Alternate Top 10

Alternate Top 10

Postby version sound » Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:37 am

These are my favorites that always get squeezed out of the top 10 by "classics".

Butterfly Child - The Honeymoon Suite
Telescopes - Taste
Spiritualized - Pure Phase
The Primitives - Crash
The Sundays - Reading, Writing, and Arithmetic
The Wedding Present - Bizarro
JAMC - Psychocandy
Swervedriver - Mezcal Head
The House of Love - S/T (Creation)
Everything Rowland S. Howard ever played on
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Re: Alternate Top 10

Postby patient_ot » Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:44 pm

I always have a really tough time making these kinds of lists.

Nice to see some praise for HOL. I can never pick which is my favorite album by them out of the first 3 and the odds and ends comp "A Spy"...there are so many great songs across all of those that it would be hard for me to pick just one. I dig their Peel Session stuff a lot too.

Do you have the 3xCD reissue of the self-titled? I've been eyeing that one for a little while.

RE: the Telescopes, never heard any of their albums but I used to dig their 12'' e.p.s which of course I don't have anymore. I know some of them were compiled on CD but I'm annoyed that "7# disaster" wasn't. That is a killer 12'' that's a lot more aggro than the other stuff I've heard by them.

Re: the Primitives, I've only got a 2xCD of their early singles and bbc sessions. How does that album compare?
patient_ot

Postby version sound » Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:28 pm

patient_ot wrote:I always have a really tough time making these kinds of lists.

Nice to see some praise for HOL. I can never pick which is my favorite album by them out of the first 3 and the odds and ends comp "A Spy"...there are so many great songs across all of those that it would be hard for me to pick just one. I dig their Peel Session stuff a lot too.

Do you have the 3xCD reissue of the self-titled? I've been eyeing that one for a little while.

RE: the Telescopes, never heard any of their albums but I used to dig their 12'' e.p.s which of course I don't have anymore. I know some of them were compiled on CD but I'm annoyed that "7# disaster" wasn't. That is a killer 12'' that's a lot more aggro than the other stuff I've heard by them.

Re: the Primitives, I've only got a 2xCD of their early singles and bbc sessions. How does that album compare?

I love all HOL, but the two self-titled ones are my favorites.

If you dig 7th# Disaster, you should definitely try Taste. It's pretty nasty.

Crash is more polished than the early singles, but in a good way.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby JGJR » Fri Oct 11, 2013 2:58 pm

version sound wrote:These are my favorites that always get squeezed out of the top 10 by "classics".

Butterfly Child - The Honeymoon Suite
Telescopes - Taste
Spiritualized - Pure Phase
The Primitives - Crash
The Sundays - Reading, Writing, and Arithmetic
The Wedding Present - Bizarro
JAMC - Psychocandy
Swervedriver - Mezcal Head
The House of Love - S/T (Creation)
Everything Rowland S. Howard ever played on

Uh, Psychocandy, Mezcal Head and the s/t House of Love (along with anything The Birthday Party released, though I sense you really means RSH' solo stuff) are rightly considered classics. You have to know that, right?
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby JGJR » Fri Oct 11, 2013 3:01 pm

To add to the House of Love discussion, their new one She Paints Words in Red is a stunning album. To be honest, I'm not familiar with their stuff past the Fontana s/t and before this new one aside from some singles, but it's as good as the old stuff though without an absolute stunner like "I Don't Know Why I Love You" or "Destroy the Heart" or "Shine On" or you get the idea.

Also, this is like a Brit-pop sub-forum. I love it.
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Return to daghouse