before success

before success

Postby clash77 » Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:30 pm

there are always those that are chasing success but struggle in bands that people dont know or dont care about.that's what this thread deals with..I have a few to stsrt with..feel free to add any others.
Johnny and the self abusers become Simple Minds
Seventeen become the Alarm
Graduate become Tears for Fears
The Killjoys ( kevin Rowland) forms Dexys midnight Runners
and of course i cant leave out the 101ers..and we know the rest
Obviously, the latter was pretty sad except for Strummer..
clash77

Re: before success

Postby clash77 » Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:37 pm

correction..The Alarm were a great band!!! I think they still tour occasionally..saw them once in '89 or '90..Great gig
clash77

Postby JGJR » Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:55 pm

clash77 wrote:there are always those that are chasing success but struggle in bands that people dont know or dont care about.that's what this thread deals with..I have a few to stsrt with..feel free to add any others.

Billy Idol (Generation X) is an obvious one here.

I'm not sure if anyone else in Talk Talk aside from Mark Hollis was in The Reaction, but they did record the original version of "Talk Talk" back in '77 and it, of course, was very different from the better-known '82 hit version.

I'm also not sure what you mean about the 101'ers. Some of those other guys were later in bands ranging from PiL to Strummer's Mescaleros and Tymon Dogg was on Sandinista! (of course).
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby James » Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:10 pm

When Bryan Adams was 15, he sang in a glam rock band called Sweeney Todd and even recorded an album with them.
Formerly known as Jimmy Heartburn
James

Postby clash77 » Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:27 pm

JGJR wrote:
clash77 wrote:there are always those that are chasing success but struggle in bands that people dont know or dont care about.that's what this thread deals with..I have a few to stsrt with..feel free to add any others.

Billy Idol (Generation X) is an obvious one here.

I'm not sure if anyone else in Talk Talk aside from Mark Hollis was in The Reaction, but they did record the original version of "Talk Talk" back in '77 and it, of course, was very different from the better-known '82 hit version.i know what your saying matt but I cant put PIL in the same category as The Clash..And i dont consider the Mescaleros a success..we differ on opinions..but thats ok

I'm also not sure what you mean about the 101'ers. Some of those other guys were later in bands ranging from PiL to Strummer's Mescaleros and Tymon Dogg was on Sandinista! (of course).
clash77

Postby JGJR » Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:14 pm

clash77 wrote:i know what your saying matt but I cant put PIL in the same category as The Clash..And i dont consider the Mescaleros a success..we differ on opinions..but thats ok

I think PiL were amazing in the late '70s and pretty good in the early to mid '80s. I can't imagine them being your thing, though. Or am I wrong?

I really liked Streetcore, the last Joe Strummer & The Mescaleros album, but didn't care much for the two before it (they were OK).
JGJR

Postby clash77 » Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:22 pm

JGJR wrote:
clash77 wrote:i know what your saying matt but I cant put PIL in the same category as The Clash..And i dont consider the Mescaleros a success..we differ on opinions..but thats ok

I think PiL were amazing in the late '70s and pretty good in the early to mid '80s. I can't imagine them being your thing, though. Or am I wrong?

I really liked Streetcore, the last Joe Strummer & The Mescaleros album, but didn't care much for the two before it (they were OK).

i like you too much as it is.... haha stop matt..u too cool! we will talk..adam and the ants on now..it may be cheese but I love this stuff!!!"!!
clash77

Postby Gary » Sat Oct 12, 2013 2:52 am

Billy Idol had also been in Chelsea,Bas player from the Killjoys went on to be in Girlschool.

Duff from GnR was in a ton of punk bands- Fastbacks,Vains,Fartz,Silly Killers

Dave Grohl..he was in some bands..right?
Gary

Postby Janelle » Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:35 am

JGJR wrote:

Yeah, late-'70s PiL was pretty cool!

So true he hates them.
When your number's up be what you are
Janelle

Postby Janelle » Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:40 am

JGJR wrote:

You know what about The Mescaleros? I always knew the nameand that they were on Hellcat. But I never got the records. Then I saw a movie on Showtime (I think!) about Joe and the end, when they roll the credits, they had this KILLER song. And I had to find it. "Get Down Moses." From, then I found, 'Streetcore'!!

OMG but about them being on Hellcat. Tim Armstrong must've died when they signed ha :)
Janelle

Postby Janelle » Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:40 am

JGJR wrote:

I think PiL were amazing in the late '70s and pretty good in the early to mid '80s. I can't imagine them being your thing, though. .

