that their recent live shows and some of their recent records are even better!

I had no idea that they were touring, I'd love to see them live. Their third LP, "Eligible Bachelors" is quite good but a slight step down from the first two. Their early singles are worth hearing and I think there a few different comps that round them up. The one called "Volume Contrast Brilliance" is pretty good. No idea about their later material, might have look into it.
patient_ot

Postby JGJR » Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:00 am

patient_ot wrote:
JGJR wrote:

I had no idea that they were touring, I'd love to see them live. Their third LP, "Eligible Bachelors" is quite good but a slight step down from the first two. Their early singles are worth hearing and I think there a few different comps that round them up. The one called "Volume Contrast Brilliance" is pretty good. No idea about their later material, might have look into it.

Yeah one is called the Independent Singles compilation or something similar. I have heard that as well now that I'm thinking about it, but only own a CD that came out in the mid '90s that compiles those first 2 Lps.
JGJR

Postby version sound » Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:40 am

“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby tango fistula » Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:31 am

No kidding Version!

Decent new Adam Ant song....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNoU3MDMsvo
tango fistula

Postby john stabb » Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:20 pm

The new Ant-stuff is pretty bad. My good mates Krrl & Shaun said the gig recently was quite good @ 9:30 club although the sound was bad. Heard he did a 2 hr gig. I couldn't afford to go but sounds like a fun show. 8-)
GI is a group of grown men who enjoy torturing each other and the crowd.
john stabb

Postby JGJR » Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:23 pm

version sound wrote:Image

Eh, I prefer The Monochrome Set. Sorry!
JGJR

Postby version sound » Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:43 pm

1) How much Ants stuff have you heard? "Goody Two Shoes"?
2) If you want to gab about the Monochrome Set, you could start a thread, instead of attempting to co-opt a thread about another band.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby JGJR » Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:31 am

version sound wrote:1) How much Ants stuff have you heard? "Goody Two Shoes"?
2) If you want to gab about the Monochrome Set, you could start a thread, instead of attempting to co-opt a thread about another band.

1) I have heard some of the earlier, better stuff like "Beat My Guest" and what not and quite like it, actually, though to be honest I'm nowhere near as familiar with it as you and others on here are as I didn't grow up with them, etc. It's cool that he now plays a ton of super early demo/Dirk material. I never said I didn't like the Ants, though yeah the later MTV stuff is just not my thing at all (not even the stuff I've heard from Kings, though it is better than "Goody Two Shoes," et al.)

2) I wasn't even consciously trying derail this thread, just going off on tangents like we always do. Sorry!
JGJR

Postby version sound » Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:05 am

I am not one to condemn digressions*, but if you really want to discuss Monochrome Set, more people would find it under it's own thread.

I am.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Return to daghouse