Ha oh this just reminds me, I'm playing SSD right now and I just think of Matt all the time with "How Much Art"!!!!!!!!!!!! can you take?!!!!!!!!!

I wanna hear Clash77 go off on Wire (I know you like Pink Flag but nada after that) and the whole post-punk moniker that they were called (even though Pink Flag came out in '77). And the potential Bauhaus had and squandered (not! in my opinion! - I mean, I LOVE it)
Janelle

Postby JGJR » Sun Oct 13, 2013 10:14 am

Janelle wrote:
JGJR wrote:

I think PiL were amazing in the late '70s and pretty good in the early to mid '80s. I can't imagine them being your thing, though. .

Ha oh this just reminds me, I'm playing SSD right now and I just think of Matt all the time with "How Much Art"!!!!!!!!!!!! can you take?!!!!!!!!!

I wanna hear Clash77 go off on Wire (I know you like Pink Flag but nada after that) and the whole post-punk moniker that they were called (even though Pink Flag came out in '77). And the potential Bauhaus had and squandered (not! in my opinion! - I mean, I LOVE it)

Sorry clash77, but we'll have to agree to disagree here. My favorite Bauhaus album is The Sky's Gone Out, but I'm not much of a fan of Burning from the Inside other than a few songs. It's really a Love and Rockets album in disguise. Anyway, their first two albums are the ones that everyone seems to jock and they are great, but TSGO is the one I got first, so...Plus, it has that awesome Eno cover on it!

And Pink Flag is awesome and massively influential, but Chairs Missing and especially 154 are my favorites of theirs. Stunning stuff. I love punk and hardcore, but maybe when it comes down to it, I prefer post-punk (especially as I've gotten older)? It depends on what mood I'm in, really.
JGJR

Postby Janelle » Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:10 am

JGJR wrote:
Janelle wrote:
JGJR wrote:

Sorry clash77, but we'll have to agree to disagree here. My favorite Bauhaus album is The Sky's Gone Out, but I'm not much of a fan of Burning from the Inside other than a few songs. It's really a Love and Rockets album in disguise. Anyway, their first two albums are the ones that everyone seems to jock and they are great, but TSGO is the one I got first, so...Plus, it has that awesome Eno cover on it!

And Pink Flag is awesome and massively influential, but Chairs Missing and especially 154 are my favorites of theirs. Stunning stuff. I love punk and hardcore, but maybe when it comes down to it, I prefer post-punk (especially as I've gotten older)? It depends on what mood I'm in, really.

Sky's Gone Out is awesome (just for that cover photo! I know, not really)!!Then if I can admit to "you people!" and know I can cause even if I say stupid things or meanly, I don't mean anything badly towards anyone! - and I noticed this we can have tiffs and disagree with people but its not
personal you know? Okay, anyway, Ew listen to this - the first Bauhaus song I heard was a "video" of "Bela Lugosi 's Dead'!!!!!!! I heard that baseline and needed it like that time right now! ha. Then I got stuff at some record stores that bought/sold used stuff and got 'Crackle' a best of and Bauhaus 'Volume one' and then the only one full album I have is that 'The Sky's Gone Out.' And there's so much good stuff on all this stuff... That's the nutty part...

Hate to burst the Clash77 haters bubbles (I think I'm kidding?!) :) he showed me "Hair Of The Dog"!!!!!!!!!! And I'm like!!!!!!!! Ahhhhhhhhh I didn't have that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And it's like one of the best songs
Janelle

Postby xxxHunterxxx » Sun Oct 13, 2013 1:01 pm

Travis McNabb was in the Wipers before he joined Better than Ezra and Sugarland.
World’s biggest Snakes fan.
xxxHunterxxx

Postby Gary » Sun Oct 13, 2013 1:24 pm

Dave Murray and Adrian Smith were in Urchin
Bruce Dickinson was in Samson
Janick Jers was in White Spirit
Nicko Mc Brain was in Trust (who were pretty big themselves)

All from Iron Maiden (of course!!)
Gary

Postby akissfan » Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:18 pm

Jimmy Page had quite a history before Zeppelin.
akissfan

Postby akissfan » Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:20 pm

Sammy Hagar had quite a history before Van Halen.
akissfan

Postby akissfan » Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:23 pm

Wasn't Brian Johnson a bit successful in another Australian band before joining AC/DC?
akissfan

Postby akissfan » Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:24 pm

Kirk was in Exodus before Metallisuks.
akissfan

Postby the mean » Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:10 pm

akissfan wrote:Wasn't Brian Johnson a bit successful in another Australian band before joining AC/DC?

Geordie. They were British, not Australian, though.
the mean

Postby patient_ot » Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:01 pm

clash77 wrote:Johnny and the self abusers become Simple Minds

I'm sure many of the people on this board are already aware of this, but Simple Minds put out a slew of good to great records in their early years, that are nothing like the mid '80s sellout stuff. I think "Empires and Dance" (from 1980) is one of the best post-punk records of the early 80s and is my favorite by them by far. To anyone that's not heard it, you're missing out big time.
patient_ot

Postby yourenotevil » Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:55 am

Gary wrote:Dave Murray and Adrian Smith were in Urchin
Bruce Dickinson was in Samson
Janick Jers was in White Spirit
Nicko Mc Brain was in Trust (who were pretty big themselves)

All from Iron Maiden (of course!!)

i never heard urchin, but i am guessing they sound like 70s prog rock or something.

samson had like 2 good songs on the first record.

that white spirit is fucking awesome and it's shame they don't get the praise/respect that half of the shitty NWOBHM bands seem to get.
"What the fuck? Fuck Shit up!"-Chuck Dukowski
yourenotevil

Postby WrEtcH » Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:07 am

Madonna was in the Breakfast Club
Courtney Love was in Faith No More and Pagan Babies
which also included Janis Tanaka who played with Hammers Of Misfortune, L7 and some vocalist named Pink
Belinda Carlisle briefly was a member of the Germs
Avengers guitarist James Calvin Wilsey eventually joined Chris Issak's band Silvertone
Bryan "Brain" Mantia played in the Limbomaniacs and Primus before joining Guns N Roses
^v^
WrEtcH

Postby akissfan » Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:41 am

the mean wrote:
akissfan wrote:Wasn't Brian Johnson a bit successful in another Australian band before joining AC/DC?

Damn, I was way off. I always assumed Johnson was from Australia.
akissfan

Postby JGJR » Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:48 am

Janelle wrote:Sky's Gone Out is awesome (just for that cover photo! I know, not really)!!Then if I can admit to "you people!" and know I can cause even if I say stupid things or meanly, I don't mean anything badly towards anyone! - and I noticed this we can have tiffs and disagree with people but its not
personal you know? Okay, anyway, Ew listen to this - the first Bauhaus song I heard was a "video" of "Bela Lugosi 's Dead'!!!!!!! I heard that baseline and needed it like that time right now! ha. Then I got stuff at some record stores that bought/sold used stuff and got 'Crackle' a best of and Bauhaus 'Volume one' and then the only one full album I have is that 'The Sky's Gone Out.' And there's so much good stuff on all this stuff... That's the nutty part...

Hate to burst the Clash77 haters bubbles (I think I'm kidding?!) :) he showed me "Hair Of The Dog"!!!!!!!!!! And I'm like!!!!!!!! Ahhhhhhhhh I didn't have that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And it's like one of the best songs

Of course we can all try to disagree without getting personal (I hope), especially about music and the like.

Regardless, the first Bauhaus song I ever knowingly heard was either their cover of "Ziggy Stardust" and that was on 120 Minutes or maybe when I popped in the tape of The Sky's Gone Out that I bought after seeing kids wear their t-shirts at a Jane's Addiction gig I saw right before that in 1991, so I may have heard them for the first time that way (bought one of their albums without even hearing it). I loved it, in any case, and still do, so it was a good purchase and I have owned that album on all 3 formats over the years! I still have the CD (wish I still had the vinyl; sigh). I honestly can't remember which I heard first, though!

Anyway, I wonder if the video of "Bela Lugoi's Dead" is the full-length, 9-minute plus single version that's now only available on Crackle or an abridged one.

And I had a dub of the 2xLp 1979-1983 (Volume One is, I believe, the first Lp of that set) set as a kid, so that's how I first heard their earlier stuff.
JGJR

Postby JGJR » Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:51 am

the mean wrote:

They were from Newcastle, I believe. Yep (thus the name makes sense; it's slang for a person from that part of England).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geordie_(band)

I found it funny that Brian Johnson's pre-AC/DC band and Killing Joke's awesome guitarist share a (nick)name.
JGJR

Postby JGJR » Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:55 am

WrEtcH wrote:Avengers guitarist James Calvin Wilsey eventually joined Chris Issak's band Silvertone

Re: The Avengers, just a slight correction. Jimmy Wilsey was their bassist, not their guitarist (the incredible Greg Ingraham, who still plays with them today) and yes he played with Chris Isaak and also wrote the riff for "Wicked Game"!
JGJR

Postby JGJR » Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:57 am

patient_ot wrote:
clash77 wrote:Johnny and the self abusers become Simple Minds

I'm sure many of the people on this board are already aware of this, but Simple Minds put out a slew of good to great records in their early years, that are nothing like the mid '80s sellout stuff. I think "Empires and Dance" (from 1980) is one of the best post-punk records of the early 80s and is my favorite by them by far. To anyone that's not heard it, you're missing out big time.

Change the above to New Gold Dream and I concur 100%. Regardless, you are clearly after my heart with these kinds of posts.
JGJR

Postby yourenotevil » Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:28 am

WrEtcH wrote:Madonna was in the Breakfast Club
Courtney Love was in Faith No More and Pagan Babies
which also included Janis Tanaka who played with Hammers Of Misfortune, L7 and some vocalist named Pink
Belinda Carlisle briefly was a member of the Germs
Avengers guitarist James Calvin Wilsey eventually joined Chris Issak's band Silvertone
Bryan "Brain" Mantia played in the Limbomaniacs and Primus before joining Guns N Roses

brain was also in godflesh for about a year and did songs of love and hate with them.
"What the fuck? Fuck Shit up!"-Chuck Dukowski
yourenotevil

Postby Gary » Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:25 am

Paul Raven from Killing Joke was in the Neon Hearts
Gary

Postby patient_ot » Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:06 pm

JGJR wrote:

Change the above to New Gold Dream and I concur 100%. Regardless, you are clearly after my heart with these kinds of posts.

Well, I think pretty much everything they did through "Sparkle in the Rain" is worth hearing. After that is when they went crap.

You're not on Rateyourmusic by chance, are you?
patient_ot

Postby JGJR » Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:50 pm

patient_ot wrote:
JGJR wrote:

Well, I think pretty much everything they did through "Sparkle in the Rain" is worth hearing. After that is when they went crap.

I am not. Why? I am familiar with most of their stuff up to and including New Gold Dream, but when they started to wanna be U2 is when I get off their train generally speaking. They were great when they wanted to be Roxy Music, though!
JGJR

Postby clash77 » Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:28 pm

some great posts here!..thats why we do this! good stuff!
clash77

Postby patient_ot » Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:08 pm

JGJR wrote:
patient_ot wrote:
JGJR wrote:

I am not. Why? I am familiar with most of their stuff up to and including New Gold Dream, but when they started to wanna be U2 is when I get off their train generally speaking. They were great when they wanted to be Roxy Music, though!

Oh, I like to check out RYM now and again for recommendations from other users.
patient_ot

Postby crus » Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:05 am

clash77 wrote:correction..The Alarm were a great band!!! I think they still tour occasionally..saw them once in '89 or '90..Great gig

I've heard good things about their recent albums although I think they're now Mike Peters and some other guys. I haven't heard any of their stuff since Change which was boring.
crus

Postby john stabb » Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:27 pm

Bravo on a really cool thread, Clash77 :!:

Y Tori Can't Read had Tori Amos get brainwashed into dumping her band & doing her annoying but popular status.
Vicious Circle had all original members become TSOL.
Dimwit from D.O.A. & Ben Pape from Dove went into the forming of Four Horsemen.
Brian Baker, Chris Gates (Big Boys) formed Junkyard.
Chris & Tom Gorman did the hardcore thing in Verbal Assault but hooked up with Throwing Muses, Tanya Donelly for Belly.
J. Mascis & Lou Barlow went from Deep Wound to the (took a while but ...) hugely popular Dinosaur Jr.
And obviously Henry (Black Flag) made a whole lot more dough in Rollins Band. Even a zillion times bigger on his own.
And am I wrong that both Ian McColluch & Julian Cope had a band before Echo & the Bunnymen + Teardrop Explodes? Version? JGJR? I bow down to yr knowledge.

And Simple Minds were amazing early on & the first 3 Echo & Bunnymen albums were brilliant esp: Ocean Rain & Porcupine.
GI is a group of grown men who enjoy torturing each other and the crowd.
john stabb

Postby JGJR » Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:46 pm

john stabb wrote:And am I wrong that both Ian McColluch & Julian Cope had a band before Echo & the Bunnymen + Teardrop Explodes? Version? JGJR? I bow down to yr knowledge.

And Simple Minds were amazing early on & the first 3 Echo & Bunnymen albums were brilliant esp: Ocean Rain & Porcupine.

You're not wrong on either of those counts. The band that Ian McCulloch, Julian Cope and Pete Wylie from Wah (and later Wah Heat!) were in was called The Crucial Three, although I don't think they were ever a real group so much as an idea. I've read things where Ian and maybe Julian have talked about in those terms like they all wanted to be part of a group, but they just didn't have one yet.* It's pretty amazing that they all turned out to be well-known and to occasionally do amazing stuff (esp. the Bunnymen and Cope's writing, though I really like some of his music, too).

And just a slight correction: I'd say the 1st 4 Bunnymen albums were absolutely brilliant since Ocean Rain was their fourth.

*Their Wiki page claims that they actually had four songs and played out a bit, though. Hmm.
JGJR

Postby john stabb » Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:49 pm

Thank you, JGJR. I should've remembered our own Peter Cortner titled a Dag-song "The Crucial 3" in reference to that short-lived project.

And I wasn't a huge fan of "Heaven up Here" so I prefer: Crocodiles, Porcupine & Ocean Rain. I thought "Lips like Sugar" was ok but never really dug any other Bunnymen albums much after that song.
john stabb

Postby JGJR » Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:35 am

john stabb wrote:Thank you, JGJR. I should've remembered our own Peter Cortner titled a Dag-song "The Crucial 3" in reference to that short-lived project.

And I wasn't a huge fan of "Heaven up Here" so I prefer: Crocodiles, Porcupine & Ocean Rain. I thought "Lips like Sugar" was ok but never really dug any other Bunnymen albums much after that song.

You're not missing much re: their post-Ocean Rain output (at least what I've heard of it). They definitely peaked then. I really like "Bring on the Dancing Horses" (their song from Pretty in Pink), but yeah I'm not a fan of the '87 s/t Lp (earthdog loves it, though) at all. They really lost their way then IMO, though it is not terrible and has its moments. Reverberation (the record they did with a different singer) is pretty good, but not real Bunnymen. Of their comeback albums, the ones I've heard at least, Siberia was by far the best and I listened to it a lot when it came out in 2005 but ultimately the fact that Ian sounds like he can't hit the notes anymore make it much less memorable, as does their lack of a distinctive rhythm section like the one they had in the '80s.

You should go back to Heaven Up Here, though. It's their heaviest record and for me was a bit of a grower, but I love it, especially its 1st 3 songs. Early '80s UK post-punk stuff rarely got more intense unless you're talking about Killing Joke and stuff in that vein and I am not saying that lightly!
JGJR

Postby john stabb » Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:35 pm

Yes, Bring on the Dancing Horses is a pretty good song. I'm thankful Edog burned me their current stuff but it really did nothing for me. Yeah, Ian's great voice is no more & he's lost too many great band-members. And it's sad that my friend Stain took a picture of Ian hanging in a Toledo club & all the girls there thought he was some old guy with make-up. No clue of the once legendary pretty boy in Pop-hits zine.
john stabb

Postby patient_ot » Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:28 pm

The thing with Heaven Up Here is that the middle section of the record drags a bit. It's also my favorite Bunnymen record despite that, but I can see why some people might not like it.

I've read the Ian Mc. lost his voice primarily due to smoking cigarettes. Not sure if that's true, but it seems plausible.
patient_ot

Postby JGJR » Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:47 pm

patient_ot wrote:The thing with Heaven Up Here is that the middle section of the record drags a bit. It's also my favorite Bunnymen record despite that, but I can see why some people might not like it.

I've read the Ian Mc. lost his voice primarily due to smoking cigarettes. Not sure if that's true, but it seems plausible.

I agree re: Heaven Up Here. It is definitely front-loaded and like I said before, it took me a long time to really appreciate.

You're correct about how and why Mac lost his voice. I've also heard that how good he sounds on a given night is dependent upon how much he'd smoked that day.
JGJR

Postby patient_ot » Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:04 pm

Just remembered this...

Neil Young and Rick James were in a band together.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Mynah_Birds
patient_ot

Postby JGJR » Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:50 pm

patient_ot wrote:Just remembered this...

Neil Young and Rick James were in a band together.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Mynah_Birds

Hendrix did session work for all sorts of artists before becoming a solo artist.
JGJR

Return to daghouse